Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Whereas I have yet to find a single schematic for the cement mixer as of day 24 despite a dogged search of every poi for a mixer.

First mixer I looted after the patch had the recipe. Still miss a workstation though and need to travel to a POI to use one. Isn't it funny how doggedly we try to avoid putting any points into INT recipe perks? :cocksure:

I wish we had softer and moodier lighting options such as the pumpkin, other lights such as the lantern are too harsh and end up making surrounding blocks look blindingly bright.

20191027070806_1.thumb.jpg.503558a609d75b309a42275630a46e07.jpg

The gateway I made into my base. Inspired by the gate in Jurassic Park. Unfortunately, the barrels don't light up the surrounding blocks so will probably remove them. I'm also getting a screamer every 5 minutes now so yeah...

20191027080124_1.thumb.jpg.26fbe591f3d7a02f4da227d763d01b0b.jpg

Surrounded the entire side of the building with a walkway. Gives a chance to shoot incoming zombies as well as giving more shape to the flat outer walls.

20191027080150_1.thumb.jpg.98379414bfca5c9e8f7ffbe40eb99461.jpg

Last I spawned in some lights just to see how it would look inside. I did a few different lighting placements, and this one looked the best imo. I like that these specific industrial lights have a tint of yellow to their glow, as the others were just too white and washed out the color. I also needed a softer light to light up the back corners as they were too dark, so I used some pumpkins and a burning barrel.

20191027080914_1.thumb.jpg.74d8e9bfb5c698cf599dc6e832720dac.jpg

Sorry to interrupt heatmapsgate and socialskillgate, but...

@MadMole:

I mentioned this in the feedback thread, but I know more guys read and comment about this here.

To stop the gun loot over abundance and go back to encouraging crafting them, reverse the complete weapon drop probability and the weapon parts drop probability. Finding a complete gun will be a special treat, and people will NEED to craft weapons.

(I haven't been able to craft one better than loot in over 160 a18 game days over the course of 3 games now.)

To fix steel tool crafting (I haven't been able to make one in 3 games and 160+ hours now) I'd drop the schematic requirement, and either drop the parts completely or increase their drop probability.

Lastly, the traders seem to have a set price on weapon reselling. Can that have a more complex formula system instead taking into account weapon tier and the stats? Crafting later game higher tier weapons should make you more dukes when you sell them, and low level stuff should be less profitable.

What do you guys think of these balance ideas? the steel tools would still be gated by steel production and progression, and the guns crafting would kind of be a hybrid of the new random stat crafting and the old a15 gun crafting.

Less complete gun drops like Borderlands, and more weapon crafting like Skyrim.

@fataal I think I found a bug. I'm playing at 75% loot and when open a bag dropped by zed and in this moment bag dissappear (before inventory shows) there is 100% chance to no loot. Last time I searched 4 bags after bloodmoon and every bag dissappear in moment of search and there was no loot. I saw this bug many times and always there was no loot. When the bag is laying on ground after open, there is loot normally.

(sorry for my english)

I'm playing 67% loot now and thought I got something from a yellow zombie bag. I'll see what I get as I play more.

Ok thanks for reply. I'm waiting for info.

I had the same "issue" in A17, playing with 75% loot.

I think that when the bag is empty (because of the 75%) it automatically disappear when we open it (instead of nicely waiting that we close it).

I think that when the bag is empty (because of the 75%) it automatically disappear when we open it (instead of nicely waiting that we close it).

Ok but what is probability of 4 or 5 bag to be empty? I had that situation. Or maybe I'm very unlucky 😁

The problem is all the new players posting about it and not understanding why the game isn't doing as described by veteran players, but giving them screamers on their first day.

You got one guy who can place a combination of over 30 stations who will never see a screamer compared to another guy who gets a screamer every 25 minutes because he placed 4 torches.

Pretty much this. Not a critical issue but an odd one to fresh eyes.

