The absolute biggest problem with A17 (and I guarantee I'm right) is....

Ghostlight

I've been griping to Gazz for weeks now to increase early game firearm damage and nerf zombie kill xp 30%, and double passive XP gains, at least roughly. I'd do it but I'm busy overhauling the entire economy right now because by the time you can afford a gun or something cool you can craft your own better one and most prices are just all over the place making traders pretty much worthless. I'm going to stock them with building supplies, more ammo, more meds, more food, etc. Its not going to be a one stop shop for everything you need, but they aren't going to be worthless any more.

Stock them with mods while your at it.

Disagree. Still play on highest difficulty. And while I got surprised once or twice, its not much harder. (Easier in some aspects, because zombies are slower and easier to kite)

The problem I have is that it took all the fun out of A16.

Subjective. A17 is the most fun version I have played since A5. It is an absolute blast and especially with my family members we feel that we need to work together more than in the past. There are definitely aspects that are tougher for me but I really enjoy that challenge.

Building got nerfed hard

I disagree. Old building methods are no longer perfectly effective and there are new building methods that are more effective waiting to be discovered. I have a method that works amazingly well and I haven't seen it shared yet and it involves a moat. This is part of why this version is so fun. It reminds me of when I first started and explored different base designs to find what worked. For the past several alphas there has been no need for innovation or new creativity because what works best has been known. Finally we have people posting again that building a base is impossible alongside threads of people sharing their new strategies. It's been so long since anyone thought building was impossible.

Limb explosions are locked behind perks

er...buy the perk and there you go.

Level-gates completely take away the freedom to be whoever you want to be

Disagree. I don't like them either but I can still be whoever I want to be. I've specialized at least four different ways now and those games felt quite different for it. I pick one primary attribute and one supporting and I only spend points in those two. It is a blast and introduces interesting challenges. I have no problem with playing as a nomad, building a base underground or above ground, fortifying POI's, whatever.

Everything is slower (in a few parts its actually nice to have an early game, but a lot just feels sluggish and punishing)

Obviously we have different playstyles. I like a slow progression and I enjoy the part of the game when I am vulnerable so it is a great deal of fun for me. If the level gates were gone I would have more freedom to jump ahead to certain perks if I wanted during different playthroughs so I'm for their removal and will probably play a mod that removes them when I am in the mood for something else but I still haven't explored the entire gamespace offered by the attributes and perks and quests all in addition to surviving.

I've been griping to Gazz for weeks now to increase early game firearm damage and nerf zombie kill xp 30%, and double passive XP gains, at least roughly. I'd do it but I'm busy overhauling the entire economy right now because by the time you can afford a gun or something cool you can craft your own better one and most prices are just all over the place making traders pretty much worthless. I'm going to stock them with building supplies, more ammo, more meds, more food, etc. Its not going to be a one stop shop for everything you need, but they aren't going to be worthless any more.

If this was stated a week ago, there would be about 500 fewer complaint posts in /General.

If this was stated a week ago, there would be about 500 fewer complaint posts in /General.

Not really. There would be just as many complaints that choose to ignore what he said and continue to go off on their rawr-rant, or say he should have said it a week ago.

...that people think they can play on the same difficulty they always have.

You can't.

We used to play max difficulty in A16. We have had to drop to difficulty 3 (or normal) for A17.

And it's fine. Horde night is fine. All our old base designs are working fine. Building is as viable as it's always been.

In fact the only thing that is not fine is that OUTSIDE of horde night, difficulty 3 is too easy. Slight balance tweak needed is all.

POIs are harder and the fact that I had 2 cops on day 7 which tore through my puny defenses pretty quickly. I wouldn't call it a problem though.

As long as they have a good chance of having a beaker, engine, and food, i'd say that's a pretty huge step up in how useful they are. Right now, I go to the trader for iron, oil, and steel mostly to repair tools I can't make and to make molotovs to survive BM. Beakers are a huge RNG gate and the trader is a good place of last resort (or first resort) to obtain them.

As long as they have a good chance of having a beaker, engine, and food, i'd say that's a pretty huge step up in how useful they are. Right now, I go to the trader for iron, oil, and steel mostly to repair tools I can't make and to make molotovs to survive BM. Beakers are a huge RNG gate and the trader is a good place of last resort (or first resort) to obtain them.

Airdrops as well. I got my first beaker in house loot, got my next two in a single airdrop. D11 I have 3.

I play a builder type and I’ll admit I’m struggling exp wise. So I’m super happy to see madmole address the issue and say they are going to look at it.

However I disagree with those that say that builders are risk free. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve been jumped! The thing with fighter types is when you go into a house you expect to find zombies you can control the difficulty by assessing the size and type of building.

Builders have 2 issues the first is being randomly jumped while not paying attention, sometimes it’s just an odd roamer other times it’s a pack of feral’s and no amount of hiding in the house is gonna save you especially if your lower level.

Not to mention screamers... builders have to judge their heat and deal with the constant screamers fail to get one before it gets you and you have a horde of god knows what!

