Zombie loot - negative economic review

felipebsr

If i knew zombies were not dropping loot, i would not have wasted hours playing today... serious that some people here are saying that zombies with loot is unrealistic? Did you guys notice some new buildings with cars as walls? Is that a new architecture trend or something related to the zombie apocalypse? I think the latter. Who are supposed to be living there? Bears or Bear Grylls? And the trading posts, are they just fancy bases for mad people with boredom issues or posts for travellers and other survivors? The simple existence off several "Trader Joe's" implies into an economy. Goods being traded between other survivors, otherwise there would be no new stocks. How would one perso keep all the supplies there if not by trade? (long term)

But what does it have to do with the zombie loot system? Unless there's a teleport system that brings safely in and out travelers between the trade posts, it's a safe assumption that some would die in the travels. Those would turn into zombies and could have goods with them. I mean, it's the zombie apocalypse here, i cannot imagine why would someone go for a hike without carrying some stuff. Some weapons or food at least to keep alive. It's disputable here wheter the bulk of zombies could be dead before the "game" started. Even there, i don't know how a cop or soldier zombie cannot have some guns with them!

Cannot go nazi over realism in a game that tha's got a blood moon. But as game mechanich, it removes to me the excitment to kill and loot zombies. Even if they dropped basic stuff, and very rarely some good loot, that would be more interesting than it is right now. Not to mention the bones... how are we supposed to make glue? It forces you to go into the buildings, but when you have dozens of players with the same idea, loot tends to end.

My opinion, feel free to disagree. but that's how i feel about this specific change. Other seems to be good.

This was irrelevant to realism. Do you know what inflation is? Zombies are infinite and created an overabundance of loot that was delivered right in front your door. That was the main reason (and the tediousness of looting 100 dead zombies after a BM). Zombies still drop loot, it's just a lot rarer but better.

This was irrelevant to realism. Do you know what inflation is? Zombies are infinite and created an overabundance of loot that was delivered right in front your door. That was the main reason (and the tediousness of looting 100 dead zombies after a BM). Zombies still drop loot, it's just a lot rarer but better.

I disagree the loot was hardly overabundance plus you could always change loot amounts in the game menu and you still can.

Also loot was tied to the specific type of zombie i.e. nurse maybe meds.. cop gun.. farmer hoe etc I personally enjoyed looting zombies

Well Rest got this first but I’ll just add that infinite delivery boys giving constant free goods forever is too much of a fantasy “economy system” than even my imagination can compensate for...

You should be able to easily increase the percentage and approach infinitity once again if that is your wish.

Of course as a case for escapism therapy from the cold uncaring economies of real life it may have some merit. How would life be different if I could quit my job and have endless hordes bring me Sham Sandwiches galore?

Probably more vomiting....

Well Rest got this first but I’ll just add that infinite delivery boys giving constant free goods forever is too much of a fantasy “economy system” than even my imagination can compensate for...

You should be able to easily increase the percentage and approach infinitity once again if that is your wish.

Of course as a case for escapism therapy from the cold uncaring economies of real life it may have some merit. How would life be different if I could quit my job and have endless hordes bring me Sham Sandwiches galore?

Probably more vomiting....

True I much prefer the nurses that drop a 12 gauge and ammo now lol realism for the win ;)

I thought I would hate the zombie lootless-ness, but after playing way too much the last week, I definitely love it.

Inventory management is a real thing now. And getting stuff like duct tape feels like a moment of actual excitement. If zombies were constantly dropping loot on me, it would be annoying. We used to just chuck half that stuff on the floor. Now everything feels much more valuable, especially as it is so long to unlock crafting. Cloth is exciting now for bandages, and bandages are useful again. Finding a beaker or a pot is time for a dance of celebration.

But zombies are still exciting, because xp is king.

And when zombies DO drop loot, it's usually excellent loot.

POIs are more lucrative now too.

Really, loot is in a much better state without everything being superabundant and delivered to your door via Zombie Prime.

There is Zombieloot :cocksure:

2 % (dont know exactly, just read it here) that they drop a bag. And this bag is better than the loot in A16 or earlier.

I had two bags of loot on my horde night. I got some jars of water. And then some more jars of water and a brass candlestick.

So... No, it's really not that much better. Going from an abundance of junk you can sell/scrap to extremely rare junk hasn't made the junk any more valuable. If they really want to make it a 2% drop rate, good items need to be guaranteed.

And personally, I'd rather just get the occasional piece of clothing, cash or other junk (which was themed and made sense to drop from the zombie that was carrying it) over having a rocket launcher dumped on the ground by some random nurse. It's jarring and honestly pretty stupid.

I disagree the loot was hardly overabundance plus you could always change loot amounts in the game menu and you still can.

Also loot was tied to the specific type of zombie i.e. nurse maybe meds.. cop gun.. farmer hoe etc I personally enjoyed looting zombies

Agreed. It made sense that I was going to potentially get biker pants off a biker zombie, and a hoe off a farmer, etc.

