Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

i have an inkling you havn't been here since the the EARLY alphas. i'm not saying that the nature of features for an early access game won't get the axe every now and then. but when over a dozen of features have been axed that were good features, but people "complained" that it was this or that so it gets axed. and features that were wholesomely approved by the community didn't make it in or whatever. it doesn't matter what the nature of EA is it gets annoying to most people. i'm not saying that they need to stop doing it. i'm just saying that there are some things that cause bitterness when devs just listen to a few people on the forums and can something. so ya theres bitterness

You are assuming you have a clue why certain things were added or removed. Just because something was talked about on the forums doesn't mean that had any effect on dev decisions. It could have. It just as easily could have had nothing to do with it.

My point still stands. If you feel bitter about a feature being put in or taken out of a game, it's time to step away from the keyboard.

Causality can be a bitch to determine and if I feel bitter that it started raining because a few people were carrying umbrellas, that bitterness is largely a product of my own erroneous perception.

we can't compare two things where one can be controlled and the other can't

You are assuming you have a clue why certain things were added or removed. Just because something was talked about on the forums doesn't mean that had any effect on dev decisions. It could have. It just as easily could have had nothing to do with it.

My point still stands. If you feel bitter about a feature being put in or taken out of a game, it's time to step away from the keyboard.

assuming? who said anything about assuming, i know for a fact there were a couple of features that i spent days advocating. had plenty of people on my side, but it got removed because of a few people who were crying for whatever reason.

and your point is moot, there are two sides to EA, the devs and the players. if you don't want players to have a hand in development you don't make it EA. period. and trying to tell someone "they need to step away from the keyboard" because you think you have some higher sense of morality on the issue is pompous and arrogant.

we were told at the very beginning, that we were going to have a hand in development, and you can't expect a cut not to hurt when you spill something on it and it stings. and when it heals its still there. you can't walk away from a scar its there for the rest of its life and will always remind you of how you got it even though it doesn't hurt anymore. now i'm not saying these issues are that serious but the moral of the story remains the same.

and you acting like i'm over here raging and smashing my keyboard because of this means you know nothing about me and your not really paying attention and understanding what i'm trying to say. i'm not attacking anyone. just trying to get people to see both sides of the coin here.

- - - Updated - - -

Have the Pimps hinted of a new date for the games final release? A while back it was supposed to go gold by the end of last year.

its best just to assume they didn't

Hi Gnomanna, this IS the place to post about features that you like OR dislike. Its part of the reason why forums exist. I like you, I really do.. but your posts defending every action TFP make seem a little strange after a while. Your arguments would hold more weight if you are able to find some things you dont like and post about those things to instead of defending EVERY single action they take.

Can you give me examples about the game or A17 you dont like?

I know I complain a lot, and I can be an @ss about it, but its only because this its my favorite game, Im going to be playing for years. If I truly didnt like the game I wouldnt play or post here. TFP have an amazing thing going on here but I dont feel the need to post a defense to every negative thought about the game tho.

assuming? who said anything about assuming, i know for a fact there were a couple of features that i spent days advocating. had plenty of people on my side, but it got removed because of a few people who were crying for whatever reason.

This is not a "fact" it is an assumption on your part.

and your point is moot, there are two sides to EA, the devs and the players. if you don't want players to have a hand in development you don't make it EA. period. and trying to tell someone "they need to step away from the keyboard" because you think you have some higher sense of morality on the issue is pompous and arrogant.

You don't understand EA. The players play an unfinished game and submit bug reports if they want to. That is the ONLY things the players get to do. The devs can if they see something mentioned in forums incorporate the feedback into the game. Most probably do. But you can NEVER assume a change was from the feedback unless the head of development themselves comes to the forums and states that it was.

we were told at the very beginning, that we were going to have a hand in development, and you can't expect a cut not to hurt when you spill something on it and it stings. and when it heals its still there. you can't walk away from a scar its there for the rest of its life and will always remind you of how you got it even though it doesn't hurt anymore. now i'm not saying these issues are that serious but the moral of the story remains the same.

I'll need a reference to this information. I find it it highly unlikely that TFP said players would "have a hand in development" in any other sense than helping find bugs. I could be wrong but I'd like to see it.

and you acting like i'm over here raging and smashing my keyboard because of this means you know nothing about me and your not really paying attention and understanding what i'm trying to say. i'm not attacking anyone. just trying to get people to see both sides of the coin here.

I never said you were raging or smashing a keyboard. I was very careful to copy and past your exact words when attributing anything to you.

- - - Updated - - -

its best just to assume they didn't

wut?