Is there any way to get rotten flesh except the gore piles on street or the vultures or loot ?

In my MP Server it has got really rare - maybe i should go to desert and hurt myself under 90% health and wait for vultures ?

Without them i cannot make more plant boxes, since harvesting the POI ones does not give you rotten flesh back now.

Grace's place (house_gambrel_03?). Although you cannot pick up the farm plots anymore, shoveling them gives you nitrate and there are dozens of gore piles. I got the quest there twice in a row, so in four runs through it, I had the stuff for 40 farm plots.

Madmole, I have gone into the old underground bunkers. both types. 2 of the small one, and 3 of the one with the well. none had sleepers. whats up with that?

One does for sure... its my go to base poi, and I found sleepers in it in two separate games.

I can confirm this is a thing, but from modding experience, since I have a lootgroup on them that can have 0 items and opening takes more time you can see the bag dissappear while its still opening because it has 0 items. It will always have 0 items if you wait.

this run through, I think I will rebuild one of the towns, keep a horde base outside of the town. I wont have a base, the entire town will become the base.

It will mean no fetch quests. and I can keep container respawns from deleting my containers by replacing the busted cabinets with my own player made ones.

edit: If you rebuild it, the NPC's will come.

Madmole request: you know how photoshop has the eyedropper to select a color? can we get something similar for the paint brush to select a block texture?

It already has that, hold r to sample with the eye dropper.

One does for sure... its my go to base poi, and I found sleepers in it in two separate games.

This may be a timing issue, I found no sleepers in my bunker.

My theory is this.

Day 1, set up base in the bunker entrance complete with sleeping bag.

Day 2, go scavenging away from your base. By the time you get back the chunk containing the bunker must respawn but the sleeping bag stops the zombies from spawning.

Day 3, open an empty bunker.

Day 21 Horde Crushed *flex*. Ended around 1am and the undead didn't stand a chance. My upgraded base defenses worked flawlessly. Took no damage except for a small opps moment at the end ... lol ... The composition of this horde was still pretty tame, I suspect the next one will be more challenging. I recently unlocked shotgun turrets so things will get really interesting.

Video is uploading ~40 minutes. :)

Don't underestimate them. Keep investing in your defenses a bit each week or your fort will crumble like a sand castle.

Madmole, there was a topic not long ago about zombie biting that got me thinking.

Right now, melee has some dangers attached to it - infection, stun and bleed, rage mechanic and of course chance of getting whacked. But unless you play with always run or on insane difficulty (which I dont, because bullet sponges are really not my thing) unless I step on the landmine I never die. In full heavy armor I can be pretty careless and still get away with it 99% of time.

Getting swarmed should be much more dangerous. I remember one of those rare times that I actually died, while exploring the lvl IV PoI with the secret base under it. I was creeping through the library, when I managed to wake one of the cops guarding the place. He destroyed a block right under me resulting in me falling down into his swings. He pressed me against corner and I panicked, tried to run away, but there was no escape. He smashed me into the ground.

That is how I imagine zombie being dangerous. If they swarm you, its you either fight them off, or die. No chance to run away. It is the same, when you fall into the trap in some of the PoIs, this intensive life or death situation, that in the end makes you careful. The game should severely punish you, if you are not careful and well prepared.

SKIP HERE FOR THE IMPORTANT PART

What I propose is new mechanic for the zombies - knockdown. It would work like this.

1.Zombie has a chance to trigger a knockdown with each hit. Being hit from behind would be almost guaranteed to knock you down.

2. Play death animation (or getting run over by your own vehicle animation), keeping the camera inside the player character.

3. Zombies use eating animation to attack (you can see those animation if you die)

4. Pinned down debuff would decrease resistance to being knocked down to 0. Any damage will prolong the effect, effectively keeping you on the ground untill you dispatched all the zombies

5. (Optional) probably a bit harder to implement, but being knocked down would limit your options to some smaller arms like knife, pistol or a club. Sledgehammer, spear and rifles would be unusable, increasing the value of sidearms.

