madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Can we please fix the Ground Texture

It's toooooooo good,

I keep turning my head left or right to pick up a Damn Rock...

It's tooooooo good...

Please Nerf It...

This is a joke of course...

Good Job Artist's

I love the way the world looks. All the mountains are awesome. The ore chunks look kind of odd except coal and iron.

Does anybody else feel that the "Upset-Stomache-System" from food is a little too much - especially at the beginning when you don't have access to medicine.

I really feel tricked when freshly cooked water or eggs have this high likelyhood of giving you and upset stomache. Instead of 7% (4%) it should be more 0.7%...

Its rng. I'm on day 20 (60 min days) and only got food poisoning once and diarrhea only once. I almost have exclusively used boiled water. Vitamins are also great for when u need to drink and eat a ton of bad food in one sitting.

I thought I would share this seed again, Oh Death

Doc Watson tune, 1 of my fav's...

There is a Trader with a working Forge with a Coal supply right next to it & iron & lead plus water close by.

There is Desert, snow & burnt forest in range plus the local towns are pretty big, 1 with a Sham Factory.

The other town has a P&P Hosp, Sham Factory with Potas & iron minable right out front.

There is also a SM factory, awesome seed...

Sm factory? Sounds kinky. 😅

Why the girocopter is not taking off/landing vertically?

Google gyrocopter and you might be surprised. The main rotor isn't even attached to the motor, it acts simular to an aircraft wing most of the time and as a parachute if you turn off the motor that drives the forward looking propeller

Heartbreaking end to my Insane 25% loot Permadeath run just now.

It wasn't the bear ambush in a dead end basement, it wasn't the roaming hordes, it wasn't falling off a building and breaking my leg with every POI zombie aggro'd on me, it wasn't the feral bikers in the night...

It was me walking too close to an army camp in the dark and stepping on a damn landmine :hurt:

Same. I just can't get into them anymore, R6:Seige being the only exception in years, mainly because it's tactical far more than an adrenaline fest, and there is no jumping at all, god I hate that it FPS games, everybody is a damn cracked up rabbit. Just watched my son play the new COD, graphics are nice, etc, but it still has that same high paced, everybody moving stupid fast and constantly jumping, feel to it. I am done with that noise too.

7DTD is far more my pace these days, plus I love building, static map games have lost their appeal for the most part, just not impressive compared to a voxel world. Plus the graphic overhauls you've been making the past few alphas are bringing 7DTD close to the level of detail of other modern games. Keep it up!

Thanks, yeah I could clear a 30 frag limit quake server in under 30 seconds at times. Many fond memories of CTF too, but I like to feel like I'm accomplishing something a little more meaningful and like the slow character growth. I tried outer worlds, and its fine, (new games always take about 6+ hours before I really get into them) but finished my evening playing 7 Days. For some reason getting that 2nd row of reinforced concrete in my basement seemed like it was more exciting lol.

I can't seem to get interested in any other game now. I bet it's been probably close to 2 years since I played anything other than 7Days. I have a handful of unplayed games that I've bought plus some games that I really want to buy but know if I get them now, I won't play. Not sure how long the addiction will last but I've been here since A6 and not even close to being tired of the game. I've played this game every night except during illness or out of town for several years. I've put many hours in other games but this one takes the cake. Thanks again for the addiction.

That is awesome. 18 takes the cake for me, all the loot and zombies being a true challenge on horde night are my two must haves, as well as a proper class based perk system adds replayability for me.

Tetrameth

I know this is 20/20 hindsight but. This is what I

learned to do. First because every alpha injects a

wicked little easter egg. I prepare for worst case

scenario game wise.

Daily, and or before I go to a trader,

I zip my save and world folder. Using winrar and best

alg it is pretty small. Next I take note of the distance

and direction my poi is from the trader.

Example: If the trader is 1.5km southwest of me. I will

not take a clear and or a fetch from them that is 1.5

km north east of them. You are rolling the dice. I will

take every other job.

Second this is a personal pref and this is only because

i'm playing SP, I don't have loot respawn, or airdrops ever.

There are more than enough cities and pois on my map to

suffice per playthrough.

The above is a good preventive maintenance, for corrupt

ttw or region files, power loss during gameplay, region

reset, poi reset, and some of the "bugs" for disappearing

loot. If i don't have one of those, I play till time to

start over and delete, rinse and repeat.

Very nice~

The base is definitely 12 x 12. I used some clever construction techniques to get all the crafting stations to fit. The crafting stations go right up to where you'd think to place a wall. The actual wall is the ramp blocks overhanging the pit, part of the pillboxes. Another thing I did to make for more room is make the wall opposite all the crafting stations out of iron sheets. That's why the base looks more roomy than one might expect it to.

Heh, Special K. I like it.

For those that missed the original post, here's two of the screenshots from it.

1uRYwpk.jpg

WVHS10G.jpg

I tried the pillboxes but they were too limiting defending the base witout a nice solid basement, so I put railings all around below the bridges and shoot zeds from there. I can still do the traps later. I might add 2nd story pillboxes but I don't know if they are needed really.

Yeah its tricky how you did it, I'm fine it all fits in there, I just put my cement mixer next to the work station near the door. I like the little stair case to the roof and the walkway inside there, good stuff.

