A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

11 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's long been known that the burnt biome is, to a certain extent, being merged as a part of the wasteland in A20. As a result, will clay patches now be present within the wasteland biome?

There are no clay patches anywhere. Regular soil is all clay soil.

4 hours ago, Gazz said:

It's similar to people saying "not gonna lie". That implies that they lie by default when they don't say this.

“No disrespect” basically means thry are about to disrespect you

or my favorite “not to offend you” right before they say the most offensive thing

On 4/3/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mike06 said:

9) Pipe Weapons for Primitive Tier = +1 (although a bit ripping off Rust, but before they surpasses 7d2d, they stole a lot from 7d2d) 

Just wanted to point out that pipe weapons existed before Rust (Fallout 4 released with pipe weapons).  Improvised firearms were not invented by Rust - Fallout 3 had the Rock-It Launcher (later changed to Junk Jet).

On 4/3/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mike06 said:

12) Loot Progression and Gamestaging Improvements = ? the "Game stage" thing TFP copies from other crap games is -100 as it sucks big time. It is really boring that the game difficulty and enemies automatically scale up when player progresses. That negates ALL the character advancements. The game play is treading water. The advancement is more interesting when difficulty scales up by player choices. Like harder areas areas: large cities, radiated zones, larger buildings that are not survivable for low level and poorly equipped characters. That gives the player real sense on accomplishment and advancement to develop and improve the character to be able to access those areas. Not artificially level lock them and allow characters to try going there at anytime only to themselves learn to avoid them until better equipped.  

I am confused.  Are you saying that the game shouldn't get harder as you survive in the game?  So if I just hunt animals and search bird nests all the time for a straight month (and basically not loot any POIs but survive by finding food), the game should never advance in difficulty because I have not advanced my character?  With the game stage tied to days survived and your level, it is basically constantly challenging you to improve your character as the AI manager is going to throw tougher enemies at you.

It's this micromanagement of your character that makes the choices you make more meaningful and can lead to issues if you choose poorly.  Do you spend that perk point into a support skill to help with surviving or more into a combat related perk for attacking / defense against the zombies?

Also, have you tried surviving in the wasteland biome with harder difficulty settings as a new player?  That is a current example of the game scaling up the difficulty based on the player's choice.

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I am confused.  Are you saying that the game shouldn't get harder as you survive in the game?  So if I just hunt animals and search bird nests all the time for a straight month (and basically not loot any POIs but survive by finding food), the game should never advance in difficulty because I have not advanced my character?  With the game stage tied to days survived and your level, it is basically constantly challenging you to improve your character as the AI manager is going to throw tougher enemies at you.

It's this micromanagement of your character that makes the choices you make more meaningful and can lead to issues if you choose poorly.  Do you spend that perk point into a support skill to help with surviving or more into a combat related perk for attacking / defense against the zombies?

Also, have you tried surviving in the wasteland biome with harder difficulty settings as a new player?  That is a current example of the game scaling up the difficulty based on the player's choice.

You forget that as you level up your character you become an almost unstoppable Terminator-esque action hero at some point. Watch Glock9's Maxed Out series and come back to me when you're done.

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Just wanted to point out that pipe weapons existed before Rust (Fallout 4 released with pipe weapons).  Improvised firearms were not invented by Rust - Fallout 3 had the Rock-It Launcher (later changed to Junk Jet).

Joel has plainly stated that much of the inspiration for the game has come from the Fallout series. Although...he also admitted to having a few Rust buddies as well.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

You forget that as you level up your character you become an almost unstoppable Terminator-esque action hero at some point. Watch Glock9's Maxed Out series and come back to me when you're done.

Did(I subscribed to his channel).  He also maxed out at the very beginning by leveling himself up through the console commands.  That is an artificial advancement which is different than playing so long you earned enough XP to max out everything.

8 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Did(I subscribed to his channel).  He also maxed out at the very beginning by leveling himself up through the console commands.  That is an artificial advancement which is different than playing so long you earned enough XP to max out everything.

The vast majority of perks don't increase your survivability with zombie encounters. If you max out Pain Tolerance, Healing Factor, Heavy/Light Armor, Sex Rex, and your weapon(s) of choice, you can very accurately replicate the level of power Glock was able to achieve. Other than light armor, all of those perks exist in only two attributes so while it is expensive, it's certainly doable.

For those that don't like the loot progression, enemy progression, stone age, etc just start a new game press F1 and type "dm" Enter.  Then press Esc and change the day to day 57 or 64.  You will be a brand new level 1 character with nothing, but the enemies will be stronger and the loot will be better right off the bat.  You may even skip the Stone Age all together.  You will even have 7 days until your first Bloodmoon.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

For those that don't like the loot progression, enemy progression, stone age, etc just start a new game press F1 and type "dm" Enter.  Then press Esc and change the day to day 57 or 64.  You will be a brand new level 1 character with nothing, but the enemies will be stronger and the loot will be better right off the bat.  You may even skip the Stone Age all together.  You will even have 7 days until your first Bloodmoon.

Actually this does not work.  Just tested it and game stage does not change and the slider only lets you move it to day 16.  That's what you get for posting at work and before testing.  Haha

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Actually this does not work.  Just tested it and game stage does not change and the slider only lets you move it to day 16.  That's what you get for posting at work and before testing.  Haha

There is a command for setting the day. However since you have not progressed through all the days before it the Days Alive gamestage bonus will not be taken into account. :)

On 3/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, lord_ahriman said:

Not gonna lie, I don't like it. That being said, I understand the change, I just hope concrete blocks are faster to craft than current wet blocks.

