FarmLifeMod

stasis78

Thanks zy. I have tried to my mod as compatible as is currently possible. The only real hold back is a lack of name and description support through modlets. I know sdx does some stuff but I’m not ready to jump on that band wagon until pimps confirm how they intend vanilla modlets to function.

Once I can support item names and descriptions then I will make sure all the items are generated with unique idents that won’t collide with other mods.

I’m not necessarily opposed to working with others on farm life but I have very specific goals for the next version and I’m not entirely sure my ideas mesh with other modders ambitions :)

- - - Updated - - -

So to install this I just add this to the mod folder or do I need the other farming mod too?

I think. Didn’t test it. Stallion can make a note about it hopefully :)

https://imgur.com/a/sUrJiKS

This is what I get when I try to run Farming + FarmLifeMod with the compatibility patch. I just put the compatibility patch folder in the Mods folder. Is that the correct way to install it?

EDIT: Since the its very hard to see from the image, there is a line that says "Exception: Block with name 'Tomato' not found!"

The download seems to contain both mods, made compatible. Get red of the old versions of those mods you had and open up the compatibility mod folder and put the crops and farmlifemod folders into your mod folder separately. I haven't tested it yet, but this appears to be what's going on to me.

The download seems to contain both mods, made compatible. Get red of the old versions of those mods you had and open up the compatibility mod folder and put the crops and farmlifemod folders into your mod folder separately. I haven't tested it yet, but this appears to be what's going on to me.

That is correct it isn't a comparability patch it is both mods with the edits that work together. Old versions need to be removed before installing both these

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the help on this guys. Appreciate it :)

You did the hard work and amazing work :-)

@Stasis78 Thanks for that huge mod., it looks like a lot of work :)!

A small wish, for the future (think and hoping you release updates for it :p)...

Can you copy the original master blocks (tree and growing), rename and link the modded tree to it?

Cause i modded the original trees to a normal block, for using the downgrade function (respawn) but growing didnt work with that way.

So i dont need to change it by my self, with every update =)

@Stasis78 Thanks for that huge mod., it looks like a lot of work :)!

A small wish, for the future (think and hoping you release updates for it :p)...

Can you copy the original master blocks (tree and growing), rename and link the modded tree to it?

Cause i modded the original trees to a nomral block, for using the downgrade function (respawn).

So i dont need to change it by my self, with every update =)

That’s a good idea! I’ll probably look at this functionality. I plan to completely rework all my blocks and items so they do not extend any vanilla blocks at all in order to keep them from being affected by other mods.

For better or for worse :)

To follow up on my extends comment.

The way that 7 days does extends is confusing. It’s not always clear exactly what is and is not extended. I prefer a system where all of a parent or supers data is inherited. It’s makes things more obvious and cleaner to understand.

To that end, my tool will be generating master items similar to vanilla. The difference is that you won’t ever see these master blocks in the modlet code. The only way to implement this easily through code. When my tool is done and I release the v2 there will basically be no xpath except appends for items, blocks, recipes, etc. there will still be a few attributes that are added so things like icons and models can still work as separate mods, but the entire modTag system will go away.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be easy for me to add additional attributes if other modders need or want hooks into farm life. Always open to requests.

Isnt all data from a masterblock inherited to the childblock that extends from it? And any entries you add to the childblock that are also in the masterblock will override that same entry from the master right? I am still learning, so might be something there I am overlooking:) I am using a few masterblocks in the mod I am writing now, and makes it much easier to do adjustments that affects all the blocks that extends from it. But can still tweak individually where needed by overriding the master in some blocks if or when needed. I'll soon know if it works tho:p

I’ve been making good progress on my farm life tool. I’m able to write a mod directory and include items from my internal database in the correct format, though it’s barebones right now. I have the import code started so I’ll be able to get all my changes from v1 in soon and start iterating on the export. It’s coming along a bit faster than I thought it would after a slow start.

Progressing overall as I hoped. I was hoping I might have a reusable tool for others to use but for now I’m focusing on farm life specifics. Maybe one day I’ll be able to release a generic editor. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if pimps offer one before the end. So not gonna spend time on that.

Beside I’m a Mac guy and most people wouldn’t be able to use it :)

Hey guys. I made some really great progress so far and wanted to give an update on a few things.

First, for version 2 of Farm Life I will be packaging the icons and unity assets all together in a single mod. To this end I will be creating a new GitHub page for FarmLifeMod2. Farm Life v1 will continue to be a separate and incompatible mod with v2.

After thinking about all the great things in the first version, I think it’s about as much content as you can add without custom icons. It’s really hard looking at 20 raw meats all colored differently ;)

Merging things also make it easier for me to validate changes outside of the game and spend less time in drawn out debug sessions. I’m able to pull a lot of validation logic into my tool that wasn’t really possible before.

Speaking of tools, I have successfully been going down the route of templated xml files. I’m able to generate almost half of the items.xml that existed in v1. I only have to deal with less than 1/10th of the xml I used to manually manage. Less bugs and less testing :)

For modders or other curious folks I’ll be uploading a preview of the new xml data and some screen shots of my tool.

