Your own POI

Lanadon Conners

By now we have all done the current POIs and their quest variants a hundred times each so the magic is gone.

IF you could sit with the TFP devs and design your own POI for the game, what would it be?

For Example, Mine would be:

POI Tier 5 : SHIP

(Vault doors and hatches are perfect for Bulkheads and the metal walkways in the factories easily used inside ships)

POI Exclamation point on Dock by Gangplank.

Player must climb onto deck, then find a hatch to enter ship near the bow and work their way through the bowls of the ship to the stern and eventually make their way up to the Bridge where we find the usual "Green team".

Different types of ships could hold different types of loot and mobs. A hospital ship could have lots of medical supplies and med bays to salvage, a Navy ship could have lots of weapons and ammo, a Cruise ship could have lots of rooms with wall safes and a crap-ton of Zombies , Cargo ships could have lots of canned food or Working Stiff Supply crates.

Lets hear some of your ideas. Types? Places? Tiers? Rewards?

Check out the prefab editor and do it yourself? Its easier than you think.

Hopefully the pimps will start to include some of the user prefabs into vanilla in future.

Re: the ship - the ship itself, would work well but getting it sitting in water as a POI would be difficult.

You might be better to think about one of those washed up ships instead that are beached on dryland, it would be far more straightforward.

Personally I think there should be more skyscraper type towers in the game for cities - so that's what I'm working on now.

I'd like to see an airport. It could have different buildings that belong together but each would be a quest building in its own right. So you could place different quest tiers in one area. The terminal for example could be a tier 5 POI and the tower a tier 3.

Hopefully the pimps will start to include some of the user prefabs into vanilla in future.

+1

IMHO, the current prefabs are missing only one thing - numbers. Ideally there would be a thousand small prefabs to give the world variety. They don't have to be massive complex towers but rather the simple POI's that are everywhere. There should be enough that a single playthrough will not show you all of them. Of course, this would take an inordinate amount of dev time so user created POI's are the way to go - just have a quick QA run through and some basic rules (like limits on the amount of lootable containers/type)

Ah, pipe dreams lol.

You heard it here first, folks - boats confirmed in Alpha 18! ;)

Gazz referred to the op - ship (not boat)

wake up and smell the coffee :) (im ok, i had my 10 cups this morning).

i would like to see different ship designs and subs as POIs tho. :) affraid they wont hold water when the haul is breached probably.

I would mix and match, a lot.

I would break buildings down modularly, room by room. How many different ways could this kitchen be remodeled? How many different configurations of furnace+ductwork work in this attic? How many different ways could you access this hallway? And yes, while gameplay is the prime concern, how many different painting & trim choices will look good and make this instance feel different?

Then cobble all these different combinations back into full buildings, by either making bigger prefabs out of smaller prefabs, or some more robust new system.

Right now, we effectively have this on an individual block-by-block basis. That and the placement of sleepers keep every playthrough from being the same. But I feel procedural generation has great potential in this and other parts of the game (including caves, and individual zombie variation).

Gazz referred to the op - ship (not boat)

wake up and smell the coffee :) (im ok, i had my 10 cups this morning).

i would like to see different ship designs and subs as POIs tho. :) affraid they wont hold water when the haul is breached probably.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about how "Wonky" the water flows in game and could just swim down to a Sub (or listing ship), open the escape hatch, close it behind us, pump the water out and explore the POI. Our only worry would be taking a sledge hammer to a bulkhead holding back a flooded section and our encomberance limiting our abilities to swim to the surface once finished.

I'd LOVE to see a Steam Workshop with players uploading POI's they make and being able to download and add them to the games list.

I have already seen some great POI's made by players such as that great one - the Prison from the Waling Dead. ;)

I'd LOVE to see a Steam Workshop with players uploading POI's they make and being able to download and add them to the games list.

I have already seen some great POI's made by players such as that great one - the Prison from the Waling Dead. ;)

It would definitely be nice if a later iteration of the game easily lets you add POI's to RWG without the hassle of editing XML files yourself to add POI's to the game.

An abandoned carnival/circus... which actually becomes a set of POIs. A giant circus tent, haunted house, maze, concession and game stands, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I haven't thought of yet because it probably isn't worth the effort. Put a beard on Big Mamma and stick her in a cage. But seriously, this opens up the potential for a few new zombie types that would work with a world with these POIs. Clowns, obviously, a ringmaster, trapeze artists, showgirls, and a whole bunch of others that I haven't thought of yet because it probably isn't worth the effort.

An idea (again, not worth the effort, but since this is a post of dreams)... it would be cool if in the future, after gold, TFP puts out monthly generated maps that showcases a select few user-created POIs. The standard POIs would still be there for a cohesive game, but in the map are 5 POIs from the community. Perhaps to extend the community idea, add special missions or quests that need to be completed in that month's map.

An idea (again, not worth the effort, but since this is a post of dreams)... it would be cool if in the future, after gold, TFP puts out monthly generated maps that showcases a select few user-created POIs. The standard POIs would still be there for a cohesive game, but in the map are 5 POIs from the community. Perhaps to extend the community idea, add special missions or quests that need to be completed in that month's map.

"Dreaming" or just "putting it out there" for the Devs or the Modding community to think about in the future is one of the main reasons I made a thread like this one. A dev or a Modder reads the thread and thinks.. "That give me an idea".. and VOILA..

and.. if absolutely nothing comes from the thread ever... well we play video games for enjoyment and to kill some time, why not waste 10 minutes posting "what ifs" in a forum? :smile-new:

i would like to see an aircraft carrier with all the bells and whistles including inside it :)

For something as huge as an Aircraft Carrier, I can see them adding Tier 6 POIs, with a "Major Boss" encounter once the player makes their way up into the "Island" past the "Green team"..

.. And the reward?.. How about a Barrett .50 Cal M107 Sniper rifle in a weapons case directly behind the boss? THAT"S a weapon reward I would take hours of wandering and fighting through a major POI to gain.

"Dreaming" or just "putting it out there" for the Devs or the Modding community to think about in the future is one of the main reasons I made a thread like this one. A dev or a Modder reads the thread and thinks.. "That give me an idea".. and VOILA..

and.. if absolutely nothing comes from the thread ever... well we play video games for enjoyment and to kill some time, why not waste 10 minutes posting "what ifs" in a forum? :smile-new:

Modders, sure. Devs... not likely. They've made that pretty clear recently.

Archived