Thoughts on the balancing and changes in b221

InSanity

Anyone getting weird xp results from Zed's? I got 4 xp from a snow zed. Four.

That was on a dedi.

I got 156 in sp on a regular zed. 550 on another. What's the factor changing this, or is it bugged? The 156 took fall damage prior to me killing it... That would make sense, except it happened to other Zed's as well.

I tested arrow softening first, sometimes got full xp with the finishing move, sometimes not.

Am I going insane?

I like that the pistol finally does more damage than the wooden bow with stone arrows, does a bit less than the wooden bow with steel. I am not a fan of the massivly upped power attack stam costs, and the stam regen delay after one for 5-10 seconds. Makes power attacks bascally unuseable. Stam power attack with 1 in sex t-rex is like, 80+ stam with the sledge. However, they did double the base headshot bonus, so it balances out, I just hate the impact on mining this will have, as even with power attacks in b208 it was slow, its going to be even worse now.

Is it just me or is it easier now to kill a Z with power attack (iron club) on insane?

(Killed some lumberjack‘s on day 1 around lunchtime)

Headshot base bonus was changed from 50% to 100%, before you needed 2 in skullcrusher, to hit 100% so there is that. Not needing to use power attacks to kill fast with melee with a slegde means on nomad I can go around stealth and 1 shot alot of the zeds with normal attacks with the sledge. Might up diffculty a bit I think.

Better loot means you get higher quality item from loot instead of crafting. Higher quality means you can add more mods. Also, you could find better items long before you could craft them. Seems like a huge advantage. Remove this and looting becomes even more pointless because you can craft/buy everything instead of loot. Exploration destroyed...

Looting works on gamestage, the lucky goggles for example have a loot bonus of 50, which means spawned loot will be 50 gamestage higher than what you actually are. Lucky Looter used to add 50, then 100 (or 150) then 200 or 300 to loot bonus with lvs 3,4 and 5. Still does not guarnteed best loot, just highest chance. It also doesn't really increase stack numbers you get in loot at all, which imo it should even if its a little.

And I thought you understood what experimental was for. The problem is that people are wanting TFP to make changes and reverse decisions immediately based on minimal exposure.

Which you have determined via gut feeling based upon your own playstyle rather than via exhaustive testing? I think we see that you aren't really interested in exhaustive testing so much as you are having it your way. I've been using the power attack perfectly well for the past week because when the change was implemented I stopped ONLY using the power attack.

Because you wanted it? Sorry but exhaustive testing on that point is still in progress.

Sometimes.... bad decisions just are immediately apparent.

There were some optimizations. The game seems to be running better for some people and the same for others. The BIG optimization they are planning is risky and will change some systems so they removed it before releasing this update so they can keep working on solving the bugs it creates.

For myself, I switched between 221 and 208 a couple of times this past weekend and it 221 was much better for me plus smoother.

I am curious what the big optimization is now, you got me intersted. Sounds pretty major from what your saying there with multiple systems being impacted by it. I think the problem is people need to learn that the better a game gets the better your hardware needs to be, I still get the same 60 fps I always did in any a17e build that I used to get in b16.4.

Samsung evo 860 1gb ssd

I5-7500 3.4ghz quad core

Geforce 1070.

Win 10 64-bit.

Oh yes I did. I went in to play as normal and when I went to make Steel I was like wait a minute this is slower then preSkills

Ok, I did test it. You probably discovered it yourself by now, but Intelligence works correctly making crafting faster. And the changelog is wrong.

At Int 1 i could build a molotov cocktail in 41 seconds

At Int 4 I needed only 31 seconds

And at Int 7 it took only 21 seconds.

Anyone getting weird xp results from Zed's? I got 4 xp from a snow zed. Four.

That was on a dedi.

I got 156 in sp on a regular zed. 550 on another. What's the factor changing this, or is it bugged? The 156 took fall damage prior to me killing it... That would make sense, except it happened to other Zed's as well.

I tested arrow softening first, sometimes got full xp with the finishing move, sometimes not.

Am I going insane?

Any xp that would put you over the amount to the next level is lost. If you were 554 xp away from next level and killed a zombie it would give 550 xp...the next one would award only 4...and a level up. If instead you'd killed one of the 800 xp zombies, it would have given you 554...and a level up.

Any xp that would put you over the amount to the next level is lost. If you were 554 xp away from next level and killed a zombie it would give 550 xp...the next one would award only 4...and a level up. If instead you'd killed one of the 800 xp zombies, it would have given you 554...and a level up.

Um, I'm pretty sure the xp isn't "lost", it's just not in the onscreen popup.

I am curious what the big optimization is now, you got me intersted. Sounds pretty major from what your saying there with multiple systems being impacted by it. I think the problem is people need to learn that the better a game gets the better your hardware needs to be, I still get the same 60 fps I always did in any a17e build that I used to get in b16.4.

Samsung evo 860 1gb ssd

I5-7500 3.4ghz quad core

Geforce 1070.

Win 10 64-bit.

Occlusion culling:

gmdbauq.png

Not sure when but tests have shown 10 to 30% increases. I think older hardware is suffering more because of all the overdraw when inside a POI because they are more detailed you are drawing layer after layer. We are adding a culling system.

That was Madmole a few days ago, and if you do a forum search they started talking about adding a occlusion culling system two years ago.

For me is frustating that isn't in game yet since it's a basic subsystem in every open world game and seems even more importand in this voxel game in particular. Yes, I understand optimizations come at final stages and this is just an alpha, but also this is not an ordinary early access game: they have 10.000 average people playing every day for so many hours. In my opinion performance needs to be a big priority now.

That can't be true, right gazz? Right?

That can't be true, right gazz? Right?

I don't think it's quite right.

If you're XP 900 and level up is 1000, killing a 700 Zed would mean you level up and it will show 600 XP gained. The missing 100 is still gained, it's just not shown as you cross the threshold of levelling up so you see the balance of 600 XP. That's afaik.

Occlusion culling <snipped for space>

Yeah, this would be my guess too.

There is actually a toggle option in the .ini file called "POICulling" but it does not seem to do anything at the moment.

(Actually, there are multiple graphics options in the .ini that are either leftovers or not implemented yet, it seems)

Archived