Snukfin's Server Side Z(S)ombies

Snufkin

Interesting. I shall spend some more time checking on this as it hasn't been a priority so far but is an important game feature. The only major comparable points between Archon and Geist seem to be the character they extend from and given model type and Archon's probability to retreat when hurt.

@RobelotoYou are totally free to use them as you like 😁
--
I haven't checked the code in quite a bit, but the Archon was intended to act as a support zombie in the Bloodmoon (I was inspired in the Archvile from Doom, that besides being able to set you on fire could also revive enemies). I never tried that exhaustively and with the buff shenanigans of the game I wouldn't be surprised it didn't work. I remember if buffed the damage resistance of zombies in a certain radius.

9 hours ago, BubbaJoe said:

Just as a question for arramus and everyone else. Is anyone else having issues with the Archon not using its melee attack very effectively? What's happening is the Archon is aggroing a player and descending toward them like normal, but it just sort of twitches around their player model and really ineffectively tries to melee them. Most of the time it never even manages to hit them with melee, it just kills them via its projectile attack (used at close range) instead. I tried increasing the range of the melee attack for the Archon as I had tested this with good results on the Siren and the Geist, but it doesn't seem to be changing the Archon's behavior. I understand it's part of the core zombie AI to zero in on a player's exact position, even if the zombie has a projectile, but the Archon seems to be doing this to the exclusion of using its melee. Trying to figure out if this is something wonky I've done or if other people are experiencing this.

Yes you are correct. 

Edited by h0tr0d (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Snufkin said:

...the Archon was intended to act as a support zombie in the Bloodmoon (I was inspired in the Archvile from Doom, that besides being able to set you on fire could also revive enemies).

Interesting. Yes, I can recall the Arch-vile would sit back in the background and attempt to prologue its own existence while acting as the healer. We would specifically have to take him out to weight the odds back in the players favour. The addition of the Archon's potential to retreat adds to that trait and extends his presence. He is a cool support character and with the concept in mind has more of a background role while the frontline Z take on a very aggressive role.

9 hours ago, BubbaJoe said:

Just as a question for arramus and everyone else. Is anyone else having issues with the Archon not using its melee attack very effectively? What's happening is the Archon is aggroing a player and descending toward them like normal, but it just sort of twitches around their player model and really ineffectively tries to melee them. Most of the time it never even manages to hit them with melee, it just kills them via its projectile attack (used at close range) instead. I tried increasing the range of the melee attack for the Archon as I had tested this with good results on the Siren and the Geist, but it doesn't seem to be changing the Archon's behavior. I understand it's part of the core zombie AI to zero in on a player's exact position, even if the zombie has a projectile, but the Archon seems to be doing this to the exclusion of using its melee. Trying to figure out if this is something wonky I've done or if other people are experiencing this.

I tested both in client host and dedicated server host and could replicate the melee attack limitations. Archon is good when exactly in front of the player at about chest height. His limitations come from when his arc of attack falls outside a 30 degree or so angle from in front of the player. Not only that, but also the height is also an important factor. Maximum melee efficiency comes right in front of the player while Archon's feet are about player chest height. Anything out of that specific location can register a null hit.

I think the major culprit is the entity class extension. By switching from entityclasses.xml entity_class name="ZombieArchon" extends="zombieWightFeral" to entity_class name="ZombieArchon" extends="Zombie_Template" as is common for Geist, I could move around Archon and his hits were making better contact from a wider arc. This will bring its own issue of probably needing to make a new Archetype if it's no longer applied to a specific character. Can you also try this initial change to see if it brings a change in the melee range and efficacy?

In the interests of further enhancing server and client stability and to reduce overheads which members in the community noted can cause lower end systems to suffer, here is a test of the Archon projectile moving over to the same particle effect that the Scorcher has already received.

The description of the Archon is that he launches 6 fireballs and this will stick closely to the original concept.

Using the current setting of particleeffects/p_onFire, the effect is certainly 6 firewalls and they are in a repeating volley.

As thus:

20201009133926_1.thumb.jpg.4f382cc943ccf5f3e9b0a56b8e7c114e.jpg

Which in turn causes looped warnings, for the client and the server, and has been noted to be detrimental to performance:

20201009133944_1.thumb.jpg.a012de538c5084e236dab7eebc1d3bae.jpg

The alternative setting of particleeffects/p_fire_small as is already implemented to solve the scorcher audio issue appears as:

A launch of 6 single fireballs.

