add multi bedroll locations allowing for easy travel over long distance

bob of zimbabwe

like the title says add multi bedroll locations allowing for easy travel over long distance

We did have multi bedroll locations back in early builds (a3 or 4 or so.. been a while lol) before it was removed. You could select which spawn point to go to after a death.

This could be a thing within single player because you can fast-forward the time but for MP this is just like teleporting.

Yeah, it would be like fast travel in Skyrim. You can only fast travel to locations once you've actually traveled there. Single player only.

Never gonna happen. One of the reasons for the forced inventory loss, time-out delay as well as huge wellness loss is specifically to stop ppl from using it for teleportation.

Now, as a mod... that's another story. It might just be a matter of finding the right person willing to figure it out.

We did have multi bedroll locations back in early builds (a3 or 4 or so.. been a while lol) before it was removed. You could select which spawn point to go to after a death.

That's interesting, I don't remember that ever being a thing. I do remember doing a quick death to teleport to my one and only bedroll without any drawbacks... but multiple bedrolls... nope... doesn't ring a bell.

The main reason why fast travel isn't a feature in the game is because (or at least this is my assumption) the devs want us to not have the ability to teleport out of bad situations. Like for example, a zombie dog / wolf sees you and starts chasing you, why not just teleport out of there? Oh, you're running out of food or water, why not just teleport out of there? You've looted everything, time to head back, but why take the risk of travelling all the way back when it's about to become night time, why not teleport back? Horde night coming up, why not lead them far away from the base then teleport back when it's all clear?

It ruins the whole purpose of the survival aspect of the game. Fast travel might work in non-survival games like Skyrim, but any survival game worth the purchase won't have it.

• 3 weeks later...
like the title says add multi bedroll locations allowing for easy travel over long distance

It will never be added because there should NOT be an easy way to travel over long distances. It's a survival game, you can't just teleport all over the map and go loot crazy.

how do you imgine fast travel to your bed without losing the loot (drop all)? but yeah it would be too easy anyway

Not all servers have loot set to drop all on death.....

One of the first flags an idea is bad is if it only works with very specific server settings

What I could agree on is a system where you can place multiple bedrolls, but the game automatically spawns you in the nearest bedroll (you cant choose). This way people wouldnt use it as teleport, but it would still help with long distance travelling as you will basically have checkpoints. People already do this now, only its annoying because your original bedroll is made dysfunctional.

What I could agree on is a system where you can place multiple bedrolls, but the game automatically spawns you in the nearest bedroll (you cant choose). This way people wouldnt use it as teleport, but it would still help with long distance travelling as you will basically have checkpoints. People already do this now, only its annoying because your original bedroll is made dysfunctional.

Again that would be easy to abuse by just picking up your bedroll near you and then you can teleport 10km away.

The dev's are NOT going to add multiple waypoints back. They purposefully removed it and don't want a series of multiple spawn points.

I guess that's all you can hope for (if madmole doesn't change his opinion^^):

I think its fine as is but I would like support for multiple bedrolls so I can teleport to a different bed if one gets destroyed. We removed multiple beds because death had no consequences. Now it does so as long as we put in a bed cooldown timer I think it would be ok. A17 though, nothing is changing right away.

I think this would exploit the 'survival' aspect of the game. Although...I guess that feature would be optional - if you only placed one bedroll you'd obviously be playing without the spawn feature. I personally don't like easy mode with survival games. Defeats the purpose.

I just want multi-beds because I usually build up safehouses and travel stops in my SP game, and it's a PITA when you can't use a prefab because zombies spawned inside your 'secured' camp because 'there can only be one bedroll safe zone'.

fast travel, no, but definitely the ability to establish travel havens from sleepers without having to custom-build a bunker or watchtower for a 1-2 night stay.

fast travel, no, but definitely the ability to establish travel havens from sleepers without having to custom-build a bunker or watchtower for a 1-2 night stay.

then maybe i add a suggestion i make since last year

Add the ability to block Zombiespawns to the Claim block

But Make the claim blocks not longer direct placeable.

Instead you need to place a Item (Megaphon ?) and let it produce high amounts of heat for a few hours, after that all zombie arround have been attracted and the area is safe

I just want multi-beds because I usually build up safehouses and travel stops in my SP game, and it's a PITA when you can't use a prefab because zombies spawned inside your 'secured' camp because 'there can only be one bedroll safe zone'.

Well for starters a couple of spawns in a POI shouldn't be a big deal. Just kill them and move on. It's not like if you get 5-6 zombies in a POI you can't use it anymore. You can also just leave a stash of weapons outside in a tiny wood shack for if you get over run and need a place to resupply to take back your base.

Spawning 10 km's away to a different base is overkill when a single chest outside the poi with gear solves your issue.

Well for starters a couple of spawns in a POI shouldn't be a big deal. Just kill them and move on. It's not like if you get 5-6 zombies in a POI you can't use it anymore. You can also just leave a stash of weapons outside in a tiny wood shack for if you get over run and need a place to resupply to take back your base.

Spawning 10 km's away to a different base is overkill when a single chest outside the poi with gear solves your issue.

