[A17 Spoilers] Claim Blocks!

KingSlayerGM

It has no sense ... i dont get the point of it.

There is a world of difference between these two comments. Just because a person does not see the logic of a decision does not mean that the decision is devoid of logic. It is reasonable to say that you don't see/understand the logic; and it is reasonable to say that you disagree with the logic.

Ironically, to make the baseless claim that there was no logic behind the decision is itself devoid of logic.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. I don't know what the devs have had to deal with when it comes to coding for the LCBs, but when it comes to running a server, or acting as an admin on one, there has been no cancer regarding LCBs. I'm sure there have been some people claiming large areas with tons of LCBs, or people trolling with them, but that's what admins and server rules are for. I haven't heard of a single instance where this was a problem, because admins could easily remove LCBs, multiple LCBs at a time, in an area with one command. I don't think you'll find one person who agrees with this change, and that includes people who act as admins on servers. This was not a good move on the part of the developers. What we had before was just fine as opposed to this. Seriously, can anyone recall the previous LCBs being a problem? Sounds like the devs are "fixing" something that was never broken. NOW it's broken.

This ^. As I admin 3 servers for large numbers of players. LCBs are never an issue because they can be removed via admin command and they expire after 7 real life days. It's just a fix that was unwarranted and not needed. Alas, I forgot you dont care about the players on the servers larger than 8 players.

- - - Updated - - -

That's fine. That's the job of designers. =)

With 3 blocks you need a system/UI to determine which blocks are active or to activate/deactivate individual ones, more bookkeeping, stacking/overlapping rules. A whole bundle of issues made that decision.

The previous spam of claim blocks was a cancer that had to go.

Ignorance is bliss. You dont seem to realize that there is server managers that do this for the server admins Gazz. I know where all the LCBs are at any given moment. When the last time a player signs in and when they expire. I can pop up an LCB at any given moment if a player is claiming too much land or ignoring servers rules. Stacking/overlapping is for players who like to guard their shi_t. Hell all I need to do is run "rlp and a steam id" and I can remove x player's lcbs all across the map. A whole bundle of issues where not considered apparently.

Ignorance is bliss. You dont seem to realize that there is server managers that do this for the server admins Gazz. I know where all the LCBs are at any given moment. When the last time a player signs in and when they expire. I can pop up an LCB at any given moment if a player is claiming too much land or ignoring servers rules. Stacking/overlapping is for players who like to guard their shi_t. Hell all I need to do is run "rlp and a steam id" and I can remove x player's lcbs all across the map. A whole bundle of issues where not considered apparently.

This

Often people use the phrase that others have no clue about things and they exaggerate, unfortunately when it comes to MP in this game the devs really truly define what it means to have no clue at all about how people play.

People overstack their claims so that they cannot be easily counted out (you do understanding what I mean by that right? or do I have to explain that too..)

Its required and necessary for anything other than a tiny base as it stops people finding your claims easily.

I have to say I'm puzzled by some of the responses from the dev side on this matter. I know for a fact that Gazz has played on a few high pop servers many alphas ago. He even ran a server (with very twisted mechanics lol) so he is definitely aware of the multiplayer aspect (or at least should be). Just odd that something as simple as protecting multiple bases or even extending an existing area past a single land claim would be considered as being cancer gameplay. Hopefully once 17 drops and we get deeper into the xmls and configs we will see something that can be set by server owners.

This negatively affects ALL players pretty much. It doesn't matter if it's a PVE or PVP server, nobody wants it. It doesn't matter if your server allows only 8 players or 50, nobody wants it. If I played on a server that only allowed 8 players to connect at a time, I STILL wouldn't want it. The number of players connecting to the server doesn't matter. What matters is that all people like to have the freedom to build as large as they please, and to have multiple bases if they please, and being able to use more than one LCB makes that possible in multiplayer games. If nothing else, it prevents griefers from raiding or destroying bases in online games. That in turn makes it easier on not just players, but the server hosts/admins. If TFP actually believe that LCBs were being used in a cancerous way, as stated before, then we've got a serious problem...a major disconnect between the devs and the players. It's one thing to say this is how the game should work, but when you've already had something better working just fine, and then tell the people that they want us to play the game in a more limited way, that ain't going to go over well. Obviously there's a serious disconnect here if nobody even considered this.

