KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

13 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

I could fairly easily add those roads. However I'm worried the world would be too cluttered by roads. Also a few people said they like to find isolated pois. Perhaps this could be a topic of discussion here to see what the community prefers.

I reviewed your generator on the my youtube channel and some viewers said it was a flaw.
By the way, the generator has the ability to draw a road map for the generator, but what color the roads should be, I did not find in the instructions.

Wrong. This is a radiation map (

As I can see, the generator does not create dirt roads. I think such roads would be great if they connected lonely buildings and main roads.

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

Tell me how to use the Splat file.
If I generate the map several times with the same settings, the objects in the wilderness remain in the same places.
I take previews and connect single locations to the main road.
Create splat file and add it to generator.
But after generation, single locations change their location and the roads are already useless)

4 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

Could 'increased roads' be an option so the user could decide? I'm happy as it is but I'd certainly experiment with more roads if the option was there. 

I keep messing with this as well. Don't forget our canyon project. lol. I've been experimenting with heightmaps per you video (thank you btw it was awesome!).

I'm finding that rather than KG doing the terrain smoothing, it's a lot easier to apply a blur filter (sometimes blur it a lot) to the heightmap image itself. It keeps the very high mountains. The blurry shades of gray are gradual inclines

1 minute ago, DJQuad said:

I keep messing with this as well. Don't forget our canyon project. lol. I've been experimenting with heightmaps per you video (thank you btw it was awesome!).

I'm finding that rather than KG doing the terrain smoothing, it's a lot easier to apply a blur filter (sometimes blur it a lot) to the heightmap image itself. It keeps the very high mountains. The blurry shades of gray are gradual inclines

Absolutely! A little gaussian blur helps graduate hills nicely. I'm pleased the video was helpful. I'll have a play with the canyon map this week and maybe put a quick video together on that. 

Please do :) https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/#9.70833/36.2672/-112.6010

Desert along the canyon, snow to the high areas, forest to the mid areas. No clue where wasteland and burnt areas would be. lol

I just wish there was a way to sort of draw where lakes, roads, and (broken) bridge POIs would be. I really loved how Navezgane did that, and it's of course possible to pull the huge canyon mine and broken bridge POIs from prefabs.xml. I'm trying to sort of recreate that part, but I'm finding out it's not so easy. lol

I know it's pretty ironic that we're trying to apply very specific things to something random. It's a work in progress but we're actually making progress :)

Edited by DJQuad (see edit history)

I would like to say the work here is amazing guys, Thank you so much KingSlayerGM creating and continuing to improve on such an awesome and useful tool for 7D2D. I'd also like to say thank you very much to Tallman Brad for his extremely helpful tutorials!

Made myself an awesome little 8k map last night thanks to both of y'all and I've been drawing out sketches of new ideas all morning 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, StinkieNinji said:

I would like to say the work here is amazing guys, Thank you so much KingSlayerGM creating and continuing to improve on such an awesome and useful tool for 7D2D. I'd also like to say thank you very much to Tallman Brad for his extremely helpful tutorials!

Made myself an awesome little 8k map last night thanks to both of y'all and I've been drawing out sketches of new ideas all morning 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thank you for that! Very kind of you. I'm really pleased the videos have helped. 

@KingSlayerGM I'm finding that KingGen isn't adding a lot of the POIs in Compo Pack, which makes sense since there are a ton of them. Would it be fairly easy for KingGen to compare the generated prefabs.xml to the supplied POIs list? A "diff" between these 2 files would then show a list of POIs not contained in prefabs.xml.

Granted, a 4k map would unlikely contain all of the POIs, while a 16k map probably would. From what I understand, generating POIs is pretty much RNG.

Anyhoo, I guess you can consider this a feature request if it's easy to do. :)

Edited by DJQuad (see edit history)

7 hours ago, DJQuad said:

@KingSlayerGM I'm finding that KingGen isn't adding a lot of the POIs in Compo Pack, which makes sense since there are a ton of them. Would it be fairly easy for KingGen to compare the generated prefabs.xml to the supplied POIs list? A "diff" between these 2 files would then show a list of POIs not contained in prefabs.xml.

Granted, a 4k map would unlikely contain all of the POIs, while a 16k map probably would. From what I understand, generating POIs is pretty much RNG.

Anyhoo, I guess you can consider this a feature request if it's easy to do. :)

This is a problem even outside of KG, its the same for Nitro and for RWG. The collection is growing and continues to grow. Either use a larger map, or use different groups for different maps. I tend to drop the worst performing ones, they are not terribly difficult to find when you know what names to look out for 😛

I do it by script, as do a few of the overhaul Admins. You can also hand place the giant stuff like airports, its nice to have those in.

41 minutes ago, Cpt Krunch said:

This is a problem even outside of KG, its the same for Nitro and for RWG. The collection is growing and continues to grow. Either use a larger map, or use different groups for different maps. I tend to drop the worst performing ones, they are not terribly difficult to find when you know what names to look out for 😛

I do it by script, as do a few of the overhaul Admins. You can also hand place the giant stuff like airports, its nice to have those in.

I don't suppose you have a list of poor performing poi's you could share? Also if you had any form of list that contains your more favoured poi's? I'm ideally looking for some sort of top 10 or top 40 ranked prefabs so I can cut the numbers down a little and give the better poi's a chance at being spawned. 

