Better block rotating! MM, Gazz, Faatal, anyone...

toores

The simplest way to get any rotation with just a few clicks.

I would love to see it in A17.2 stable :)

At the moment Left Alt is used for "free camera move". Let's change it to another key and use L Alt for advanced rotation.

I propose, hold L Alt to rotate:

clockwise = left click

counterclockwise = right click

forward = mouse wheel forward (same direction as the wheel)

backward = mouse wheel backward

If you move your camera and pass the 45 degree angle (e.g. face west and turn to face north), the mouse wheel rotation direction changes with you.

How about simple drag & drop? Freeze the "vision camera" while dragging a block, left/right rotates the current order back and forth, up/down rotates through the faces similarly.

First, no one likes to freeze their movement in a zombie game, you might have to escape quickly.

Second, it is easier to place blocks in hard to reach places when you can move around.

Third, I think my suggestion is much easier to implement.

I think I agree with all your points, but, disagree in the details.

1. I would count on it to be an instinct to release the left click when you start moving, you'd maybe get annoyed by it once every 10 hours. Might be difficult to speed build if you're trying to do something fancy while in combat, but.. well, never seen people really do that.

As I envision it, the normal click would rotate like now, and the drag&drop would come with a delay. Nothing would prevent implementing your idea simultaneously.

2. Sure, goes without saying, kinda hard to reach places if you can't move to them. Although, how often do you actually rotate AND move at the same time? Can't really see that as an issue in practice.

3. Absolutely, easier. Of course it depends a bit on how well the current implementation supports rotating +6 or +23 positions, but at least not more difficult than drag&drop.

How about this for a mouse movement only option...

Move the mouse a little left of the centre of the block zone and the block face rotates towards the cursor (clockwise if seen from above). Move the cursor to the right and get anticlockwise, Move the cursor up to spin the block around a horizontal axis.

Where this might come unstuck is when there's a bunch of potential placement sites side by side (or behind the current placement site), and the placement jumps to these other sites as you try to induce rotation.

Inspiration could be drawn from other games.

I think Empyrion does rotations on an axis level. You can change on which axis you rotate and then you can go forth and back (all three axis are drawn, so you know exactly which way you're rotating).

Hmm... Perhaps my visions are too grand, because it's another reply to a suggestion that would require too much coding to implement in-game and simpler solutions are available :S

The mouse wheel would work, but I wouldn't want my toolbar scrolling at the same time. I suggest a single key tap... doesn't matter which key... that switches the direction of rotation.

It could be hold R for rotation options, but tap R to switch rotation direction.

This would be my choice. A not over-complicated QOL feature.

Archived