Feedback for The Fun Pimps on Alpha 17

firstedition

Sorry, but there are so many pages and i won't be reading what everyone posted in the last couple weeks... I'm gonna just say...

Don't have a very strong PC, nor a very weak one, yet after trying out a modlet that increases zombie spawns in the wild i don't tend to have FPS problems (playing SP only). Should be tested on various configurations, but i think people could handle increased zombie numbers. Would definitely enhance the gameplay and not make outdoors look deserted.

'So, for example, when you make it so players can't effectively hide from the hordes, what you are essentially saying to them is: "The choice you made is not intended gameplay. Even if you try you will fail." I feel that message - subtly directing the player towards a particular style of play through mechanics - is at odds with the spirit of the open-world sandbox survival game that you have created, because it eliminates the most important thing gamers look for in these type of games: player-choice.'

I believe, there shoudl be option, 'allow for cheating strategies'.

So you still have choice, and you clearly understand, game was not designed that way.

Game is designed specific way for a reason. It's vision of developer, it's way it was meant to be played if you like.

Too much freedom and game looses what makes it a game. No one stops you from going 'god mode', if you don't however, you struggle. Struggle is core of ANY game.

I don't play game that allows me to win 100% of the time. Digging into hole in the ground does exactly that. So no, devs, while your code is ♥♥♥♥(yet), I like your vision. And your stuff you come up with - surprises me in a good way. I never build car yet, but I'd love to make one.

Friends of mine when created game set air drops to be dropped every day. I hated it. I asked to not drop every day. They made air drop visible on map - I hated it. Too easy. There should be options for zombies to dig ground or not in game settings perhaps. So those wanting it to be another minecraft can do their things. But it's not going to be 7dtd. Defaults should be challenging. Anything else is a plus.

I am rather upset that meat smell is gone and you can't be infested with zombiosis. I am SERIOUSLY upset with performance of the game. But otherwise I am happy with whole concept and what you do. Keep up good work Pimps!

• 2 weeks later...

It would be VERY nice of you to remove the slow effect when you get stunned.

I just died to a zombie I couldn't aim ,which moved zig zag ,which stunned me ,and GOD FORBID I was reloading with my shotgun.

Combine that with the lag and super stuttering where more than 5 zombies in an area and I'm dead laughing at how ridiculous the game feels like after months of a beta.

So for the love of god,remove the super slow effect when stunned which is proven fatal when reloading ,when I can't switch to bandages or other stuff. At least until the super stuttering effect is completely removed.

Cheers.

I'm dead laughing at how ridiculous the game feels like after months of a beta.

Actually, the game is in Alpha, not Beta.

What FPS are you getting? I certainly didn't see much by way of stuttering in my own A17.x playthroughs, so I'd be curious to know what sort of frames per second you're getting.

Actually, the game is in Alpha, not Beta.

What FPS are you getting? I certainly didn't see much by way of stuttering in my own A17.x playthroughs, so I'd be curious to know what sort of frames per second you're getting.

I get on average 60 fps,with huge stuttering.

The stuttering has dramatically decreased by using the gfx pp enable 0 during gameplay.

Feedback on Ammo:

I never liked when you decided to remove the 10mm ammo and make the smg use the same ammo as the pistol.

the only thing that this did for me was to render the pistol useless as soon as i got an smg.

the idea was to save space etc, but now that you released the steel ammo you really stepped on your last statement.

The thing is i would love to use the pistol more now that i can mod it with silencer and all that but i wont waste my smg ammo on it. i would rather see a one type of ammo for each gun than to see 3 guns use the same ammo. Because then i would have to choose between one of them.

Love the guns now though, huge improvement to have whole guns and mods instead of weapon parts.

Hello (Again) and A17.4 Impressions

I'm not sure if I've ever posted before. If so, it would have been years ago during A... A... A??... I could only guess at the version. Anyways, Hello. :) It feels like the first time playing, again. So I thought I'd pass along some first time observations in case they might be useful to the Devs.

I started with a Single Player random seed. I went through around 4 starts before deciding that perhaps the random seed approach wasn't making for a viable world. The game was largely "a desperate search for water while being killed by dogs and harassed by vultures. I eventually found the game's feature that would generate the seed and show you the map. There was no water (rivers or ponds) on any of the maps I generated. This led me to try the Navezgane map where online maps assured me there would be water, and that has worked out much better.