Its just theyr way to do things which almost every one tend to agree that suck, removing depth from the game and calling it "optimizations" as been a trend since the @%$#ty a17 patch, worst thing is that sometimes nothing is re-added after "improving" the thing, only cutting out elements of gameplay that people appreciate.

"confusing to upgrade your base with the insane current block upgrade path" yeah i imagine what of an overload of mental struggle it goes on with such high numbers  of blocks upgrades, hopefully modders are gonna be able to fix what devs itself screw up.

19 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I have played insane, always nightmare run speed, 64 zombies, horde every night for a while now.  I did it from the start. 

Not really that hard if you know what you are doing. 

I recorded my horde nights from like day 30 something to day 60 something.  Done playing now until A20 probably. 

3 hours ago, fallenbox said:

Its just theyr way to do things which almost every one tend to agree that suck, removing depth from the game and calling it "optimizations" as been a trend since the @%$#ty a17 patch, worst thing is that sometimes nothing is re-added after "improving" the thing, only cutting out elements of gameplay that people appreciate.

"confusing to upgrade your base with the insane current block upgrade path" yeah i imagine what of an overload of mental struggle it goes on with such high numbers  of blocks upgrades, hopefully modders are gonna be able to fix what devs itself screw up.

I've got a leaked video where TFP are experimenting ways to reach a bigger game audience. This is a speed reflexes test of the new DDFS (Dumbed Down Fighting System): just press random buttons very quickly and your character will fight for you without further input!

Spoiler

Basically, with this smart commercial move, TFP will easily acquire all pet owners across the game market. :smokin:

12 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I've got a leaked video where TFP are experimenting ways to reach a bigger game audience. This is a speed reflexes test of the new DDFS (Dumbed Down Fighting System): just press random buttons very quickly and your character will fight for you without further input!

Hide contents

Basically, with this smart commercial move, TFP will easily acquire all pet owners across the game market. :smokin:

At this point i might actually believe it as the game is getting closer to a @%$#ty reiteration of minecraft + fallout while gradually losing pieces.

Edited by fallenbox (see edit history)

On 4/6/2021 at 1:14 AM, MechanicalLens said:

That could work. I'm obviously not developing the game so whatever I say has no inherent value, but how would you respond to the idea that ALL of the wasteland biome is radiated, just to varying amounts. The larger cities and the craters that exist in between settlements contain the greatest concentration of radiation and in order for the player to enter those zones they would need a hazmat suit and/or they would need to chug some drugs that could only rarely be found in loot that protect them for a limited amount of time; whether the hazmat suit would degrade or not if for a separate discussion. On the other side of the spectrum, the small towns, roads/paths, and small towns contain much smaller pockets of lesser concentrated radiation. When entering the wasteland biome the player is given a debuff that is similar to stage 1 of infection - it has no immediate side effects but will only get worse if left untreated. Once this debuff reaches 100% (say, after 120 minutes) the player's immunity level reaches zero and they start taking damage from radiation poisoning. The player must then consume a drug or wear a hazmat suit (either of which probably won't be available at that point in the game) thus they must exit the biome. Another "debuff", a timer really of about 120 minutes, would then begin counting up representing the player's immunity level. If the player enters the wasteland unprotected before the counter reaches 100% then this timer would reset back to zero and the player would immediately start taking damage until they leave the wasteland once more. This somewhat artificial system would lock the player out of building in the wasteland until the mid- to endgame while still providing them with ample time to enter the biome, raid some joints, hold down for a night or two if required, and then escape by the next morning or afternoon assuming they had entered the biome in the morning on the first day. Having a system like this in place would also help to prevent players from entering the wasteland biome and loot there non-stop early game, assuming they could survive the tougher zombies, to exploit the higher gamestage/lootstage they would experience in this biome.

Better option could be a gas in bunker or in lab and " contained zones" with zombie virus in air or even better with mushrom spores ( in this way they could add a "panzer" zombies and weaker but they could kill you easy by spore infection ) - you need a gasmask in military POI and hazmat suit in labs . Radiation just left as endmap barrier. 

4 hours ago, pregnable said:

I have played insane, always nightmare run speed, 64 zombies, horde every night for a while now.  I did it from the start. 

Yes... we all know.  You tell us in almost every post in every topic you post in.  You are awesome at 7 Days To Die.

Edited by Matt (see edit history)

1 hour ago, fallenbox said:

At this point i might actually believe it as the game is getting closer to a @%$#ty reiteration of minecraft + fallout while gradually losing pieces.

Must be nice having time to scroll through the forum of a game you dislike so much. Why did I make kids? 😆

5 hours ago, fallenbox said:

Honesty, I been liking the path they have gone since Alpha 15.  Are there things I wished they done differently?  Sure, but it is their game and their company, so they are making the game they want to.  If I don’t enjoy it, I don’t play it.  Pretty simple really, no need to complain about the changes.

Also, show some respect to the devs.  They are working hard to get this game to gold based on the roadmap provided to them.  Not saying bugs don’t happen, but they are working hard to fix things and improve things, even if it is not the path you desire.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes... we all know.  You tell us in almost every post in every topic you post in.  You are awesome at 7 Days To Die.

True, but this time it was appropriate. 

However, if it were not, I would have done it anyway. 

😉

I am actually playing Bayonetta at the moment.  Owned it for a long time, but never really played it.  Failing pretty hard at some of those quicktime events the first time I see them, and getting stone rank(worst) on some of the stages, lel. 

3 minutes ago, fallenbox said:

Cause i actually liked the game back then and the overall idea behind it, genius.

That's the thing. You bought into an idea and got disappointed that it didn't exactly go the way you fantasized it. Unless you like being surprised by change, which you seem to be resistant to, you might wanna stick to buying finished products in the future. Just something to think about.