Would you take it?

Dimpy

Lets say you're offered a parallel-universe copy of 7 days to die. In it, there are 5 times as many POIs, with the same quality and creativity level as what exists in A19, but the only places you're allowed to go are POIs, traders, dig quests, and your base, and the only way to travel between them is through a fast-travel UI.

Do you take it? Why or why not?

Hell no.

Open world traveling and stopping at any point to start mining that iron node you just noticed or get ambushed by a dog horde or hear the growl of a nearby cougar trumps what sounds like an iphone app of just clicking whatever region you want to play next. When TFP adds their encounter system it will make the in-between locations part of the game even better.

That being said, if our own already existing Pocket Universe can evolve something like that as an alternative experience I'm all for giving it a try but I would never choose just clicking to your next location over traveling through the world in real time as a permanent change.

Good discussion question :)

I'm interested to hear rationale for the other side of the argument.

They've poured a ton of work into the POIs already.  While I'd still love more randomness to them so each one was less predictable with more replayability, I wouldn't sacrifice free movement for five times more POIs.  How would that even work in a fully buildable/destructible world?  You'd have to put every location in its own box with impermeable walls on all sides.  And how would you choose where to build your base?  I guess your only option would be to build on the site of an existing POI, or get lucky with a dig quest location.

In short, this hypothetical change would be too radical to still call it 7 Days to Die anymore.

For those asking more specifically how it would work, when you teleport to a POI, you have to stay within the "quest area", and if you leave it you get teleported to the fast travel menu. 

You can place lcbs through the fast-travel UI, and they allow a 100×100 plot of free building/mining.

When you fast-travel, you lose the food, water, and time it would have normally taken.

Not as described. Base building is a major part for me and scouting out towns, looking for water sources, ore concentration, to determine a building site is part of the fun.

To the elements: more quality pois are always welcome. I'm still playing a Nitrogen + ComboPack 18.4 map rather than opting in to experimental partially because there are a number of new-to-me pois I haven't gone through yet, and with my old pc I'm not expecting to be able to see much of the new 19 visuals.

To me maps in 7dtd aren't really large enough to 'need' fast travel. I'd rather see something like a couple Interstate freeways that made an X or a cross on the map and allowed, somehow, double+ current speeds for vehicles. Would be really cool to have them become elevated going through a city with on/off ramps.

Could see the use for remote Trader trading, especially with the new 'Trader Jen mainly has x supplies, Rekt has y'. Unlock remote trading after the player has gone to the trader and deposited some dukes for collateral. Add shipping fee and distance delivery delays. Heck, add a chance that the shipment gets lost/stolen, and if lost it might turn into a quest where you'd be reclaiming your own lost stuff.

The fu... what?

Would you play an open world game where you can just follow a given path? (that's a paradoxon anyway)

Would you play Pac-Man if you could only go one way on each crossing?

You want the game tell you where to go? Then 7d2d is the f**** wrong game for you. Go play something else, but don't bother us making the game something different liek YOU want to play.

It's like asking blizzard to remove the loot from diablo...

Ok wow. It's heartening to see the playerbase still strongly cares about the open-world aspects of the game. Somehow I had gotten the impression that a lot you guys wanted to see 7dtd turn in to a hack-n-slash rpg. Sorry for my lack of faith.

Archived