20201009133044_1.thumb.jpg.b6b2b40a8787b1cc28559c88e75794e7.jpg

Which in turn allows for no console warnings.

20201009133417_1.thumb.jpg.5503446242758e9c9c4a43c48665bdc4.jpg

While not critical at present, this seems to be a decent update for the next release. @BubbaJoe is also just tinkering with the Archon's melee settings which, while certainly not his primary weapon, could be tweaked a touch to increase impact performance. Archon's role is generally to sit back, buff his minions, and fire projectiles when appropriate which he does ever so well. However, it would be helpful to just give him a bit more of a fighting chance up close. This mod is incredibly eclectic in nature and incorporates so many wonderful combinations. As such, these things can inadvertently be introduced. The trade off is something incredibly special and the reason for the restoration in the first place. Too good to waste.

3 hours ago, h0tr0d said:

It's the ranges and sphere attached to the hand items.

Thank you. For the current parent of Archon, meleeHandMaster, the default goes up the hierarchy (including dev comments) to:

<property name="Range" value="1.65"/> <!-- This not what "clientside melee combat" means. 😃 This is the adjustment afterwards due to code changes. -->
 <property name="Sphere" value=".1"/>

Tweaking and results to follow. Once this is appropriately balanced to correspond to other characters it should create a level of conformity.

Snufkin clearly said that he has things going on in life so basically the community is picking up this mod and we will be the ones to continually add to and refine it over time as a collective while Snufkin attends to his private life. If he comes back to take the reigns back on this mod, which is unlikely based on his testimony, then we'll no longer be the ones doing all of the updates and work.

Therefore, collaborate as though we are the ones now keeping this mod up to date.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:59 PM, arramus said:

@h0tr0d @BubbaJoe @Bisawen

Attempting to isolate the issue with Scorcher and Geist's looping particle sound at their initial projectile activation point has been a real test...

The first approach was to compare Geist, Scorcher, and Archon, as Scorcher and Archon share the same fire particle, whereas Geist has the electrics. Archon was working just fine, in my case, and I couldn't spot any anomalies. However, changing Geist and Scorcher's particle effect has worked for me.

For Geist, changing from:

items.xml

<item name="ammoProjectileGeist">
    <property name="Meshfile" value="particleeffects/p_electric_shock"/>

to

items.xml

<item name="ammoProjectileGeist">
    <property name="Meshfile" value="particleeffects/p_electric_shock_small"/>

has seen a positive result with the sound not looping. However, going from full on concert electrics to only touching an electric fence on the farm, well maybe weeing on it, has been a bit of a step down. BubbaJoe suggests this isn't an issue and I wonder if this is related to our rigs/set up environment.

You can still use p_electric_shock by creating a new buff. First you must get rid of the looping sound.

In sounds.xml :

<set xpath="/Sounds/SoundDataNode[@name='electric_arc_lp']/MaxVoices/@value">0</set> <!-- no sound -->

<append xpath="/Sounds">

<!-- new shock sound datanode, but still uses the original electric arc sound with no loop -->
<SoundDataNode name="electricshock"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_Impact_Large"/>
    <Noise ID="2" noise="11" time="3" muffled_when_crouched="0.5"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Electricity/ElectricFence/electric_arc_lp" Loop="false"/>
    <LocalCrouchVolumeScale value="1.0"/> <CrouchNoiseScale value="0.5"/> <NoiseScale value="1"/> <MaxVoices value="3"/> <MaxRepeatRate value="0.01"/>
    </SoundDataNode>

and in buffs.xml. (You can also change the original buffShocked and set the playsound to electricshock) But I did it like this anyway:

<buff name="buffElectrified" description_key="buffShockedDesc" tooltip_key="buffShockedTooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_electric_power" name_key="buffShockedName" icon_color="255,0,0">
        <damage_type value="electrical"/>
        <stack_type value="replace"/>
        <duration value="4.5"/>
        <effect_group>
            <passive_effect name="HealthChangeOT" operation="base_add" value="-6"/>
            <passive_effect name="RunSpeed" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.9,0" duration="0,3.2"/>
            <passive_effect name="WalkSpeed" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.9,0" duration="0,3.2"/>
            <passive_effect name="CrouchSpeed" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.9,0" duration="0,3.2"/>
            <passive_effect name="JumpStrength" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.9,0" duration="0,3.2"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="AttachParticleEffectToEntity" particle="p_electric_shock" local_offset="0,0.75,0"/>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEnteredGame" action="AttachParticleEffectToEntity" particle="p_electric_shock" local_offset="0,0.75,0"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfDied" action="RemoveParticleEffectFromEntity" particle="p_electric_shock"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffFinish" action="RemoveParticleEffectFromEntity" particle="p_electric_shock"/>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffRemove" action="RemoveParticleEffectFromEntity" particle="p_electric_shock"/>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffRemove" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="ETrapHit" operation="set" value="0"/>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfLeaveGame" action="RemoveParticleEffectFromEntity" particle="p_electric_shock"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="PlaySound" sound="electricshock"/>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffRemove" action="FadeOutSound" sound="electricshock"/>
            <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfLeaveGame" action="StopSound" sound="electricshock"/>
        </effect_group>
    </buff>  

Remember to apply the new buff over the old(buffShocked) ones in Entityclasses.xml and Items.xml.

17 hours ago, arramus said:

Thank you. For the current parent of Archon, meleeHandMaster, the default goes up the hierarchy (including dev comments) to:

<property name="Range" value="1.65"/> <!-- This not what "clientside melee combat" means. 😃 This is the adjustment afterwards due to code changes. -->
 <property name="Sphere" value=".1"/>

Tweaking and results to follow. Once this is appropriately balanced to correspond to other characters it should create a level of conformity.

Is this under the original <extends="zombieWightFeral"> or the changed <extends="Zombie_Template"> you were testing? Just want to make sure I'm not tinkering with the wrong things. 😄

On 10/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, xxx73 said:

Thanks guys for replying. Full credit to all 3 authors from me, really great work, and nice to have options. Anyway I will add this to my next server with friends.

Request:

The bomber remind me a little of the old suicide mole zed from StompyNZ, that ignited himself if he saw the player and rushed toward the player at high speed. If player got away he exploded after a set number of seconds, if not he exploded the moment he got close to the player.
Is it possible to make a bomber zombie like this again, I really miss that experience?

Here is a video of that suicide zed:

You mean like this?

2 hours ago, BubbaJoe said:

Is this under the original <extends="zombieWightFeral"> or the changed <extends="Zombie_Template"> you were testing? Just want to make sure I'm not tinkering with the wrong things. 😄

Hey BubbaJoe,

I ran an experimental with the Archon by changing <property name="Range" value="1.65"/> for its hierarchical parent to <property name="Range" value="1.75"/> and could feel a lot more hits making contact from a 180 degree arc which is the same as Geist is capable of. I'm going to upload these from now.

For your reference, the change was added in:

items.xml

<item name="meleeHandArchon">

and <property name="Range" value="1.75"/> was added just underneath <property name="Magazine_items" value="ammoProjectileArchon"/> so that it's grouped together with 'familiar' properties.

6 hours ago, Robeloto said:

Remember to apply the new buff over the old(buffShocked) ones in Entityclasses.xml and Items.xml.

Thank you Robeloto. This is a new expression of coding for me to learn about and I have some homework to do. Sharing this with us all is very valuable and, I for one, sincerely appreciate it but I know others will as well.

17 hours ago, TomGun42 said:

Hey all, ive enjoyed this mod for some time in our server, ive edited the xml myself and created more zombies from it. If interest let me know. Ive just added the archon files to the files I have.

There will certainly be interest from server hosts who like to mix things up and keep the experience going. If you were to bundle up everything you've created, give it a name with all the creators credited appropriately, and upload it, we can add it to the link with the base mod.

Slawa has created something special by integrating the Custom Zombies, some of Roboloto's collection, and Slawa's very own creations. It looks like you have followed a similar route.

Basically, we'll have the base mod from Snufkin which is as close to the original as possible with as much stability as we can incorporate. On top of that are community versions that expand in their very own way. Doom has been around for a long long long time and continues to follow this successful model.

