How are you going to deal with Jumping Zombies and Better/Faster Spiders?

LuckyStar

Also what I've found is that AI (in alpha 16 mind, dunno bout the improvement in a17) has trouble with is paths that actually lead away from your position.

in more words:

Have access to your base on higher elevation then the outer walls of your defense. Make that higher elevation only accessible only through a jump that leads away from you if you are within the inner defenses. AI seems to have a hard time figuring out routes that actually makes em move away from you from shortest distance/direct line. (you can reach the outer walls by dropping down from that higher elevation).

To me this is not exploity as we are dealing with dumbish zombies and you dangling your juicy man/woman meat in front of their faces.

Now base destroy mode might make em mess up your inner defense in this case, but you could draw em toward to outer walls again. It would probably be wise to have more then one such construction in order not to be locked out should they manage to sward your 'reverse-access'.

*just a theory - well have to see if it (still) works in A17.

Oh hey Joe,

Live zombies using each other to climb over your walls makes the disappearance of gore block climbing back in the day less important. Kewl development :) That will force us to not rely on 3 block high walls and remain stationary as they would certainly mass up.

Oh hey Joe,

Live zombies using each other to climb over your walls makes the disappearance of gore block climbing back in the day less important. Kewl development :) That will force us to not rely on 3 block high walls and remain stationary as they would certainly mass up.

i have not fully tested how high they can go but... the idea is tho... the more zombies that gather without killing them, can possibly cause trouble for the player. while players can and will come up with different strategies... its good that there is now threats...

some of us hinted that most people will have to rethink how to play the game.... i mean look at how quick people were getting killed on the streams.... they jumped into the frying pan when they werent ready. :)

I'm sure people will find ways to bypass the new threats eventually, but if all else fails, there is that old fashioned tower defense approach - a) guide your enemies into the kill zone b) kill them using all available killing tools. It worked for me in all the 7D2D versions I played so far, I see no reason it would fail now.

well that is the fun part about the game.. trying to out fox the fox (in this case the zed).

while some people will complain, there are others who want this type of play... different strokes for different folks and thats what makes the world go around.

there are options and xmls and an ini that help to customize the game.

but the best customizing is thinking of better ways to survive.

well that is the fun part about the game.. trying to out fox the fox (in this case the zed).

What's this about a fox now? :p

Watched your video, seeing how they jump... I'm even less worried about them than I already was. They look like they can only jump 1 block of height and not very far forward either. It also looks like the jump animation could be improved by going ever so slightly faster cuz it looks as if gravity isn't quite perfect with them yet. Maybe it's just me?

Had to think about it for a bit and then I remembered I watched Deep Blue Sea recently...

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. Because I carry a big stick and I'm the meanest mother f'er in the valley! Two zeds down, Lord! One hundred demon zeds to go! Can I get an Amen?

Well, I did a quick try to play. My "old" (4 years state of the art) PC cant handle it. Anyways, when I seeked refuge at a trader I decided to quit alltogether.

Reason.. Zeds jumped the 2 block fence and attacked me inside the trader compound.

speaking of jumping here is something i just slapped together to share with you while you wait.

here is a little something to munch on while you wait.

and no... it is not a bug! :) as some people have complained about already in the past about zombies walking thru the doors (when they were accidentlly left open), they learned to do something else.

That is so awesome, Wasn't aware of this at all. So WARZ in its approach....

hZw6Kkk.png

Can't do anything like this anymore it would seem.

Zombies can jump more than one block [confirmed].

What if that means they can jump three? Argh!

I like using the ramp system rather than a ladder with one rung missing.

Okay you can call that an exploit and I won't argue it.

Now we'll have to come up with another way to get in and out of our bases fast.

Can't just make a drawbridge in week one so we'll have to be clever.

Also,

Spiders are now faster and having a ledge apparently won't work anymore.

I guess they can climb over that????

Holy crap now what?

You can still do that base design... just make a wall with some wood frames in front of the hole, they will jump then hit the wall and fall.

Archived