Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Pille

For that reason i make my Prefabs with a combination of Pilles editor and Hals Empty world

So i can use that Editor for a work where the editor is better for.

Rotations and single side Paint is better in Hals empty world.

Large surfaces, 3D Paint Blocks and Building with SI Pillars is much better in Pilles.

- - - Updated - - -

here a short minitutorial WIP, but contains the most important

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74623-How-to-make-Prefabs-A16

@Royal Deluxe

Thx

this was the case

57284e-1508381125.png

Looks ok. I don't have any problems saving or changing sleeper volumes (or saving other changes). Can you please redownload the editor and check if that helps?

@Sinnocence

Anyone know what each rotation means? I want to turn certain blocks with out going in and out of game to figure it out.

Yes I know I am being lazy.

It's not possible atm. See Royal Deluxe's reply. Maybe I am going to implement something that works with the basic shapes (e.g. wedges). Everything else is probably too time-consuming to program.^^

@n2n1

by the way, i noticed that the checkbox for convenience could be moved\duplicate in the tab "Slippers volume" (nearby with "show sleepers volume") or even in a window "saving" dialog.

(this can be useful when do many correctings vanilla-prefabs - in some cases, often have to switch. And that would be better to control\see it)

Love your suggestions because they're very easy to implement.^^

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

I've hit a point with my bridge build where I think I should have made it facing north/south instead of east/west, it's current dimensions are 340 x 27 (length x width) and 126 high.

Made a new prefab in the editor with the dimensions 27 x 340 x 126 with the intention of inserting the bridge with a 90 degree rotation so I could save it facing the other way but I'm hit with a pop-up telling me my prefab is too small. Any way around this you can think of without me having to spawn it into a game somewhere with the desired rotation and re-extracting it?

I know I could make a giant empty prefab bigger than necessary but I've not had much luck in the past removing such a large amount of rows/columns without crashing the editor, even trying to add a bunch of rows/columns to the prefab once it hits this kinda size is a bit hit or miss with crashing (I've been adding blocks via the empty world to push out the size as required then saving/removing them in the editor).

I've hit a point with my bridge build where I think I should have made it facing north/south instead of east/west, it's current dimensions are 340 x 27 (length x width) and 126 high.

Made a new prefab in the editor with the dimensions 27 x 340 x 126 with the intention of inserting the bridge with a 90 degree rotation so I could save it facing the other way but I'm hit with a pop-up telling me my prefab is too small. Any way around this you can think of without me having to spawn it into a game somewhere with the desired rotation and re-extracting it?

I know I could make a giant empty prefab bigger than necessary but I've not had much luck in the past removing such a large amount of rows/columns without crashing the editor, even trying to add a bunch of rows/columns to the prefab once it hits this kinda size is a bit hit or miss with crashing (I've been adding blocks via the empty world to push out the size as required then saving/removing them in the editor).

I had this issue. I found I was in the wrong window. I was spose to be in the top view but was actually in The side view. Not sure if this is the issue for you. But its 99% mine lol most the time

Any way around this you can think of without me having to spawn it into a game somewhere with the desired rotation and re-extracting it?

I am afraid you have to wait for an update. I think this check is redundant anyway. So should be ok to remove it (or change it to a warning). There will be another update very soon because I have to set another, less annoying shortcut for this function:

- added control: double click on a block selects all connected blocks with identical id (if you use the selection tool / mode)

Afaik those crashes are fixed since version 0.3r.^^

small bug-report:

- no, unfortunately i also face this problem recently.

- if attached-prefabs.xml contains not defined name of sleeper-volume (in gamestages.xml) - the editor crashed when it loads.

(this all is true for the penultimate version)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the "Color" area looks fine for my Win3.11 :),

leaving only strange vertical "FRONT" and "ALLl"...

(sorry for outdated screenshot - some time i did not have the ability to post pictures)

KPMjZ0j.jpg

(but if it's only for the theme "classic", then it makes no sense to fix it - still, no one uses the theme "classic" ;))

Thanks for that !

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

I am afraid you have to wait for an update. I think this check is redundant anyway. So should be ok to remove it (or change it to a warning). There will be another update very soon because I have to set another, less annoying shortcut for this function:

There's no hurry, I just didnt want to break my no-extracting-from-A16 house rule but there's a few other little things cropped up so Im gonna get these out the way at some point.

As for the crashes, I can't really pinpoint when it becomes an issue but as a rule of thumb I'd stick to only adding/removing a few rows at a time and generally have no issues doing so. Doing this 30 times to get the desired increase is obviously not very practical but as I mentioned It's 30 secs work to add a row of blocks in game via the empty world and hitting the good old 'prefab save'.