FYI this has been discussed on a Dev diary with MM directly and he has said he understands the concerns and will make sure that he gets talked about at their table meeting.

It's pretty obvious that you don't know what LCBs are used for which makes sense because they do not play on servers with random people, so although I vehemently disagree with their decision, I do not blame them for it.

FYI this has been discussed on a Dev diary with MM directly and he has said he understands the concerns and will make sure that he gets talked about at their table meeting.

It's pretty obvious that you don't know what LCBs are used for which makes sense because they do not play on servers with random people, so although I vehemently disagree with their decision, I do not blame them for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesnt the Land Claim Block just do that? Claim land for the player? Do they serve some other magical purpose?

Yes, they added no zombie spawn to the lcb properties, which does necessitate limiting the number of blocks...

...our job needs to be convinving them that we need a block that prevents griefing and only griefing, so that their "one block does all" approach does not have affects they aren't aware of because they don't fit their game design.

Yes, they added no zombie spawn to the lcb properties, which does necessitate limiting the number of blocks...

...our job needs to be convinving them that we need a block that prevents griefing and only griefing, so that their "one block does all" approach does not have affects they aren't aware of because they don't fit their game design.

Well, the bedroll could have been used for the no spawning mechanic. If I remember correctly, it did, unless there was a bug where it didn't always work or something. If there was, just fix that. Having a bedroll for that and respawning and LCBs to protect stuff from griefing sounds a lot simpler. If the concern is that players would exploit that, then have LCBs prevent zombie spawns AND protect stuff from griefers. If the devs worry about players using that to claim high-value POIs, well that's what admins are for. I'd rather use the bedroll to prevent zombie spawning, so that my area is protected but still allows zombies like screamers to spawn nearby.

This still sounds like taking the scenic route and not even arriving at the desired location.

This is exactly why.

It goes against the entire concept of a land claim block.

In a PVP setting the claim spam can not possibly be a good thing, which is apparent from some servers increasing the crafting cost to ridiculous levels... which only makes it more devastating if you get killed as a noob and lose the one claim block that you have.

It may go against your concept and how you seem to hate PVP. Those 40 lcbs in a base don't really matter in the long run because we will just drill our way in. They do slow you down, make it so you can't build on lcb'ed land, claim your own area that you can protect. This is a sandbox building game, whats the point of building awesome stuff if you're limited to your silly idea of 1 claim in a 40x area. Thats stupid. I want to build things bigger than that. I can't do that with 1 claim because a griefer will come knock it all down. In a 10k map you might want a base on opposite sides of the map. If you only have 1 claim you wont be able to. There have been bases built with 1000's of claims that still fall to raiders. They would have fallen alot quicker if there had been only 1 claim.

The only servers that limit claims and increase claim costs are fast paced rust style servers that are not nearly as popular.

Also, I don't know why this would even matter to you, or to PVE guys. If you don't want it, don't use it.

@TFP, you guys want a fully modable game but now we get a restriction with the claimblocks and we cant mod it? lol

Why did you want to control server owners?

Thats the same with custom chatcolors, it was removed a few alphas ago cause of the

"rainbow chat messages" - on some servers.

a few weeks later was it back, after some server owners complaining about it.

Whats the next step, UI back to hardcoded?

Give us the choice. Thats a great game, cause so much things are open for modding.

LCB's exist for the sole reason of protecting a players base. the game IS designed for that, pvp or pve is irrelevant as you well know

Seems like we are "fighting" a loosing battle. SMH.

They just don't get it.

The changes they have made almost burries any reasonable PvP, but because PvP is a sin on this game and anyone who enjoys it should go away right?

When I don't feel like defending my stuff from other humans I've been known to play PvE and I can easily see the disadvantages of the new system.

We've always needed a means of creating remote safehouses to stay the night away from home since RWG opened up and everything to spread out several kilometers apart. TFP obviously doesn't care, or they'd have done it ten alphas ago.

If you want a "safe" place to stay, you have to build your own. Hijacking POI's is ALWAYS a bad idea if it's not always going to be your home-base of operation and sole spawn point.

Archived