What happened to wood log spike trap?

Reth

Nope. no log spikes of any variety at all. Apparently, we aren't allowed passive defenses to deal with all the concrete-chewing zombies while we focus on construction zombies, fats, cops, irradiates, wights, crawlers, & dogs. You know, all those other super-SUPER zombies designed to bypass base defenses.

I hope you didn't like that base of yours

Wood log spikes have been cut. Here are some reasons that depending on who you are will make sense or be completely idiotic.

1) Redundant to wood spikes.

2) Visually unappealing when zombies walked on them or interacted with them.

3) Exploitable by turning them upside down and creating a damaging flat surface.

I am not arguing for or against their removal nor am I saying these reasons are good or bad but I am simply reporting officially that they are gone. Blame the consoles, the streamers, that one small group of the player base that always bamboozles the devs, or the devs themselves unless you are feeling a desire to thank them for this change.

They weren't redundant with wood spikes. Wood spikes were and still are trash that vanish if you sneeze on them. A defense that doesn't exist isn't a very good one. Tips did one thing nothing else in the game did: they happened to not simply vanish the moment a zombie shows up. They did less damage, but at least you could count on them to work through the night to lighten the load.

I will agree on #2 though. It was never pretty when they worked properly.

1) Redundant to wood spikes

Hardly... the still shatter like toothpicks. So unless your idea is 10 layers of spikes around a base ... see point 2 as visually unappealing.

Wood spikes are just as unappealing when zombies are crawling over and on the side level.

3) Exploitable by turning them upside down and creating a damaging flat surface.

Mostly because people got fed up with zombies clipping into the spikes... I noticed TFPs trend where a issue is hard to fix, remove the cause of the issue, not the issue.

There are a lot of different blocks where zombies clip. Do we remove all those also? They fit criteria 1, 2, 3 perfectly.

Nope. no log spikes of any variety at all. Apparently, we aren't allowed passive defenses to deal with all the concrete-chewing zombies while we focus on construction zombies, fats, cops, irradiates, wights, crawlers, & dogs. You know, all those other super-SUPER zombies designed to bypass base defenses.

I hope you didn't like that base of yours

Yeah, this is really upsetting.

The whole "you have to ACTIVELY be defending your base!" is BS.

I have ALWAYS actively defended my base. I've never once hidden from horde night. I love horde night.

But I also love base building. Being able to set up a defended perimeter is the ONLY way to get any building done. Exactly WHAT am I actively defending if zombies are chewing through concrete AND getting a block-destroying buff from being together? How am I supposed to defend against that? How am I supposed to keep them from clumping up?

3 rows of log spikes with a layer of flat barbed-wire on top was how I was able to keep up with the damage zombies do to my fight-wall during horde night and slow them down. Do I need 10 rows of those crappy stick spikes now? Seriously, how are we supposed to keep zombies from destroying our bases now?

I am asking if the log spikes are moddable in the mod section. I've been using them since the beginning of time. As my main base defense, I don't want to lose them.

They are. They are still in the game but are dev blocks. I would wait until stable before trying to re-add then though.

I think the bigger risk to horde defense is the level gating of turrets and the loss of gore blocks for bones.

Wood log spikes have been cut. Here are some reasons that depending on who you are will make sense or be completely idiotic.

1) Redundant to wood spikes.

I am not arguing for or against their removal nor am I saying these reasons are good or bad but I am simply reporting officially that they are gone. Blame the consoles, the streamers, that one small group of the player base that always bamboozles the devs, or the devs themselves unless you are feeling a desire to thank them for this change.

"Your passive base defense... you can keep that"

"If you like your tower-defense voxel game, you can keep it!"

Groovy

Haven’t had any time to actually play any A17 yet but I’m sure I saw a new metal spike model somewhere in creative mode. I’m sure these are meant to replace the log spikes.. but perhaps they haven’t been hooked up yet. This whole thread might just be premature.

[...]

[..]

What if I promised that I'd never ever use them that way, can I have my log spikes back, pretty please?

We had so few early game passive defenses to begin with, removing one of them is hardly a good choice, whatever the reasoning is.

@Guppycur, thanks for the mod link.

What if I promised that I'd never ever use them that way, can I have my log spikes back, pretty please?

We had so few early game passive defenses to begin with, removing one of them is hardly a good choice, whatever the reasoning is.

An exploit that is fixed by adding two lines to the xml? Doubt that was any part of the reasoning. Option 2 most likely and the aweful clipping. I’m sure the replacement will be less ganked.

But its wood spikes that made wood spikes redundant.

Sustainability and durability of log spikes is what was great about them, I'd rather have 2-3 rows of log spikes then massive field of difficult to replace wood spikes.

Difficult to replace? they are only 4 wood a piece. For 40 wood you get 10 spikes. for 6 trees you get like a buttload of spikes. repairing them takes 10 wood, so you are better off just breaking them and putting new ones down.

Then the metal spikes are only 4 forged iron. Sure they do not kill zombies directly, but they do hurt a lot.

But that is not the real meat and potatoes here, the real meat and potatoes is that wood spikes are the new land claim block and pvp griefer tool. Put down three wood spikes, and a player is DEAD. Put down three wood spikes under a fake floor, and that player is super dead. Place a fake floor down, wood spike under it, wood spike over it, and listen to the butt hurt when they think they disarmed your trap only to get killed.

No, the new wood spikes are nasty when used correctly...

Archived