Along the way in this latest play-through I've been killed by a boar, drowned beneath a house, swarmed by Z's in a basement, and clobbered by a Z after I appear to have tripped over my bicycle. Collapsing floors are a nice sneaky challenge.

I find myself wondering what happened that led to a zombie apocalypse because there are strange things that I'd like to know more about. For instance, why are there Z's inside completely fortified houses? Was there an airborne virus? Why do Z's hide in cabinets, or I suppose, why did the human with bite out of his head hide in a closet before they became a Z?

I suppose a more pressing question would be how did I end up laying outdoors in my boxers? I'm going with an unfortunately timed bachelor's party ran into a zombie apocalypse. The hangover is taking a while to clear as I still cannot focus well enough to read any of the cast-aside newspapers. :)

The difficulty of the Z's has started to noticeably increase. The Cops are entertaining, but I'm not a fan of somehow their bodies have changed such that they can projectile vomit an incredible distance, or that they can... explode. Huh?

I don't mind animals being part of the game. I really like that, actually. But their behavior seems odd. Are snakes and dogs just Z's in disguise? Why are the snakes in the barn charging me along with the Z's? There aren't any mice and I am much slower than the rabbits, so I guess I can see it from the snake's point of view. :)

For my land claim, the green boundary... does my territory include the squares of the boundary, or only those squares within the boundary? Maybe it would be better if the boundary were presented on square edges instead of down the middle of the blocks. I've found a Z inside my walls twice and I'm not sure how they got there. I'm sure I've messed something up and need to spend more time observing. I'm wondering if they stepped on spike blocks outside the wall and then jumped over. Maybe they spawned on top of the wall? Maybe there was a quiet Z or two inside the bounds that hung out for a while?

Some UI observations...

I couldn't figure out the Forge. I had to search the web to figure out that I needed to "Smelt" stuff into the Forge's inventory. Everything else so far leaves items in my inventory until I start a recipe.

I didn't realize there is a way to harvest crops without destroying the plant. I saw that mentioned on these boards this morning. I was trying to figure out why anyone would farm, otherwise.

Tripping over the bicycle and being hurt and stunned seems so petty. Yeh, it got me killed. I'm not bitter. I'm not. (sniff) Really! ;)

Can I fashion a boar spear to hunt boars? You know, keep them at a distance, and... I'm not bitter. (sniff) I respect life lessons. I can see how an arrow through the skull might piss one off. Ah well, you only live... an infinite number of times. :)

Anyways, once I got started in Navgazine the game became quite fun. I can see using some mods to make the Z's more human, but so far things are interesting and entertaining.

A17 A.I. feedback

Well its me again :D

And I wanted to congratulate faatal (if hes still working with you :D havent seen him in months) and give just two or three things that, in my opinion need to be changed for the A.I. to feel better than A16 again.

And yes this has been discussed a lot, but I honestly don't know anymore what is allowed and what isn't.

Posting discussions slightly phrased as questions gets it moved to another forum which means the effort put in is wasted because nobody looks there, necroing old threads gets the thread closed, opening new threads get things moved somewhere nobody can see it. So you do whatever you need to do :D

So... I have finally started playing A17 for real this time, since Rolands mod fixes the most agonizing mistakes that ruined A17 and the performance is at least bearable and Nitrogen fixes the horrible rwg.

And I have been very much open about my dislike and criticism of the factually bad features/decisions that A17 implemented/changed.

One of them was A.I. Now I have around 60 hours in A17 under my wing and 55 are in 17.3/4.

And I have to say that it got a lot better. There are still things that need to be fixed (see below).

I specificially built my base around the current A.I. but not exploitative (I used a big prefab and put rotating blades on the walls) and I must say, its a lot of fun. Zombies on hordenight still get through (might be a sideeffect of rolmod since my gamestage is at 250 on day 40) to me even though they need to get up two stairs, one of them only 1 block wide.

This would have never been possible in A16. So good job on that end. And since they now randomly stop to hit certain blocks they dont like, I still had to upgrade the foundation because they still wanted to destroy the bottom floor.

