Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

A trip down Tone Mapping Lane.. https://joelhuenink.tumblr.com/post/135826205823/tone-mapping-a-user-on-steam-posted-a-very-nice

It wasn't around very long, but looked quite dashing! :eyebrows:

yeah but many things have and will change in time... here is real memory lane.

https://imgur.com/a/QdvVgjA

also... that is same location in both alphas... last intersection in diersville looking toward hill.

...going to love watching the overreaction from the haters on this post...

Re lead deposits: they're cubes. Borg ships. Lead may look like that material (it does) but definitely not that shape. Just saying, it's pretty weird. Dollar says y'all change it. :)

I'm stupid as well, we all are. If anyone says they never needed a wiki or never looked some how to up on a game before they are a liar or haven't played very many games.

If you look it up and see the various shapes it is certainly possible. Heck go visit the Ross Perot museum in Dallas and have a look at all the minerals there you would be surprised what God has created.

Since you're up:

Do spears have a chance of breaking like arrows?

Are there any new hooks in the quest XML?

Have y'all considered modifying the retrieval rate for spears, appears it is too quick? They were grabbing them sometimes even before the spears actually hit the zombies, and the hit registered...

No because you mod them and they are expensive craft, arrows are expendable. You probably saw lag over a MP game or twitch. You can't retrieve a spear until its stuck in the zombie.

I haven't given any feedback on it yet, I have not played the perception build yet. Don't know your other question.

no i wont but you sure will try.. :) my point is the graphics difference and not ui, as i said... things changed and will change.

Naw I'm anti mini map. Same with 3rd person. It's why I want lean in, because I like the first person immersion but I also want the benefits.

When vr is fully supported (i.e. when y'all make a vr ui) then things like a minimap and 3rd person will just be weird.

#fps4life

Naw I'm anti mini map. Same with 3rd person. It's why I want lean in, because I like the first person immersion but I also want the benefits.

When vr is fully supported (i.e. when y'all make a vr ui) then things like a minimap and 3rd person will just be weird.

#fps4life

Same, people usually play 3rd person for cheesing corners. It's a pathetic thing to do.

Dude drop it. Books already rain you in super powers they don't need to give you a ton of XP on top of it.

Okay last try then I "drop" it.

Lets say you were on a bookhunt and you are only missing 3-4 books.

Now the chance to get those books is what 15%?

So the books are already rare right? So when you loot a building chances of you finding a book is what? 70% if its not a crackabook?

You do all that and find a book... but its not the right one... and you do that another and another one... it is frustrating.

I do NOT want you to get the xp when you read it first time.

I just don't want them to be useless the 2nd 3rd... time. Especially since they are so f***ing cheap so selling isn't worth it.

I do not want to be "showered with reward". I never was that kind of player.

What I am interested in is keeping the players interest. You are already frustrated enough if you don't find that special book.

So giving a small compensation (I mean seriously 2500 xp is nothing when you come near endgame (and earlier finding these books is super rare)) is just reducing this frustration.

Either you reduce the xp from zombies and all other activities or 50 xp is laughable.

It is the drop in quality of the 1st and 2nd find that I am confused about/interested in changing.

But if you aren't... sure... I've never said anything in the past that retroactively changed... so I am obviously wrong again... *cough*

First hands on new death penalty:

Last night was day 41 pretty early. I took a T5 from the trader and jumped on my minibike and ended up at shotgun messiah factory. I'd never done it before so I didn't know how long it would take. I only had about 3-4 pain killers and no medicated bandages. I have 4 ranks in healing factor so I regenerate very fast. I thought I can probably handle this, the only thing I was concerned with was ammo so I went through it my heavy armored level 45 ish green iron armored fort build. I had roughly 300 726 and my awesome AK that does 70 damage.

So the whole day goes by, and I'm punching my way through this beast of a POI. By sundown I'm out of pain killers and thought well how much further can it be? I'm close to one of the first roofs or whatever. So I kept going. I made it to morning and thought, damn its horde night. But I can't give up now. I only had 70 bullets left. I trudged on and rested to heal since I was clean out of meds. I was infected too, but not suffering sides yet.