Hey Pille,

Have you had a chance to look into the maze/dungeon generator? No pressure just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

small bug-report:

- no, unfortunately i also face this problem recently.

- if attached-prefabs.xml contains not defined name of sleeper-volume (in gamestages.xml) - the editor crashed when it loads.

(this all is true for the penultimate version)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the "Color" area looks fine for my Win3.11 :),

leaving only strange vertical "FRONT" and "ALLl"...

(sorry for outdated screenshot - some time i did not have the ability to post pictures)

KPMjZ0j.jpg

(but if it's only for the theme "classic", then it makes no sense to fix it - still, no one uses the theme "classic" ;))

Thanks for that !

I miss Windows 3.11 windows with networking. Had that back in my college computer lab.

@Spectral Force

Hey Pille,

Have you had a chance to look into the maze/dungeon generator? No pressure just curious.

Yep, found suitable c++ code in the internet. However, I haven't had time to modify the output of the code (it generates an image file but I need a table consisting of zeros and ones). So, I guess the first implementation of the generator will be in the next version...

@n2n1, Slaan

There is a (rare) crash that occurs when you load a prefab. Actually the function 'remove columns/rows' loads a 'cropped' version of the current prefab. I guess that's why we get those crashes.

But I have no clue why 'add columns/rows' can cause crashes.^^

Thanks for the bug report guys.

Yep, found suitable c++ code in the internet. However, I haven't had time to modify the output of the code (it generates an image file but I need a table consisting of zeros and ones). So, I guess the first implementation of the generator will be in the next version...

No worries, was just wondering if you had time to research it out. I have big plans :D

ok just one question hope it is a easy one and a way to actually fix this.

Ok so basically I want the prefabs I create to have doors that are locked and not unlocked so players will have to break through the doors to get to the inside and loot the prefabs. In Hal's Editor it was pretty simple click on the Block that is the door then check the box that said locked or unlocked your choice and sure enough save it go and spawn in the prefab and presto the doors were locked on the prefabs.

I want to do the same still. I want to make it a tad harder for players to get inside the prefabs and to not just open a door to get inside. Is there a way to lock doors with this editor? If not does anyone know any other way to lock the doors on completed prefabs.

Thank You.

ok just one question hope it is a easy one and a way to actually fix this.

Ok so basically I want the prefabs I create to have doors that are locked and not unlocked so players will have to break through the doors to get to the inside and loot the prefabs. In Hal's Editor it was pretty simple click on the Block that is the door then check the box that said locked or unlocked your choice and sure enough save it go and spawn in the prefab and presto the doors were locked on the prefabs.

I want to do the same still. I want to make it a tad harder for players to get inside the prefabs and to not just open a door to get inside. Is there a way to lock doors with this editor? If not does anyone know any other way to lock the doors on completed prefabs.

Thank You.

The states of doors and lights are tied to the meta values. There is no intuitive way to lock doors atm but you can do it (see Royal Deluxe's reply). The next update should fix this problem. :)

Hello Again,

ok I must be missing something. I click on the block that is the door and it shows that it is a door in the larger block ID section.

Now on the right side that shows all the tools I click on the EDIT Tab and I see the two areas for META and META 2 and I click there and put the number 4 in the area. Do I need to do anything else?

When I look at the Meta numbers the door still shows a number 0 in the block and it does not change to a number 4 so this is a bit confusing to me on how to change the Meta number for the door so it will be locked instead of unlocked when the prefab is spawned in.

Thank You once again.

Hmm I think I may have just figured it out didn't realize I actually had to click on the word META to change that value.... Sorry about that :)

Edited by SeabeeMan (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Pille's Prefab Editor icon substitute for Zombie.exe

Everyone that knows and uses the editor loves it. Its an invaluable tool for prefab creation, which in turn lets you create a custom world, in a sense. Now, we all love to customize stuff or we wouldnt be bothered with making prefabs. Right?

So, Ive always 'customized' darn near everything I touch. From bikes to cars to snowboards to computer cases and finally the OS/Programs itself. Why should my icons be any different?

With that said, Ive made a personal edit for the Zombie.exe icon. (aka Pille's Editor) that I'd like to share with you all.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the current icon and as a matter of fact, I think he's rather cute... for a zombie.

But, I wanted to remove the white background and after about 2 minutes work I came up with this design.

zombie.png

Grab it here --> download the png here
This is my Postimage account.

Edited by bigstep70 (see edit history)