name change in the future?

suicidalhamster

Honestly I find I'm leveling really quickly. I'm still frigging annoyed I can't craft a basic catwalk without being level 30 or finding a table saw (seriously? It's like the most basic thing! RIP early treehouse :( )

My biggest gripe is still that stupid, punishing stamina bar (ugh early game is THE WORST) and that gathering materials is so hard and takes so long now. I have time to build a base, but I don't have a week to pant and groan my way through digging with a stone axe while zombies constantly aggro to me and dig up the landscape.

I feel your pain. But OMG you aren't really serious about building a treehouse are you. Have you seen what zombies do to trees now. RIP treehouse any time in the game.

As Zadwanaa points out, not necessarily on Day 1, but very early in A16. One time, I chose to build a big base (underground portion for uninterrupted work and aboveground portion for fighting), so I started by digging it out every night. Since we had a forge Day 1, I quickly improved my tools, and by the end of the first week I was level 60. We had steel shortly after the first horde night, and a concrete base for the first one.

All that to say: Progression was super easy.

Was this Single Player or Multi Player. You start by saying I, then continue with We. I play solo for the most part and I have never achieved level 60 in the first week, nowhere near it in fact.

Was this Single Player or Multi Player. You start by saying I, then continue with We. I play solo for the most part and I have never achieved level 60 in the first week, nowhere near it in fact.

It was MP, of a sort. We played on a dedi, but they were not around to help. I dug and built the whole base myself (easy to do without much zombie interference thanks to the poor AI). I was able to achieve it because mining xp was boinked, and there was a lot of animals so that I wasn't hungry. Seriously, I would gain a level after digging only one row for the aboveground foundation.

You say that you were unable to achieve this. Were you singularly focused on digging out a huge base? I mean, this thing probably was 100x100, conservatively.

It was MP, of a sort. We played on a dedi, but they were not around to help. I dug and built the whole base myself (easy to do without much zombie interference thanks to the poor AI). I was able to achieve it because mining xp was boinked, and there was a lot of animals so that I wasn't hungry. Seriously, I would gain a level after digging only one row for the aboveground foundation.

You say that you were unable to achieve this. Were you singularly focused on digging out a huge base? I mean, this thing probably was 100x100, conservatively.

No, I was not singularly focused on a huge base at that point of the game. I was mining, exploring POI's and killing Z's.

Whenever i start playing, I always start the game solo. My friends usually join me later, usually after the first horde night or just later in the playthrough.

Everyone plays differently, doesn't mean its right or wrong, just different. Digging / Mining in A16 was the best way to get XP... seems like they switched mining & zombie killing for A17. With or without an auger, mining was such amazing XP. I'd start day 2 or 3 working on a pit, because why waste time killing zombies during horde night, amirite?! By horde night, i would have a pit down to bedrock dug out, 4 - 6 forges going... 4 of which making cement mix the other 2 smelting metals

By the time the underground base or pit is finished... I would have steel.

Whenever i start playing, I always start the game solo. My friends usually join me later, usually after the first horde night or just later in the playthrough.

Everyone plays differently, doesn't mean its right or wrong, just different. Digging / Mining in A16 was the best way to get XP... seems like they switched mining & zombie killing for A17. With or without an auger, mining was such amazing XP. I'd start day 2 or 3 working on a pit, because why waste time killing zombies during horde night, amirite?! By horde night, i would have a pit down to bedrock dug out, 4 - 6 forges going... 4 of which making cement mix the other 2 smelting metals

By the time the underground base or pit is finished... I would have steel.

I played this way as well, except I never lived underground. I would start a mine instead of a pit, then start the build of a nice above ground base and a kill pit for horde night. I've hidden from a few horde nights when I was new but after those few I played specifically to build awesome kill pits and horde night bases. Man I loved that about this game. Not so much anymore, now for me it's kill zombies to unlock levels, strengthen prefabs, rinse repeat. It really is kind of losing it's playability to me because it seems passive bases are the only way to go for horde night. It feels like the days of building kill zones to fight them head on are in the past. Hopefully the balances and tweaking fixes that.

