New to Game - Looking for Tips & Advice on Starting New Game

wedigQB_9

This is not a "General Support" question, so I moved the thread.

My advice: Just play the game. You will die, starve, get mangled over by dogs, surprised by nightfall, and die again. And slowly you will learn ways to survive. Ask questions here in the forum if you can't find answers to a problem but don't watch playthroughs. If you do the latter the mystery is over much too early. You can still play the game for hundreds of hours like many here do, but discovering stuff for the first time you get only once.

One small hint: Everything can be dismantled, looted, scrapped, shoveld, wrenched, dug up, everything has its use.

Don't stray far from your starting area and finish the beginning quests. Avoid cats, dogs, fat zombies, and don't mess with them pigs starting out. you can one shot does with the primitive bow if you go into stealth mode first. You will see piles of Bones on the road, harvest those and make a bone knife as soon as you can. You get more meat from animals if you use a knife. Harvest all the eggs and feathers you can find from birds nests.

You get four points for perks at the end of the first round of quest and if you're just starting out, put one into healing factor, one in living off the land, one into MasterChef, and one in advanced engineering so you can make a forge right away.

After you see your first trader, it's a good idea to build a base near him. You can take over a poi or build one from scratch.

9 hours ago, wedigQB_9 said:

New to 7 Days! Looking for any tips or advice anyone has before I start a new game!

Get use to the idea of starting over to experience the game in many different ways (e.g. higher difficulty, different perk build, different horde base concept, no trader use, mods, etc.)

Dont get too attached to your builds (e.g. horde bases).  See comment above.  Although there are ways to migrate them from alpha to alpha if your persistent enough...

Lastly, It's about the journey...not the destination....especially since the game is still in developlement.  Stop and smell the roses and dont get hung up on the minor details...😀

"Just look at the flowers Lizzy.  Look at the flowers...." 😂

Don't be disappointed if you die. You will most likely. As mentioned, stay in the are you spawn in and finish your starting quests quickly. Once done, don't take your time looking for things like food or base level weapons. Be aggressive. Search dumpsters or anything you can. When walking to your first location, gather wood, rocks, anything. Keep busy if possible. Encumbrance in early stages equals danger. Don't run during early stage much - Save your stamina for quick bursts of running away from zombies.  The "good" loot is usually at the end of the POI. If you have a tall building, the good stuff is most likely at the top. If you are desperate for a weapon or other, you can always craft ladders or box up (use wood frames, hop and place them under you) to get to the top to gather loot until you can comfortably make it through the "normal" route (follow the lights). 

I tried several things out when I first started the game - but this is what I found that works best for me... I am recommending it, because this process allowed me to start really enjoying the game when I learned the depth and everything you can do. I just found the game a a bit overwhelming when I tried to build bases from scratch in the beginning. I also found it challenging to build inside a house or another POI as wondering zombies made my life a challenge.

The way I got around this was I started to build on top of POI's. I always looked from stronger buildings (not wood) with ladders to the top (Buzzes Bar, different one story stores, etc). Day one - I would do the starter quests, search and find one of those buildings, climb on top and clear the roof, then break the bottom two rungs of the ladder (you can still jump climb it). This gave me time at night to regroup, plan out, look around the UI/skills, etc. Now - I start the game and build my own base from day 1, but I recommend doing that a bit later on... 

I also recommend downloading and installing an inventory sorting mod. As you advance you will have a bunch of different items, so it makes it really easy to open a storage box - click "deposit to fill stacks" and move on... Manually sorting take so much time. I use Backpack buttons from https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/19558-khaines-a19-modlets-bigger-backpacks-backpack-buttons-hp-bars-etc/ I do not like using teh backpack expansion - I feel it is cheating, but the sorting is a timesaver. 

2 hours ago, Skippy5 said:

I tried several things out when I first started the game - but this is what I found that works best for me... I am recommending it, because this process allowed me to start really enjoying the game when I learned the depth and everything you can do. I just found the game a a bit overwhelming when I tried to build bases from scratch in the beginning. I also found it challenging to build inside a house or another POI as wondering zombies made my life a challenge.

