Please fix the AP ammo!

Pybounce

I've been here before (previous alpha) and they said it was fixed in a patch note so either I'm doing something wrong or they are.
Basically the AP ammo says that it should do more damage to armoured targets since it ignores 20% of their armour, but when testing this in 'god mode' with cheats, the health bar goes down by the same amount when I'm using AP and normal ammo. I've tried this on a bunch of different zombies, with different weapons/ammo and by shooting them in different areas but the AP ammo still seems to not ignore that 20% of armour. However I didn't test the penetration, but even if that works, the armour mitigation doesn't.
Please let me know if I'm just doing something wrong here, thanks!

At least AP ammo's other main benefit still works as they still hit multiple zombies if they're lined up if you have the right weapon/perk combo.  But damage wise your better off with HP ammo especially when clearing POIs and while on horde night if you have a kill corridor then AP is best as your shots will hit 2 to 3 zombies at a time.

9 hours ago, Pybounce said:

I've been here before (previous alpha) and they said it was fixed in a patch note so either I'm doing something wrong or they are.

Sorry for the confusion! The patch was actually to fix the AP rounds not going through multiple targets. What others said is true: the "Target armor" function doesn't work which is why HP does more damage than AP. The whole target armor thing is being worked out.

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Does the Penetrator perk work at least, or is it broken like the AP ammo?

The actual penetration part of that perk works (going through entities and blocks) and was the first part of the fix, but the armor reduction doesn't work right there either atm.

58 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Ok, thanks for the info... I guess it's all in the same bucket.

Yep, AP ammo's only purpose right now is hitting multiple lined up zombies at once and those behind a single semi-weak block. Other then that your almost always better off with HP ammo for the added damage.

You do know for most zombies AP ammo only lets you deal 4% more damage to them right? Solders/bikers/utility have 20 armor (feral soldiers I think have more), and 20% of that is 4 armor. Its better to use normal ammo unless you want the penetration effect of AP ammo, as the 4% more damage is only going to "maybe" save you 1 bullet, which when you consider the AP Ammo gunpowder costs it actually is very inefficent to use it on a single zombie. Only one that deserves it is Demolishers as they have like 80 armor, so AP ammo actually makes a pretty noticable difference on those guys. But for the rest? AP ammo doesn't make enough of a diff to be worth the crafting costs unless your in a kill corridor and can hit multiple zombies with that one shot. Not to mention the AP ammo does no extra damage to most other zombies that have no armor to reduce.

3 hours ago, Scyris said:

You do know for most zombies AP ammo only lets you deal 4% more damage to them right? Solders/bikers/utility have 20 armor (feral soldiers I think have more), and 20% of that is 4 armor. Its better to use normal ammo unless you want the penetration effect of AP ammo, as the 4% more damage is only going to "maybe" save you 1 bullet, which when you consider the AP Ammo gunpowder costs it actually is very inefficent to use it on a single zombie. Only one that deserves it is Demolishers as they have like 80 armor, so AP ammo actually makes a pretty noticable difference on those guys. But for the rest? AP ammo doesn't make enough of a diff to be worth the crafting costs unless your in a kill corridor and can hit multiple zombies with that one shot. Not to mention the AP ammo does no extra damage to most other zombies that have no armor to reduce.

Hollow Point ammo is actually SUPER POWERFUL against armoured zombies. The armour bug works both ways and so the increase armour affect on the ammo doesn't work either. Once you can craft HP ammo, there's no need for regular ammo anymore for any reason.

On 1/11/2021 at 6:56 PM, Scyris said:

No I believe it's actually totally broken. It does not factor in any  armor reduction at all.

One could argue the way it's written that removing 20 % of armor means it would go from say 20 armor to 16. However since the damage is the same as regular ammo, one can easily conclude that this does not happen.

We'll see how the fix ends up, however in my view the only reasonable would be for it to remove a fixed 20 %.. So it'd bring 20 % armor down to 0. It'd bring 40 % down to 20 %. Bringing armor down from 20 to 16 would be so pointless as to not be noticable, except for targets that had maybe 50-60 armor.

Archived