name change in the future?

suicidalhamster

while its still labeled as "7 days to die", i suggest its probably time for the name to be changed in accordance with the gameplay/style. i will miss "7 days to die" but, overall, i dont hate the new ''7 days to level". its just too bad that the Pimps created a whole new game complete with new concepts and ideas and completely abandoned the style that has gotten them this far. definitely miss doing things other than finding ways to level up.

There is nothing forcing you to lvl.But, ofc , all of you want max lvl/max weapons/best base by day 21, then start complaining that there is nothing left to do...

The game forces us to level now to get access to the items/materials we want to use. People have different opinions than yours on how to play this game and it is only natural to have disappointed when those opportunities are taken away with little to no warning that the game was going to change so drastically. I enjoy A17e, but I still feel I enjoyed A16.4 more. Just my opinion and that won't change the development path of TFP.

There is nothing forcing you to lvl.But, ofc , all of you want max lvl/max weapons/best base by day 21, then start complaining that there is nothing left to do...

The game itself obviously pushes you to level to unlock content - since recipe perks are into the leveling system. The thing is, if xp sources are well balanced (which is not easy) and the players' actions come more "naturally" since everything will contribute to leveling equally and this will be much less prevalent.

Also the GS being tied to leveling being a reason not to level is counter-intuitive design, because the game pushes you to level and penalizes you at the same time. Not saying GS/leveling should be scrapped but I think global time will have to enter the equation again, so that it's a bit less of a factor.

while its still labeled as "7 days to die", i suggest its probably time for the name to be changed in accordance with the gameplay/style. i will miss "7 days to die" but, overall, i dont hate the new ''7 days to level". its just too bad that the Pimps created a whole new game complete with new concepts and ideas and completely abandoned the style that has gotten them this far. definitely miss doing things other than finding ways to level up.

Alpha 7 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. Block terrain was replaced with smooth in the largest bait and switch maneuver Minecraft fans who came over to try "Adult Minecraft" had ever seen.

Alpha 11 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. XP was introduced for the first time. Never in 10 alpha's previous had there been any sort of XP earned by playing. You just played to play.

Alpha 12 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. Crafting method was completely overhauled and the user interface was changed completely.

Alpha 15 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. Spam crafting was made possible to a degree never before seen and for the first time nobody started playing the actual game until a few days of huddling somewhere filling up crate after crate with stone axes.

Alpha 17 is a change that completely abandoned the style that got them this far. Again.

And yet....I still find myself crafting items I need, harvesting materials I need, looting places of interest, building a base or reinforcing an existing building and building a defense, and trying not to die each 7th day when the blood moon rises.

There was nothing forcing people to loot in A16, but that is how you unlocked things like the mini-bike, etc. There is nothing forcing people to level in A17, but that is how you unlock things like the min-bike, etc.

It's kind of an absurd argument. No one's forcing you to do the thing that unlocks the things you want to do?

While this thread is titled "name change in the future?", I suggest it's probably time for the thread to be changed in accordance with the tone of the post. I may miss "name change in the future?" but, I don't hate the new "Maudlin Rage For Today". It's just too bad that suicidalhamster posted a whole different concept and completely abandoned the subject/title that had gotten him this far. Definitely miss doing other things than shuffling my feet, staring at the floor and moping about.

-Morloc

There was nothing forcing people to loot in A16, but that is how you unlocked things like the mini-bike, etc. There is nothing forcing people to level in A17, but that is how you unlock things like the min-bike, etc.

It's kind of an absurd argument. No one's forcing you to do the thing that unlocks the things you want to do?

Speed. That is the quibble. Nothing forces people to try and level to unlock things like the mini-bike.....on or before day 10. It's perfectly playable to unlock the mini-bike somewhere between days 40-60 if you like and if you aren't increasing your levels at top speed then it will take that long to reach the point where the mini-bike unlocks. The people who say that the game is forcing them to do things are those who want to get to high level and unlock everything in order to start playing because everything below the top of the progression ladder is seen as boring and tedious to them.

Speed. That is the quibble. Nothing forces people to try and level to unlock things like the mini-bike.....on or before day 10. It's perfectly playable to unlock the mini-bike somewhere between days 40-60 if you like and if you aren't increasing your levels at top speed then it will take that long to reach the point where the mini-bike unlocks. The people who say that the game is forcing them to do things are those who want to get to high level and unlock everything in order to start playing because everything below the top of the progression ladder is seen as boring and tedious to them.

Exactly the issue with some people. Luckily, I'm the exact opposite. Once I get to a point where I have everything and I'm unkillable I want to start over. I play dead is dead and if there is no chance of dying... why play?

Honest questions:

You don't find it boring and tedious to walk everywhere when you know that just a few days of zombie farming will get you transportation?

You don't find it boring and tedious to use stone tools when just a few days of zombie farming will get you iron tools, then steel?

I am honestly not making these questions as snide remarks or rhetorical. I genuinely would like to know because I personally think it's a tad boring myself and I assume others do too because it keeps getting brought up daily here.

Alpha 7 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. Block terrain was replaced with smooth in the largest bait and switch maneuver Minecraft fans who came over to try "Adult Minecraft" had ever seen.

