[A17 Spoilers] Claim Blocks!

KingSlayerGM

easy fix

Remove spawn protection from the block called LCB

Remove restrictions on having more than 1 LCB

Add spawn protection to the block called sleeping bag for which the code ALREADY exists whereby you can only have one active one

Now you have the devs desire for spawn protection in place

Now you have the players wish for LCB not to be changed reverted to how it was before

Everyone gets what they want.

Been running a server for over 3 years. Been playing since Alpha 1. This is the first time (at least that I can remember) where I stop and think WTF? Speechless on this change. Definitely need some time to digest and go over all the possible ramifications of such a change in a big PvE community scenario. But initially nothing good comes to mind.

I've never even used my LCB, and I play on a PvE server. *shrug*

You're probably fortunate not to have been raided. There's plenty of players who join PvE servers and still attempt to raid, or even completely take over a player base. LCBs effectively stop this.

What people probably should remember: This game is a WiP. Time and again TFP has changed things based on community feedback. No need for end-of-the-world melodrama.

Which is why I'm here to express my concerns. :smile-new:

easy fix

Remove spawn protection from the block called LCB

Remove restrictions on having more than 1 LCB

Add spawn protection to the block called sleeping bag for which the code ALREADY exists whereby you can only have one active one

Now you have the devs desire for spawn protection in place

Now you have the players wish for LCB not to be changed reverted to how it was before

Everyone gets what they want.

I think that's exactly how it is already...

You're probably fortunate not to have been raided. There's plenty of players who join PvE servers and still attempt to raid, or even completely take over a player base. LCBs effectively stop this.

Which is why I'm here to express my concerns. :smile-new:

I think that's exactly how it is already...

I beleive thats how its SUPPOSED to work in A16 but most people report sleeping bags blocking spawns as not working, my own experience support it never having worked.

Now if they got the code to block spawn working on 'one' block, LCB's, there is no reason they cant apply that fix to another block 'sleeping bags'

Why was it necessary to add spawn protection to LCBs? I don't get it.

My guess is that the alternative was making the bedroll Skybox to Bedrock like the LCB for Spawn Protection and that might have been Sleeper and other spawn exploitable.

By having LCB be Spawn Protective it would allow a Skybox to Bedrock area which could be walled in and protected from internal spawns. Whereas bedroll is only a small radius; useful only to cover a temp rest area, or your emergency hidden spawn after death hide-away.

One suggestion I saw that I thought was good (forgive me I forget where I read it, but been thinking about it): A Builder Claim Block which would work as LCB in A16 & Earlier with the same PVP protection and NO Spawn Protection.

This would allow

LCB: Main Base (Spawn Protected via LCB, PVP Protected via the current LCB settings for durability).

BCB: Building large structures, roads, traintracks, subways, etc (NOT Spawn protected, PVP protected via the current LCB settings or similar BCB specific, ideally add setting for max BCBs per player as well a setting for BCB Claim size)

Bedroll: Getaway/temp/small safe area (Spawn Protected in the tiny bedroll radius, no PVP durability protection).

Note: some of this based on the assumption LCB Spawn Protection is skybox to bedrock like it is for the durability settings.

Perhaps with the new buff system they could even make it so each new BCB had an exponential crafting cost increase. Create a CVAR, update each time a BCB is crafted, modify crafting cost based on value of CVAR. I don't remember that massive list Kniyajuu posted well enough to know if it could handle the granularity of adjusting cost based on a single specific item or not. Be an interesting experiment.

My guess is that the alternative was making the bedroll Skybox to Bedrock like the LCB for Spawn Protection and that might have been Sleeper and other spawn exploitable.

By having LCB be Spawn Protective it would allow a Skybox to Bedrock area which could be walled in and protected from internal spawns. Whereas bedroll is only a small radius; useful only to cover a temp rest area, or your emergency hidden spawn after death hide-away.

One suggestion I saw that I thought was good (forgive me I forget where I read it, but been thinking about it): A Builder Claim Block which would work as LCB in A16 & Earlier with the same PVP protection and NO Spawn Protection.

This would allow

LCB: Main Base (Spawn Protected via LCB, PVP Protected via the current LCB settings for durability).

BCB: Building large structures, roads, traintracks, subways, etc (NOT Spawn protected, PVP protected via the current LCB settings or similar BCB specific, ideally add setting for max BCBs per player as well a setting for BCB Claim size)

Bedroll: Getaway/temp/small safe area (Spawn Protected in the tiny bedroll radius, no PVP durability protection).

Note: some of this based on the assumption LCB Spawn Protection is skybox to bedrock like it is for the durability settings.

Perhaps with the new buff system they could even make it so each new BCB had an exponential crafting cost increase. Create a CVAR, update each time a BCB is crafted, modify crafting cost based on value of CVAR. I don't remember that massive list Kniyajuu posted well enough to know if it could handle the granularity of adjusting cost based on a single specific item or not. Be an interesting experiment.