So I make it to what appears to be the final tower and I have no ammo left where there are sleeping radiated and ferals everwhere on this roof. I'm standing on the ladder. I thought maybe I can cheese them from this ladder and punch their knees/heads out one by one. I start fighting and was doing ok for about 20 seconds until somehow they got respositioned to where it wasn't 1v1 any more, it was 3-4 vs 1. I jump down the short ladder and I'm running and punching but no stamina and 30-40 health remaining. I thought maybe I can survive this fall and get out of here. I fall and die.

Then it hits me, my XP bar was red. I got to thinking, wow I wasted 300 bullets and have less XP than when I started. I definitely ♥♥♥♥ed up. It hit me, all I had to do was go 50 yards to my base when I took the quest and grabbed a couple more ammo bundles. I thought oh I'll be ok. It sucked, but at the same time, it instantly tough me a tough lesson of respect for the game. I won't be making any more hasty decisions, and I love the new penalty for this reason. I have a new respect for death in this game I've never had before.

As far as the look of the minerals, I like em, gamey or not. I'm playing a game, so I'm fine with them. I like they really look unique and easy to tell the difference between.

As far as the stream, I'm less interested in watching a team completely spoil a new poi, and more interested in the back end, where they just show the new additions, the demolisher, burning fuses, and the landscape. We've heard a lot about the new rwg engine, but have only seen a handful of stills and seen it in the background in videos like last night.

It WAS good to see how the spear works, but going through a large poi was probably not a great playthrough choice. I'd rather have seen each player go in a different direction towards a city, so we could see the diversity, and what they encounter.

As far as color choices, 5 years ago everything was just grays and browns. SO many games did that there was a player backlash wanted more color diversity again, and that brought us great things like Horizon Zero Dawn's color palette.

Post apocalyptic doesn't have to look unpleasant.

...going to love watching the overreaction from the haters on this post...

Re lead deposits: they're cubes. Borg ships. Lead may look like that material (it does) but definitely not that shape. Just saying, it's pretty weird. Dollar says y'all change it. :)

Galena lead ore does look like the model theyre using. Trust me on my rocks :)

I'm stupid as well, we all are. If anyone says they never needed a wiki or never looked some how to up on a game before they are a liar or haven't played very many games.

If you look it up and see the various shapes it is certainly possible. Heck go visit the Ross Perot museum in Dallas and have a look at all the minerals there you would be surprised what God has created.

I have some issues with your last sentence, mate ^-^

Glove types, suggestion list:

- Farmer's gloves(?) (loosely suggested by madmole)

- Biker's Gloves/Driving Gloves(?)

- Heavy Duty Winter Gloves(?)

- Heat Resistant Gloves(?) (reduced chance to set yourself on fire? ;))

I would have edited by most a couple pages ago, but as by habit, I've already done that half a dozen times. Haha

Keep in mind, this is just a suggestion post made by someone who has nothing better to do with their time at the time. :p If this post is entirely ignored, no hard feelings. Haha

- - - Updated - - -

*my post (grammar correction)

I wonder, will a18 fix zombies being able to hear sounds like there are no blocks there? As I am personally tired of hitting a safe, and zombies 30 blocks outside of the poi somehow hear this and all start coming in. Its even more annoying when it does this and your many floors up.

Last night was day 41 pretty early. I took a T5 from the trader and jumped on my minibike and ended up at shotgun messiah factory. I'd never done it before so I didn't know how long it would take. I only had about 3-4 pain killers and no medicated bandages. I have 4 ranks in healing factor so I regenerate very fast. I thought I can probably handle this, the only thing I was concerned with was ammo so I went through it my heavy armored level 45 ish green iron armored fort build. I had roughly 300 726 and my awesome AK that does 70 damage.

So the whole day goes by, and I'm punching my way through this beast of a POI. By sundown I'm out of pain killers and thought well how much further can it be? I'm close to one of the first roofs or whatever. So I kept going. I made it to morning and thought, damn its horde night. But I can't give up now. I only had 70 bullets left. I trudged on and rested to heal since I was clean out of meds. I was infected too, but not suffering sides yet.

