Snukfin's Server Side Z(S)ombies

Snufkin

Was worried I the spawn probabilities were too low. Installed this mod a whole 2 in game days before horde night. I'm gamestage 69. I was already worried I wasn't prepared enough for a normal horde. This was freaking awesome, especially that crawler that's invisible like the predator. Was definitely not prepared for the banshee to combo with the undertaker. Love this mod SO FREAKING MUCH! I lost count of how many times I died trying to take on a 60 max zombies horde night like this. Luckily i was streaming it to my twitch on youtube, gonna go back and count.

Question(s) - sorry if they have been asked.

1. Do the zombies difficulty scale?  so on day 1-21 with players level 1-30 the zombies are easier?  lower XP and lower HP?

2. if, how hard would it be to add a scaling feature based on the games gate system?

Bonus if  you could make a new NPC/Trader that I can drop on a server that would rock.  in RUST I had a trader walking a path back and forth and if you tried to kill him he would one-shot you.  he would sell stuff. 

Any way to get rid of the vision distortion? I've been picking apart the .xml files and located the distortion line as well as got rid of the mantis. But for some reason during horde night my entire team still gets the vision debuff. Could you explain what line of code I need to get rid of to disable the distortion/vision debuff the mantis zombie and any other zombie have?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, JDead said:

Any way to get rid of the vision distortion? I've been picking apart the .xml files and located the distortion line as well as got rid of the mantis. But for some reason during horde night my entire team still gets the vision debuff. Could you explain what line of code I need to get rid of to disable the distortion/vision debuff the mantis zombie and any other zombie have?

Thanks!

Try changing the "ModifyScreenEffect" in the buff.xml to 0's (below 2 changed to 0) I think that's it I asked the same question of another mod at one point (been awhile) for screen effect. To get rid of him altogether you could just make the spawn chance 0? 

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="2" 

Edited by Dre (see edit history)

On 10/20/2020 at 5:55 AM, Lonestarcanuck said:

1. Do the zombies difficulty scale?  so on day 1-21 with players level 1-30 the zombies are easier?  lower XP and lower HP?

2. if, how hard would it be to add a scaling feature based on the games gate system?

Bonus if  you could make a new NPC/Trader that I can drop on a server that would rock.  in RUST I had a trader walking a path back and forth and if you tried to kill him he would one-shot you.  he would sell stuff. 

Good questions.

1. For regular days, the Snufkin Zombies do not use a difficulty scaling system. Their XP and HP remain the same.

2. The default game has a scaling system whereby days/games stages do not change XP and HP but introduce more feral, radiated, probability chance, and new types of zombies. The Blood Moon for the Snufkin Zombies also has this feature to some extent in that it introduces new zombies and also increasing their probability to spawn.

Based on the default system of introducing new zombies with scaling, here is an example of 'SnowZombies':

<entitygroup name="SnowZombies"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="1"/></entitygroup>
    <entitygroup name="zombieSnowGroupGS1"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="1"/><entity name="zombieSnowFeral" prob="0"/></entitygroup>
    <entitygroup name="zombieSnowGroupGS50"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="0.85"/><entity name="zombieSnowFeral" prob="0.1"/></entitygroup>
    <entitygroup name="zombieSnowGroupGS100"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="0.7"/><entity name="zombieSnowFeral" prob="0.2"/></entitygroup>
    <entitygroup name="zombieSnowGroupGS200"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="0.55"/><entity name="zombieSnowFeral" prob="0.3"/></entitygroup>
    <entitygroup name="zombieSnowGroupGS400"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="0.4"/><entity name="zombieSnowFeral" prob="0.4"/></entitygroup>
    <entitygroup name="zombieSnowGroupGS800"><entity name="zombieSnow" prob="0.25"/><entity name="zombieSnowFeral" prob="0.5"/></entitygroup> 

This can be found in the default 7 Days To Die\Data\Config folder in the entitygroups.xml file. The format used in this scenario is similar in other groups and is typically tagged in other files as well.