IF youre assumption is correct, that would also be a feasible solution

TFP think we dont need LCB in PvE? Apparently they just like alienating over 1/2 of their players. TFP there are so many trolls/idiots and what not that play this game, that they love breaking into bases and destroying stuff. LCBs protect that and you are reducing it? Get real and play on the bigger servers and stop with this tired hat of "we only support 8 players"

My dad works for OSHA, and part of his job was answering phone calls one day every so often. People constantly would call asking where there social security check was.

Should they have stopped with the tired hat of "we aren't in charge of that"?

My first post here was just my cold-blooded acceptant assessment of how to deal with the change amongst the different communities, but following this a bit further, I guess I chime in on the criticism of the change itself. Without inflammatory or insulting speech, because I still have manners. The advantage of a forum is that you can take your time and cool down emotionally before posting.

I guess if this really was about Z-spawn prevention a few improvements to the bedroll would have been the way to go.

Main problem with the bedroll was that it didn't work for an offline player in mp. If that could have been fixed, the bedroll would have served the purpose just fine.

Throw in settings options to adjust the protection size of the bedroll, so the vanillas don't have to start fiddling with the xml files and all would be fine on that end.

The claim spam argument seems void to me indeed.

Those 2 livemap screenshots Sylen put up clearly show large player made structures, not a pregen town being spammed with claims. What exactly is wrong with someone claiming a large area in the middle of nowhere, I wonder.

The only bad thing might be claiming the immediate areas around traders and preventing access there for other players, but couldn't that just be fixed by increasing the trader's protection zone? (I'd like to see that happen in any case, but that's just my personal preference, as I dislike it when players "camp" a trader.)

Personally I have never come across a situation where claims were abused in an excessive manner. Would like to read from people who actually experienced that.

I think the largest reason for this change, is because the claim block now prevents spawns. You get someone covering a 300m area with LCB's that prevent spawns, and it really ruins the survival aspect of the game.'

I can agree with allowing more than just one. Maybe 2 or 3. More than that preventing zed spawns isn't really playing the game, and it will break horde and pathing mechanics. If you need that much protection from zombies, you can turn them off.

There is also a fine line here that the developers have to walk. This is a "survival horde crafting game". Which of those do you put first when you're developing? Survival, or the ability to create giant castles? IMHO, the core of the game is about survival, and with the current iteration of the LCB, being able to zombie-proof and area larger than 40-70 blocks is against the core aspects.

Currently it looks like modding this feature will require modifying the DLL, but I'll also admit I didn't really put more than about 5 minutes looking into the data for it right now.

Do bedrolls still prevent spawning or nah?

Do bedrolls still prevent spawning or nah?

I actually tested this theory out and from my assessment I put a bedroll down in a prefab and no zombies spawned. Now I dont know if i did not wait long enough but no sleepers spawned in the prefab since I put the bedroll down.

TFP think we dont need LCB in PvE? Apparently they just like alienating over 1/2 of their players. TFP there are so many trolls/idiots and what not that play this game, that they love breaking into bases and destroying stuff. LCBs protect that and you are reducing it? Get real and play on the bigger servers and stop with this tired hat of "we only support 8 players"

Quite distinct from the issue surrounding LCB's - it is ENTIRELY up to TFP to decide how many players they support - and they have ALWAYS said 8 is what they support. You can be as "tired" with it as you want, but YOU don't get to decide the games parameters.

That element aside, I can see why people would like an easy way to permit multiple LCB's per player, and I do hope that the XML's will permit that.

Quite distinct from the issue surrounding LCB's - it is ENTIRELY up to TFP to decide how many players they support - and they have ALWAYS said 8 is what they support. You can be as "tired" with it as you want, but YOU don't get to decide the games parameters.

That element aside, I can see why people would like an easy way to permit multiple LCB's per player, and I do hope that the XML's will permit that.

Thing is, it's pretty irrelevant how many people play at the same time.

Even if servers capped their slots to 8 at a time, there still would be servers open to the public and therefore at risk of attracting the occasional griefer.

There still would be players, who like to build big and not confined to a perfect square shape of [insert claim size] blocks.

There still would be players, who like the long game and build more than one base.

Is building just not going to be taken into account anymore when determining the parameters now? That definitely seems counter productive.

Considering that the minecraft-y sandbox nature is a huge aspect distinguishing this game from all the other Z-survial games out there.

Thing is, it's pretty irrelevant how many people play at the same time.

Even if servers capped their slots to 8 at a time, there still would be servers open to the public and therefore at risk of attracting the occasional griefer.

There still would be players, who like to build big and not confined to a perfect square shape of [insert claim size] blocks.

There still would be players, who like the long game and build more than one base.

Is building just not going to be taken into account anymore when determining the parameters now? That definitely seems counter productive.

Considering that the minecraft-y sandbox nature is a huge aspect distinguishing this game from all the other Z-survial games out there.

I have no issue at all Kam R. with those concerns, and while I play pretty much exclusively SP now due to a severe lack of free time to arrange to play with friends at pre-set times, I can well see why this LCB issue might concern some people.

I was trying to single out only, my issue with the previous posters claim that the 8 player support limit is "tired", as if somehow that player gets to tell TFP what TFP's own game "supports".

As I noted previously, I do hope TFP makes it easy for server owners (or indeed, single players) to modify the XML's to permit multiple active LCB's if that player wants that.

Archived