Alpha 11 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. XP was introduced for the first time. Never in 10 alpha's previous had there been any sort of XP earned by playing. You just played to play.

Alpha 12 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. Crafting method was completely overhauled and the user interface was changed completely.

Alpha 15 was a change that completely abandoned the style that got them that far. Spam crafting was made possible to a degree never before seen and for the first time nobody started playing the actual game until a few days of huddling somewhere filling up crate after crate with stone axes.

Alpha 17 is a change that completely abandoned the style that got them this far. Again.

And yet....I still find myself crafting items I need, harvesting materials I need, looting places of interest, building a base or reinforcing an existing building and building a defense, and trying not to die each 7th day when the blood moon rises.

This is all well and good, but the game has been in alpha for how many years now? Don't you think that at some point they need to stop changing directions and focus on finishing the product and shipping it?

This is all well and good, but the game has been in alpha for how many years now? Don't you think that at some point they need to stop changing directions and focus on finishing the product and shipping it?

Summons Inner Roland:

You will be glad to know that the DEV's have finalized their direction and working towards finishing and shipping the product. Hopefully the final product will align to your taste but if not you can explore the various mods that may cater to your specific playstyle. I like math.

Summons Inner Roland:

You will be glad to know that the DEV's have finalized their direction and working towards finishing and shipping the product. Hopefully the final product will align to your taste but if not you can explore the various mods that may cater to your specific playstyle. I like math.

Make sure you copy paste this for after A18 too, just joking around lol

Summons Inner Roland:

More like:

I was being facetious when I said "change that completely abandoned." That's what it looked like to those who feel this way. Those who understand alpha-phase development know that it means that the devs were introducing more of what they intend for the game. I should have added emojis to make that clear.

You still don't seem to get it.

It is not about the speed at which you get the items, it's the way you get them.

It used to be exiting to find the mini bike book, it is not any more because you need to have x points in x skill at x level.

I used to like it when you had to find the forge book, remember?

That is what it is about, the excitement of finding and unlocking things, not gain xp and spend your points wisely kids.

It's boring now.

Also bugs like keep hitting stuff after you release the mouse button, effectively blowing you up when a gas barrel spawns from a crate, doesn't really help it being much fun.

Yeah ofc no one forces you to get a minibike asap. But who the heck wants to walk everywhere all the time?

This has nothing to do with beeing on top of the progress ladder.

Telling people to level slowly on intention when EVERYTHING is levelgated is a pretty stupid answer.

Especially when you have quests that leave you no choice than to kill if you want the reward items

and a backpack that needs XP to get it to an acceptable size wich is again hidden behind minimum requirements.

Sure. Leveling too fast is the problem, not the game design. Mhmm, must be it.

Honest questions:

You don't find it boring and tedious to walk everywhere when you know that just a few days of zombie farming will get you transportation?

You don't find it boring and tedious to use stone tools when just a few days of zombie farming will get you iron tools, then steel?

I am honestly not making these questions as snide remarks or rhetorical. I genuinely would like to know because I personally think it's a tad boring myself and I assume others do too because it keeps getting brought up daily here.

Honest answers:

The early game is my absolute favorite part of the game. I usually stay within a one km area of the trader and (hopefully) a town. I will spend weeks methodically looting the town, getting a mine going, getting a garden going, and working on my base while I live in a sturdy POI. No rush and no it's not tedious enough to make me lose interest. Of course it is more tedious than using better tools with great perks. But that is what I like..feeling the difference. I like playing at primitive level for a good amount of time so that when I start spending points on perks I feel the difference. When I find that ergonomic grip and add it to my stone axe I see the difference. Honestly, I play mostly the same as how I did before there was ever any levels or xp or anything. Back then you played the game at the same level of tedious from start to finish.

Now, I'm not saying this as a snide remark but honestly sometimes I think that people on this forum emotionally and intellectually actually believe that everyone in the world likes what they like and dislikes what they dislike. The world is vaster than that.

Honest answers:

The early game is my absolute favorite part of the game. I usually stay within a one km area of the trader and (hopefully) a town. I will spend weeks methodically looting the towns, getting a mine going, getting a garden going, and working on my base while I live in a sturdy POI. No rush and no it's not tedious enough to make me lose interest. Of course it is more tedious than using better tools with great perks. But that is what I like..feeling the difference. I like playing at primitive level for a good amount of time so that when I start spending points on perks I feel the difference. When I find that ergonomic grip and add it to my stone axe I see the difference. Honestly, I play mostly the same as how I did before there was ever any levels or xp or anything. Back then you played the game at the same level of tedious from start to finish.

Now, I'm not saying this as a snide remark but honestly sometimes I think that people on this forum emotionally and intellectually actually believe that everyone in the world likes what they like and dislikes what they dislike. The world is vaster than that.

Yeah, I can get that everyone plays differently. I'm more about exploration, finding that perfect spot to make a storage base, kill pit, and mine in the same general area that has multiple towns within a quick ride distance. I love the looting of POIs as well.

I totally understand what you mean about people thinking that everyone enjoys the EXACT same things as them. I have only been advocating for TFP to give us builders/miners some love back lol.

Archived