Blockhp dmg was either nerfed or changed in rolmod, but it feels way less punishing and a vault door can now actually take a beating before breaking.

So thank you for your good work. You and roland made A17 playable :D It's still not rewarding to level up... but lets see what A18 brings.

So with that said, I wanna give my 2 cents on what NEEDS to happen to A.I. to finally feel better than A16. (right now its more towerdefense bloons style and less build up your whole base)

1. decrease Z's search radius.

If my entrance is facing west and a zombie from the east can find it no problem, this is an issue.

It should try and MAKE an entrance on the other side. They sometimes already do it, but only in extreme cases. Mostly they will just wander around the house and entering there.

2. they shouldnt be able to look through walls. Be it seeing spikes behind walls/around corners or knowing which path offers the least hp to break, they should only ever have a general idea.

There are (as far as I can see) two ways of doing it:

2.1. would be to only give them "visual" and "hearing/seeing/smelling" senses.

With the visual beeing the main drive and only beeing able do calculate a path they can see and the latter beeing a general pathfinder waypoint system like it is implemented right now. So they know where to go but since they don't see it, they just start MAKING a path to the closest pathing point.

2.2 would be to do it as it is planned fo A18, making zombies less reliable and simply start whacking blocks if they need to change elevation/direction. This is a bit more random, but might also be more optimization friendly... so who knows.

3. and this might be the biggest point:

ZEDS NEED TO IGNORE TRAPS!!! They are zombies with no sense of preservation. If they see two possible ways one with spikes and one without, they should only very rarely choose the one without over the other.

But currently one spikeblock (iron) is worth more than 8 dirt and 2 reinforced concrete!

(tested more than once: set up a bunker, hordenight 1: only a closed door, zs found the entrance and started a combined effort to break through.

hordenight 2: same setup, but one small row of iron spikes in front of the door (one in front one left and one right of that) OPENED THE DOOR and they didn't care one bit. They all started digging straight down into the bunker, trying to break the concrete until morning.)

They are a horde. A horde is defined by no single one mattering. So if two Z's die on their way to break the quickest path, so be it!

Not only does it make no sense, this leads to easy exploitation and spikes beeing absolutely useless.

Luckily they already ignore bladetraps and electric fences, but they are unavailable until day ~14-21 sometimes later.

So yeah. Gj on the A.I. This is one of the very few points that I actually take back my criticism on. Well done ^^

I actually think that they should not avoid traps with the exception of the spikes because of how large and visible they are. If those spikes were blocks, which visually they essentially are, the zombies would likely walk around. If they have enough sense not to walk right into trees or walls, they should not walk into a spike trap. Exceptions should be, and are, that they will walk over them or walk into them if they need to make an open path.

However, I do think that zombie movements need some adjustments that would make the spikes more effective.

For one, zombies should bump each other more when close together. This way you could make narrow spike paths to disperse groups. They would bump each other into spikes. (they do this a little right now, but not as much as they should)

Second, zombies that run should have some momentum in the direction they are running. If they are running and need to turn to their left, momentum should bring them to their right some... and vice versa... with the amount of drift depending on run speed. Placing spikes strategically where running zombies are likely to be carried into would give an extra element of having to think about placement.

Insane. With zombies beeing one speed faster in every category.

So does it feel like game stage ramps up too quickly or does it feel about right. I’m very interested in adjusting the game stage speed of progression.

As for zombies avoiding spikes. This is not my experience at all. I do horde night on a stretch of road with intermittent areas with a torch and some barbed wire and spikes, The zombies DO NOT walk around the spikes thru the total open areas. Some will but others will not take the completely open path to me and will try to walk right thru the traps.

So does it feel like game stage ramps up too quickly or does it feel about right. I’m very interested in adjusting the game stage speed of progression.

As it is insane, it feels very nice. I currently have a setup where they still cant touch me on hordenight (although two hordenights before when I didnt have this setup, I was actually forced to run out because they overran us).

I mean it is already nearly only radiated, but I got lucky with a radremover... so I think its fine. Exploring POIs is a bit of a hassle, since all of them are radiated zombies, but that is a A17 problem not your mods.

So yeah. Slightly less to slightly more should be fine, depending on what skills you have and how lucky you got with items/mods.