So I make it to what appears to be the final tower and I have no ammo left where there are sleeping radiated and ferals everwhere on this roof. I'm standing on the ladder. I thought maybe I can cheese them from this ladder and punch their knees/heads out one by one. I start fighting and was doing ok for about 20 seconds until somehow they got respositioned to where it wasn't 1v1 any more, it was 3-4 vs 1. I jump down the short ladder and I'm running and punching but no stamina and 30-40 health remaining. I thought maybe I can survive this fall and get out of here. I fall and die.

Then it hits me, my XP bar was red. I got to thinking, wow I wasted 300 bullets and have less XP than when I started. I definitely ♥♥♥♥ed up. It hit me, all I had to do was go 50 yards to my base when I took the quest and grabbed a couple more ammo bundles. I thought oh I'll be ok. It sucked, but at the same time, it instantly tough me a tough lesson of respect for the game. I won't be making any more hasty decisions, and I love the new penalty for this reason. I have a new respect for death in this game I've never had before.

mmmHhmmm, and you said you probably wouldn't change how you play ;) Well having the death penalty changed your outlook at the minimum. Bet you are a little more cautious, and will be more prepared when doing your next t5 quest.

Okay last try then I "drop" it.

Lets say you were on a bookhunt and you are only missing 3-4 books.

Now the chance to get those books is what 15%?

So the books are already rare right? So when you loot a building chances of you finding a book is what? 70% if its not a crackabook?

You do all that and find a book... but its not the right one... and you do that another and another one... it is frustrating.

I do NOT want you to get the xp when you read it first time.

I just don't want them to be useless the 2nd 3rd... time. Especially since they are so f***ing cheap so selling isn't worth it.

I do not want to be "showered with reward". I never was that kind of player.

What I am interested in is keeping the players interest. You are already frustrated enough if you don't find that special book.

So giving a small compensation (I mean seriously 2500 xp is nothing when you come near endgame (and earlier finding these books is super rare)) is just reducing this frustration.

Either you reduce the xp from zombies and all other activities or 50 xp is laughable.

It is the drop in quality of the 1st and 2nd find that I am confused about/interested in changing.

But if you aren't... sure... I've never said anything in the past that retroactively changed... so I am obviously wrong again... *cough*

Books aren't needed, so there is zero frustration unless you have OCD about completing things. I wouldn't expect to complete any book sets unless you spend 500 hours or have all the traders located. To me the books are just a bonus, not a requirement so they are never a source of frustration. 50 XP for one click is more than you get for a lot of things. We could up it to 500 and it wouldn't break anything. 5k is too much for what it is though.

As far as the look of the minerals, I like em, gamey or not. I'm playing a game, so I'm fine with them. I like they really look unique and easy to tell the difference between.

As far as the stream, I'm less interested in watching a team completely spoil a new poi, and more interested in the back end, where they just show the new additions, the demolisher, burning fuses, and the landscape. We've heard a lot about the new rwg engine, but have only seen a handful of stills and seen it in the background in videos like last night.

It WAS good to see how the spear works, but going through a large poi was probably not a great playthrough choice. I'd rather have seen each player go in a different direction towards a city, so we could see the diversity, and what they encounter.

As far as color choices, 5 years ago everything was just grays and browns. SO many games did that there was a player backlash wanted more color diversity again, and that brought us great things like Horizon Zero Dawn's color palette.

Post apocalyptic doesn't have to look unpleasant.

I tried to tell them that it would have been better if they all went separate ways in different biomes but maybe they thought the social dynamics are better teamed up.

Galena lead ore does look like the model theyre using. Trust me on my rocks :)

Exactly. I did my research over multiple alphas on this. People complain and they are just uneducated. We don't just slap random things in, I put a lot of work into researching things before we add them to the game and try to ground everything in reality as much as possible, and only break those rules when it doesn't serve the gameplay god, which is always king.

It's cool to see you're hooked by your game once again. In my eyes it means you really put your heart and soul in A18.

I wonder, will a18 fix zombies being able to hear sounds like there are no blocks there? As I am personally tired of hitting a safe, and zombies 30 blocks outside of the poi somehow hear this and all start coming in. Its even more annoying when it does this and your many floors up.

Go pickaxe your neighbors car outside for a bit. I'm pretty sure a lot of bipeds will come to investigate. That said you can pick the lock now and be nice and quiet about it. You might try crouching too, it reduces noise.

Archived