Romero Mod - A game mode/suite of zombie tweaks

KhaineGB

RomeroModLogo.thumb.png.3ac3941d4d5f4e69d4661ef503c57997.png

V3

This is a mod I created to try out a few different things regarding code. I have tried to keep it as vanilla as possible, to maintain modlet compatibility, and just messed around with how zombie work.

Features.
- Zombies only take full damage from headshots.
- Bloodmoons disabled.
- Included Jax's Wilderness Spawn increase modlet (5x more zombies)
- Added a difficulty tweaks mod to remove damage reduction from higher difficulties.
- Removed zombie rage mode.
- Added 10 slot toolbelt.
- Added backpack stash buttons.
- Added craftable log spikes.
- Added ability to pick up plants with E.
- Removed cop ability to puke.
- Removed radiated vulture ability to puke.
- Wandering hordes start from Day 2 at midnight.
- Wandering horde configured to 30 zombies every 6 hours.
- Wandering horde frequency and zombie amount can now be configured by XML (1-RomeroModCore\Config\blocks.xml at the top)
- Added guppys PUSHABLE shopping cart (works like a bicycle for stam usage).
- Added scrap iron arrows and arrow heads.
- Added scrap club, scrap knuckles, scrap machete and scrap spear.
- Added Pipe Pistol and Pipe Rifle.
- Edited loot to remove stone arrows, leather knuckles, stone spear and wooden clubs from loot (replaced with scrap).
- Edited loot to remove stone tools and replaced with scrap tools.
- Moved iron tools, baseball bat, iron knuckles, iron spear and hunting knife from Level 1 of appropriate perk to Level 3 (localization updated to reflect this).
- Scrap tools/weapons now locked behind schematics or level 1 of appropriate perk. (scrap arrows are NOT locked).

As you can see, it's mostly adding some extra T0 guns (pipe weapons), a scrap tier and modifying the zombies. Please consider this a base for you to build your own apocalypse on, rather than a full-fat overhaul.

Download Links.

A19 Client (Does not work with EAC Enabled).

A19 Server (Does not work with EAC enabled).

A20 Client and Server (Does not work with EAC enabled)

A21 Client and Server (Does not work with EAC enabled)

Installation Instructions. (If you don't use the mod launcher)

Make a copy of your 7 Days to Die folder first!!!

Download the zip file at the link above. Unzip the 7DaysToDie_Data and Mods folder to your 7 Days to Die folder and overwrite when prompted. The mod uses Harmony so both folders (and their contents) are needed or you'll have problems.

Same for the server files, except in this case it will be 7DaysToDieServer_Data and Mods.

Video for folks who may need it (it's for darkness falls, but the basic idea is the same).

Installation Instructions for macOS users.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not have a mac. This is a guide I found for Starvation Mod and Ravenhearst, but it also works on War of the Walkers so it should be fine here.

1 - Uninstall 7dtd. Open Finder, from taskbar choose Go -> Home. Open Library -> Application Support -> Steam -> steamapps -> common. Delete 7 Days to Die folder. Reinstall 7 Days to Die.
2 - Unzip downloaded mod. Open unzipped folder. You should see 3 folders: 7DaysToDie_Data and Mods. I will be referring to this as a “home screen”.
3 - Open Steam. In your games Library, right-click 7 Days to Die and choose Properties from the drop-down menu. Choose the LOCAL FILES tab and choose BROWSE LOCAL FILES.
4 - Copy & paste (do not drag-and-drop) the Mods folder to this location.
5 - Open 7DaysToDie_Data -> Managed.
6 - Right-click 7DaysToDie.app and choose Show Package Contents. Here you should see 2 folders: Contents and Data. This will be the other “home screen”.
7 - Open Contents -> Resources -> Data -> Managed.
8 - Copy & paste (do not drag-and-drop) the .dll files into this location. Mac OSX will ask if you want to keep both or replace. Choose replace.
9 - Navigate back to each home screen.
10 - Drag-and-drop the 7DaysToDie_Data and Mods folders into this location.
11 - Open the Data folders in each location. You will see there are Config, Prefabs, and UMATextures folders in each.
12 - For each of these three folders, open up its corresponding folder so you can see the contents. Drag-and-drop the mod’s contents into its respective folder. For duplicate files, mac OSX will ask if you want to Skip, Stop, or Replace. Check the “Apply to All” checkbox, then choose Replace.
13 - Start 7 Days to Die and enjoy the mod!

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

TERMS OF USE.

