Anyone else miss gun crafting from a14/ a15

sgtironsides

For me gun crafting in A14/ A15 was more fun. Wanting to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing and if they should bring it back.

what system was that again?

They reworked it so often that I honestly cant tell anymore?

Was it the part system? Where you needed barrel grip and stuff?

Then yes. It was the superior system, coupled with the 600 quality. If they added onto that the mod system from 17&18 and some other stuff it would have been Legendary! :D

But I guess the system we now have is fine. Not great, not bad... It does its job.

Ya I like finding a gun part, comparing and upgrading my weapon with new stuff. Made it feel more...'This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine'.

Not to go off topic, but I really miss the biome dividing river system too.

It was not that bad... but with the current system, crafting your guns is not the top end of weapons anymore and that's the conflict imho.

They now have random stats and you can not craft the best weapons yourself anymore, no matter what skills you have or parts you find, you need to find the "legendaries".

Being that looting is now the way to play I also miss finding the gun parts. Seems like the old gun part system would have worked pretty well in conjunction with the 17+ mods system. I wonder if it's possible to sort of mix the two with 17+ mods also having a quality level. Say a purple barrel extender would give +5 range and +2 damage (as example) where an orange quality would give +2 and +1 (again just for example). Anyway with that said I think 7 days just gets better and better, even if some things I liked were removed. I don't remember which alpha I started playing but I remember having to craft a crossbow minecraft style where you need to place the components in the proper grid pattern.

I liked the gun crafting in A14/A15. You couldn't repair or improve firearms you found until you found the schematics. Thus firearms were used at the beginning only for emergency situations. Otherwise you used the primitive weapons you could craft like the bow or the club.

The primitive bow in A18 is very weak and you can find lots of ammunition and guns. So there's no reason for players to stick with primitive weapons.

Yeah, I loved it, along with the 600 quality system.

Bloated storage was the only downside.

I have a WAY more bloated storage now with 3000 parts flying around! Either I used the weapon to upgrade the one I already had or I scrapped them.

Why keep a 200 quality rifle stock when you already have a 598 one?

Now EVERY gun and weapon gets scrapped for parts. And its not mechanical parts as in A17, but weapon parts, which means they traded the A16 bloated part system for a A18 bloated part system which is inferior in nearly every way :D

The same system for vehicles was awesome too. Installing a 600'ish qual engine gave a speed advantage over a lowly 200'ish. I used to purposely give my co-op buddy a mini-bike with an inferior engine :D If I recall correctly the battery quality affected the ability to start the thing too. Either to had to try it a couple times sometimes or it just took a bit longer to roll over, I don't remember exactly. Was very cool though.

The same system for vehicles was awesome too. Installing a 600'ish qual engine gave a speed advantage over a lowly 200'ish. I used to purposely give my co-op buddy a mini-bike with an inferior engine :D If I recall correctly the battery quality affected the ability to start the thing too. Either to had to try it a couple times sometimes or it just took a bit longer to roll over, I don't remember exactly. Was very cool though.

I actually gave the 600ish ones to my friends and kept my 350 one...

Why? Because I'm selfish and the server couldn't handly speeds over 400 so they constantly had to start-stop every few metres to not fall into the abyss xD

For me gun crafting in A14/ A15 was more fun. Wanting to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing and if they should bring it back.

No, it did not make any sense at all. Who the hell, besides my crazy gunsmith uncle, has gun parts in their house? The quality system makes sense because i view it as different brands of guns, but incomplete parts scattered around the world? insanity.

No, it did not make any sense at all. Who the hell, besides my crazy gunsmith uncle, has gun parts in their house? The quality system makes sense because i view it as different brands of guns, but incomplete parts scattered around the world? insanity.

I have some parts for two different rifles that I'm currently building. Lots of people build guns with individually picked parts. If anything, the old system was overly simplified.

In USA tons of people do, millions. What country you live in?

Nope don't miss it at all. Not saying i hated it or anything but I've never thought once about it again since it was changed. I just play the game with the tools they give me.

Honestly there isn't a single aspect of the game I feel motivated to write and complain or reminisce about. Every single system in the game can be improved but none of makes me want to stop playing the game.

I absolutely LOVED this mechanic, for the following reasons....

1) It gave gradual rewarding progression to your firepower through looting. Anything that encourages looting is good in my book. We used to pump the air on finding a decent gun part for god's sake. Where's the air-pumping in A17+? Gone. Crucible perhaps, or Anti-rad mod schematic, perhaps, but that's it.

2) Your guns became rather personal, and thus you were attached to them. We found each player would end up having their own set of all gun types - or at least all gun types they were interested in, I personally never bothered with Magnums. We each built our own gun safes in our bases and kept our personal collections. Was awesome. Every gun was special to its owner.

3) If we then found say an SMG Barrel level 250, then the player with the crappest Barrel in his current SMG (that was under 250) would get the new Barrel. Gave great progression and feeling of "all for one, one for all" etc. We were musketeers dammit!!

4) We would always play our current map at least until we all had level 600 for all our favorite Guns. This gave us a well-defined end-game goal. A decent end-game is something this game has never had since they removed gun part combining, and something it desperately needs. The irony! Reaching this end-game often took us to day 200+ so we saw gamestages in A16 etc that few other players have experienced. Trust me, day 200+ in A16 was simply amazing. Best horde nights I have ever experienced. We lost quite a few full-on Steel fortress bases back in the day!

It is a mechanic that is greatly missed. A17+ and the RNG of gun stats and the hunt for mods is NO SUBSTITUTE imo, and is just another example of the game being dumbed-down from its past glories.

Yeah, I loved the old gun system; it was a lot of fun to find a crappy gun and gradually upgrade it - but I also did end out with several storage crates FULL of gun parts, and I couldn't sell em to the traders quick enough!

I accept the devs want to limit the number of parts needed and focus the resources on core stuff; and I get it, but do miss lots of old things; like turning ore into scrap, wood into sticks for spikes; and I'm sure I'll keep a copy of alpha 16 to play in the future.

Having said that, I like the direction the gun and weapon mods are taking, and while they aren't the same, they add a certain personality - finding a multi mod slot gun is great - but reckon there is further tinkering ahead.

I'd love it if it came back, but cope fine without it.

Archived