The builder style play is not safe! Me and my husband play together I’m level 15 or so he’s 30 he’s off fighting and looting if I get jumped or a heat horde honestly I have worse skill (both player and character) worse weapons and generally less ability to deal with it. Generally I simply die and then have to cope with death sickness... but sometimes I actually manage to run away, I almost never kill whatever got me.

I decided to adapt with the fast gamestagerise and avoid first week killing zeds as much as i can.

I also primarily accept treasure hunting quests instead of clear/loot ones, because the houses are packed with many Xp.

That way i get precious booty and still remain on lower Levels.

Edit: Tfp want us to actually go out and venture the World, not staring at rocktextures, mining somewhere in no-where.

I play a builder type and I’ll admit I’m struggling exp wise. So I’m super happy to see madmole address the issue and say they are going to look at it.

The builder style play is not safe! Me and my husband play together I’m level 15 or so he’s 30 he’s off fighting and looting.

You can increase the killing & quest exp-range of partymembers up to 10k Km which is practically half of the map and if its just you two- pretty sufficient. That way you wont be left behind in terms of levels

This. And Cooking Pots.

I decided to adapt with the fast gamestagerise and avoid first week killing zeds as much as i can.

I also primarily accept treasure hunting quests instead of clear/loot ones, because the houses are packed with many Xp.

That way i get precious booty and still remain on lower Levels..

I found this to be a mistake. There are many key perks gated behind level (20, 30, 40 etc) that greatly increase player "firepower" in a non-linear fashion (e.g the stat point that increases your melee damage to where it knocks down on first hit and ultimately 2- or 3-shots the basic zombies is a super valuable stat point, so you want to get to that point asap - same with the point that gives you concrete, or Steel etc etc).

Yes your gamestage rises quicker but you are considerably more able to deal with it.

If you really want to control GS just kill yourself in a controlled way (eg at your base when the debuff will have least effect). Death hugely reduces it (too much imo).

That way i get precious booty and still remain on lower Levels.

Edit: Tfp want us to actually go out and venture the World, not staring at rocktextures, mining somewhere in no-where.

This encapsulates the problem with A17.

We get published for trying our best.

Instead of getting rewarded for beeing lvl 30 with good damage, they increase the difficulty.

Level should not (or only very marginally) influence the gamestage. I want to feel good about my progress, not regret levelling to the level I have fun at.

...that people think they can play on the same difficulty they always have.

You can't.

We used to play max difficulty in A16. We have had to drop to difficulty 3 (or normal) for A17.

And it's fine. Horde night is fine. All our old base designs are working fine. Building is as viable as it's always been.

In fact the only thing that is not fine is that OUTSIDE of horde night, difficulty 3 is too easy. Slight balance tweak needed is all.

Another topic asuming the complains are about difficulty.

I KNOW I need to make a maze of non important materials or funnel zombnies to cheese the AI now instead of doing a cool base. I just DONT like it. It's not hard, its unfun.

Same with the amount of zombies and combat. It's not hard, actually I find it easier than in a16. I dont know why but after a few perks my wood club destroys zombies so fast. But the ammount of zombies and combat needed is too much, its freaking boring. I want to fight sure, but I want to gather and build even more. And right now the game totally tries to focus on the fighting.

Between A17-E vs A16 (non-modded) I would go A17-E for sure!

A17 has some gaming "Laws" I would say:

-Bandages or better, on your belt, always.

-Less than half your stamina and your life is in danger from an ambush.

-Many quest POI's are there to kill you. Go in EXPECTING to fight for your life.

-Heavy armor with the perks is a good thing... a real good thing.

Great :D I think this will to some degree address a number of issues.

Increased firearm damage, especially headshot (I'd still go for 2x or 3x default, then multiply by the perk headshot damage) would really make a difference. As opposed to now needing to shoot a zombie 3 times in the head with a rifle before he's toast :p

Being able to get more ammo easily I think is needed. That will allow us to actually make use of all the cool gun crafted mods, which I think are super awesome. I got a nice ak-47 with a reflex, extended magazine, bipod, cripple shots, but if I only got 50 or 100 rounds I won't do more than single tap or even just use my marksman.

What I would also love, is a way for the trader to sell pretty much ALL decorative blocks. Let me use all the signs, bathtubs, yadayada in my builds, even without going creative menu, or adding recipes for everything. Let us pimp our houses as cool as the POI's ya'll have been making for us!

:D

/V -

I know I'm late in response, but thank you for assuring me that it is at least being looked in to. That makes me fee a ton better for what it's worth!

I've been griping to Gazz for weeks now to increase early game firearm damage and nerf zombie kill xp 30%, and double passive XP gains, at least roughly.

ALL those changes are needed, great. After that just lower zombie block damage a bit so that real defenses are better than mazes, make their pathing a bit more random (so they dont all go on a line to the same point), and fix the quantity of zombies spawning in POIs, and I think we will finally have a great new alpha.

Clothes would be nice... we're finding it hard to get some even crappy clothes early on.

Archived