Zombie loot bag persistency.

seagas

I'm fine with the rare zombie loot bag drop and I really like the yellow color. I just wish its persistency lasted a bit longer, to something like 12 game hours. This shouldn't effect performance like the gore blocks as it doesn't happen often. The big problem is horde night when you 30+ zombies and you get that rare drop early on, but you can't get to it without getting killed. That and you don't always see a loot drop in the heat of battle, especially if your defenses killed the zombie. At least this would make for a nice surprise when you doing your after battle repair and clean up.

I'm a bit naive when it comes to finding what to look for in the files, so if someone knows what to do to change this, please help me out. Thank you in advance :)

Well, there are more than a few mods that add this ability. I don't see a reason to change the Vanilla settings. As Katiof stated, you either get serious, or you get safe. Safe isn't going to get you very far. It's a risk/reward thing, and if you aren't going to take the risk, you really don't deserve the rewards.

Reasoning behind it is something like that:

You either sit behind defences and pass on loot, or come out actively risking a bit and take the loot.

Poor reasoning.

That and my base design allows for the collection of loot anyway even if I turn it to completely passive. There is no good reason that loot bags don't stick around a little longer.

Well, there are more than a few mods that add this ability. I don't see a reason to change the Vanilla settings. As Katiof stated, you either get serious, or you get safe. Safe isn't going to get you very far. It's a risk/reward thing, and if you aren't going to take the risk, you really don't deserve the rewards.

To be fair, early game you can usually exhaust the horde by 1am, and the bags are still sitting there. Late game, you don't really need what's in the bag lol.

To be even more fair the player character can so easily outpace every other entity (even on nightmare speed) that the risk is pretty close to nil...

Just do it. Exit your base and loot the bags while running around avoiding whatever enemies there might be. Nothing will come close to touching you.

To be even more fair the player character can so easily outpace every other entity (even on nightmare speed) that the risk is pretty close to nil...

Just do it. Exit your base and loot the bags while running around avoiding whatever enemies there might be. Nothing will come close to touching you.

Well, true BUT that should be a temporary thing. I mean really, what is the point of BM if you just need to stroll away.

So, we put in the time and effort to build ourselves a nice little base with some turrets for protection and in return we get:

- NO experience

- NO loot

- And our base ripped down in record time by wrecking balls disguised as zombies.

How about we just get honest and take building out of the game all together.

- NO experience

- NO loot

- And our base ripped down in record time by wrecking balls disguised as zombies.

All that depends on your difficulty settings right? if you want to have a better building experience, crank down the difficulty. you cant have it both ways. I like building more than zombie killing, so I essentially play in care bear mode (there I said it). I get plenty of XP during BMs, occasional loot, and very little base damage (because the zombies die before getting there for the most part).

I play 7DTD as kind of a casual experience. clearing/looting POIs is very mind numbing after a long day in an IT dept:)

just my two cents.

how about a slider in settings for loot persistency? this would be at the cost of performance I would guess, but I am a fan of player choice in some of these more technical issues. The problem here (at least to consider if there was a slider and you wanted to adjust it) is that I would guess that those bags are also tied to dropped loot when you clear searchable POI objects. just something to consider.

All that depends on your difficulty settings right? if you want to have a better building experience, crank down the difficulty. you cant have it both ways. I like building more than zombie killing, so I essentially play in care bear mode (there I said it). I get plenty of XP during BMs, occasional loot, and very little base damage (because the zombies die before getting there for the most part).

I'm not sure if the block damage of the zombies depends on the difficulty settings. But in 17.2 you can adjust the blockdamage individualy.

In general, the question is always whether to build the base in a way that exploits the zombies' pathfinding. If you do this you can avoid bigger damages on the base but if you decide against it you have to be prepared for bigger damages and build a more stable base.

So the bags might as well persist then, I agree.

I think if your base survives the night you should get the loot- but if you run away- that should be considered "losing" the bm- and all loot bags despawn. Can everyone just agree to that?

I play 7DTD as kind of a casual experience. clearing/looting POIs is very mind numbing after a long day in an IT dept:)

just my two cents.

You actually can. I play warrior with 32 BM and have no problems at all in defending my base.

So the bags might as well persist then, I agree.

I think if your base survives the night you should get the loot- but if you run away- that should be considered "losing" the bm- and all loot bags despawn. Can everyone just agree to that?

Except I can’t agree to that because my whole point was that the current persistency is fine. How about we agree that if you’re willing to leave your safety to get the bags before they disappear then you get the loot and if you’re too ascared then you miss out and lose the BM. Risk for rewards makes the rewards much more rewarding which is why I actually want the top speed of enemies in the game to be increased a smidge. Right now it’s a bit too easy to go grab the bags even with enemies still spawning locally.

So the purpose of building a base would not be survival, but some lootbags, that have the purpose of helping you survive, which you can just do by running.