I dont dig like that, i dig out the chunk and collapse it using the SI system (doing this ususly borks the game in multiplayer to be honest, did it in a16 and demolished several buildings, thier billboards remained so they were there from a distance but when you get close they dissappeard

I dont dig like that, i dig out the chunk and collapse it using the SI system (doing this ususly borks the game in multiplayer to be honest, did it in a16 and demolished several buildings, thier billboards remained so they were there from a distance but when you get close they dissappeard

I do that when I'm just digging out a pit, but this was a series of rooms and a central column connecting the underground portion with the aboveground killing area. Plus, I was digging it somewhat stealthily (at least the column part) and strategically so as to prevent the zombies interrupting my work. I didn't want a nighttime horde or screamer crowd bothering me.

I do that when I'm just digging out a pit, but this was a series of rooms and a central column connecting the underground portion with the aboveground killing area. Plus, I was digging it somewhat stealthily (at least the column part) and strategically so as to prevent the zombies interrupting my work. I didn't want a nighttime horde or screamer crowd bothering me.

I do it regardless of size of pit usualy finding that most of the blocks in the structure need to be air anyways, that and i like building the entire base as one large project rather tha piece by piece.

As far as stealth goes, no real issue dealing with zombies at night, once lights are setup so i can see its just the same old same old combat. About 75% of my games over the last few alphas have been alway running zombies anyway so day or night has much less meaning.

Why exactly is the level system needed beyond slowing the game down? 7 days to die is probably the best voxel building game around, if i want to play an mmorpg or arpg i can do that.

Making the leveling system an option would makes the game serve a wider range of players and adds replay value. We used to have a bnuch of options like this to tweak the player experiance, not sure who removing them actually serves.

Its about gating progress to provide a sense of achievement over taking the next step in the game. Minecraft, a massively popular open world game, doesnt use levels but diamond tools are still gated behind your ability to reach and find those pesky diamonds. When you do find them there is a sense of accomplishment.

Progression can be achieved through various methods:

-usage of something (ie A16 archery)

-experience levels (day to day stuff)

-exploration (finding recipes and/or schematics)

Personally, i would love a combination of all 3 and have some personality/physical skills gated with levels.

Its about gating progress to provide a sense of achievement over taking the next step in the game. Minecraft, a massively popular open world game, doesnt use levels but diamond tools are still gated behind your ability to reach and find those pesky diamonds. When you do find them there is a sense of accomplishment.

Progression can be achieved through various methods:

-usage of something (ie A16 archery)

-experience levels (day to day stuff)

-exploration (finding recipes and/or schematics)

Personally, i would love a combination of all 3 and have some personality/physical skills gated with levels.

Thats great and all, still not seeing why it cant be an option to disable it.

As far as progression ect i did prefer a16 (learn by use) than what we have now, this is a much narrower system that i personaly dislike. (I didnt mind so much the level gating in a16, dislike the idea of anything longer/higher though)

As for gating crafting recipes: player levels for this sucks, just makes people grind, exploration (looting) was a bit better, better still would have somthing like you said more akin to Minecraft: only gate crafting somthing by getting its componants.

I get that the developers want to introduce more RPG elements, id just like somthing with a little more deapth than a fallout ripoff

Project zomboid springs to mind as a good example, building your charcter there you give them a former profession, some traits (some good, some crippling) and these settings make a huge impact on the gameplay. Was your survior deaf before the zombie apocalypse?

Thats great and all, still not seeing why it cant be an option to disable it.

As far as progression ect i did prefer a16 (learn by use) than what we have now, this is a much narrower system that i personaly dislike. (I didnt mind so much the level gating in a16, dislike the idea of anything longer/higher though)

As for gating crafting recipes: player levels for this sucks, just makes people grind, exploration (looting) was a bit better, better still would have somthing like you said more akin to Minecraft: only gate crafting somthing by getting its componants.

I get that the developers want to introduce more RPG elements, id just like somthing with a little more deapth than a fallout ripoff

Project zomboid springs to mind as a good example, building your charcter there you give them a former profession, some traits (some good, some crippling) and these settings make a huge impact on the gameplay. Was your survior deaf before the zombie apocalypse?

seeing as levelling is a progression method, i dont see removing it as being an option. its a core system to the game. i would just apply it differently. maybe the pimps will change it. have to wait and see

i really like the idea of creating a backstory to your character and having that influence your future story. creates a good sense of immersion into an apocalyptic world and will make a huge impact on your specialization choices. do you choose to spec to your character's existing strengths or do you choose to try and mitigate your weaknesses?

Archived