How are you going to deal with Jumping Zombies and Better/Faster Spiders?

LuckyStar

hZw6Kkk.png

Can't do anything like this anymore it would seem.

Zombies can jump more than one block [confirmed].

What if that means they can jump three? Argh!

I like using the ramp system rather than a ladder with one rung missing.

Okay you can call that an exploit and I won't argue it.

Now we'll have to come up with another way to get in and out of our bases fast.

Can't just make a drawbridge in week one so we'll have to be clever.

Also,

Spiders are now faster and having a ledge apparently won't work anymore.

I guess they can climb over that????

Holy crap now what?

So instead of making a 2 bllock wide jump gap, you make a 4 block wide jump gap,and chuck a couple of frames in it to narrow the gap when you need to cross it yourself. Or, you give yourself a height advantage when making the jump... jump from 4 blocks above your target landing site, and maybe you'll still span the 4 block wide gap.

As for the spiders, I'm wondering if a 2 or 3 frame wide overhang with an added 'lip' on the underside of the outer block will stop them.

If not, do as Draz said, and kill the smeggers.

As for the spiders, I'm wondering if a 2 or 3 frame wide overhang with an added 'lip' on the underside of the outer block will stop them.

I was thinking the same thing.

An upside down "U" on the edge might do it.

Another option is to have another floor beneath where you're standing.

Maybe two spaces in between and down there you could have electric fences.

Spiders crawl up to get you, go into that lower floor first and get zapped.

I dunno.... something.

Mobs take less fall damage now with a MAX of 33% of max health.

So.... buh bye to fall traps. :upset:

Oh no, that is not a good bye for fall traps, but a return to fall traps. It means i don't have to dig to bedrock anymore. It means i can make a nice pit, and fill it to bursting with flat barbed wire. It makes the blender pit more fun and worth it, and the best part is no more clean up.

So now my blender moats have to be what, 20 blocks deep now?

I don't think leaving a gap was an exploit - seems a perfect feasible way of protecting base entry, based on the portrayal of zeds in pretty much all films etc up to now.

It's just logical - humans can jump, zeds can't.

To me, allowing them to jump makes it more unbelievable than not. We'll deal with it, but no way was leaving a gap an exploit.

Oh no, that is not a good bye for fall traps, but a return to fall traps. It means i don't have to dig to bedrock anymore. It means i can make a nice pit, and fill it to bursting with flat barbed wire. It makes the blender pit more fun and worth it, and the best part is no more clean up.

So now my blender moats have to be what, 20 blocks deep now?

Interesting.

That would still work and yes 20 blocks should be about right.

I don't think leaving a gap was an exploit - seems a perfect feasible way of protecting base entry, based on the portrayal of zeds in pretty much all films etc up to now.

It's just logical - humans can jump, zeds can't.

To me, allowing them to jump makes it more unbelievable than not. We'll deal with it, but no way was leaving a gap an exploit.

Had a look at a video.

Seems like they can jump over two blocks and land on the third.

Might still be able to pull off the gap thing.

Just need some adjusting like a trapdoor to land on?

Just open it when you're defending and maybe the zeds will fall?

I dunno, I'm going to try a test server before actually playing a longer game.

hZw6Kkk.png

Can't do anything like this anymore it would seem.

Zombies can jump more than one block [confirmed].

What if that means they can jump three? Argh!

I like using the ramp system rather than a ladder with one rung missing.

Okay you can call that an exploit and I won't argue it.

Now we'll have to come up with another way to get in and out of our bases fast.

Can't just make a drawbridge in week one so we'll have to be clever.

Also,

Spiders are now faster and having a ledge apparently won't work anymore.

I guess they can climb over that????

Holy crap now what?

Well... What I've done in the past is to put a bunch of frames up on the 'base' side of the gap.... Blocking all access. Rebar frames seemed to work fine. So they can jump but what are they going to land on if they don't remove/bash the frames? <G>

AI will always have an exploitable weakness... with that said, I'm not at all worried.

It's just as simple as figure out how far they can jump, and just make the gap a tiny bit further. Might have to take advantage of the vertical to gain extra jump distance, but big deal. You could also make the jump more diagonal which I'm sure the AI would find very difficult to figure out. There's also the AI pathing with terrain exploits you can use... like maybe use fencing or barrels or something on top of the ramp so the AI gets confused preventing them from successfully jumping the gap. I imagine barbed wires can be used for exploiting too since it's possible to jump over them, but I doubt the AI could figure it out.

