Can we have a candid conversation about EAR drums??

Piposquac

I've bought 7d2d back in 2013.

As much as I love the game, and while it certainly has evolved a lot since then, there's one specific issue that still remains, chipping away at my enjoyment of the game until I just have to take a break because I can't take it no mo:

There's a bunch of audio effects in the game that are just way too loud.

I tend to separate those in two categories:

• Those that become annoying with time and by force of repetition (like opening cabinets or dismantling a pile of computer consoles with a wrench);
  • And those that make me cringe instantly whenever they happen (like the spider zombie screeching), because they are obnoxiously loud.

Currently, short of extracting, editing and reimporting the audio files, which can be a a time-consuming and complicated task, we have no means to alleviate the situation.

The sliders in the audio settings menu are nice, sure, but they affect all sounds in the game, so by reducing the overall levels to make loud sounds less uncomfortable, we might make most audio in the game barely audible, which is far from ideal.

It's all a matter of balance, really. Making my ears bleed whenever I chop down a tree or find a spider zombie doesn't contribute to make the game any more realistic or enjoyable. It's the opposite, actually.

I humbly suggest the Pimps give the audio some love, making a normalizing pass or something like that.

Alternatively, and considering how mod-friendly the game is, how about adding a parameter in the sounds.xml file to set the local loudnesss of sound effects, so we can fine-tune the audio ourselves?

Fellow players, please let me know what you think.

Note from OzHawkeye - title edited.

As someone who deals with tinnitus a little in both ears, I do understand the issue. Having some easier way of adjusting individual sounds would be nice, though I doubt it's high on their To Do List (and possibly not even on the Pimps radar).

I hear you, buddy. I have hearing problems of my own. I think a lot of the reasoning the volume is the way it is because the Pimps want that eerie element in the game. Just makes it harder to differentiate the zombies from the background noises when they sneak up on you. I have my volume up that high I can hear the game at my mailbox out on the street. I am sure my neighbors would appreciate what you propose though. Mining is my biggest complaint.

Agree completely that sound normalization is a prerequisite for Beta.

My workaround for the moment is to have all sound off. This has the side effect of increasing the game difficulty by way of requiring intense concentration and situational awareness to avoid getting jumped.

Just kidding. I actually don't have a big problem with getting surprised by zombies. Sometimes I wonder if the complaints about the "zombies spawning on my head" are being caused by lower end hardware.

While i agree that audio needs balancing i don't think it's nearly as bad as OP makes it out to be.

Ears bleed, when chopping down a tree???

It can only be the case if you expect to have the ears of a bat and crank up the volume too much. (at which point you hear footsteps too far imo)

I suggest balance the overall volume by the loudest noises in the game. I have done just that and i find it pretty reasonable.

While i agree that audio needs balancing i don't think it's nearly as bad as OP makes it out to be.

Ears bleed, when chopping down a tree???

It can only be the case if you expect to have the ears of a bat and crank up the volume too much. (at which point you hear footsteps too far imo)

That's not really the case, I just have decent headphones.

I always keep the volume in a sensible level, it's just that some audio effects are still way louder than the others.

I end up taking off the headphones when doing certain activities (like chopping down a tree farm or dismantling a bunch of computer consoles) because I don't want to be fiddling with the volume all the time.

That wouldn't be necessary if the audio was normalized.

I suggest balance the overall volume by the loudest noises in the game. I have done just that and i find it pretty reasonable.

I would reccomend against that, as the peak level in some of the noisiest audio files is way too high and while that might work for loudness, it doesn't work well for subtle, accurate or detailed sounds. That would reduce the overall audio quality of the game indeed.

Either way, as long as the balance is there, it doesn't really matter if it's made upwards or downwards.

It's the lack of balance that makes it annoying.

I've always thought that the sounds were designed specifically to be loud because it's part of the game mechanics. Sounds are supposed to be an important mechanic of the game, not just for color. That way using tools like the chainsaw and auger have a sense of balance. You can mute the sounds of your actions in game a bit by crouching though.

You could do that... but then your left with bleeding ears... :D

I'm sorry. English is not my first language and sometimes I struggle with its more nuanced subtleties.

Are you saying that adjusting the overall volume is the same thing as actually balancing the audio in the game?

Because those are not the same thing.

What sounds exactly are too quiet when you balance your volume by tree chopping level?

We could explore that angle if I had any reason to believe you're about to come up with a suggestion and actually help me, but considering your contributions to the thread so far, chances are you're just trying to bait me into a pointless squabble about how wrong my opinion is, and how this issue can't possibly exist if it doesn't affect you the same way it affects me.

If that's the case, I'd rather not engage. My leisure time is very limited and I'm too old for that anyway.

I just think it would be nice if them Pimps could give the audio some love, that's all.

I'm sure TFP will give the audio some love. It's far from perfect.

All i'm saying, is that meanwhile if some sounds are too loud and make your ears bleed, then you should lower your volume so that the loudest sounds would be ok. (oddly you suggested against that..)

After you have done that, i would ask (out of curiosity) what sounds become too quiet so that you feel the need to crank up the volume?

We could explore that angle if I had any reason to believe you're about to come up with a suggestion and actually help me, but considering your contributions to the thread so far, chances are you're just trying to bait me into a pointless squabble about how wrong my opinion is, and how this issue can't possibly exist if it doesn't affect you the same way it affects me.

