Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Oh...there is that beautiful little perk, Animal tracking. I would strongly recommend any new player to spend that 1 single point there.

I find plenty of animals when I travel, I'm just too busy trying to get a base going and mining uses a lot of calories, plus traveling to find honey wasted calories, barfing a few times.... its been a tougher game with nightmare zeds all around. Base raid broke my food chest lol.. its fine I'll do without :)

Wow...do torches generate heat? I only have a campfire in my base, which hasn't been used for a couple in game days and walked outside in the morning to find 3 screamers waiting for me. This on day 10. Only thing I can imagine attracting them are the torches I have around the wall. Time to go dark I guess?

How many do you have? Maybe heat isn't decaying like it should. You should be able to have up to 10 torches and cap at 40% heat unless you do other stuff.

Holy cow, you can do that? I have tons of vitamins stacked in my chest never using them. Now I can test the bounderies of what is and is not edible. Might zombies be new lifestock?

Yep, eat vitamins, then all the rotten stuff you want with zero risk, while the vitamin buff is active.

Food is not a problem for me on day 38 ( for now )], i just started a farm just for fun to see how it works the new farm plots.

I m on default, maybe that s why i find a S$^$lod of food and guns.

Yah... is a bit difficult to take of and land with it on rooftops.

Crash land and repair works until you get good at it.

How many do you have? Maybe heat isn't decaying like it should. You should be able to have up to 10 torches and cap at 40% heat unless you do other stuff.

Exactly 10 torches actually, plus 3 candles inside. Only other thing I was doing was crafting a few things in my backpack...a couple farmplots, bandages...nothing very significant.

Yep, it actually did (work). It was used by Somali pirates, and what you see is salt water corrosion probably due to severe neglect.

edit: but I wouldn't want to fire it... unless it was my only AK in a zombie invasion... which brings me back to my original point, choices choices...

that must be a Russian AK not one of those Chinese's AK lol

I been loving A18 alot (i love the new weapons mostly)

but theres a few things that i have some problem with it (its few)

1: lack of clay in deserts

2: Brain dead mountain lions :aka they like to freak out when attacking you.

3: bag's like to disappear. even when you dont die on a slop. i died in house and when i came back. poof gone!

4: lag in snow and desert biome !

thats it! every thing else is a ok. i think!

This was tested and heat does not decay. Screamer spawns. Maybe something is broken.

I was opening the 10k hp super chest last night, had 5 lock picks and it got to about 90% on the first one, then instantly broke my 5 remaining lockpicks finishing at 99%, and I had to break into it with my pick.

In my humble opinion, the way you guys implemented lockpicks makes them my favorite new addition to A18. Picking safes is so damn frustrating that it’s awesome! You see a big safe, you have 10 lockpicks so you start drooling for the loot & how quickly you’ll get it, then you break all 10 at 0.1% left..... screaming in agony then have to spend ten minutes to bang it open. Ingenious!!

Being able to craft tire 6 doesn't matter anymore.

Firstly, you have decentralized crafting off of intelligence making it no longer possible to craft all the items at max tire off one skill.

Secondly, you made it so to craft something you need parts so regardless you made looting necessary in crafting (this makes crafting something pointless most of the time in my opinion but you obviously aren't going to give ground on that point.)

Thirdly, It is already more than certain you will find many of the items before you can craft them, so crafting is less crafting and more akin to mashing ♥♥♥♥tyer items together in the workbench like in A16 so may as well make the upgrade worth all the ♥♥♥♥ you are smashing together.

Adding Tier 6 crafting/upgrading(may as well be what crafting items is now) wont fix the inherent problem with the parts system as it is but it will at least make crafting more of a thing than it is now. honestly if you are sticking with this parts system the parts should be way more common than a high tire item of the same parts.

Honestly this is my biggest issue with A18 most other things I have little to no issue with. I am not ignorant to the fact that crafting was made WAY too strong in the transition from A16 to A17 but I think you way over corrected on this subject.

Thirdly, It is already more than certain you will find many of the items before you can craft them, so crafting is less crafting and more akin to mashing ♥♥♥♥tyer items together in the workbench like in A16 so may as well make the upgrade worth all the ♥♥♥♥ you are smashing together.

Lot of hearts here.

I realy need someone explain me clearly what is fun in the fact of crafting tools or weapons ? Looking for them and taking risk for that, I do understand. But clicking on a button to get an item... Well, in A18 you can still do it, but now you have to find parts, and I'm very happy with that feature. No more "I have 1000 steel ingots and now I can craft what I want".

Its fine, you probably just got unlucky. It balances out fine, I have hundreds of hours testing it. If you hate it, buy Iron gut or take vitamins to prevent it in the first place. I was starving once, and took a vitamin and ate a ton of rotten flesh and filled up to 150% food so I didn't have to worry about food for a while. Buy canned foods, they have 0% risk.