I always played on insane so for me this is about fine, my mate I play with (told you in your thread) has visible problems, so I'm not sure what you wanna balance it around.

As for zombies avoiding spikes. This is not my experience at all. I do horde night on a stretch of road with intermittent areas with a torch and some barbed wire and spikes, The zombies DO NOT walk around the spikes thru the total open areas. Some will but others will not take the completely open path to me and will try to walk right thru the traps.

Really? Do the Z's have another way to get to you?

Have you tried an underground bunker yet? Because obviously, if they only have one path to you, they will take it.

But since they can literally dig anywhere to get in a bunker, so they avoid spikes like the plague.

I think what's currently missing form the game is zombie footsteps . I hate jump scares and I hate ninja zombies. Zombies are not supposed to be silent they are supposed to be loud,they are either running,walking or shambling. In any event they need to be heard when they are moving.

Please make it your top priority to listen to zombies in the next patch if possible.

At the beginning of A17 i have mad an elevated pathway with a ramp to climb onto it. My bad decision was to dig the ground in front of the ramp and place spikes inside. They got onto the ramp as long as spikes were there, but when they were destroyed, they couldn't get on top and bashed on the pathway supports to get me down.

So yeah, they do treat spikes(or at least they did) as a whole block fro calculations.

To each his own. I love the dungeon crawl POIs and the current ratio of them to basic buildings.

But to your point....if TFP was getting bored with the game they wouldn't have spent the time to convert and update around 70 POI's. Doing what they did shows the opposite. They love this game and want it to be the best it can be. For those who like lots of cluttered structures and blind corners it got a lot better than A16 which was in turn better than A15 as far as POI exploration is concerned.

I have to give you that Roland that is truly a big positive there! The zombies being in buildings and coming out of no where has scared the life out of me countless times now and the hidden chests and hidden rooms etc are cool as well

I'm on day 88, 120 min days, rwg, no mods but currently got the zombies walking whilst I build my palace and block damage to 25% otherwise I'd say it's far to quick but solely because of the zombie block damage being insane... hearing so many reports of how making a base is impossible but I'm planning to prove it wrong with my massive construction with 30 blade traps at present and 32 dart traps... but who knows I'll stream it when I'm complete... And after all isn't this game about building a defense system to sustain a horde? Or is it to collect all the goodies and lose everything within the space of a horde night? Because I tend to lead my horde night zombies away from my base so it doesn't get wrecked for the meantime

- - - Updated - - -

From YouTube vids I've saw that when the zombies clump together than cab bypass and jump over the spikes which is pretty jokes for the one receiving it lol I guess an electric fence and barbed wire would help isolate this issue though

Really? Do the Z's have another way to get to you?

Have you tried an underground bunker yet? Because obviously, if they only have one path to you, they will take it.

But since they can literally dig anywhere to get in a bunker, so they avoid spikes like the plague.

Another way to get to me - As I said I am standing on an open road during horde night so yes. They can either walk thru the spikes or walk one space next to the spike and miss it completely. They will do both. Spikes are not an automatic avoid. Some will avoid, some will not.

Underground bunker - Do you mean for horde night? No. For living? I have and as long as it is over 40 blocks deep it is not an issue at all. It is as safe from Zombies as it ever was. My standard is living down there with my forges and all etc and I have never once had a zombie dig down to get to me. Trick is depth. Now this playthrough I'm only on D13 and am still staying up top tho I have dug the underground and put my concrete forges down there but everything else I have up top in a converted POI with me.

hearing so many reports of how making a base is impossible but I'm planning to prove it wrong with my massive construction with 30 blade traps at present and 32 dart traps...

If you know how the zombie pathfinding works, you can get by with less. I have in my current base only 6 dart traps, 3 electric fences and one blade trap. That's more than enough against a gamestage 300 horde with 32 zombies at the same time.

I will also build a much bigger base with more defense mechanisms but that's more for fun and not because it has to be.

More people need to study Crater Creator's newest avatar. He's trying to educate. If you have issues with zombies pathing around spikes just watch for Crater's next post and look at his avatar.

but that goes completely against the Idea of spikes. You cant stand on them.

We need a solid trap block back. Then these can become normal "passable" ones again!

Archived