Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

28 day horde, first demolishers arrived.

A18.1_2019-10-27_00-45-08.thumb.jpg.b6daf30d751b564a5c9854bc27ab813a.jpg

A18.1_2019-10-27_00-45-07.thumb.jpg.b7544fc41593cd8643a97fc9653d2bca.jpg

Fortunately, they show up about 3 am. It was 6 of them, two of them explodes. Till the moment they showed, we was sure it will be first horde night which we will manage pretty easy...

Now we need some other plan for this ... big daddys. Holy cow, this is game changer:)) Good job Fun Pimps!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30176[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30175[/ATTACH]

Fortunately, they show up about 3 am. It was 6 of them, two of them explodes. Till the moment they showed, we was sure it will be first horde night which we will manage pretty easy...

Now we need some other plan for this ... big daddys. Holy cow, this is game changer:)) Good job Fun Pimps!

3eg9g4.jpg

This was tested and heat does not decay. Screamer spawns. Maybe something is broken.

blocks.xml

<property name="HeatMapFrequency" value="1"/> for torches and barrels

<property name="HeatMapFrequency" value="60"/> for campfires and forges

That looks like its the cause, the torches just update the heatmap way more often

blocks.xml

That looks like its the cause, the torches just update the heatmap way more often

Yep, that's why I edited my xml's to make torches 60 like the others.

Just finished my 4th horde night in a row on 10 min 24-cycles and horde night every night with 16 spawning -- man it really makes you think outside the box! I've about given up on molotovs and grenades though, it's a crapshoot wether I hurt myself/set myself on fire lol. I think if you kill demos with AP ammo fast enough their charge doesn't trigger, I used to have them blow up on me but I had prob 5 or 7 per night on this run and none blew up - I shot their charge and it turned red with no blow ups. Not sure what exactly triggers it.

My last-minute electric fence/dart trap setup works perfectly, definitely helps on ammo! God I haven't had this much fun with a game in AGES. Fun pimps = best gaming staff ever, really. Between the game, changes, talking with/listening to the community - grade AAA+++!

@Madmole and whoever else lol, here's some pics right before first horde night. Normally I'd have a top on the base but I was too busy checking everything out to gather resources / experimental and all, but it works well and doesn't consume too much resources. Only nominal repairs/trap replacements needed (only the iron spikes, just minor repairs on electric fences and trigger plates) -- no breaches so far :D but, my resources are running low. starting to hit nearby mines for 3 mins just to get a whack in between hordes. Will I die on the 7th horde night? hehe.

I tried attaching them here but it messed up after the first one. Not sure why it remained attached to the post. More in the spoiler tag to save space.

20191026170737_1.jpg.3ba4fe942e7551b80df8ff94387109f4.jpg

blocks.xml

That's true for the rate of increase. The other problem is that heat is not going away after you remove the heat sources.

a bit off topic but with the introduction of throwing spears there is a great potential of low level primitive survivor bandits. Imagine running into like 7 of them and they all have spears. Love this Alpha BTW. I think the junk turret is super fun but a bit OP. Maybe it could always degrade quickly. Your just throwing crap into it. I do love it though and was bummed when I put a dye on and it vanished (the dye that is) when I put it down. 3rd person animations need some love. Grenades are fantastic I think. I feel like if I want to explore or expand I need to mine for shale but it's not so bad that I can't explore. I am playing with 14 day hordes with a 3 day variable. OK I love that turret give it some quiet robot mumblings and I'm done lol.

@fataal I think I found a bug. I'm playing at 75% loot and when open a bag dropped by zed and in this moment bag dissappear (before inventory shows) there is 100% chance to no loot. Last time I searched 4 bags after bloodmoon and every bag dissappear in moment of search and there was no loot. I saw this bug many times and always there was no loot. When the bag is laying on ground after open, there is loot normally.

(sorry for my english)

I'm playing 67% loot now and thought I got something from a yellow zombie bag. I'll see what I get as I play more.

Google gyrocopter and you might be surprised. The main rotor isn't even attached to the motor, it acts simular to an aircraft wing most of the time and as a parachute if you turn off the motor that drives the forward looking propeller

Correct. The gyrocopter is a low end aircraft. When/If the helicopter is added, it will have different handling characteristics.

^ THIS

Inexplicable FPS drops are still a thing, as is the error above in A18.1e b2. Please review the easy fix in Damocles link.

We all get those messages and it does not matter, since we do not use the Unity terrain shader. Adding their shader may stop the warning, but a warning should not be doing anything to FPS.

