Recommended Video Card for A18e?

Laz Man

I'm sure TFPs will figure out a way to improve performance on lower end cards eventually but I'm contemplating on using this opportunity to buy a new video card...

Any recommendations on a good value for performance card around $200 that can run A18e well?

I currently have the following.

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+

12GB RAM (EDIT: 10/12/19 - Upgraded to 24GB)

Currently playing medium settings and 1600x900 resolution getting 15 to 30 FPS outside POIs

Edit: Radeon 570 8GB seems like a good value currently but would prefer to stick with nvidia if I can...

I have a GTX1060 in one box, and it's barely playable, the fps is so bad.

I have an RTX2060 in another box, and it performs very well.

I'm still trying to get the fps up on the box with the 1060, as the rest of my players have 1050s or less. I'm hoping there is some magic combination of settings that will make it playable.

My pc is a i5-7500, 24 gb ram, and a geforce 1070, it seems to be able to do 60 fps at 1080p, with some options disabled like bloom and such, might even be fine with them on I just shut them off as i hate those effects.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a GTX1060 in one box, and it's barely playable, the fps is so bad.

I have an RTX2060 in another box, and it performs very well.

I'm still trying to get the fps up on the box with the 1060, as the rest of my players have 1050s or less. I'm hoping there is some magic combination of settings that will make it playable.

The gtx 1060 is actually a fairly bad card performance wise, just like the 960 was bad. You want the xx70 or xx80 models. the xx60/50 geforce models are basically budget cards with performance to match.

Why would you prefer to stick with a company that price gouges customers and barely outperforms the competition? You realize next year RDNA2 cards will destroy NVIDIA RTX lineup in ray tracing right? So will consoles Lmao.

No I didnt know that. That's why I made a post asking for recommendations. Thanks for the insight. 👍

My pc is a i5-7500, 24 gb ram, and a geforce 1070, it seems to be able to do 60 fps at 1080p, with some options disabled like bloom and such, might even be fine with them on I just shut them off as i hate those effects.

- - - Updated - - -

The gtx 1060 is actually a fairly bad card performance wise, just like the 960 was bad. You want the xx70 or xx80 models. the xx60/50 geforce models are basically budget cards with performance to match.

Dang.... my old 660 was a workhorse, so I figured I was safe with the 1060. If I had the money, I'd upgrade everyone here to a 2060, as the one I have really screams.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I would of went for the 970 at the time but due to budget constraints I went with the 960. Given how long it has lasted me, I've been happy with the purchase.

Thank you all for your advice so far. 👍

I'm sure TFPs will figure out a way to improve performance on lower end cards eventually but I'm contemplating on using this opportunity to buy a new video card...😁

Any recommendations on a good value for performance card around $200 that can run A18e well?

I currently have the following.

GTX 960 (I forget memory atm)

12GB RAM

Currently playing medium settings and 1600x900 resolution getting 15 to 30 FPS outside POIs

Edit: Radeon 570 8GB seems like a good value currently but would prefer to stick with nvidia if I can...😁

The GTX 1660 6GB is about the only thing that would be suggestible to you based on all your preferences. You can get one on Newegg now for about $225 or so..probably can catch a deal somewhere as well. It's roughly the same as a 1070 in performance - a little lower here and there..but generally performs about like a slightly underclocked 1070 would.

Your 960 is very likely a 4GB card and performance is dropping primarily due to running out of VRAM.

Hey there is nothing wrong with Nvidia back in the day they were great, just the RTX lineup is completely BS and all their cards are overpriced. nearly 300 buck for a 1660 Ti???? I'd wait for the RX 5600/5500 if you still game in 1080p as they'll slap Nvidia and be cheaper. IF you did upgrade and could find a good deal on their cards it would be worth it. But not a their current price range since next year RTX will be more obsolete than last gen consoles. Oh and the GTX 1060 is an amazing card if you can get it close to 200, it still kicks butt today (friend still uses that and an FX series AMD CPU. Not hating on the company I just happen to have done more research when I decided my time to upgrade was here :p

i have a i5-4590 3.3 gh, 24g ddr3 and a msi rx580 armor with 8g ddr5

work very fine with medium-high settings, 45+ fps

i didn't enter yet any big buildings but so far looks good to me

the 580 cost around 200 euro on amazon so it's in your price range, but i reccomend you to increase the ram also, 12gb seem a little low to me

The problem with AMD cards is not the hardware its the drivers, and all the issues amd cards seem to have with games that geforce cards don't. Yeah geforce cards are a bit over priced, but at least they generally always work without issues. I mean look at the Amd issue with A18, it'll get fixed, but it never woulda happened if you were using a geforce card. Not to mention you only get weird crap like that happening on amd hardware for some reason.

The problem with AMD cards is not the hardware its the drivers, and all the issues amd cards seem to have with games that geforce cards don't. Yeah geforce cards are a bit over priced, but at least they generally always work without issues. I mean look at the Amd issue with A18, it'll get fixed, but it never woulda happened if you were using a geforce card. Not to mention you only get weird crap like that happening on amd hardware for some reason.

I have had similar experiences in the past as well and that is why I tend to lean towards nvidia. However, I am open to other alternatives.

