Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think what he's trying to say is that it's not intuitive. Which I agree with, it's a confusing way to display stat comparisons, I'd show their raw damage side by side.

Agreed.

Because there is no secondary window showing the current items stats.

It shows the actual damage though before the + or -.

No, it shows the looted item's actual damage before the +/-. It does not show the EQUIPPED item's actual damage, which is what he is (and frankly, I myself am) asking for. Just show us the existing equipped item's stat in the parentheses. Figuring out if that + represents your equipped item or the one you're looking at is non-intuitive and hard to remember.

When its ready.

Even though it will all but kill some people - take your time and make sure it is ready as can be.

As it is, I probably won't be able to play until Tuesday night Eastern time. Monday is Scouts with my son and by the time that is done I will be all but needing to hit the bed so I can get up for work on Tuesday. However, my office will be close Monday the 14th for Columbus Day and the wife still has to work and the kids have school. So I will get almost a whole day to myself to play until my eyes bleed.

Even though it will all but kill some people - take your time and make sure it is ready as can be.

As it is, I probably won't be able to play until Tuesday night Eastern time. Monday is Scouts with my son and by the time that is done I will be all but needing to hit the bed so I can get up for work on Tuesday. However, my office will be close Monday the 14th for Columbus Day and the wife still has to work and the kids have school. So I will get almost a whole day to myself to play until my eyes bleed.

i got school and test all week

- - - Updated - - -

idk what to say :(

But you had to say something!

yesssss

Imagine grown adults throwing tantrums because some people get to play a video game 3 days before them. If you could travel back in time how would you even begin to explain that to someone from the 19th century lol

Where are you getting the idea that people in the 19th century were any better behaved?

The Sherlock Holmes story "The Final Problem" was supposed to be the last story Arthur Conan Doyle wrote for the character. After several death threats and many pieces of homoerotic fan-fiction being sent for his approval Mr Doyle decided to continue the character himself. :-)

Where are you getting the idea that people in the 19th century were any better behaved?

The Sherlock Holmes story "The Final Problem" was supposed to be the last story Arthur Conan Doyle wrote for the character. After several death threats and many pieces of homoerotic fan-fiction being sent for his approval Mr Doyle decided to continue the character himself. :-)

wack

Imagine grown adults throwing tantrums because some people get to play a video game 3 days before them. If you could travel back in time how would you even begin to explain that to someone from the 19th century lol

I mean im only a teen but damn not everyone is acting like that.

and plus every group has those kinda of people. and some people are going to complain about anythinglike me

- - - Updated - - -

My wife told me that.

lol.

Solo isn't to bad, just a matter of priorities, which are different for each play style. For me, it was always, mine a couple of surface boulders, scrap the iron, make an iron reinforced club (immediate advantage), grab some cotton and make bandages, find a water source, grab a bunch of wood, build a 5x5x5 hut, plant any crops you possibly can. From there, its really just 1 POI at a time. Put a point in the bow, the club, (these are the fall back weapons). From there.... Well that's different every game really. Let RWG and circumstance dictate the next few levels until you are comfortable.

Solo isn't to bad, just a matter of priorities, which are different for each play style. For me, it was always, mine a couple of surface boulders, scrap the iron, make an iron reinforced club (immediate advantage), grab some cotton and make bandages, find a water source, grab a bunch of wood, build a 5x5x5 hut, plant any crops you possibly can. From there, its really just 1 POI at a time. Put a point in the bow, the club, (these are the fall back weapons). From there.... Well that's different every game really. Let RWG and circumstance dictate the next few levels until you are comfortable.

yeah i only play solo

im so lonely

Yep, that was in my post: "Glancing blows doing some odd stuff to groups."

Hi faatal, is it possible to have the sledge do a horizontal swing with a follow through as the power attack? Or would that be overpowered because of the new glancing blow system? This would make it an interesting option for horde nights.

Every streamer I've watched has made similar comments about the sledge power swing.

That is some awesome news faatal. I witnessed in a few streams some FPS hitching when looking towards cliffs or sky in the desert. Im comforted to know that guys like you are out there watching that stuff. In my eyes streamer weekend is a success no matter the outcome because it brings a more solid experience to everyone on release day.

And i bow to you good sir at the stair jumping fix! Its exhausting watching horde night after horde night of jumping zeds. I mean im not against using things to your advantage but man that one is cheese heaven.

A issue with low FPS the testers were able to reproduce last night, is people turning off texture streaming (why???) and after a while texture memory gets tight and bad things happen. Changing texture quality, then causes it to happen much sooner than just playing. At this point the game needs texture streaming. Turning it off was really for debugging, so I plan on removing that option tonight and making it a gfx console command, so it could still be turned off for debugging.

Your ai stands because it goes into rage mode the same time it dies.

/Backseat hypothesising since 1971

Don't know what you mean. Rage mode is actually pretty simple. Maybe 40 lines of code. All it changes is move speed, like walk/run or day/night/BM also does.

Then you have rage mode short range teleports if it's being hit the same time it rages, which looks like network lag catching up but to positioning, but some of these guys are in single player games so dunno.

As I said above, a scaling value changes. Position is never directly changed.

A issue with low FPS the testers were able to reproduce last night, is people turning off texture streaming (why???) and after a while texture memory gets tight and bad things happen. Changing texture quality, then causes it to happen much sooner than just playing. At this point the game needs texture streaming. Turning it off was really for debugging, so I plan on removing that option tonight and making it a gfx console command, so it could still be turned off for debugging.

Texture streaming is interfering with video overlays and memory for streamers. Two of them mentioned they turned it off for that reason.

Not your guys fault, they are doing too many processes at once, imho.

One of the experienced modders (I think dust2death) mentioned that texture streaming would consume CPU time. I conducted some tests and as far as I remember he was right (not absolutely sure though).

is people turning off texture streaming (why???) and after a while texture memory gets tight and bad things happen.

Because generally ram is faster than disk. and disk io eventually = the go slows.

Maybe time to up the recommended VRAM from 2GB to something higher.

So... instead of getting information overload from having to watch streamers and sorting through forum bug reports, which is we use bug tracking software in the first place. TFP now have to watch streamers while having to sort through forum bug reports about the issues seen in the streamers videos?

I'll buy that it's good marketing but what I won't buy is "it's too hard".

You don't get to decide how we develop our game. Thank you very much.

One of the experienced modders (I think dust2death) mentioned that texture streaming would consume CPU time. I conducted some tests and as far as I remember he was right (not absolutely sure though).

the higher the res (of textures) the more cpu overhead for swapping..

Terrain textures did increase to 2K from 1K for A18. so more RAMs will be consumed.

Archived