Let´s be honest. The only thing really worth to deal with all the bodies you gotta clean up, was guns. And they shower you with guns in A17. They are everyhwere from day 1. Had 9 firearms on day 3 in the morning. Including a .44. And i wasn´t even trying to get guns. I just played.

All the other loot was not so good tbh. Can all be found elsewhere easily.

Let´s be honest. The only thing really worth to deal with all the bodies you gotta clean up, was guns. And they shower you with guns in A17. They are everyhwere from day 1. Had 9 firearms on day 3 in the morning. Including a .44. And i wasn´t even trying to get guns. I just played.

The quality of the loot is irrelevant to me. If I kill a zombie, I want it's shiz too. Even if it's a green sammich. Furthermore, I want to hack it up for it's bones and fat.

The quality of the loot is irrelevant to me. If I kill a zombie, I want it's shiz too. Even if it's a green sammich. Furthermore, I want to hack it up for it's bones and fat.

You do realize that bones and fat just lie around everywhere? Loads of carcasses everywhere. I think it´s even more bones available now, at least very early in the game.

The problem is, that TFPs don't care about game design. That is an advantage as much as it is a disadvantage.

They think "nothing should be free", which sounds like something reasonable. But they ignore everything they dislike that would contradict their view.

Zombies always take some sort of action to kill/loot. Be it risking injuries/death in melee, ammo in ranged and resources in defence.

But I have stopped arguing, because no matter how sensible you are they have a "vision" for this game, so nothing you say holds any meaning to them.

Loot was removed/changed because the gore blocks you were looting were clobbering performance for some people (they never despawn until hacked up). And there was a dupe exploit associated with them as well.

Random gore blocks scatter the world now and give bones etc, but imo there are no enough of these. We are constantly short of bones.

I thought I would hate the zombie lootless-ness, but after playing way too much the last week, I definitely love it.

Inventory management is a real thing now. And getting stuff like duct tape feels like a moment of actual excitement. If zombies were constantly dropping loot on me, it would be annoying. We used to just chuck half that stuff on the floor. Now everything feels much more valuable, especially as it is so long to unlock crafting. Cloth is exciting now for bandages, and bandages are useful again. Finding a beaker or a pot is time for a dance of celebration.

But zombies are still exciting, because xp is king.

And when zombies DO drop loot, it's usually excellent loot.

POIs are more lucrative now too.

Really, loot is in a much better state without everything being superabundant and delivered to your door via Zombie Prime.

What up, my brother from another mother! I agree with everything you said.

I thought I would hate zombies not dropping loot, too. 30+ hours into A17 and the state of the loot game is better than its even been.

The problem is, that TFPs don't care about game design. That is an advantage as much as it is a disadvantage.

They think "nothing should be free", which sounds like something reasonable. But they ignore everything they dislike that would contradict their view.

Zombies always take some sort of action to kill/loot. Be it risking injuries/death in melee, ammo in ranged and resources in defence.

But I have stopped arguing, because no matter how sensible you are they have a "vision" for this game, so nothing you say holds any meaning to them.

Except that vision seem to have arbitrarily changed over time. But I agree that their complete lack of game design theory is both their strength and weakness. It's obvious they don't understand themselves what's made 7DTD so popular, but now it is and somehow they think pushing on like they've always did will work. Hopefully in their internal discussions at their office they will come to reason and focus on fun factors again instead of punishment factors.

On bones: There needs to be a viable and replenishing source for them –AKA proper loot containers that can respawn loot. A few carcasses strewn about are going to vanish within a few days on an active multiplayer server. It's a "Cars 2.0" situation. Hell even for a singleplayer game the current availability of bones tanks players who like to mass produce stuff.

How about giving the function of viable bones source to some of the more underwhelming (loot wise) POI, like the cemetaries and the funeral home?

What up, my brother from another mother! I agree with everything you said.

I thought I would hate zombies not dropping loot, too. 30+ hours into A17 and the state of the loot game is better than its even been.

Same here. My OCD required me to hack up every stinking zombie corpse in A16 (of course I always had max blade skill, phear my shiv!). A17 Ain't nobody got time fo'dat!

To other people - Yes, bones were an issue, which they very quickly fixed with the animal gore blocks.

Being as biofuel isn't a thing anymore, fat is a non-issue. I mean how many torches/candles does 1 really need?

On bones: There needs to be a viable and replenishing source for them –AKA proper loot containers that can respawn loot. A few carcasses strewn about are going to vanish within a few days on an active multiplayer server. It's a "Cars 2.0" situation. Hell even for a singleplayer game the current availability of bones tanks players who like to mass produce stuff.

How about giving the function of viable bones source to some of the more underwhelming (loot wise) POI, like the cemetaries and the funeral home?

Hmmm...didn't think about that. We seem to be the only group on the server we play on. There's always animals. Make zombie dogs great again!

False, it was all about the BONES for me... Have to make paper for shotgun shells to put in my turrets!

Like the idea of more bones in POIs. Also, how about adding it so that all zombies have an X% to drop a loot bag that has X amount of bones, rotten flesh, and fat?

Archived