Developers, please make this simple feature!

bachgaman

Since there are a lot of recipes and books in the game, I propose to make such a feature, this can add convenience in a team game and I think it's not difficult to do

image.png.e8d1a5fad4ed649bd30755c34b130272.png - when the recipe / book is not learned

image.png.ea3dbbe0c4c68c974e14ad7a44ae8724.png - when the recipe / book is already learned

Besides, I don't think that checking at the skill menu or recipe book every time you find a book or recipe is the best part of the gameplay

It took me 40 hours in A18 before I noticed the open vs closed book, and only because I had a stockpile books to spot the difference. Before that my group was OCD opening our perk list every time we found something which really sucked.

I definitely agree there should be a better visual clue. A text popup might be too clunky. Adding color to the small icon would work, but I think a better looking option would be lowering the transparency and color of that item slot on top of the current open/closed icon system. Then at a glance we would see the ghosted item and know it's redundant.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, unholyjoe said:

i checked to make sure so yes the different book icons are in game and what about people who do not have any color perception (color is meaningless to those who only see b&w). :)

the pics are of same book one not read and other is after reading.

read and not read.jpg

If the open book was colored green but otherwise unchanged from now, then

1) color blind people would still see different icons just like now and

2) they would see the green book have a darker shade. They see grayscale not b&w

5 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

From reading the Steam forum, trust me, a lot of people are not picking up on these read vs. unread icons.  Colorization wouldn't hurt, but more should be done.  My recommendation is to switch to  and ✔️ icons, whatever they want to do color-wise.

Red to green (or other high contrast colors) with different shapes would be ideal, for sure.  High contrast borders around the icons would also be best so they can more easily be seen regardless of the picture they are imposed over.

I think he took your answer to mean that you were saying they could also stop you from buying the book as well instead of what you really meant-- that stopping you from reading a read book would not help you to not mistakenly purchase an already read book.

His answer then makes sense as he was pointing out that you might want to buy it for a friend and then you couldn't. But moot point because that isn't what you were saying anyhow. :)

On 12/29/2020 at 7:26 AM, unholyjoe said:

i checked to make sure so yes the different book icons are in game and what about people who do not have any color perception (color is meaningless to those who only see b&w). :)

the pics are of same book one not read and other is after reading.

read and not read.jpg

Well, time to remove all color from the game then. 😛

17 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Well, time to remove all color from the game then. 😛

Nah, there's a difference though.  I know you're sticking your tongue out but let me cross-post what I said on the Steam forum.

Then why use red and green at all?

If a player can’t tell that the grass is green, it doesn’t affect gameplay.  So you can do whatever your art direction calls for.  When it matters is when you’re relying on color to communicate information to the player.  Ideally you have more than one visual cue working at a time.  That’s why in the rules of the road red means stop, but stop signs are also octagonal and say “STOP,” and traffic lights have the red light on top.

To clarify, red and green with different icons would be swell.  They’re not mutually exclusive.  I’m just saying that color shouldn’t be the only visual difference.

Archived