Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think if you kill demos with AP ammo fast enough their charge doesn't trigger, I used to have them blow up on me but I had prob 5 or 7 per night on this run and none blew up - I shot their charge and it turned red with no blow ups. Not sure what exactly triggers it.

If they are dead, their charge will not detonate. You probably killed them, before the armed change detonated.

I need help I was playing last night after we got the server set up. No issues at medium setting nor high solid 60 FPS. My video card is a GTX 1070 FTW2 last night Windows did a update and no matter the settings Im getting 29.91-30.05 FPS. Anyone have a clues as to what changed that would cause this.

I really don't understand why sprint on toggle (like borderlands 1 for example had, a decade ago) hasn't been addressed after so many years. It's just a comfort/convenience thing with no impact on gameplay or balance, sprinting would still use stamina/more fuel.

Tap shift to start/stop sprinting or maybe double tap 'W' to sprint.

We spend so much time travelling in this game it's insane to require 2 buttons to be held while doing it. Maybe throw in a function key for auto run while we're at it.

Just simplify it. The ai beeing predictable is their greatest weakness since that means we can find their pathing magic, and construct something to work around it. Less fancy calculations could also mean reduced amount of cpu cycles used, improving performance.

Atop of that, i think most players will be happier if the zombies just act like brainless creatures that just try to bash their way into their bases, instead of reading and watching endless videos describing the fine tricks needed for a successful base. The reason i think that, is that just about every youtuber and streamer that build their bases stick with the "box surrounded by spikes", both pros and beginners alike.

Besides, a tower base with iron bars for shooting down is still one of the best allround base designs, and will continue to be so no matter how fancy the AI becomes.

No. Simple is very predictable and boring.

As the AI improves it has become less predictable and it will continue in that direction. The AI is far from being done and I have plenty of ideas to make them better.

I need help I was playing last night after we got the server set up. No issues at medium setting nor high solid 60 FPS. My video card is a GTX 1070 FTW2 last night Windows did a update and no matter the settings Im getting 29.91-30.05 FPS. Anyone have a clues as to what changed that would cause this.

Sounds like your vsync is set to half. Check your driver settings. I know nVidia has a Adaptive (half refresh rate) option in theirs.

I suppose spawning a Screamer will then reset the heat or?

Maybe picking up the torch could reset the timer ... that would be funny.

No, that's the problem. You can remove all heat sources and the heat remains at whatever it was at.

Been reporting this through 3 builds. Responded to madmoles requests for testing. Several people have been reporting screamer problems for a while now.

SEE THIS: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131448-A18-1-b2-EXP-bug-reporting-thread&p=1048731#post1048731

If they are dead, their charge will not detonate. You probably killed them, before the armed change detonated.

Thank you! Now I don't have to experiment to figure that out. Yeah I killed them before I shot their charges and they turned red. I prioritize them and have my AK loaded with AP rounds that I swap to when I see one.

Set the torches to 5 and they will still make heat, but at 20% of the rate.

I did this:

<property name="HeatMapStrength" value="0.5"/>

<property name="HeatMapTime" value="600"/>

<property name="HeatMapFrequency" value="60"/>

To match the candles.... which is really low... until heat dissipation is fixed.

No, that's the problem. You can remove all heat sources and the heat remains at whatever it was at.

Been reporting this through 3 builds. Responded to madmoles requests for testing. Several people have been reporting screamer problems for a while now.

SEE THIS: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131448-A18-1-b2-EXP-bug-reporting-thread&p=1048731#post1048731

Looks like a state value of the voxel itself. It will then stay the same, even if the torch is removed. The torch adding to that heatvalue when its at this position.

That is awesome. I got outer worlds and it feels exactly like a Fallout game, and I'm sure I'll end up sinking loads of time into it, but tbh I play a bit, start thinking about my base needing this or that, and next thing you know I'm back into 7 days lol.

I've been hearing about Outer worlds, seems interesting. May need to check it out after I build my new rig. I think for my next build I'm going to incorporate that base with yours, I like the look of it and can see some ideas. It's about time I build something pretty lol.

Looks like a state value of the voxel itself. It will then stay the same, even if the torch is removed. The torch adding to that heatvalue when its at this position.

Possibly. I've only tried checking dissipation with torches and candles. Haven't tried the stations because I expect the same result. No dissipation.

Possibly. I've only tried checking dissipation with candles. Haven't tried the stations because I expect the same result. No dissipation.

Actually I can confirm that too. I was just messing around and watched the heat chunk going. I got rid of my jack o lanterns and turned everything off (no light sources or anything), and the heat values didn't dissipate one bit (nor from forges/chem/workbench), stayed at 60. Tbf I don't exactly care about it, but if it's supposed to dissipate, it does not.

Possibly. I've only tried checking dissipation with torches and candles. Haven't tried the stations because I expect the same result. No dissipation.

Given that they use the frequency in two different ways, I suppose different code. (probably systems added later).

Try it out with a forge too, if that then dissipates over time when the forge is not running.

Actually I can confirm that too. I was just messing around and watched the heat chunk going. I got rid of my jack o lanterns and turned everything off (no light sources or anything), and the heat values didn't dissipate one bit (nor from forges/chem/workbench), stayed at 60. Tbf I don't exactly care about it, but if it's supposed to dissipate, it does not.

Thank you! People making me think I'm going insane. I don't really care if it does or doesn't either... but if it doesn't those torches need to be toned down a ton... or it means a single torch by itself brings a screamer once every hour and 40 minutes.

I did this:

<property name="HeatMapStrength" value="0.5"/>

<property name="HeatMapTime" value="600"/>

<property name="HeatMapFrequency" value="60"/>

To match the candles.... which is really low... until heat dissipation is fixed.

A HeatMapFrequency of 60 will never be reached. That value cannot be greater than 25. They will make no heat.

That system needs an overhaul, since it is old and the programmer who wrote most of it left the company almost 2 years ago.

A HeatMapFrequency of 60 will never be reached. That value cannot be greater than 25. They will make no heat.

That system needs an overhaul, since it is old and the main programmer who wrote it left the company almost 2 years ago.

I understand what you are saying faatal, and I appreciate the details very very much. But it fixes the issue enough for me at this time.

It's the same as the candles... and the candles are generating heat (or not) just fine.

i named my bat "big smoke" :D

Ohh my dawg! Ha-ha haha!

Thank you! People making me think I'm going insane. I don't really care if it does or doesn't either... but if it doesn't those torches need to be toned down a ton... or it means a single torch by itself brings a screamer once every hour and 40 minutes.

Honestly I don't get many screamers, even at GS 200+ with 2 forges, 2 workbenches and 2 chem stations going. But yeah it's def not dissipating. Once I turn on all 4 mixers and above stuff I do get them. But they aren't near as annoying as previous alphas so I dont mind/ Plus they wander onto my spikes and die fast lol.

make that 10 mins. i just killed 2 screamer's and all the zombies "just keep coming and never stop coming"

Ohh my dawg! Ha-ha haha!

Honestly I don't get many screamers, even at GS 200+ with 2 forges, 2 workbenches and 2 chem stations going. But yeah it's def not dissipating. Once I turn on all 4 mixers and above stuff I do get them. But they aren't near as annoying as previous alphas so I dont mind/ Plus they wander onto my spikes and die fast lol.

That's because those stations only give 1 to 3% heat every in game hour or so.

Compare that to a torch giving 1% every real time minute.

Archived