Nvidia 1660ti is an excellent card for about $220. I'm running everything at highest settings (minus the motion blur) and it's a steady 60-70 fps. You could get a slightly more powerful AMD card for the same price BUT the problem is it uses twice as much power and the heat is crazy so you need more cooling or it throttles and the drivers suck. At max usage (using hashcat password cracker) it still only uses 110watts compared to the 220watts an rx590 card uses. And it's totally silent to boot.

I've owned both AMD and Nvidia cards and while AMD can give you more raw power for the same price there are serious tradeoffs like power, hear, and just the generally low quality of the manufacturing. I've never had to return a nvidia card and I've never had driver issues even though I use linux exclusively and linux is like the least supported OS for gaming.

The gtx1660ti with 6GB of ddr6 RAM for 110 watts at $220 dollars is probably one of the most cost /power/noise efficient cards out there. It is equivalent to a gtx1070 in power and roughly the same as a gtx2060 for most games (most games dont take advantage of gtx2060s newer features)

Hope that helps

I just went through this myself recently. I bought the Radeon 5700 XT, thinking it was a great deal. The card itself, was great in regard to performance on Heaven benchmarks for me. When I jumped in the game, the tearing was wretched. I tried rolling back drivers and a few other tricks. It just wasn't playable. The card went back to the seller and I ordered a RTX 2070 Super instead. Yeah, it's $100 more, but NVidia just does drivers better in general. NVidia has their 1660 is around $200 and is a bit faster than the GTX 1060.

I am glad I bought my GTX1080 when I did, It is decent with a mid-range i7 860 @ 3.3ghz.

I would suggest an investment in a good card and not a decent card, something to last you for 3 or more years. If you had to, you could always make payments with some no-interest for a year type credit, I realize this why I am up to my neck in debt because I did this too often but for a one purchase you can get a store card from Newegg or Amazon or even PayPal and make $50.00 payments for a while and you could have the card now and play now an pay later over payments in a year type-thing.

It could be possible that the experimental beta A18 is just too hard on your CPU and maybe a new video card will not even help that much, who knows, maybe the physics processing of the voxel engine with new added content could really be taxing your CPU. This could be tested by a variety of guys with different specs to find which systems are performing better and which systems are not.

Sounds like a good topic to start and find out where the problem lies in performance. It would suck for guys to go out and buy the best GPUs just to find out they need a faster CPU instead. I do not want to start a topic on this seeing how I am not going to try A18 and I will stick with A17.4.

So I'm running a linux (ubuntu 18.4) desktop with a Ryzen 5 1600x and 16GB of DDR4 RAM, along with that nvidia 1660ti and it's absolutely butter smooth. Before that I had the exact same specs except an nvidia 1050 GPU and I couldnt even run the game at medium settings so I can tell from experience that the GPU made a HUGE difference.

That being said. This game is very RAM intensive (same with minecraft and other voxel games) and definitely runs better with a CPU that has more cores, like AMD CPU's do. RAM and multiple cores make a huge difference in voxel games. 8GB of ram could definitly be a bottleneck. I cant even run big minecraft modpacks on 8gb and that's way less RAM intensive than this game.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely disagree. I currently have a GTX 1060 FTW+ 6GB version with a slight overclock beyond the already default overclock and I personally am quite happy with it, running Rise of the Tomb Raider on max settings and pretty much all other games also on max settings (at 1080p). It may be inexpensive now, but it used to be priced at over $450 when it released. I don't know how well it performs with A18 of this game though as I don't have time to try it out. Besides, it's an unstable beta release, so not really interested.

I do agree with your statement about AMD GPUs not being as good as Nvidia in terms of drivers and whatnot... AMD GPUs just aren't worth the small savings.

Nvidia 1660ti is an excellent card for about $220. I'm running everything at highest settings (minus the motion blur) and it's a steady 60-70 fps. You could get a slightly more powerful AMD card for the same price BUT the problem is it uses twice as much power and the heat is crazy so you need more cooling or it throttles and the drivers suck. At max usage (using hashcat password cracker) it still only uses 110watts compared to the 220watts an rx590 card uses. And it's totally silent to boot.

I've owned both AMD and Nvidia cards and while AMD can give you more raw power for the same price there are serious tradeoffs like power, hear, and just the generally low quality of the manufacturing. I've never had to return a nvidia card and I've never had driver issues even though I use linux exclusively and linux is like the least supported OS for gaming.

The gtx1660ti with 6GB of ddr6 RAM for 110 watts at $220 dollars is probably one of the most cost /power/noise efficient cards out there. It is equivalent to a gtx1070 in power and roughly the same as a gtx2060 for most games (most games dont take advantage of gtx2060s newer features)

Hope that helps

This helps, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys gfx dt help with fps.

I've tried this already and it only gives me 5 to 10 FPS but will do more testing with it.

I'd suggest waiting, saving up a little more money and buy something in a slightly pricier segment for increased performance and longevity. Incremental upgrades will cost you more in the long run.

It'll be weeks, if not months, before A18 will become stable (going on past experience). Even people with higher end cards are reporting problems, so there's little guarantee that upgrading your GPU is going to help you. For all we know it's CPUs causing these issues.

Archived