Recommended Video Card for A18e?

Laz Man

So you have GTX 960.. If I remember correctly madmole himself bought GTX 970 for his pc several Alphas ago. Not sure if he still uses the same hardware, but maybe someone with the same card could tell you how does it run on their pc. I don't know how much USD that would be for you, but if you have a limited budget, I guess it's either that or save for a better card...

No I didnt know that. That's why I made a post asking for recommendations. Thanks for the insight. 👍

Ignore any foolish attempts to get you to buy outside of Nvidia.

...non Nvidia card users have a plethora of problems with a plethora of games, in 7days there is an Rwg generation issue with amd cards, just as an example.

Don't. Go. There.

Nvidia only, homie.

I'm not saying it is impossible to buy a better card. What I am saying is it is rediculous to expect everyone to buy a $1k card to play a video game. A card that is only a couple years old should be able to run the game on low graphics settings. But to put everything on low and turn off many other features and still not get 30 FPS is crap. Otherwise they are alienating many players who have enjoyed the game, but don't have an extra $1k laying around for a new video card. I have hundreds of hours into this game and now it is unplayable.

For reference, I played A13 and A14 on my old Geforce 460 and got plenty good frame rate. I played A15 and A16 on my Geforce 960 and it ran great. But when they went to A17 and A18, you now need a supercomputer to run the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I get what you're going through. I've been scratching my head since day one at some majorly messed up frame rates randomly. However, it looks like they figured out that a bunch of textures weren't set to stream properly, eating up VRAM. They are working on it now and expect significant improvements on the next minor patch. I did recently purchase a new video card specifically for this game because my 1070 plays all my other games great. It's the price we pay for playing an Alpha game. We just have to be patient. I've been reading through the forums and experimenting, trying to get it working somewhat reasonable. Here is a list of basic things I've been reading and determine help -

F1 Command Line (in game)

Followed by:

GFX DT (To disable draw distance)

GFX PP ENABLE 0 (Type 1 instead to reenable)

NVidia Control panel

AF (Antistropic Filtering) set to 2X

Texture Filtering Quality set to PERFORMANCE

In Game visual

Turn down resolution

In Quality settings:

Turn off Shadows and reflections

Thanks for the post. Will give this a try.

Yeh it's super inconsiderate of the pimps... They should release it as a special version you have to manually opt into, with a huge disclaimer about it having potential issues...

...oh, then they should acknowledge the problem immediately, and then try and figure out the cause, then they should suggest a few things to try and mitigate the issue, oh yeh and once they figure out a good solution? They should test it a bunch and then release an update for oh, let's call it an "experimental" version...

Oh, wait.

no need to be rude Guppycar.

Yes, A18 is in experimental. But A17 was out for a year and for me and my computer, it was unplayable and all the friends that I used to play the game with also can no longer play because of the rediculous hardware needed to run it. No reason to expect A18 to be playable since they never fixed A17 to be playable for many 7 Days players.

My point is this, a large percentage of the buyers of this game bought it and they could play it great. TFP just keeps upping the system requirements to where people who own the game cannot play it any longer. Just trying to get TFP to consider that the game should be able to still be run (even if on low settings) rather than making it totally unplayable for so many.

Avid gamers may update their entire rig every 1-2 years. But much of the player base does not want to update their hardware continuously. Maybe for new games, but usually not for a game they already own. At least this is my opinion and the opinion of all the players I used to play with in real life that no longer play because of this issue. And we are not alone since there are dozens (maybe into the hundreds of players) begging in the forums for what settings to choose so they can play.

I appreciate TFP hard work on A17 and A18. Watching the video on streamers weekend was pretty. I just think they have abandoned a significant portion of their player base with the past two alphas having significant FPS issues...

Gtx 980ti and Titan X can be bought for under $100, similar to a 1070 in performance with a 980ti slightly surpassing it.

If you buy used of course. And most retailers offer buyer protection.

I have even seen used 1080ti's under 330$

Nope, no thanks. Those cards are often used for mining. That and the GTX 1070.

Hi gang, I decided to do a ram upgrade for now as it's the cheaper alternative. Should bump me up to 24gb total, 2 x 8gb (new) + 2 x 4gb dimms (existing). Will report back once its Delivered and installed...

I hope the frequency and timings were rated the same... could possibly end up with stability issues otherwise.

If you guys don't mind turning shadows off completely, you can greatly improve your FPS. In my case, its a difference of upwards of 30 frames per second on a 1080ti 2012Mhz, 5930k 4.5Ghz, 32 ddr4 @2666. Same results when I multiseat a second copy of the game with a 970 hosting a second VM, dramatically increasing FPS by just switching off shadows. Of course YRMV, but definitely worth a shot if you guys are having issues with low frames.

I hope the frequency and timings were rated the same... could possibly end up with stability issues otherwise.

Yep made sure same.

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys don't mind turning shadows off completely, you can greatly improve your FPS. In my case, its a difference of upwards of 30 frames per second on a 1080ti 2012Mhz, 5930k 4.5Ghz, 32 ddr4 @2666. Same results when I multiseat a second copy of the game with a 970 hosting a second VM, dramatically increasing FPS by just switching off shadows. Of course YRMV, but definitely worth a shot if you guys are having issues with low frames.

Will try that thanks.

Memory Delivered Early :) 24GB total now. Definite improvement but still notice that the snow biome seems to have lower FPS when compared to other biomes.