BASE - Snufkin's Custom Zombies

EXPANSIONS - Slawa V.3 (Expansion)

EXPANSIONS - TomGun's Terrors (Expansion)

This will stay true to Snufkin's concept but still allow the community to experience variety. This can become a recipe where everyone is a winner. Naturally, it will be important for server hosts to experiment with what combinations maintain stability just as with any other mods.

Here is the recent update based on feedback from the community.

https://github.com/arramus/Snufkin-CustomZombies-A19.2-b3-2020Oct10

As Snufkin's Custom Zombies acts as a base mod, it is kept as close to the original as possible.

Community members have added, or are in the process of adding, their own expansion builds which will be added to the main introductory post for the base mod.

Community expansions will take the base to new realms and offer the community additional variety. However, Snufkin's Custom Zombies as a stable base will always be there .

Changes for this build were as follows:

1. Archon Particle for the projectile
While this was not a mod breaker, it does cause server console warnings to produce in a constant loop and this creates instability. The effect is 6 individual balls of fire instead of the full volley.

- items.xml
name="ammoProjectileArchon"

Changed the following property to a comment and updated it to an alternative particle effect to avoid mesh warnings when the projectile is active.

<!--property name="Meshfile" value="particleeffects/p_onFire"/-->
<property name="Meshfile" value="particleeffects/p_fire_small"/>

2. Archon melee capabilites

- items.xml
<item name="meleeHandArchon">

Melee settings were tweaked with the following properties as the close proximity melee attacks were inconsistent. This change brings Archon more in line with Geist.

<property name="Range" value="1.75"/>

The original parent was set at 1.65 and based on a different model type. This now gives Archon a strike arc that changed from about 30 degrees to almost 180 degrees. Archon was designed as a support character for his minions and typically stays more in the background. This just gives him a little more of a fighting chance when he comes into close proximity with a player.

4 hours ago, xxx73 said:

That look pretty cool :D
Where can I rent him ? 😛

Gonna add him when I update my mod soon. 😃 But atm I am not sure if I am gonna have a dynamite in his skull or have dynamites in his hands. The timed bomb will be at the chest as it is in the video. I did not get IsLookingAtEntity to work. but I am sure it is because it says (not hooked up) in the original xmls. So the time bomb countdown will trigger if he attacks/he is attacked or attacks a block.

Edited by Robeloto (see edit history)

If you're looking into angles etc. for the archon and flying things swinging in angles look at item properties such as 

<property name="UseGrazingHits" value="true"/>
        <property name="GrazeStart" value=".515"/>
        <property name="GrazeEnd" value=".52"/>
        <property name="SwingDegrees" value="65"/>
        <property name="SwingAngle" value="160"/>

On 10/9/2020 at 10:12 PM, arramus said:

There will certainly be interest from server hosts who like to mix things up and keep the experience going. If you were to bundle up everything you've created, give it a name with all the creators credited appropriately, and upload it, we can add it to the link with the base mod.

Slawa has created something special by integrating the Custom Zombies, some of Roboloto's collection, and Slawa's very own creations. It looks like you have followed a similar route.

Basically, we'll have the base mod from Snufkin which is as close to the original as possible with as much stability as we can incorporate. On top of that are community versions that expand in their very own way. Doom has been around for a long long long time and continues to follow this successful model.

BASE - Snufkin's Custom Zombies

EXPANSIONS - TomGun's Terrors (Expansion)

This will stay true to Snufkin's concept but still allow the community to experience variety. This can become a recipe where everyone is a winner. Naturally, it will be important for server hosts to experiment with what combinations maintain stability just as with any other mods.

"

EXPANSIONS - TomGun's Terrors (Expansion)"

FYI We are loving this mod on our current gameplay (we did a few things like increased spawn rates x4-8 and increased hp x2 on all). 

I( am having a hard time finding the expansions mentioned above are they linked anywhere?

2 hours ago, Dre said:

I( am having a hard time finding the expansions mentioned above are they linked anywhere?

Slawa's most recent update can be found here. The second part about TomGun's Terrors was just hypothetical based on TomGun42 mentioning that they had made some extra zombies for/from the mod. To my knowledge TomGun42 has not yet released their version.