As for spiders, they'll always be exploitable too... just use barbed wires under the ledge, problem solved. Or a U shape as someone else mentioned.

I'm also wondering if zeds can jump over spikes... if not, make a difficult path to the ramp so the zeds break their legs on the spikes before reaching the ramp.

AI will always have an exploitable weakness... with that said, I'm not at all worried.

It's just as simple as figure out how far they can jump, and just make the gap a tiny bit further. Might have to take advantage of the vertical to gain extra jump distance, but big deal. You could also make the jump more diagonal which I'm sure the AI would find very difficult to figure out. There's also the AI pathing with terrain exploits you can use... like maybe use fencing or barrels or something on top of the ramp so the AI gets confused preventing them from successfully jumping the gap. I imagine barbed wires can be used for exploiting too since it's possible to jump over them, but I doubt the AI could figure it out.

As for spiders, they'll always be exploitable too... just use barbed wires under the ledge, problem solved. Or a U shape as someone else mentioned.

I'm also wondering if zeds can jump over spikes... if not, make a difficult path to the ramp so the zeds break their legs on the spikes before reaching the ramp.

OKay!

Now we're talking.

Some really good ideas there.

I'd rather discuss how to deal with them than complain that it's happening.

What about having Sheet Metal on the edge?

The game reads it as a block as far as SI goes.

Maybe the AI would see it as well and try to land on it.

Gotta try that one.

lol, ppl are complaining about it? That's funny. I welcome these changes as I find zeds to be too easily exploitable and manageable. The more abilities they give to the zeds, the less I'll feel the need to force difficulty by increasing set difficulty with spongy GPS zeds which isn't nearly as enjoyable.

Sheet metal sounds like a very good option to try out as well. I didn't even think of that (mainly cuz I've never used it for anything).

lol, ppl are complaining about it? That's funny. I welcome these changes as I find zeds to be too easily exploitable and manageable. The more abilities they give to the zeds, the less I'll feel the need to force difficulty by increasing set difficulty with spongy GPS zeds which isn't nearly as enjoyable.

Sheet metal sounds like a very good option to try out as well. I didn't even think of that (mainly cuz I've never used it for anything).

Agreed. Can't believe people would complain. Zombies have never been an issue in vanilla game, and now that we have so many new weapon mods, perks, abilities and vehicles, it's only logical to make zombies actually dangerous.

i was thinkin, take two drawbridges and have them face each other from opposite sides

Yup that's good for mid to late game.

In the beginning, however, we need to be clever and come up with something cheap and easy.

One of us will figure it out.

I was thinking about Hatches.

Open hatch on it's side pointing horizontally.

You can land on the lid.

Just close it once you're in and now it's too far for them to jump?

Maybe?

ycJWVNz.gif

rooftops and be ready to chop out 2 ladders

- - - Updated - - -

Yup that's good for mid to late game.

In the beginning, however, we need to be clever and come up with something cheap and easy.

One of us will figure it out.

I was thinking about Hatches.

Open hatch on it's side pointing horizontally.

You can land on the lid.

Just close it once you're in and now it's too far for them to jump?

Maybe?

ycJWVNz.gif

wood frames up and hay bales down

I don't think zombies can jump around corners.

I don't think zombies can nerdpole.

I think zombies have issues jumping diagonally.

I don't think zombies can swim (up).

I'm guessing zombies can't latch on to a ladder while midair.

i was thinkin, take two drawbridges and have them face each other from opposite sides

The problem with that is that zombies will probably attack the raised drawbridge on their side of gap, destroying it. It was that way in A16, don't see any reason why the zeds wouldn't attack it now if they choose that path. I'm thinking a drawbridge on the players' side of gap should work if they choose that path. Then again, simply raising the drawbridge could cause them to switch to another path, or attack a structure. We'll have to wait and see how new pathing AI works in its entirety.

speaking of jumping here is something i just slapped together to share with you while you wait.

here is a little something to munch on while you wait.

and no... it is not a bug! :) as some people have complained about already in the past about zombies walking thru the doors (when they were accidentlly left open), they learned to do something else.

Archived