Snow Biome (PREGEN02, 900p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~20 to 25 FPS)

ecAZRXa.png

Snow Biome (PREGEN02, 1080p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~15 to 20 FPS)

oXE4Qif.png

Forest Biome (PREGEN01, 900p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~70 FPS)

h0FdAwC.png

Forest Biome (PREGEN01, 1080p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~52 FPS)

c85h8i4.png

Yes, A18 is in experimental. But A17 was out for a year and for me and my computer, it was unplayable and all the friends that I used to play the game with also can no longer play because of the rediculous hardware needed to run it. No reason to expect A18 to be playable since they never fixed A17 to be playable for many 7 Days players.

To be fair, I'm running it on the integrated Intel GPU on my Core i5. It's not fantastic, and I have the settings on low; but it's playable.

Horde night lags a bit; but that just makes me look forward to when my dedicated GPU arrives in the mail. :)

(Also, a17 was playable on medium settings with the integrated GPU. There are also a lot of people in this thread saying they are getting pretty good performance on $200 video cards.)

I get what you're saying about modern games needing pretty high specs and the cost of top-tier GPUs is crazy. But I feel "unplayable" is a bit overstated.

F1 Command Line (in game)

Followed by:

GFX DT (To disable draw distance)

GFX PP ENABLE 0 (Type 1 instead to reenable)

NVidia Control panel

AF (Antistropic Filtering) set to 2X

Texture Filtering Quality set to PERFORMANCE

In Game visual

Turn down resolution

In Quality settings:

Turn off Shadows and reflections

I'm doing exactly this on my old potato with 8Gb ram and a GTX480 with 0,5Gb. The game runs around 30 fps. Not great, but just about playable.

To be fair, I'm running it on the integrated Intel GPU on my Core i5. It's not fantastic, and I have the settings on low; but it's playable.

Horde night lags a bit; but that just makes me look forward to when my dedicated GPU arrives in the mail. :)

(Also, a17 was playable on medium settings with the integrated GPU. There are also a lot of people in this thread saying they are getting pretty good performance on $200 video cards.)

I get what you're saying about modern games needing pretty high specs and the cost of top-tier GPUs is crazy. But I feel "unplayable" is a bit overstated.

I can now at least get decent FPS on my $200 video card from 5 years ago. If I can figure why my FPS dips in the snow biome occasionally I plan to bump my settings back to full textures and 1080p.

Memory Delivered Early :) 24GB total now. Definite improvement but still notice that the snow biome seems to have lower FPS when compared to other biomes.

Snow Biome (PREGEN02, 900p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~20 to 25 FPS)

ecAZRXa.png

Snow Biome (PREGEN02, 1080p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~15 to 20 FPS)

oXE4Qif.png

Forest Biome (PREGEN01, 900p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~70 FPS)

h0FdAwC.png

Forest Biome (PREGEN01, 1080p, medium settings, AF disabled - ~52 FPS)

c85h8i4.png

Your processor seems to be maxed out too in the last 2 screenshots. What model do you have ?

Your processor seems to be maxed out too in the last 2 screenshots. What model do you have ?

Yeah I noticed that too. I think an i5 Intel CPU from 5 years ago. No money in the budget to do any other upgrades for now. Aside from the video card, the next upgrade might be a new a new PC build. 😅

Honestly a CPU upgrade might be better than a new video card otherwise you might just end up bottlenecking your GPU's performance. One thing you can try is setting the CPU priority to high. You will need to turn off EAC, but I do it with my AMD fx-8350 and it seems to give it a little more "umph".

My guess its a 4 core CPU. Only DDR3 too. Yeah, complete new one will solve much problems. If you are getting a better GPU, the CPU will bottleneck afterwards and then you buy another thing too.

Best to make a complete decision and plan it accordingly.

Or do an upgrade with used parts, maybe a better processor fits in your Mainboard. But for further decisions you need all Details of your current machine :)

And hey, at least your game runs :)

My guess its a 4 core CPU. Only DDR3 too. Yeah, complete new one will solve much problems. If you are getting a better GPU, the CPU will bottleneck afterwards and then you buy another thing too.

Or do an upgrade with used parts, maybe a better processor fits in your Mainboard. But for further decisions you need all Details of your current machine :)

Yeah...not complaining. Happy my potatoe can run med/high with decent frames most of the time.

Good Guess :)

Intel® Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

Base speed: 3.30 GHz

Sockets: 1

Cores: 4

Logical processors: 4

Virtualization: Enabled

L1 cache: 256 KB

L2 cache: 1.0 MB

L3 cache: 6.0 MB

I'm running a 1060 6GB, which worked fine for A17 at 1080p. But with A18 I'm getting a metric tonne of stuttering and mouse lag. Anyone know if the graphics card is likely to be my bottleneck, or maybe the CPU (Intel i5-7500)? I'm hoping not the latter, because I'll then also need a new motherboard and possibly RAM (of which I have 16GB).

I'm running a 1060 6GB, which worked fine for A17 at 1080p. But with A18 I'm getting a metric tonne of stuttering and mouse lag. Anyone know if the graphics card is likely to be my bottleneck, or maybe the CPU (Intel i5-7500)? I'm hoping not the latter, because I'll then also need a new motherboard and possibly RAM (of which I have 16GB).

I have almost the same setup as you except the cpu (I5-6600k which is almost the same) and I get 90fps on average at 1080p. Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? Drivers up to date? Not visiting shady sites? Also check if your components aren't getting too hot as this will cause throttling and servery impact performance. Dust?

Archived