1. The group 'SnowZombies' has been constructed to use a scaling system based on player or party game stage totals.

2. prob="1" tells us they will spawn with 100% certainty.

3. In the first instance after the SnowZombies entity group has been initiated, the sub groups are displayed for spawning.

For a very new player at game stage 1, zombieSnowGroupGS1 will spawn a 'zombieSnow' with 100% certainly but NOT spawn a 'zombieSnowFeral' with the same 100% certainty. No ferals at this stage.

However after getting some levels and attaining game stage 100, or maybe teaming up in a party and reaching game stage 100, zombieSnowGroupGS100 will become active. There is a 70% chance of a 'zombieSnow' and 20% chance of a 'zombieSnowFeral'. A slight increase in challenge weighted to increases player capability.

This can become further 'complicated' in the spawning.xml file whereby groups can be set for day/night/total alive at any one time/spawn delay, etc.

Based on this, it could take some time to append the existing files or create unique ones linked to game stage.

However, it can get as sophisticated as calling in a horde of a select group of only Snufkin's Zombies with or without default zombies the screamers (scout?) shrill cries bring in her buddies. The easiest way to implement such a feature would just be to add selective Snufkin Zombies to existing Game Stage groups; e.g.

entitygroups.xml

<entitygroup name="scoutHordeStageGS8"><entity name="zombieBusinessMan"/><entity name="zombieSteve"/><entity name="zombieYo"/><entity name="zombieJoe"/><entity name="zombieMoe"/><entity name="zombieBoe"/><entity name="zombieNurse"/><entity name="zombieCheerleader"/><entity name="zombieSkateboarder"/><entity name="zombieArlene"/><entity name="zombieMarlene"/></entitygroup>

TO:

<entitygroup name="scoutHordeStageGS8"><entity name="zombieBusinessMan"/><entity name="zombieSteve"/><entity name="zombieYo"/><entity name="zombieJoe"/><entity name="zombieMoe"/><entity name="zombieBoe"/><entity name="zombieNurse"/><entity name="zombieCheerleader"/><entity name="zombieSkateboarder"/><entity name="zombieArlene"/><entity name="zombieMarlene"/><entity name="zombieScarecrow"/></entitygroup>

This can be done via a Mod which could add the Scarecrow zombie to the list, or manually via the game default files. This is Stage 8 and could be weighted with more challenging Snufkin zombies in combination as game stage increases.

In summary, the feature to change HP or XP does not currently appear to be implemented for zombies and balance was brought through modifying probability and spawn dynamics instead. Saying that, there is a scaling feature for the amount of XP received when looting so the code for such a feature exists.

It would be nice if modders more experienced in this domain could further expand where possible as this was a good question I'm sure the devs toyed with before reaching the current system.

With the scorcher's projectile attack in mind, couldn't one make a flamethrower gun with that kind of code?

Also, great mod by the way, with the addition of siren and the patches that's been made, this is definitely server friendly.

I believe @xyth has already achieved this as a standalone and quite possibly integrated it into the Creature Packs.

I watched footage of a 'trader bandit' and I'm sure I also saw footage of a wandering trader. It was in a regular building so I can't be certain if he could wander outside or was specific to this location. The Creature Packs are truly superb and I've hardly scratched the surface. It is well worth a visit.

1 minute ago, Ryuudz said:

With the scorcher's projectile attack in mind, couldn't one make a flamethrower gun with that kind of code?

Also, great mod by the way, with the addition of siren and the patches that's been made, this is definitely server friendly.

Yes. In fact Snufkin was sampling a variety of customised weapons in Snufkin's Server Side Weapons which Slawa and oakraven have kindly supported with updates. It's still a work in progress to bring it back to what it was but it's getting there. No harm in asking for an expansion to the collection.

Good to hear this mod is working out for your server environment. A quiet thread on that front is a good sign.