I can't pinpoint why but I would be more accepting of a legendary tire above 6 and have 6 still be craft-able. But I guess we will see as you balance the parts and looting. I do think steel tools shouldn't use parts or the amount should be balanced, largely because it makes the upgrade to power tools more likely to happen first as it currently is(as I have experienced). I haven't gone from the stone axe to iron to steel to power tools because either by loot or quest I have gotten power tools before the transition to steel on either of my worlds. Who knows maybe I'm lucky in that regard.

Power tools require gas and make a lot of noise, so they aren't always better to everyone.

Mr. Mole,

i really welcome this new Method/Balance. Now at level 12 at saw the first green Item ( Leather Chest ) and its a lot more challanging and also motivating.

We (group of 3) now really fight about every item that is just slightly better as the one we are wearing at that time.

Its a blast and we are having fun with A18 like probably never before with the game.

Very good Job done to you and the whole of TFP.

Awesome yes in a normal game you will change your gear out all the time and craft some too when the dry spells come or you gain the schematics and have the parts laying around etc.

Sounds like you need to pop the zombie speed up to 'nightmare'. It makes those buried stash quests... interesting, and the loot suddenly becomes 'extra special'.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, then you are frantically scrounging for wood to make/pop a chest down to shift over the loot from the backpack that suddenly appeared.

(it's far from being called 7 days till the ejected loot drop disappears) ;)

Yeah nightmare run and dig quests early game are a death sentence :)

The AI are a work in progress. We see all the tricks people use and changes will be make as we feel it is necessary and time permits.

Just simplify it. The ai beeing predictable is their greatest weakness since that means we can find their pathing magic, and construct something to work around it. Less fancy calculations could also mean reduced amount of cpu cycles used, improving performance.

Atop of that, i think most players will be happier if the zombies just act like brainless creatures that just try to bash their way into their bases, instead of reading and watching endless videos describing the fine tricks needed for a successful base. The reason i think that, is that just about every youtuber and streamer that build their bases stick with the "box surrounded by spikes", both pros and beginners alike.

Besides, a tower base with iron bars for shooting down is still one of the best allround base designs, and will continue to be so no matter how fancy the AI becomes.

I need help I was playing last night after we got the server set up. No issues at medium setting nor high solid 60 FPS. My video card is a GTX 1070 FTW2 last night Windows did a update and no matter the settings Im getting 29.91-30.05 FPS. Anyone have a clues as to what changed that would cause this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30176[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30175[/ATTACH]

The carnage is real :) Horde nights rarely disappoint with the right settings :)

Just finished my 4th horde night in a row on 10 min 24-cycles and horde night every night with 16 spawning -- man it really makes you think outside the box! I've about given up on molotovs and grenades though, it's a crapshoot wether I hurt myself/set myself on fire lol. I think if you kill demos with AP ammo fast enough their charge doesn't trigger, I used to have them blow up on me but I had prob 5 or 7 per night on this run and none blew up - I shot their charge and it turned red with no blow ups. Not sure what exactly triggers it.

My last-minute electric fence/dart trap setup works perfectly, definitely helps on ammo! God I haven't had this much fun with a game in AGES. Fun pimps = best gaming staff ever, really. Between the game, changes, talking with/listening to the community - grade AAA+++!

@Madmole and whoever else lol, here's some pics right before first horde night. Normally I'd have a top on the base but I was too busy checking everything out to gather resources / experimental and all, but it works well and doesn't consume too much resources. Only nominal repairs/trap replacements needed (only the iron spikes, just minor repairs on electric fences and trigger plates) -- no breaches so far :D but, my resources are running low. starting to hit nearby mines for 3 mins just to get a whack in between hordes. Will I die on the 7th horde night? hehe.

I tried attaching them here but it messed up after the first one. Not sure why it remained attached to the post. More in the spoiler tag to save space.

That is awesome. I got outer worlds and it feels exactly like a Fallout game, and I'm sure I'll end up sinking loads of time into it, but tbh I play a bit, start thinking about my base needing this or that, and next thing you know I'm back into 7 days lol.

blocks.xml

The max value HeatMapFrequency can be is 25, because they are x10 internally and the byte a block uses to tick up to that, overflows at 255, so 60 (600) is never reached. Those 60s need to be fixed. BlockTorchHeatMap blocks are random ticked, which is about once per minute, so HeatMapFrequency is different than non random blocks, which is 20 times per second.

We were talking about making torch BlockTorchHeatMap a 3, so don't know why they are 1 currently.

It needs an overhaul. Hopefully this week.

Archived