The low food poisoning/dysentery probability that food and non-purified water gives you is great actually - it emphasizes that sweet progressive survival QOL when you find the pure water recipe or are able to produce a lot of food.

Personally I would like to see a much stronger progressive survival QOL increase tied with tech progression, pushing me to use electricity. Even if I do like random loot that actually makes a difference, like the wasteland treasures series, I would like to see water purifiers, ovens that enable cooking the highest level recipes, temperature stabilizers (provided that weather actually becomes a threat), or fridges (if you ever change your mind about spoilage) and many other top-end tech survival solutions.

In my humble opinion, the way you guys implemented lockpicks makes them my favorite new addition to A18. Picking safes is so damn frustrating that it’s awesome! You see a big safe, you have 10 lockpicks so you start drooling for the loot & how quickly you’ll get it, then you break all 10 at 0.1% left..... screaming in agony then have to spend ten minutes to bang it open. Ingenious!!

Awesome. Yeah as much as I love the fallout/skyrim lock pick minigame I never buy any perks because its pretty easy to master with practice. At least with ours you might buy some ranks at some point because its a random roll with no player skill.

Being able to craft tire 6 doesn't matter anymore.

Firstly, you have decentralized crafting off of intelligence making it no longer possible to craft all the items at max tire off one skill.

Secondly, you made it so to craft something you need parts so regardless you made looting necessary in crafting (this makes crafting something pointless most of the time in my opinion but you obviously aren't going to give ground on that point.)

Adding Tier 6 crafting/upgrading(may as well be what crafting items is now) wont fix the inherent problem with the parts system as it is but it will at least make crafting more of a thing than it is now. honestly if you are sticking with this parts system the parts should be way more common than a high tire item of the same parts.

Honestly this is my biggest issue with A18 most other things I have little to no issue with. I am not ignorant to the fact that crafting was made WAY too strong in the transition from A16 to A17 but I think you way over corrected on this subject.

I think if you give it time you will grow to like it. We made the right choice here. Q6 is the future legendary nobody needs to be crafting those. If int guy can craft everything top notch that leaves no crafting for non int guys, and makes int a must have. Everyone hated alpha 17 for this reason. If you craft the best gear then its game over. How is that good? In every game I play once I have the best gear I quit playing and so does everyone else. Human nature wants progression and reward. We have it perfect now.

The low food poisoning/dysentery probability that food and non-purified water gives you is great actually - it emphasizes that sweet progressive survival QOL when you find the pure water recipe or are able to produce a lot of food.

Personally I would like to see a much stronger progressive survival QOL increase tied with tech progression, pushing me to use electricity. Even if I do like random loot that actually makes a difference, like the wasteland treasures series, I would like to see water purifiers, ovens that enable cooking the highest level recipes, temperature stabilizers (provided that weather actually becomes a threat), or fridges (if you ever change your mind about spoilage) and many other top-end tech survival solutions.

I'm glad to see people coming around to a lot of the designs we did.

uhm, perhaps some electric device that could purify and produce cured food. Microwave perhaps?

I'm glad to see people coming around to a lot of the designs we did.

Well, beyond personal preferences that a lot of people love to invoke all the time, there is a thing such as "objectively better design" and it can be quantified with logic and psychology - so when these two strongly back up your design concepts, stick to your guns, even if feedback is less than perfect, imo.

uhm, perhaps some electric device that could purify and produce cured food. Microwave perhaps?

Definitely - there is a lot of room to exploit electricity and increase the value of progression.

Q6 is the future legendary nobody needs to be crafting those.

I can't pinpoint why but I would be more accepting of a legendary tire above 6 and have 6 still be craft-able. But I guess we will see as you balance the parts and looting. I do think steel tools shouldn't use parts or the amount should be balanced, largely because it makes the upgrade to power tools more likely to happen first as it currently is(as I have experienced). I haven't gone from the stone axe to iron to steel to power tools because either by loot or quest I have gotten power tools before the transition to steel on either of my worlds. Who knows maybe I'm lucky in that regard.

In every game I play once I have the best gear I quit playing and so does everyone else. Human nature wants progression and reward. We have it perfect now.

Not everyone.... I'm not quitting till I get every one of those darn books.

I find plenty of animals when I travel, I'm just too busy trying to get a base going and mining uses a lot of calories, plus traveling to find honey wasted calories, barfing a few times.... its been a tougher game with nightmare zeds all around. Base raid broke my food chest lol.. its fine I'll do without :)

#SurvivingAintEasy 😎👍

For some reason it felts like gazz had a hand in it. Like 100000% chance for the next 10 picks to break if the 1st breaks between 95% and 100% lol

Archived