Hey @MM with the slowing down of progression some, albeit a few players may be upset at how long it takes to unlock skills. I was wondering if a slider for "skill points per lvl up" in the main settings ever could be a thing that you would consider putting it in? so like every time you get 2 skill points per lvl or whatever the slider would allow.

Anyone who gets upset doesn't understand the game yet. Nobody has complained about the speed of progression so far. There is an xp slider they can turn up, no way are we handing out more than 1 point per level that would be OP. You don't need lots of perk points now since we removed level gates and added ways to do things to feel powerful.

So anyone else now only finding level one stuff?

Welcome to stable. I found a pink brass knuckles last night on day 24 or 5. Sorry but we're not raining purple candy, it plays nice. Craft that stuff into something better or keep looting you'll get better stuff as the game progresses.

This is normal for some time. RNGesus giveth and taketh away.

In the perception tree, Lucky Looter, will give you a bit of a boost to your loot level to help with loot itself.

1-2 items will be fairly normal for the first few days, in my experience. If you're wanting to get to level 3-4 early, you can hope for stroke of luck, but eh, the grind is what makes it for me.

Embrace the grind and you will appreciate the non brown when it comes.

Thanks, yeah I could clear a 30 frag limit quake server in under 30 seconds at times. Many fond memories of CTF too, but I like to feel like I'm accomplishing something a little more meaningful and like the slow character growth. I tried outer worlds, and its fine, (new games always take about 6+ hours before I really get into them) but finished my evening playing 7 Days. For some reason getting that 2nd row of reinforced concrete in my basement seemed like it was more exciting lol.

Speaking for myself here but I think voxel games tap into my inner child block building imagination so it will likely never lose appeal from a creativity standpoint.

Edit: blocks plus zombies? Winning combination in my book lol...

EDIT: I meant to quote someone but whatever.

I also happened to take inspiration from some of the photos posted, it has never occurred to me that I could make a space for the 4x4 inside. Usually I just park it outside, out of the way of potential zombies, and hope for the best. I actually had an even bigger design in mind, but I realized it was going to be too time consuming. Originally, it was supposed to have an L-shaped tunnel. The inside corner would've been its own room (eventually a tower) and would make a nice cube. If you ever played Halo 3, there is a map called Rat's Nest, in the end it was supposed to be reminiscent of that.

I settled on a "garage" type of look, which I think came out rather decent. I still need to decorate the interior and roof areas some more, but the outside perimeter will probably stay mostly the same flat cube. I usually don't like flat, but its hard to work on the walls when your ten blocks in the air with spikes directly below you lol. Also, no lighting because I haven't found the schematics for them yet.

Will try to upload some screenshots, just gotta take them first.

Cool to see people posting their bases.

EDIT: I meant to quote someone but whatever.

I also happened to take inspiration from some of the photos posted, it has never occurred to me that I could make a space for the 4x4 inside. Usually I just park it outside, out of the way of potential zombies, and hope for the best. I actually had an even bigger design in mind, but I realized it was going to be too time consuming. Originally, it was supposed to have an L-shaped tunnel. The inside corner would've been its own room (eventually a tower) and would make a nice cube. If you ever played Halo 3, there is a map called Rat's Nest, in the end it was supposed to be reminiscent of that.

I settled on a "garage" type of look, which I think came out rather decent. I still need to decorate the interior and roof areas some more, but the outside perimeter will probably stay mostly the same flat cube. I usually don't like flat, but its hard to work on the walls when your ten blocks in the air with spikes directly below you lol. Also, no lighting because I haven't found the schematics for them yet.

Will try to upload some screenshots, just gotta take them first.

Very nice. I like the red brick interior. Reminds me a little of the Railroad HQ from FO4.

Madmole I have to say that this is the best alpha by far. I've been a fan of zombies for as long as I can remember which is a long time and you do the zombie genre a great justice. I am so pumped to see what you guys have planned. Any chance of selling something autographed? Maybe a t-shirt, an art print, or anything really? I like collecting autographs of things I enjoy and would love to add yours to the collection!

Glad you like it! Maybe, We'll see what the merchandising team can do.

Yeah, that's sad. They keep messing up with Fallout 76. They just released that subscription, which costs $100 a year and includes some long-requested gameplay features which could have been released as free updates as they promised to only monetize cosmetic content. And, half of the subscription features are broken, and private servers aren't really private (they're not hosted on your hardware, instead a server gets hosted by Bethesda, which might have already been played and looted/etc., friends can just join your private server and you have no way to stop them)

Wow, talk about disconnected from the community. They need to just close down all the failing studios they bought instead of create money grabs that lower the value of their best franchises.

Completely new here, go easy on me if i'm wrong, but have you linked your Steam account? You don't get full privileges (like seeing attachments I believe) unless you do.

On another note, am I the only one who feels like we should just do away with paint? I feel like it would be a nice QOL change for the brush. I didn't realize what an inconvenience it was until now since I just used it for the first time a couple days ago. I had around 300ish buckets from scraping dyes, which I thought would be enough to cover my base. Turns out I would paint a texture, decide I didn't like it, and repeat a dozen times until I got something that look decent enough. Before I knew it I was out of paint, and had a half textured base without the resources to craft more. Bothered me so much I just spawned me in a full stack of paint.

Might entirely be my fault, maybe i'm just too picky, or maybe I should build smaller bases...

You can craft 1000's of paint for next to nothing.

Archived