From what I remember, the models included in this overhaul have very generous licences for use. As such, anyone may use Romero Mod as a base to build on for their own work/overhaul. However, if you use my models and code included in this mod, then you MUST link back here and give credit as appropriate. You MAY NOT generate revenue of any kind with this mod without giving credit as appropriate.

Otherwise, do with it as you see fit, especially for private use. I tried to keep it as light as possible for folks to modify with modlets and other such things.

Entirely probable that'll happen due to headshots only.

But it's not that important since, y'know, no blood moon. It's just a wandering horde that doesn't have the GPS-tracking AI that the bloodmoon does so you COULD completely ignore it.

Side-note. Headshot only is a Sphereii-Core option that the end user can  TOTALLY turn off if they want. I just put together some patches to make a base mod. YOU guys can customize it to your individual playstyles. :)

I may look at giving explosions a huge dismember chance to compensate.

11 hours ago, Orsey said:

Hey.
I don't really like complex modifications and therefore prefer to collect my version of the game from modlets.
Can I use your mod to create a separate weapon modlet for tubular weapons and scrap tools?

No. If someone wants to use the full mod to build a base, with those models, then i'm ok with that. Just taking the models out and re-using them is not ok.

5 hours ago, dani20 said:

Great mod. Btw does it work with REALITY CHECK modlets?

I would assume so but haven't checked. UI is the only thing that MIGHT be a little iffy due to the larger toolbelt. Weapons/Skills/Etc i've mostly tried to leave as close to vanilla as possible.

5 hours ago, CrazyAluminum said:

What do you see when you press the "Play" button? If you see "Play 7 Days to Die" and "Show game launcher", just select the second option and you will can disable EAC.
Or go to the game folder and start the 7dLauncher.exe file

^ That

Or go to your steam folder (steam/steamapps/common/7 days to die) and run the 7DaystoDie.exe file (there's one called 7DaystoDie_EAC.exe, don't run that one)

On 9/11/2020 at 5:10 AM, KhaineGB said:

Lockable slots, 60 slot backpack and food/water on the left side are included. However, these are in modlet form and can be removed if the user wants to add a custom UI. :)

Hey kaine i use a couple of your modlets already and like the sound of this core modpack you created. I do however use a custom UI. If i want to change to that from yours which modlets exactly should i remove from your pack?

13 hours ago, nickuk01 said:

Hey kaine i use a couple of your modlets already and like the sound of this core modpack you created. I do however use a custom UI. If i want to change to that from yours which modlets exactly should i remove from your pack?

You would need to remove...

2-KHA19-BackpackButtonsV2

KHA19-12CraftQueue

KHA19-60BBMFW

KHA19-HPBars

And I think that'll do it.

11 minutes ago, Dragonchampion said:

Excuse me, I have a friend that is asking if there's a way to turn off HP bars clientside. Is it possible to do that and still have him play with me and my other friends, or do we all have to edit the files?

Delete KHA19-HPBars from the Mods folder on the machine of whoever is hosting the game. That's it.

I have an issue where I get an endless string of NRE's half the time when a certain entity tries to spawn in.  It seems to happen with a wandering horde, or when sleepers try to spawn in.  Unfortunately I don't know what entity is causing it.  The NRE's only stop when I use the killall command.  The game doesn't seem to generate an output log with EAC disabled, so I don't know what to do.  It stinks, because the wandering hordes are half the fun of this mod.

EAC disabled doesn't disable logging, but this may help:

OUTPUT LOG LOCATIONS Windows: From Steam or Launcher

<gamefolder>\7DaysToDie_Data\output_log__<DATETIME>.txt

From .exe

%AppData%\LocalLow\The Fun Pimps\7 Days To Die\player.log

From dedicated through startdedicated.bat

<gamefolder>/7DaysToDie_Data/output_log_<DATETIME>.txt

Linux From Executable

<homefolder>/.config/unity3d/The Fun Pimps/7 Days To Die <- Dedicated>/Player.log

From start scripts or Steam

<gamefolder>/7DaysToDie_Data/output_log__<DATETIME>.txt

From server with management scripts

/home/sdtd/instances/<instancename>/logs/output_log_<DATETIME>.txt

MacOS

<homefolder>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Really just depends on how you launch it.

Yeah, I have the Romero mod installed in a separate directory than the Steam game (because it's DMT and I don't want to screw up the main directory).  The latest output log in that directory was created on 9/11/2020.  It's now the 18th.  So why isn't it generating the log (and I just exited the Romero game a few minutes ago).