Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Due to those slight issues, I say we dump the whole FPS action vibe and go turn based. We just need to throw a 1 meter grid over everything and it will be perfect.

Only if you make the move to 3rd person isometric and go with super deformed heads on all entities. As a bonus, building will look like sim city as well.

Normally, but last weekend and this one I spent 30+ hours sanding our living room and hallway wood floors to reclaim them from 20 years of being covered by carpets. We were going to cover them with a floating wood floor, but my wife was like we can restore this. Much cheaper, but last week was 90 degree weather and had to keep the air conditioning off, because of all the wood dust. We used plastic sheeting, but some dust still got everywhere. Sanding is done and it looks awesome, but my wife has 4 coats/days of oiling to do and then we will have a living room again.

I did that for a living for about 5 yrs. that is back breaking work but so gratifying . Good on ya'

Yeah but hex turn based was already done in Dead State, I would not steal that from them, if you want inspiration tho, check out there sound system for attracting zombies. Every action had a decibel rating and radius that zombies would hear it from. If you broke a certain level then zombies would spawn at the edge of the map and move to the sound.

So breaking down a door with a sledge hammer makes a lot of noise, with a crow bar a little less, picking the lock makes even less noise. So breaking down a door then shooting a zombie with a shotgun would have the zombies coming form the edge of the maps and moving towards the sound, spawning more as noise increased.

Back a long time ago the sound for this game was awesome. I know it was broken but hearing a long distance allowed the game to have a much creepier vibe when you could hear the footsteps getting nearer or farther away based on how loud they were. When a random horde would come shuffling by, or a pack of dogs was running near. Or the sound of the bear huffing in the distance. Now the sound seems dull, to low, etc. I really hope one day you guys revisit the sounds and the systems related to sound so the game regains the creepy scary feeling at night when the zombies are moving around.

I hate that I can break down a door with an axe and not a single zombie hears it, even if they are just inside the door. I only get detected if they are facing me and there is a bright light source. Chopping down trees or mining in the open should make lots of noise, it used to, now it doesn't. How does crouching lower the amount of noise? I find this laughable. If you lowered the amount of damage your weapon did, then lowering the noise would make sense.

Chris

does anyone have an actual count on how long we have been waiting i can't count that far back.

Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama

Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama

Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama.

HOLY F N Pretzels

Yeah but hex turn based was already done in Dead State, I would not steal that from them, if you want inspiration tho, check out there sound system for attracting zombies. Every action had a decibel rating and radius that zombies would hear it from. If you broke a certain level then zombies would spawn at the edge of the map and move to the sound.

So breaking down a door with a sledge hammer makes a lot of noise, with a crow bar a little less, picking the lock makes even less noise. So breaking down a door then shooting a zombie with a shotgun would have the zombies coming form the edge of the maps and moving towards the sound, spawning more as noise increased.

Back a long time ago the sound for this game was awesome. I know it was broken but hearing a long distance allowed the game to have a much creepier vibe when you could hear the footsteps getting nearer or farther away based on how loud they were. When a random horde would come shuffling by, or a pack of dogs was running near. Or the sound of the bear huffing in the distance. Now the sound seems dull, to low, etc. I really hope one day you guys revisit the sounds and the systems related to sound so the game regains the creepy scary feeling at night when the zombies are moving around.

I hate that I can break down a door with an axe and not a single zombie hears it, even if they are just inside the door. I only get detected if they are facing me and there is a bright light source. Chopping down trees or mining in the open should make lots of noise, it used to, now it doesn't. How does crouching lower the amount of noise? I find this laughable. If you lowered the amount of damage your weapon did, then lowering the noise would make sense.

Chris

I don't know what the sound was like in the earlier versions since I started with A15, but I agree completely with everything you said.

I'm most curious for the improvements in sound department once they get around doing them, if indeed they plan to.

Normally, but last weekend and this one I spent 30+ hours sanding our living room and hallway wood floors to reclaim them from 20 years of being covered by carpets. We were going to cover them with a floating wood floor, but my wife was like we can restore this. Much cheaper, but last week was 90 degree weather and had to keep the air conditioning off, because of all the wood dust. We used plastic sheeting, but some dust still got everywhere. Sanding is done and it looks awesome, but my wife has 4 coats/days of oiling to do and then we will have a living room again.

And you will have a well-oiled wife, which probably means TFP won't be seeing much work from you for a while... ;)

Archived