Sounds legit.

So the purpose of building a base would not be survival, but some lootbags, that have the purpose of helping you survive, which you can just do by running.

Sounds legit.

Hey I mostly agree that it should be about survival and not so much loot. I'd be fine with no zombie loot if they went that way as long as it was all interesting to do or more necessary.

But if yer going to have loot bags (which this game does), I think it's silly that they despawn in 2 minutes. Why not have all loot containers in POI's despawn in 2 minutes upon entering for added risk\reward... A lot of annoying things like this could be added to give people who want to earn S ranks that kind of play mechanic... I never liked that.

It feels like some cheesy game mechanic that you would earn better loot just because you pointlessly put yourself in more harm's way on the ground in a BM. Which doing is just a glitchy jankey stuttery mess (esp once the base is decked out).

While you are running for bags on the ground- you get something faaaaaar more valuable then any lootbag currently is....

The zombies lose focus on your base and chase you so your base takes very little damage. You could just sit down there all night doing laps around your base until daytime even. It's like getting 500 loot bags in repair savings.

So I see your legit and I raise you a logic.

Hey I mostly agree that it should be about survival and not so much loot. I'd be fine with no zombie loot if they went that way as long as it was all interesting to do or more necessary.

But if yer going to have loot bags (which this game does), I think it's silly that they despawn in 2 minutes. Why not have all loot containers in POI's despawn in 2 minutes upon entering for added risk\reward... A lot of annoying things like this could be added to give people who want to earn S ranks that kind of play mechanic... I never liked that.

It feels like some cheesy game mechanic that you would earn better loot just because you pointlessly put yourself in more harm's way on the ground in a BM. Which doing is just a glitchy jankey stuttery mess (esp once the base is decked out).

While you are running for bags on the ground- you get something faaaaaar more valuable then any lootbag currently is....

The zombies lose focus on your base and chase you so your base takes very little damage. You could just sit down there all night doing laps around your base until daytime even. It's like getting 500 loot bags in repair savings.

So I see your legit and I raise you a logic.

No, I actually agree about the persistence of loot!

What I didn't agree with is the character being able to safely run away.

Lots of debate but no answers for the OP as to where it can be changed?

My 2 cents is, if they need to make loot bags disappear fast in order to manufacture risk/reward - that is only fixing a symptom of the real problem which is lack of risk/reward bacause the game is too easy. You should have risk even behind your walls, not just because want to grab loot outside your walls so it doesnt poof into thin air in 2 minutes. Where are all the immersion warriors, Roland?, complaining that loot disappearing into thin air after 2 minutes kills their immersion?

Except I can’t agree to that because my whole point was that the current persistency is fine. How about we agree that if you’re willing to leave your safety to get the bags before they disappear then you get the loot and if you’re too ascared then you miss out and lose the BM. Risk for rewards makes the rewards much more rewarding which is why I actually want the top speed of enemies in the game to be increased a smidge. Right now it’s a bit too easy to go grab the bags even with enemies still spawning locally.

That is not risk/reward. It is just silly. There is no reason that loot despawns before the player can get to it. This is a rather dismissive response to what seems to be a rather justified request. Sure, TFP is under no requirement to take the suggestion to heart and implement it but I do think it is quite valid to state the loot bag that drops should be something that I can recover in a reasonable manner.

Pointing out that zombie run speed is broken is also not a valid 'fix.' We know that you can simply kite zombies forever. The reality that doing so essentially breaks the game for many of us means we do not do it.

Check entityclasses.xml file and search for the code below (it's around 3060 line of the file):

<!-- Coloured loot-backpacks that drop off of killed zombies -->
<entity_class name="EntityLootContainerRegular">
<property name="Mesh" value="LootContainers/zpackPrefab"/>
<property name="ModelType" value="Custom"/>
<property name="Prefab" value="Backpack"/>
<property name="Class" value="EntityLootContainer"/>
<property name="Parent" value="Backpack"/>
<property name="IsEnemyEntity" value="false"/>
<property name="TimeStayAfterDeath" value="300"/>
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="70"/> <!-- used to determine container X/Y size -->
<property name="Faction" value="none"/>
</entity_class>

<entity_class name="EntityLootContainerStrong">
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="71"/>
</entity_class>

<entity_class name="EntityLootContainerBoss">
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="73"/>
</entity_class>

Compare this to the backpack dropped when dying:

<entity_class name="Backpack">
<property name="Mesh" value="LootContainers/backpack_droppedPrefab"/>
<property name="Class" value="EntityBackpack"/>
<property name="TimeStayAfterDeath" value="3600"/> <!-- player death backpacks will go poof after this many seconds. 0 means 0, not infinite. -->
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="2"/> <!-- used to determine container X/Y size -->
</entity_class>

Archived