So basically I won’t have any xpath anymore except appends. The templates I have are more like proper object inheritance in an OO world, not the whatever extends node does today lol

Mostly it allows me to only modify xml in one place and affect groups of items. But in a much simpler and less error prone way. With 200 items it’s very difficult to make bulk changes. When I have over 2000 items it would be a complete nightmare to manage or make bulk changes.

Xpath is currently limited in the sense that you cannot evaluate an xpath and assign it’s result. You can only use it for doing selects or filters.

So for farm life I plan to have all food and water values be based on all the time and ingredients spent crafting them. Can’t do that with xpath ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Essentially I’ll have some levers I can twist and make complicated changes to the xml values in ways xpath can’t do.

Stasis! It's Jayick :) I apologize for not coming here a bit sooner. Been rather busy! I am the creator of Farming Modlet, and I'd love to work with you in whatever you need to make our two mods compatible together! And also share my future ideas on this modlet, so that we might be able to compliment each others projects :D

I love this work! I just got a chance to check it out now, and it's amazing! Very indepth and so much to it. I more focused on the assets in mine, then the actual core of it all, specifically the animals, they are getting lots of focus (main focus mostly :D ). But I'd absolutely love to get in contact with you, and see what we can both do to make these projects work for the community :)

I apologize for not frequenting here, I'm a bit busy in real life, and mostly operate on reddit/discord/nexus. But I wanted to take a chance tonight and reach out to you.

This is awesome, I run mods from both of you (Firearms/Farmlife) and to see Jayick making a farming mod as well was great. Even better that both of them are being made to work together! The amazing animal assets from Jay's and the utterly mad depth of Stasis78's crafting are an astounding combo. A teamup for FarmLifeMod2 MUST happen :)

Stasis! It's Jayick :) I apologize for not coming here a bit sooner. Been rather busy! I am the creator of Farming Modlet, and I'd love to work with you in whatever you need to make our two mods compatible together! And also share my future ideas on this modlet, so that we might be able to compliment each others projects :D

I love this work! I just got a chance to check it out now, and it's amazing! Very indepth and so much to it. I more focused on the assets in mine, then the actual core of it all, specifically the animals, they are getting lots of focus (main focus mostly :D ). But I'd absolutely love to get in contact with you, and see what we can both do to make these projects work for the community :)

I apologize for not frequenting here, I'm a bit busy in real life, and mostly operate on reddit/discord/nexus. But I wanted to take a chance tonight and reach out to you.

This is a great example of the awesomeness of 7dtd kidding community. Both yours and stasis78 mods are amazing and i wanted both lol both offer me more stuff lol so yeh hope you both didn't mind or find it rude of me to make both compatible.

Only 2 things that cause issues.

1. The smoker same name

2. Tomato and tomatoes stuff

All depends on what extra stuff you both add to lol.

You both are awesome and look forward to what You both have planned next

I would suggest renaming all the crops with a specific type. i.e one of you would have roma tomatoes and the other could have celebrity tomatoes. Granny apples and red delicious. For the crafting stations, perhaps everyone agreeing on what tools to use in them or again differentiating the type. I prefer cabinet smokers but others prefer bullet smokers. I don't think having the same name will cause issues as long as the tools are the same. Might get some icon errors but nothing major.

This is a great example of the awesomeness of 7dtd kidding community. Both yours and stasis78 mods are amazing and i wanted both lol both offer me more stuff lol so yeh hope you both didn't mind or find it rude of me to make both compatible.

Only 2 things that cause issues.

1. The smoker same name

2. Tomato and tomatoes stuff

All depends on what extra stuff you both add to lol.

You both are awesome and look forward to what You both have planned next

Thankyou Stallion! Sadly when I developed/released my mod, I was a bit oblivious to what else was out there. I mostly operated on Nexus, so I didn't notice this beautiful work. But I think the direction we're both taking our mods is going to compliment each other greatly! I personally, am more focused on importing custom assets, and making my work very straight forward and to the point. Small packs of goodies, but while balancing it out to TFP's version and vision of the game. With Stasis here expanding further and further down the farming path, and myself headed the way of genetic mutations, I think these two projects would be perfect together.

I've already started renaming some items on my end, like Tomatoes over to Heirloom Tomatoes, and Smoker over to Rustic Smoker. Anything I can do to help make this awesome mod run with mine, I will :D

Thankyou Stallion! Sadly when I developed/released my mod, I was a bit oblivious to what else was out there. I mostly operated on Nexus, so I didn't notice this beautiful work. But I think the direction we're both taking our mods is going to compliment each other greatly! I personally, am more focused on importing custom assets, and making my work very straight forward and to the point. Small packs of goodies, but while balancing it out to TFP's version and vision of the game. With Stasis here expanding further and further down the farming path, and myself headed the way of genetic mutations, I think these two projects would be perfect together.

I've already started renaming some items on my end, like Tomatoes over to Heirloom Tomatoes, and Smoker over to Rustic Smoker. Anything I can do to help make this awesome mod run with mine, I will :D

I’ll be renaming Frying Pan to Caste Iron Skillet and also changing the Smoker to Cold Smoker. Hopefully that will eliminate issues in the future with other those items :)

Archived