The way I got around this was I started to build on top of POI's. I always looked from stronger buildings (not wood) with ladders to the top (Buzzes Bar, different one story stores, etc). Day one - I would do the starter quests, search and find one of those buildings, climb on top and clear the roof, then break the bottom two rungs of the ladder (you can still jump climb it). This gave me time at night to regroup, plan out, look around the UI/skills, etc. Now - I start the game and build my own base from day 1, but I recommend doing that a bit later on... 

I also recommend downloading and installing an inventory sorting mod. As you advance you will have a bunch of different items, so it makes it really easy to open a storage box - click "deposit to fill stacks" and move on... Manually sorting take so much time. I use Backpack buttons from https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/19558-khaines-a19-modlets-bigger-backpacks-backpack-buttons-hp-bars-etc/ I do not like using teh backpack expansion - I feel it is cheating, but the sorting is a timesaver. 

I like the hp bars, the bigger backpack and the sorting. The current backpack is honestly too small for my liking. The 96 slot is too big, so I take the 60 slot.

Some tips for a new player: You can boil water at any campfire, without a cooking pot, can use empty cans or glass jars, the cooking pot will make he water in a jar faster to craft.

Know your food sources! I cannot stress this enough: there is animals, looting, vending machines, traders USE THEM. You can even eat animal fat if your desperate for food.

Don't abuse placed junk turrets, you'll start to depend on them and never get better as a player if you do.

For first horde base I suggest like who I quoted to take over a poi that has at least stone walls, a good one is church_sm_02 the brown church with no fence, you can actually make a base up by the beams and its pretty stable, plus zombies cannot hit it not even exploding demolishers from the ground below (Watch out for cop puke though!) I think its also stable enough that if the support pillars get taken out it'll still stand. Never fight a horde on the same level, I mean you CAN if your good, but who realistically is going to go toe to toe with a bunch of zombies that wanna eat your face? High ground is the best.

in A19 vultrues fly at 250% speed on horde night if your on a vehicle, so don't try to run away on one to avoid them, the easy way to do it? Megacrush, or steroids both give a run speed boost, you can outrun it on foot without those if your not encumbered by heavy armor or inventory, but taking them makes it easier.

Headshots are the way to go, but that should be obvious with this being a zombie game. However you can kill things with body shots it just takes 2-3x the ammo usually.

A good way to handle a group of zombies is explosives: Pipe bombs, grenades or better contact grenades, or the rocket launcher ammo that has very low block damage, forgot the name of it. Make a kill box, let the zombies come in then drop a few pipe bombs down there, should handle the first few hordes easly enough and you may loot enough of the explosives to do it.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, wedigQB_9 said:

New to 7 Days! Looking for any tips or advice anyone has before I start a new game!

1.first build a second sleeping bag...place ur FIRST sleeping bag with tutorial...

then have a second onboard...when u walk long distances playce the second (when u die, u come up at the sleeping bag)

2.when u collected 2 much, build a wooden box...so u can empty ur inventary  (sign it on the card where ur box is), so u can explore and later came back to get it

3.build 50 wooden frame block..u need this..so u dont have them collect, when ur finished in a house

4.when the night comes and it 2 hard for u..get with the wooden framen on a roof

5.same for zombienight

6.when u need drink or food go in kitchen at the small houses

the rest...read above the other posts

ps: POIs Point of interest

A big "1st comfort" for me is getting sone sort of a light source on your helmet. Look for the helmet light/lamp mod (forget exactly what it's called).

This makes doing things at night and raiding POI's so much easier. 

Oh yes & the stone spear is a great beginner melee weapon. The starter quest has you make a wooden club. Obviously make it, then scrap that sh*t & make the spear, has longer reach.

Good luck man & welcome to 7 Days to Die!!

• 1 month later...

1!  If you use glasses for intelligence and increase your trading skill, then removing and wearing them, you can view two different private stash of each merchant.

2! skip  skill "Pack Mule".  6 (3 at start) slots from  usual clothes   and 15 from all armor  

Best advice? Don't ask for advice. Just turn the difficulty down to its lowest. Get comfortable with it, then turn it up if it get too easy.

You only have 1 first time. enjoy it. 

Too many tips and tricks, tend to shorten the joy.

No matter what you choose to do: Welcome to the game either way.

Archived