1 hour ago, Tallman Brad said:

I don't suppose you have a list of poor performing poi's you could share? Also if you had any form of list that contains your more favoured poi's? I'm ideally looking for some sort of top 10 or top 40 ranked prefabs so I can cut the numbers down a little and give the better poi's a chance at being spawned. 

Here is the Python script that will give you the tri and vert counts, was given to me by a user making lists over at Undead Legacy, definitely worth running this from time to time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SARiq7frs1T57zOG4BY0GvrW8POJ9x3S/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Cpt Krunch (see edit history)

Good Morning. Sorry to bug you guys: I've looked at the (very useful) script, downloaded and installed the latest Py - ran the script just fine, but I have no idea where on earth the output is. The cli asks for the Prefabs folder location, and then just runs without asking for an output filename or location, and then simply closes. I've used GrepWin to look everywhere for an output file - something which includes the word, such as  *prefab".* - including *.csv, but nothing pops up, and - not being a strong programmer to start with - and never having even looked at Python - I could use a bit of a hint please....  I have no idea what the filename is supposed to be.
Thanks. . . . .  :classic_sad:

pj

Maybe I've found the output(s)...

<property class="Stats"> - within each prefab's xml file???????  Is that where it puts the stats?

Nope, still can't find a "prefab_stats.csv"  file. I created an empty one, both in the script's folder and in the Prefabs folder. It "seems" like the " print("## File: "+filename)" part of the script just doesn't happen . . .   (sigh)

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

Maybe I've found the output(s)...

<property class="Stats"> - within each prefab's xml file???????  Is that where it puts the stats?

Nope, still can't find a "prefab_stats.csv"  file. I created an empty one, both in the script's folder and in the Prefabs folder. It "seems" like the " print("## File: "+filename)" part of the script just doesn't happen . . .   (sigh)

I'm in the same boat. Ran the script, you can see it doing something, then the window closes and I've no idea where the output file is supposed to be

Edit: Just got it to work somehow. Added this line to the end of the script input("Press Enter to finish...") and when it was done the file output in the same folder the script was in (for me it was the downloads folder

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

Aaaaaahhhh.. .. . . ..    Open up your CMD window, type or copy in the path to the script, then, at the prompt - type:    python prefab_stats.py    This will run the script and will stop at the file end, and leave the window open. It will list each entry, per the pics below.

1). The first command. . .

Py_script2.JPG Hit 'Enter'

2). As it begins to run . . .

Py_script3.JPG

3). Sample of the full run.

Py_script1.JPG

It's a bit of a PITA, but I will dig into actually saving it as a csv text file, as the script itself implies it is doing (I think . . . . .). I'm sure there must be someone here who knows this stuff backwards, though . . . . but I suppose this is how we learn. 

Yup!! Exactly - not implying - the csv is created, and it sits right where the script itself is.  Yahoo! Great tool!  Dontcha love this hobby!

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

I do have a bit of a problem with the maps i generate. First of all, the cities are always in the desert. Always. A city that is only on the forest or even just mostly in the forest biome doesn´t happen.

And i never get a vanilla hospital on my maps. Using CP47.

Tested 30 different maps now every time both of the above was true.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

This is a problem even outside of KG, its the same for Nitro and for RWG. The collection is growing and continues to grow. Either use a larger map, or use different groups for different maps.

Yeah that's why I was suggesting some sort of tool that would compare the 2 lists and output a list of POIs that didn't make it. Should I just generate a 16k map and hope for the best? lol

3 hours ago, DJQuad said:

Yeah that's why I was suggesting some sort of tool that would compare the 2 lists and output a list of POIs that didn't make it. Should I just generate a 16k map and hope for the best? lol

Im sure someone could write something fairly easy. I personally use MS excel with a plugin called Able-bits, but Im certain someone could script this. Its just a matter of comparing what you have in your mixer file (prefabslist,rwgmixer, etc) vs whats in the prefabs.xml for any given map.

That said, I think this strategy overall is not going to be sustainable. I dont think the CP set is ever going to stop growing. At some point soon (if not already), this will turn into a question of quality vs quantity. There is only so much room on a map. When youve reached a point where the maps are just giant parking lots full of prefabs, you have to ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish?

Ive been talking to King about this pretty regularly, and there are definitely some new options coming soon. Once the option exists to place smaller, more specific custom groups of prefabs together, this will get easier to do, and youll be able to include or exclude entire groups of prefabs based on preference. A good example of this would be the Asian village set or the old west set. I like both of those sets, but at the same time, i dont want to see those pieces mixed in with either modern cities or say a burnt out neighborhood of old houses, it just looks awful and make no sense.
2021-07-13_05h29_01.thumb.png.31d5ddc8690bbae0fe7fada4f7bc4fdf.png
Once sets can go in together, I really hope prefabbers will start focusing on making smaller sets as opposed to trying to fit it all into one single poor performing ridiculous mega prefab. Those absolutely kill performance, with map placements that are moderately to severely limited due to their giant size.

2 hours ago, DJQuad said:

Yeah I hear ya! I quickly noticed with most POIs they tend to jam in everything under the sun. 

If this doesn't cover it I don't know what will 😃

King will come up with something good for a 'unique' prefab tag I have no doubt. This will really be helpful in the case of CP. The above map you posted is 100% what i was talking about when i say parking lot full of prefabs lol. Its like a prefab yardsale!

If you really want to take it to that extreme, you are better off just making a flat map and then draw in some lakes and rivers and plop a mountain or hill in an empty spot after the map has been generated lol.

Edited by Cpt Krunch (see edit history)