Agreed. When I'm looting a town, I'll usually drop a chest in the road just to stash findings.

It would be neat to have a "temp" bedroll that's placeable for nomad play, but it isn't required.

IMHO, the best would be to give three options instead of two.

1. Spawn on your bedroll.

2. Spawn near your bedroll.

3. Spawn near where you died.

The third would act like the spawn near your bedroll, except it would use your death location/backpack as the target.

Agreed. When I'm looting a town, I'll usually drop a chest in the road just to stash findings.

It would be neat to have a "temp" bedroll that's placeable for nomad play, but it isn't required.

IMHO, the best would be to give three options instead of two.

1. Spawn on your bedroll.

2. Spawn near your bedroll.

3. Spawn near where you died.

The third would act like the spawn near your bedroll, except it would use your death location/backpack as the target.

The only issue I see with #3 is with pvp. Can place a chest near someone's base and load it and Zerg them and when done just spawn back at your base

That being said I really don't care about pvp so perhaps the server could have a pvp flag in which that is disabled and it uses alternate rules.

Just to add food for thought as I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Ark has a reasonable implementation for this, where you have to store your entire inventory before activating travel at your bed because anything you are holding is deleted on fast travel between beds. You arrive at the other end naked and half dead. Isn't overpowered as you can't transfer items without making the physical journeys, but would allow multiple playstyles on one map for a long loved character.

Fed up of the concrete walls of your mega-fort in full swat gear? (dont forget to bank it or its gone!) -------bedtravel------> here is your woodsman cottage build with the woodsman gear you stored for all your roleplaying breaktime needs.

Sure you can just change maps.... But some people are sentimental and it doesn't at first glance appear to be a detrimental system.... A "why not" feature instead of a "must have" one.

Just to add food for thought as I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Ark has a reasonable implementation for this, where you have to store your entire inventory before activating travel at your bed because anything you are holding is deleted on fast travel between beds. You arrive at the other end naked and half dead. Isn't overpowered as you can't transfer items without making the physical journeys, but would allow multiple playstyles on one map for a long loved character.

Fed up of the concrete walls of your mega-fort in full swat gear? (dont forget to bank it or its gone!) -------bedtravel------> here is your woodsman cottage build with the woodsman gear you stored for all your roleplaying breaktime needs.

Sure you can just change maps.... But some people are sentimental and it doesn't at first glance appear to be a detrimental system.... A "why not" feature instead of a "must have" one.

Still super easy to exploit. Bring a bunch of stuff to someone's base, hide it in a chest with a bedroll and grief away. Can teleport back and forth as much as you want since you just stash your stuff before moving.

Heck just looting is crazy, can warp back to your base and do some work, warp back to town and loot more, then just go do 1 run later to bring back all the loot.

There really isn't any need for teleporting around, we have minibikes and will have Jeep's in A17 for transportation.

• 3 weeks later...

On one server I played on they have a /trade command and the well known /home command. The trade one is for TPing to a common trade hub/safezone thing for players to quickly exchange stuff. Is it practical and saves time? Sure. But is it fun? Not really, personally speaking. I love it when some trade agreement over the radio (global chat) is made and it instantly turns into a little (or big) mission of sorts that you have to accomplish. You have to prep for a journey and maybe new territory and the dangers en route. You may discover new useful locations. And then in case you trade with a new unknown player there's the anticipation of how the trade will turn out. Will I get backstabbed? Should I bring a friend to follow at a safe distance as backup? Should I just not risk bringing any good gear at all? Should I stop and hide my bike nearby the meeting point? etcpp

In regards to the sentiment of wanting to switch it up with the bases and playstyles: Why does the switch to another base have to happen instantaneously? What's the problem with having a nice trip inbetween, do some lootin and killing along the way and in areas you're not always active in? There you already have your switch in playstyle as a means to switch to another playstyle. :D

Same server as above had /home and /home2 allowing to insta-TP to 2 locations you choose plus /return, which basically gave you an extra free TP spot at wherever you are. Again practical in some situations and immersion breaking and cheaty as hell in other situations. Instead of facing decisions on what loot to bring home and what to stash or simply leave where it is, you'd just jump back and forth between a base and a loot town. Needless to say that it took me less than 3 hours to be fully equipped in mid-tier stuff and less than ~4 days to get crazy rich on that server. And so was every other player there, which made trading between players (or stealing from them) something that was almost redundant altogether. Boring af.

Also laggy af, as around 15 players pretty much constantly TP-ing around put quite the strain on the system.

IMO the occasional need to do a long trip is important for a full overall experience of the game. It adds to the variety of things to do and incentivizes exploration.

Bikes already are a thing and additional vehicles for moving around fast are on the way. That's more than enough, it's just right for the size of a randomgen map.

For me the lack of "magical" fast travel is integral to 7DTD's contemporary setting. It's not a Sci-fi game or a medieval-ish fantasy.

Unless you're Guppy and create a full conversion mod to make it such. Shoutout to Guppy.

This is just my preferences and opinion and as so often in such matters, I ultimately say it's one of the things that should be kept optional, but would be worth to have it be part of the actual game and not just 3rd party plugins on servers.

Archived