The new hordes are ridiculous

Feycat

Our day 7 horde was set to the lowest possible number - eight. Because we're just starting out in this alpha and we want to get a feel for how to defend ourselves now. Log spikes are gone and block damage is up, so we designed a whole new base concept (worked pretty well, to be honest, and would have worked better, if the SETTINGS had worked!!) We were nervous and excited for the horde.

We got over 100 zombies. And not in trickles of 8 at a time per player (3 of us.) We got PILED ON. At one point, one of us fell off the shooting structure and had to run in circles, weaving in and our of barbed wire and spikes to get breathing room. There were 30+ zombies chasing him. Even if that was the horde for all three of us (and there were more NOT chasing him, still tangled in our obstacle course) that is a ridiculous amount.

What's the point of having those settings? We usually have them cranked up, but wanted a more manageable amount while we adjust our playstyle. Why bother to let us set it to 8 if we're getting a horde that big?

Not to mention that the usual "morning after" wandering horde came smack dab at 4:30 and contained over 20 zombies.

This is DAY EIGHT. The wandering hordes are REGULARLY in the 20s. We are wearing plant fiber and clothes we've found. We're using level 2 tools we've made, and some weapons we've found or bought, but no armor.

I'm cool with the wandering hordes, for the most part, even though they are ridiculously big for players who can't possibly be armed, armor and fortified yet. I'm fine with the fact the world is now loaded with wandering zombies again (hallelujah!) and that POIs are packed with sleepers. But for the love of God, why bother to let people dial down the difficulty if it doesn't work?

What they did is insted of having them come in a small group then the rest trickle 1-2 at a time till daytime, they insted have them all come at once, and once you kill them there is no more coming. Though I do admit the numbers that do come are crazy. I watched a streamer doing horde night, and there was so many zombies I thinkt he AI bugged out or it lagged out as the zombies were all running in place.

As for wandering hordes, I love them early game as long as there is no dogs or running zombies, lots of exp there.

This is DAY EIGHT. The wandering hordes are REGULARLY in the 20s. We are wearing plant fiber and clothes we've found. We're using level 2 tools we've made, and some weapons we've found or bought, but no armor.

Sorry to hear you had that problem, would be curious how your base was set up. Also, would point out (though you probably already know, so if that's the case, disregard this lol) that you should be able to craft scrap armor without a lot (or any) perks. It's not the best, but it'll give you some extra defense and might help somewhat. Without looking (while my random map renders), i believe its 100 iron, 2 duct tape and a couple pieces of leather for each item. Hope that helps.

Sorry to hear you had that problem, would be curious how your base was set up. Also, would point out (though you probably already know, so if that's the case, disregard this lol) that you should be able to craft scrap armor without a lot (or any) perks. It's not the best, but it'll give you some extra defense and might help somewhat. Without looking (while my random map renders), i believe its 100 iron, 2 duct tape and a couple pieces of leather for each item. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, we know about that. We have not been lucky with duct tape!

I'm not upset about the zombies destruction of the fighting base, it was a test setup anyway. We saw where it did and didn't work and are making tweaks to the design.

I'm just not chuffed about the fact that we had a pack of like 10 zombies + 5 dogs show up on our porch at day 4, and that I set my horde to 8 and we got over 100. Even if they're coming "all at once," setting it to 8 means it should b e a little horde.

What in the world would it have been if we'd left it on a higher setting?? Is the setting actually even working right now?

<...>

We got over 100 zombies. And not in trickles of 8 at a time per player (3 of us.) We got PILED ON. At one point, one of us fell off the shooting structure and had to run in circles, weaving in and our of barbed wire and spikes to get breathing room. There were 30+ zombies chasing him. Even if that was the horde for all three of us (and there were more NOT chasing him, still tangled in our obstacle course) that is a ridiculous amount.

<...>

Now THAT sounds like a fun time! Reminds me of the good old days! :)

I think the problem is that they have given zombies a "flanking" damage buff where each zombie does more damage based on how many others are hitting thee same thing he is (or trying to hit it). So 100 zombies coming 10 at a time will do pathetic damage compared to 100 zombies at once. I think it's simply a balance issue.

tbh I am surprised the game could even handle 100 zombies at once. Are you sure of your facts?

My first 7 day horde went through almost all the wooden spikes i had around my little kill pod (and there were quite a lot there). Then they went through the structure itself, collapsing here and there (killed a few during that time). After i went off running and respawned at base, just a couple remained and were killed by all the wooden spikes around it. At that time it was over.

On one hand i was relieved the night was "practically over" (checked the arena and mined some resources before 4:30 hit in peace), on the other i was expecting more, especially as i was not prepared as i wanted. Next horde will be better...

Perhaps the number of zombies was associated with the number of players in the game? If more players online and in one spot, then more zombies?

I think the problem is that they have given zombies a "flanking" damage buff where each zombie does more damage based on how many others are hitting thee same thing he is (or trying to hit it). So 100 zombies coming 10 at a time will do pathetic damage compared to 100 zombies at once. I think it's simply a balance issue.

tbh I am surprised the game could even handle 100 zombies at once. Are you sure of your facts?

I did not say we got 100 at once.

I said we got 100 on horde night.

I also said I would be fine with this, if our settings were put to this level, but they were not.

Why are people willfully misunderstanding the issue here?

- - - Updated - - -

The Hordes are great again!!!, no more trickle.. If you can't handle them, turn down the difficulty.. it will reduce your gamestage calculation therefore reduce the number of zombies. Also they will have less HP.

PLEASE READ THE OP

Our horde was turned down to the lowest setting.

THAT is the problem.

Perhaps the number of zombies was associated with the number of players in the game? If more players online and in one spot, then more zombies?

Yes. Each player spawns their own personal horde that homes in on them. You typically don't realise this because you and your friends fight the horde in the same place.

I love every min of it. first 7 day horde smashed our base and killed us!! first time actually dieing to a horde in what seems like years. had to actually repair and plan for next horde. next horde we had tons of spikes and we held up much better. this is on " normal " setting im looking forward to trying much harder game settings in the future.

loving this patch.

Yes. Each player spawns their own personal horde that homes in on them. You typically don't realise this because you and your friends fight the horde in the same place.

Okay, then how many should it spawn when the BN horde is set to EIGHT?

Archived