6. Once all zombies are dead, the debuff would not be refreshed and player will stand back up.

Larger zombies and animals would have higher chance to knockdown. Especially bear hits would be guaranteed to.

I think that all the things are in place (animations, rezistances, status effects etc.) so it should not be very hard to implement. Of course I dont know your code so I might be wrong.

I have noticed that if you try to replace gravel with asphalt in the Creative Mod, for example, you put gravel instead of asphalt. An experiment revealed that the soil type used does not matter, it is always replaced the existing soil. Each type of soil behaves like the soil filler

Version 18.0

Works as intended, the new shader has limitations. Use the adapative terrain filler and the ones we allow, like dirt/gravel.

I wish we had softer and moodier lighting options such as the pumpkin, other lights such as the lantern are too harsh and end up making surrounding blocks look blindingly bright.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30203[/ATTACH]

The gateway I made into my base. Inspired by the gate in Jurassic Park. Unfortunately, the barrels don't light up the surrounding blocks so will probably remove them. I'm also getting a screamer every 5 minutes now so yeah...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30204[/ATTACH]

Surrounded the entire side of the building with a walkway. Gives a chance to shoot incoming zombies as well as giving more shape to the flat outer walls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30205[/ATTACH]

Last I spawned in some lights just to see how it would look inside. I did a few different lighting placements, and this one looked the best imo. I like that these specific industrial lights have a tint of yellow to their glow, as the others were just too white and washed out the color. I also needed a softer light to light up the back corners as they were too dark, so I used some pumpkins and a burning barrel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30206[/ATTACH]

I improved the player lights quite a bit for A18. The problem with dim lights is players will place 500 of them to get it looking good and crash their framerate. Its a catch 22. Small lights perform better but cost more performance. More lights = more shadows and then shadows can cost a lot. I could make the lantern have a softer appearance but I wanted it to be functional for nice light to see what you are doing in caves more than a "pretty base light".

Love your entry to your base!

Hey madmole, got any ideas for books? I have some: What about one for alchemy, maybe fighting techniques, or how to make oil powered lights which would not attract screamers, maybe even learn how to steal from zombies or the trader, or how to use acid against doors, or how to make a crowbar so not only perception guys will have a way to get into safes and doors, maybe have the table saw for more house stuff, because right now its for nothing, really, maybe a book about how to make decoys for zombies( or against vultures), or a book about a a workbench, which would be mainly for rerolling stats for bonus parts, what do you think?

Sorry to interrupt heatmapsgate and socialskillgate, but...

@MadMole:

I mentioned this in the feedback thread, but I know more guys read and comment about this here.

To stop the gun loot over abundance and go back to encouraging crafting them, reverse the complete weapon drop probability and the weapon parts drop probability. Finding a complete gun will be a special treat, and people will NEED to craft weapons.

(I haven't been able to craft one better than loot in over 160 a18 game days over the course of 3 games now.)

To fix steel tool crafting (I haven't been able to make one in 3 games and 160+ hours now) I'd drop the schematic requirement, and either drop the parts completely or increase their drop probability.

Lastly, the traders seem to have a set price on weapon reselling. Can that have a more complex formula system instead taking into account weapon tier and the stats? Crafting later game higher tier weapons should make you more dukes when you sell them, and low level stuff should be less profitable.

What do you guys think of these balance ideas? the steel tools would still be gated by steel production and progression, and the guns crafting would kind of be a hybrid of the new random stat crafting and the old a15 gun crafting.

Less complete gun drops like Borderlands, and more weapon crafting like Skyrim.

I like the balance just fine. I see zero fun in crafting everything, we had it for 17 alphas. Crafting lets you build a nice weapon early game, but shouldn't replace looting. Finding gun parts is immersion breaking, finding a rusted out brown shotgun isn't.

Archived