I took a more detailed look at how spawning works and what it means in real play. There is most certainly a dynamic system in place that links to the default system. This won't impact Snufkin zombies HP and XP as they don't progress in class from base to feral to radiated but it will increase their probability to appear more frequently.

The current Snufkin entitygroups.xml are as follows:

Adds to the default entitygroups.xml:

ZombiesNight (Bansee/Geist/Parasite/Bomber/Siren)

ZombiesAll (Parasite/Bomber)

ZombiesBurntForest (Cowhead/Scorcher)

SnowZombies (Wendigo)

The ZombiesNight group has a chance to spawn in the Pine Forest, Burnt Forest, Desert, and Snow biomes with just 1 zombie being called at a time. Just a single roamer to keep the biome active.

In addition, ZombiesNight are also configured to be brought into play on what looks to be a specific day from Day 1 to Day 49 within two further parent groups. This allows the challenge to increase and provide a more dynamic and random feel. In fact, there are days where the zombies are given a 'clamp' command which means the zombies WILL find you. This is not specifically progressive and will create waves of intensity. The devs got this balance just right to keep new players on edge. It's eclectic and dynamic but with that overall long term weighting based on your current level.

ZombiesAll has similar features with set days. Breaks between days introduces the chance to see more Zombie dogs and Vultures and that explains why they can suddenly appear out of nowhere as they are rigged to spawn on set days. Groups at the end of each day stage set are given an astrerix value which probably dictates any day from then on. At this stage the player is probably ready to face the greater challenges.

On top of this are other groups such as for the screamer which are based on how many times she screams. These include our Snufkin zombies as well.

Creates new Snufkin groups within the Mod entitygroups.xml:

ZombiesWastelandNightHard (6 default/Undertaker)

ZombiesPineForest (19 default/Cowhead/Mantis)

ZombiesPineForestNight (7 default feral/Mantis/Psycho)

ZombiesDesertNight (9 default/Undertaker)

The four Snufkin zombies not in any of these default or new groups are Juggernaut (BM+Quest)/Archon(BM)/Scarecrow(BM)/Wrestler(Not applied).

These groups are Biome specific and will add just a very little extra challenge on top of the default challenges. This is because they only add 1 extra zombie at a time. Day 1 to 21 for ZombiesAll progressively increases the total permitted zombies allowed to be alive at the same time from 1 to 8. The one extra in the new groups will not upset things too much unless both groups spawn a Snufkin zombie which is low probability unless server hosts make changes to the probability of both groups.

In summary, Snufkin mentioned that he began testing the mod at about day 200 in the server he tested on and what he did so far is a momentous achievement. The foresight to carefully balance the default groups by adding a greater volume of Snufkin zombies which will be weighted to the day makes it player level friendly.

Snufkin set the probability for Snufkin zombies to spawn very conservatively for non Blood Moon periods meaning they are the exception rather than the rule. As such, the best way to enhance how well they are integrated into the default weighted setup is simply to raise the probability of them spawning.

On my own setup, I have changed the probability for non Blood Moon spawning a liberal 50 fold from prob="0.01" to prob="0.5". This is because I want them to be the rule rather than the exception. Even with this much higher probability, they are competing with other zombies to be selected to spawn and in a long list of zombies with no reduced probability their chances to appear are still pretty low in the early days.

As such, if you don't mind trying and giving feedback, a few things you can do to test a more weighted game style is:

1. Increase probability for each individual Snufkin zombie to spawn.

2. Decrease their base health and XP gain to make it more balanced. They can spawn more often but be eliminated quicker with a basic return proportional to their HP.

3. Know that Snufkin already carefully considered how they will link to the dynamic default file groups and see how your lower level gaming group players respond.

14 hours ago, arramus said:

Good to hear this mod is working out for your server environment. A quiet thread on that front is a good sign.