Why do they need to make it significantly harder? How many hours of play do you have under your belt? Why should they balance the game around people with hundreds of hours?

If it’s a snooze fest for you then it’s time to move on and play a new game or download a mod for this one that increases the difficulty.

Congratulations. You won the default game.

Hundreds? I seem to remember when my hours numbered in the hundreds. It wasn't that long ago.

I always thought the way you played a game was you beat it on regular, then beat it on hard, then harder, all the way to the highest difficulty, then you start playing the easy mode to see if you missed anything on your previous dozen playthroughs.

Hi Gnomanna, this IS the place to post about features that you like OR dislike. Its part of the reason why forums exist. I like you, I really do.. but your posts defending every action TFP make seem a little strange after a while. Your arguments would hold more weight if you are able to find some things you dont like and post about those things to instead of defending EVERY single action they take.

Can you give me examples about the game or A17 you dont like?

I know I complain a lot, and I can be an @ss about it, but its only because this its my favorite game, Im going to be playing for years. If I truly didnt like the game I wouldnt play or post here. TFP have an amazing thing going on here but I dont feel the need to post a defense to every negative thought about the game tho.

What? I practically raged on here when they took Spam Crafting away. Maybe read some of my posts? Hell, in the post you referred to I didn't defend TFP. I didn't defend anyone. I said if you feel bitter and wounded about a feature of a game being removed you maybe should take a break from gaming.

I haven't commented on stuff I don't like lately because THERE HAVE BEEN NO UPDATES to comment on. I tend to not rage because someone says a wrong word in a video. I did comment on not liking the HP bar in game. After MM replied, I decided to wait and see if it is as bad as I think it will be. I still believe I will hate it but I'll see. I don't hate the absence of spam crafting near as much as I thought I would so I'm willing to give it a shot.

What? I practically raged on here when they took Spam Crafting away. Maybe read some of my posts? Hell, in the post you referred to I didn't defend TFP. I didn't defend anyone. I said if you feel bitter and wounded about a feature of a game being removed you maybe should take a break from gaming.

I haven't commented on stuff I don't like lately because THERE HAVE BEEN NO UPDATES to comment on. I tend to not rage because someone says a wrong word in a video. I did comment on not liking the HP bar in game. After MM replied, I decided to wait and see if it is as bad as I think it will be. I still believe I will hate it but I'll see. I don't hate the absence of spam crafting near as much as I thought I would so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Understood, I was looking at recent posts. Its all good man.

and

Health bars rock for stupid regenning zeds. If they remove regen I might prefer no health bars.

[...]

Hand in development can mean a lot of things. What Roland has been telling us consistently in the last year at least is that we, the players, can make suggestions, bring ideas or tell them how we like or not like features. BUT that we have NO, absolutely NO power of decision making.

"No power of decision making" means it doesn't matter how many people you have on your side and how many people are on the other side. What you are describing instead is a poll, a vote, exactly the power Roland did tell us we don't have.

If their communication was different back then, please show us their words. Maybe they were promising too much. Or maybe it was just your whishful thinking that made you believe you had any power to add or remove features by vote.

Assume this has been discussed....but my search skills apparently suck

So, based upon the footage of Alpha (or Beta) 17, we are getting 5 simple tiers of weapon quality with augmentation capability. My question is...do the weapons still wear out? Does the color bar get smaller or how do we manage wear? Can we combine two blue weapons to create a Purple one?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Second question - Is there going to be a dedicated Server utility made so that we can manage Servers easier and customize settings?

Joel...Bueller...anyone?

I'm hoping combining goes away in favor of superior drops at the high end.

- - - Updated - - -

So far...

I would also not mind combining going away.

I have seen streamers make tons of a low level item to combine them into a high level one.

I never liked that idea.

Lay thine eyes upon the fields of butthurt and see that it is plentiful! I guess people wouldn't be butthurt if they didn't genuinely care what direction the game went in. But boy am I glad I'm on this side of the fence, not being assaulted by hungry fans.

Love the xp and health bar by the way, hype train engaged on my end. The visual representation of progress being made really helps take the edge off waiting for the next alpha. I'm not addicted I swear.

" I'm hoping combining goes away in favor of superior drops at the high end."

My only major issue with this is that I've always envisioned resource gathering and ad-hoc survival as a critical aspect to zombie survival. I really don't want to see 7DTD become a generic dungeon-crawl-for-loot game by removing access to improvement through skills and engineering.

So quick question, why no spears? It's the tool that put us ahead of most predators, it was used to keep teeth and claws away from hunters and could also be used for range. One of the our most primitive and most effective tools yet not included. I figure there must be a reason just wondering why?

Archived