Brass a tad hard to get by.

x.Sharky.x

Or is it by design? I find radiators are quite hard to get even with salvage lvl 4. It's quite hard to make bullet casings now because of it.

You need to try hitting up the trader. I generally don't buy ammo from them, but I will buy casings and anything they have that is brass. Also look at the houses and sinks. There are light fixtures that are brass and there are sink faucets that are brass. File cabinets seem to be a decent source of it also.

Also, ammo prices are not bad once you get some levels of barter. I have been lucky enough this time to have plenty of ammo to use. I mostly use the crossbow now that I have max Run and Gun so there is no reload movement penalty. I also get a lot of ammo from safes. I am swimming in 9mm. Which is appropriate I guess since it takes so much of it to kill things.

Yes, brass is a highly sought after commodity.

In A18, you will be able to get brass from door knobs and sinks if you find the books that give you skill.

Brass knuckles will be added into the game, so I am assuming that you can find them like other brass things and melt them down.

There are a lot of brass faucets at sinks in cabins. Some of the outdoor lights on houses/cabins are brass.

Not sure if you know this or not, but I'll post anyway in case someone reads who doesn't...

Never scrap brass unless you absolutely need to. Instead, put it in your forge as is to get more brass out of it. It's a strain on your inventory when looting to find room for all those trophies, candlesticks, faucets, and door knobs, but it's worth it.

I think radiators do give the most brass, especially if you put them in the forge whole, so for this reason, they are not common.

Ultimately, you want to check the traders often. I usually buy all of the bullets and anything brass.

You could also use the steel casings instead, they hit for a bit less damage and cause 2x degradation but, its an option. A better option is to not be shooting everything that moves when you do not need to be. Like if your shooting at zombies during the day, or at single ferals, your wasting brass when you could be meleeing them or shooting them with a bow. Other option is to use a shotgun, find one of those paper mill POI's and you'll have thousands of paper out of it.

Actually it´s ok, this game shouldn´t have unlimited ammo tbh, it´s the apocalypse after all, things should be limited. Even on MP you can get a good amount of brass if you do that Tier5 quest in the house with 5 cars in the basement over and over again, don´t even need to finish the quest for that.

You could also use the steel casings instead, they hit for a bit less damage and cause 2x degradation but, its an option. A better option is to not be shooting everything that moves when you do not need to be. Like if your shooting at zombies during the day, or at single ferals, your wasting brass when you could be meleeing them or shooting them with a bow. Other option is to use a shotgun, find one of those paper mill POI's and you'll have thousands of paper out of it.

We virtually save all the brass for horde night. And at times we'll use the steel casings too. But mostly we either melee or range zeds during non-horde times. Learning not to scrap brass can be hard; but throwing a box here and there as you loot can help with that, albeit there can be a lot of running back and forth.

FWIW we've had a hard time finding a lot of brass, and even more-so lead.

For those that don't want that much of a challenge, you can change the recipes that require brass or lead. If that is too drastic, you can modify the recipes to still require brass and lead, but have the recipe give you 2 or 3 items per crafting, instead one one.

This is the beauty of having so many things in the xml files - you can tune it the way you want, anything from Hell Night every night to Walk In The Park. I'm not as young as I used to be, and I find as old age relentlessly approaches, I have less interest in hard challenges and sometimes I just want some bullets - now.

FWIW we've had a hard time finding a lot of brass, and even more-so lead.

For those that don't want that much of a challenge, you can change the recipes that require brass or lead. If that is too drastic, you can modify the recipes to still require brass and lead, but have the recipe give you 2 or 3 items per crafting, instead one one.

This is the beauty of having so many things in the xml files - you can tune it the way you want, anything from Hell Night every night to Walk In The Park. I'm not as young as I used to be, and I find as old age relentlessly approaches, I have less interest in hard challenges and sometimes I just want some bullets - now.

one night of mining lead veins will give you a life times worth..... just sayin'.

@zootal If you have trouble finding lead: Dig the gravel spots on the surface (the whole block) and see what you get. If there is lead in it, you will find lead underneath. Always. Works for coal, iron, nitrate in the same way. Never had any troubles finding lead. There is tons of it.

@zootal If you have trouble finding lead: Dig the gravel spots on the surface (the whole block) and see what you get. If there is lead in it, you will find lead underneath. Always. Works for coal, iron, nitrate in the same way. Never had any troubles finding lead. There is tons of it.

Another small addition. You don't necessarily find the resource deposits directly under this one gravel spot. I've seen players only dig straight down and if they don't find it they complain that the game is broken. The gravel shows only a general availability in this chunk.

You have to search the area around you at different depths instead of just digging straight down. It is best not to dig straight into the ground but diagonally and branch out at different depths to see what is around you.

crossbow, melee, or steel 9mm for looting/exploring. brass casings wont really help you anyways on things you cant oneshot with the right perks and steel casings. brass for horde nights or marksman rifle. trader for brass items/casings.

those POIs that have all the dumpsters in a fenced in area tend to have a decent amount of brass items to smelt. all those garbage bags. if you have parkour maxed out you can simply jump into those places, loot, then hop out without even killing anything. same with those half built under construction garages. easy 4 or 5 garbage bags without having to kill anything. some of the tier 2 and 3 houses have lots of garbage to loot too. stopping at all the random ones on the road get annoying.

5/5 wrench for some reason made me feel like i got a lot more engines/radiators than the differences between 1-4 did. then again cars tend to give bullets too so if you arent lucky you might as well just leave them alone.

Another small addition. You don't necessarily find the resource deposits directly under this one gravel spot. I've seen players only dig straight down and if they don't find it they complain that the game is broken. The gravel shows only a general availability in this chunk.

You have to search the area around you at different depths instead of just digging straight down. It is best not to dig straight into the ground but diagonally and branch out at different depths to see what is around you.

I have dug and dug and dug and never once found lead. I'll take a closer look for a gravel spot on the surface and try some excavating, maybe I'm just not doing it right?

I have dug and dug and dug and never once found lead. I'll take a closer look for a gravel spot on the surface and try some excavating, maybe I'm just not doing it right?

The gravel patches are just a clue. Another one are the boulders. If you have a cluster of boulders then you will also find gravel spots there and in the area below you should find resources. Which resources you can see at the gravel because it contains some of them. It worked well for me so far.

I've read that in A18 finding resources is revised. Instead of gravel, spots of resources should be visible on the surface.

Clusters of boulders used to indicate a clay patch, but they did away with that so I just ignore them. Hmm time to pay attention to boulder clusters, I thought they were just random...

I miss the mounds of resources on the surface. All the lead and coal you ever wanted was just a biome away.

I was very lucky then. Never had to search beneath always found it straight down. Noice. :D

I miss the mounds of resources on the surface. All the lead and coal you ever wanted was just a biome away.

These are to come back in a different form in A18. And they should serve as idicators for the resources below. At least that's what I heard.

Archived