Well, I have tinnitus too, but I don't "hear" any problems with the sound. And from your description I don't understand the problem either. And if a lot of people here don't get it chances are the developers don't get it either. And you have to convince them to put any serious work into it.

So I don't think Toores is leading you on, his question is actually getting to the point:

If some sounds are too loud, the usual way is to turn down the volume until they are right. The obvious question is which sounds are too muted then. The zombies? If yes, do you miss the zombie cues even when doing nothing or while hacking or chain-sawing at trees?

I'm throwing in my vote for Screamers. I'm okay with most sounds, but the Screamers, who are already unnerving to begin with, sound like they're screaming over your shoulder every time. You can scare without needing to blow out my ears...I feel like they're about 35% louder than others. Spiders are also loud to a lesser extent, maybe 15-20% louder than the other zombies. A way to normalize these volumes would be great!

You could do that... but then your left with bleeding ears... :D

Edit:

What sounds exactly are too quiet when you balance your volume by tree chopping level?

well everything else that doesn´t make your ears bleed, steps, moaning and everything else? duh.

Some things are just way too loud. Playing at night i have to use headphones so you can´t hear it in the whole house. Normal sounds no problem via speaker. but if for example braking down a metal door happens or chopping a tree you can hear it in the whole house.

i hate having to use headphones. 8 hours at work are enough.

Sound overall needs a little bit of work. It can get obnoxious when you're in the attic of a building and you hear every single zombie in the vicinity.

Exactly. The lack of consistence can be off-putting.

Sometimes you hear them hissing and groaning right into your ear, even though they are in the next building... all of sudden they become ninjas and sneak up on you in complete silence - no moaning, no footsteps, no floor creaking, nada. It doesn't seem to matter if they're walking on gravel, leaves, or a carpet made entirely of squeaky toys.

It's always disconcerting when I'm checking inventory and suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, one of them fat tourists sucker-punches the living bejeezus out of me - and THEN proceeds to belch in my face and make the noises that could have alerted me of its presence in a timely fashion.

Meanwhile, the cricket chirping still drowns out my minibike's engine at full throttle. :D

I understand none of those problems prevents me from playing the game (750+ hours and counting).

I also understand the audio might not be high on the priority list, but I do think its current state is detrimental to the overall experience, and talking about it helps to put the issue in perspective.

Sometimes you hear them hissing and groaning right into your ear, even though they are in the next building... all of sudden they become ninjas and sneak up on you in complete silence - no moaning, no footsteps, no floor creaking, nada. It doesn't seem to matter if they're walking on gravel, leaves, or a carpet made entirely of squeaky toys.

It's always disconcerting when I'm checking inventory and suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, one of them fat tourists sucker-punches the living bejeezus out of me - and THEN proceeds to belch in my face and make the noises that could have alerted me of its presence in a timely fashion.

Meanwhile, the cricket chirping still drowns out my minibike's engine at full throttle. :D

I understand none of those problems prevents me from playing the game (750+ hours and counting).

I also understand the audio might not be high on the priority list, but I do think its current state is detrimental to the overall experience, and talking about it helps to put the issue in perspective.

I suppose you're talking about sleepers, mainly because zombies are quite loud when they walk as well, to me at least; sleepers, on the other hand, make zero noises when they wake up unless the player attacks them. I think that is intentional, in fact, and I don't mind it cause if sleepers were as noisy as normal zombies are then they would pose no threat or surprise factor whatsoever.

About the crickets, ambient sound volume can be changed separately.

"hissing and groaning right into your ear, even though they are in the next building" - what you are describing here still sounds like your overall volume is too loud. My volume is set so that cutting trees is ok, and distant zombies don't sound like they are next to me. I keep music volume at 0% and ambient sounds at 10% because i don't like distracting sounds that have nothing to do with the world i'm playing in.

Of course some reverb would be nice to better simulate the distance because when you crank up the volume, zombies just sound like they are closer.

I suppose you're talking about sleepers, mainly because zombies are quite loud when they walk as well, to me at least; sleepers, on the other hand, make zero noises when they wake up unless the player attacks them. I think that is intentional, in fact, and I don't mind it cause if sleepers were as noisy as normal zombies are then they would pose no threat or surprise factor whatsoever.

I fear I'm being exceedingly confusing in my attempt to transpose the language hurdle.

I agree with you that making the sleepers too noisy would defeat their purpose, and zombies usually provide plenty of warning sounds when they're approaching.

However, I was talking about situations that can't be easily explained, like being in an open space (like the middle of the road, for example), and you look around to check that there are no zombies in your immediate vicinity (sleepers or otherwise), then you open your inventory and ten seconds later you're being pummeled - with no cues until you've been hit.

I only mentioned that briefly as contrast to your original comment about zombies being extra noisy.

I've been making a poor job of explaining my thoughts with examples, but I guess my main concern isn't with specific sounds being too loud or too muffled, it's just this impression I have that the audio in the game doesn't seem to follow a common baseline.

The reference seems off.

It's almost like, instead of having a single range between muffled and loud for all audio, there are several different ranges, and sometimes they don't match as they should.

Archived