I agree. With the work everyone has put in plus help from Snufkin as well this mod has really gotten to a great place for A19. I've had no actual issues for a while now, it's mostly just tweaking things to get them were you want them to be. Thankfully as long as you make backups of your xml files + saves beforehand it can be a lot of fun to tinker with them and not have to worry about messing up your game or save file. 👍

In our case we've opted for really low spawn rates on all the Snufkin zombos, but have buffed them to be a real absolute menance. No wrong way to play with this one and I'm glad to see folks have gotten it fixed up for everyone to play with again!

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Hi all, I am getting errors on startup with the mod applied. Can anyone tell me if it works with the Darkness Falls mod also applied?

Darkness Falls is a complete overhaul of the existing default game files and the potential for conflicting errors is very high. This is because Snufkin's Custom Zombies are sophisticated enhancements to the existing xml code. Darkness Falls makes some fundamental changes to that code and the zombies will not be able to find their assets and this will bring up errors. It is certainly possible to port them over using the Darkness Falls assets and it may well be worth while to ask in the Darkness Falls thread.

Here is a link for Snufkin Custom Zombies A19 - Stable

https://github.com/arramus/Snufkin-CustomZombies-A19-Stable-2020Oct22

After decent feedback from regular server administrators @BubbaJoe and @Dre who are actually putting the mod through its paces with their own customised settings, and also golden support from @Slawa, @h0tr0d, @Robeloto, and @ShoudenKalferas for their eagle eyes and timely modding suggestions, Snufkin's Custom Zombies moves out of A19 testing to stable. There have been no major issues reported from server admin and the thread has been focussed on tweaks rather than fixes for the past week or so.

One small update has been made to the Bomber as I totally missed his Explosion Particle 4 (car debris) and it caused some issues on a play test. His existing property has been commented out with the new property placed below. Value 6 is for a detonation which is in context with his action.

<!--property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="4"/-->
<property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="6"/>

There are certainly other contributors in this thread, as well as within the larger community for hosting. Salutations to all.

I met the Juggernaut for the first time in BM yesterday at day 65 with days set to 80 minutes and dawn for 3am but it didn't last long enough to get a screenshot. Neither did my gaming bud on this occasion who existed momentarily for a breather. I could get a screenshot of the damage though.

A layer of steel cladding and a steel column were melted like butter. The iron bars were used as toothpicks while the torment continued.

20201022000655_1.thumb.jpg.f2fb82090eb5f29effb69e42856945a1.jpg

And those ones can keep their distance as a melee swarm with Geist, and Archon with its more responsive melee, can be testy.

20201021235643_1.thumb.jpg.8c50e2696f55ac927d3d825a84739058.jpg

Moving on from here, there have been some requests from server admin and client hosts on how to tweak the spawns and settings to their own specifications. I hope regular server admin can possibly uploaded their own settings so we can demonstrate a range; such as low spawn rate with high return, and vice versa or proportional XP for higher/lower HP to maintain balance. This can be both instantly usable and educational which is what Snufkin's Custom Zombies has been all about for a lot of us. 👍

On 10/18/2020 at 12:57 PM, Snufkin said:

@arramusThat's really nice of you. I request I will make: since I'm linking a post on the first page of this thread, please post there any updates/new versions that you release.

@Snufkin Hi Snufkin. Now that A19 has gone stable again and we could extensively test the mod in it, and since feedback has shown Snufkins Custom Zombies feels very server stable in all respects, the mod has moved from test phase and been updated to A19 - Stable as well.

I was just looking for the link on the first page to visit the MischiefMaker. Maybe this is still in the process of being set up? The timing is great anyway now that the A19 Stable is released.

(I had one more small request, may I bundle a new vehicle ('Whirligig' gyro/helicopter hybrid) into Snufkins Custom Vehicle's and release that as a stable A19 mod as well? I have tested it for a good 2 weeks in a dedicated server without issue. There is one small WIP issue with the Army Truck that I have put in the official bug thread to see if the collision box can be updated in the future. It's an inherent game issue and nothing introduced by the mod)

Curious who this strange bald zombie is. Was wondering if he's maybe the cowhead or juggernaut? You can see the scarecrow without his head on the left of the bald one, so figured maybe it was a similar issue of the server struggling to keep up with the 60 max zombies setting. 

mystery_zombie.png

1 hour ago, magejosh said:

Curious who this strange bald zombie is. Was wondering if he's maybe the cowhead or juggernaut? You can see the scarecrow without his head on the left of the bald one, so figured maybe it was a similar issue of the server struggling to keep up with the 60 max zombies setting. 

Yes, you are correct with your assumption on the Cowhead without his weapon and headdress. I have seen that as well. As I approached closer they reappeared again. In this case you are really close and the mayhem is clearly competing for processing priority. I have seen some really high specification servers/client rigs have exactly the same issue and believe it's a game code/software setup thing as much as a hardware thing. Here is what I've seen with such issues for various visual/updating problems:

For clients - The current game caching and optimising system plus a slower HDD = Issues with Prefabs showing imposter walls, etc and issues with updating Snufkin zombies.

For servers - The current game caching and optimising system plus a slower HDD = Issues with synchronisation with can exacerbate the clients issues if they are on a HDD.

A double cascade.

Ensuring virtual paging is turned on for the OS drive or additional drives depending on setup has brought good results for both client and server. A recent post about a 32 player Slovakian server confirmed paging impacts stability even with 128gb RAM. The 30th player was often getting booted even though there was so much redundant RAM. Paging was turned off as it was considered so much redundant RAM would suffice. It was clear that certain processes were very dependent on software paging in the background. And having an SSD for client or server certainly makes a difference with the extra read/write redundancy. I was getting a huge amount of the imposter walls showing up around Prefabs and had my game on an HDD with the OS on SDD because of size restrictions. Bringing the game over to the SDD solved 95% of the issues instantly with only periodic imposter issues on trader doors and stairs from time to time. I hope it holds up. It looks to be connected with an Editor feature with 'stability glue' and has been reported.

Oh the big sighs of relief we'll hear once the game reaches serious optimisation stage.

Ok i'm not sure how to check those things on the server as I'm using pingperfect to host it. i will look into it, i believe i can upgrade to it being hosted on a SSD though. My client is installed on SSD. I'm not too worried about the zombie, it honestly added variety to have them show up slightly different through out the night. Even saw one bomber without his barrel on his back. I just wasn't sure who that one was. He got me twice. This mod is really one of the best available for this game. Thank You to everyone responsible for it!

On a side note, I'm curious if it's possible to make the banshee's scream capable of calling in a wandering horde like the screamer does? Should i just add her to my scout entity groups or is there a more elegant way?

1 hour ago, magejosh said:

On a side note, I'm curious if it's possible to make the banshee's scream capable of calling in a wandering horde like the screamer does? Should i just add her to my scout entity groups or is there a more elegant way?

I see. A very interesting concept such as through this easy method of adding her directly to the default entitygroups.xml via Snufkin entitygroups.xml as a last entry so she joins her cousin:

<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='ZombiesScouts']">
        <entity name="zombieBanshee"/>
    </append>

And seeing if her scream will have the same impact as the zombieScreamer since the banshee already shares multiple properties of hers, including scream, and they may be connected.

Go for it! We await your feedback as this can take BM or even regular day roaming to another level should it already be integrated without needing further appendages. And if it doesn't work, there can always be further tweaks.

28 minutes ago, magejosh said:

Seems that didn't work according to the server console.

You tried, and now we know. Thank you.

It is either hardcoded to be that way or missing something fundamental either at the same level or connected to a level up the hierarchical chain where they may separate.

As a temporary workaround, maybe also adding the screamer to the regular Blood Moon feralHordeStage can add the illusion of anybody's screams bringing extra hordes. Maybe dropping the regular Blood Moon amount by 1 that can be alive at any time and adding her to the Snufkin Zombies blood moon group would offer a twist. There would potentially be periods of mellower play followed by periods of out and out mayhem as screamer hordes joined the array. A moment to breathe before the next onslaught. That is if there aren't any hardcoding conflicts.

I just visited a pretty new server running a variety of server side mods which included Snufkin Zombies. The Admin, 'Catman' gave permission to share the details if you are ever wanting a place to play. My ping was 250+ and I know that was pretty true due to my location but it felt very stable in there.

Search ZombieShack PVE in the server name or drop in directly to 51.89.217.222:26910 which should stay the same as it's a rented server.

I hadn't even reached the first trader and came across this challenge, which I ultimately ran away from as the Scorcher just brushed off anything I could throw at it.

20201023172903_1.thumb.jpg.df75af29d0309fed03ae862e1d4b68d6.jpg

If any other server hosts want to share their own servers running Snufkin Zombies, it will give clients options. If we get enough, we can collate them into a list.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:41 AM, arramus said:

You tried, and now we know. Thank you.

It is either hardcoded to be that way or missing something fundamental either at the same level or connected to a level up the hierarchical chain where they may separate.

As a temporary workaround, maybe also adding the screamer to the regular Blood Moon feralHordeStage can add the illusion of anybody's screams bringing extra hordes. Maybe dropping the regular Blood Moon amount by 1 that can be alive at any time and adding her to the Snufkin Zombies blood moon group would offer a twist. There would potentially be periods of mellower play followed by periods of out and out mayhem as screamer hordes joined the array. A moment to breathe before the next onslaught. That is if there aren't any hardcoding conflicts.

so i took a look at Doughphungus' a19 update of Kheldon's Screamer Bears mod. After looking at it and the work you all and Snufkin did in the entitygroups xml. Decided to try out meeting your specific format to append the other entitygroups for the zombiesScouts. Added zombie banshee the same way you added the others, but took off the probability code because that just means 100% without it right?

As it stands, this version of the code did not throw up that same error I got last time. And I could load into the server without any red flags. 

Decided to just go find an old a18 mod for reducing the heatmap from different blocks. Instead reversed that logic on the campfire and made that into my first mod, Death by Campfire. That should do the trick of screamers spawning more often that will summon a horde, and hopefully with this addition there will be equal chance it's a screamer or a banshee. 

snufkins screamer banshee.png

Hello,
there is any way to lower gpu usage?
I mean after installing this modification on my pc, use of gpu went from 70W to 110W ( in watts ) and i had to lower resolution to don't hear helicopter in my room :D
It's just a question, with my gpu ( cleanliness, undervolt etc. ) is everything ok

4 hours ago, magejosh said:

Decided to try out meeting your specific format to append the other entitygroups for the zombiesScouts. Added zombie banshee the same way you added the others, but took off the probability code because that just means 100% without it right?

snufkins screamer banshee.png

Let's check what's happening here.

Using the <entitygroup name="ZombiesScouts"> in the same format as the lower section possibly attempts to commit the request as a totally new group as it's not getting @ tagged to an existing group. But then again, I have not moved away from the original variables and am interested to see how it will effect the original ZombieScouts group; such as overwriting it or appending it. There are typically multiple ways to perform the same action with some working better than others. It'll either add, replace, or be ignored. I am interested to see.

Death by Campfire.... I shall be looking out for it as a public release.

4 hours ago, Falcon337 said:

Hello,
there is any way to lower gpu usage?
I mean after installing this modification on my pc, use of gpu went from 70W to 110W ( in watts ) and i had to lower resolution to don't hear helicopter in my room :D
It's just a question, with my gpu ( cleanliness, undervolt etc. ) is everything ok

These new zombies are certainly a much more powerful stock than the usual ones...

Has your GPU wattage increased just in an ambient setting, when you see 1 Snukin Zombie, or when facing a Blood Moon, or all of these?

Each zombie has additional models attached to their bodies and the demand on processing has quite possibly intensified. Especially if they are throwing around fireballs, and such. All you can really do is turn off or down some more of the graphics features to reduce demand and see what the impact is. Unfortunately, this is the first report I recall in this thread of such an occurrence and your own tweaking of your graphics settings will be a learning experience for us all.