Bad Company

StompyNZ

I keep an eye on the memory usage listed in task manager, but I have plenty of free space and an ssd so I've not been worried enough about swap file size.

The game server rarely goes over 2gb in task mgr though.

I'll start looking for hard faults, but I'm not seeing the same kind of issues jay is.

Yeah I was meaning more the lags you were getting, since I'm not seeing any real pauses at all. I disabled the swap file since thrashing an SSD vs just using ram seemed like a good idea :)

I have most of the rwg changes apart from a ...

bunch more custom hub layouts, but I am hesitant to add those atm due to the issues I've heard around custom prefabs on MP servers. I can add the Vanilla prefab changes to my rwg, but once I do that compatibility with current saves will be lost, and not everyone will want them so I've just been focused on the stuff that new versions from TFP wont affect.

The items overhaul will take a while as I have a lot of complex systems to code in and balance and a whole lot of ideas to test, but most parts cant just be added gradually as they are all reliant on each other. This wont be a typical modified vanilla, it is an extensive re-write of most of the way the game works.

Here's some notes I made at the start of a14 but didnt proceed with it beyond that stage when I heard bandits we being dropped from a15.

This was for a special game mode where all players spawn at 0,0. Some of it would carry over to the full game mode:

Bad Company - Hardcore Urban Combat Mode

World Generation
 a single hub with all players spawning at 0,0
 world border at 1000 meters
 zombie biome spawning at 10x normal
 uses all biomes with adjusted settings for urban environment
 custom hub layouts, township type town
 multiple hub layouts with 1 selected at random
 prefabs with specific loot items, quest notes, quest items
 supply crates at spawn point?
Prefab spawns heightened
 Big PoI's have large numbers of zombies
 Defend-able PoI's as bandit strongholds
Zombies
 cause double block damage
 have double health, take quad headshot damage
 wide range of special zombie types
   UMA zombies!
 boss zombies with special loot
   UMA zombies!
 all animals are hostile (if possible)
 daily hordes, increased wave sizes, reduced overall size
 increased zombie speed during the day by 25%
 reduced night speed by 25%
Bandits
 7 bandit factions, the leaders of The Seven (Pestilence, War, Famine, Death, The Maker, Dread, Dragon)
 Each faction has a stronghold
Characters
 Decent gear as starting equipment
 Class system using quests
   Medic - opens the advanced medical items and drugs
   Engineer - Advanced building and workstation options
   Militant - Weapons and explosives expert
Progression
 Complete skill and perk rebuild
XUi
 More military based HUD
Items
 Nanites
 Enhancement drugs
 Advanced chemistry
 Complex fuel and ammo manufacturing
 Advanced medical systems
 Mining is enhanced with extra elements, most as rare finds in common elements
 Bugs, Beetles, Worms as food source
 Modular Armour, with enhancement system (including buff while worn if it gets added), add light to hats without changing durability
 Modular Melee Weapons, to allow for enhancements
 Complete loot rebalance
Building
 Granular dirt
 worms and bugs in the dirt
 bugs in trash
 gradual density terrain upgrade system
 terrain repairs
Buff system
 Expansive wound and infection system
 Extend heat/cold effects by 15 degrees to avoid major issues with weather system, add sweat and shiver system
 Pain system
   effects from shock
   cardiac arrest (short time to treat before death)
 reduce instant heals (except nanite healing)
   bandages only stop bleeds and reduce infection chances
   exsanguination effects
Storylines
 First quest: craft class selection
 No stone-age phase
 Combat squad air-dropped to quarantine zone
 Starter quests leads to quest chain for killing the 7 horsemen

up to now sounds like fun ! especially the bandits strongholds and quests :)

You guys are doing some great work here from what I can see. Looking forward to trying it out.

Accuracy would have me in a 20 year old t shirt and boxer briefs.

...don't judge, they give me freedom AND control.

Murray Goldberg is my idol.

If you really wanna go the Murray route, they need to be tightie whities, and the zombie needs to be chilling in a recliner inside prefabs. Maybe a sleeper? Oh, and it needs to have enough speech ability to call you a moron before attacking.

Oh, those pauses went away when you did the =player change. I get normal spawning lag, but that happens in vanilla when 50 zombies spawn at once.

ah cool :)

btw watched the first half of your new vid, I think you broke something in the snow biome spawns ;) and you are getting way more zombies than my mod adds (especially if you have lowered the spawning option), so you might have set it more to what stallion has than what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys are doing some great work here from what I can see. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks. Will be looking to push out the new version early next week with Bandits and RWG changes included. First stage of rwg changes will just be my prefered rwgmixer with vanilla prefabs, and some changes to the prefab xmls to change the spawn groups, hopefully this doesnt mean that people will need the mod client side installed and its only the tts files that are not working correctly on MP atm.

For the bandits Im probably not going to include them as biome spawns but instead just as roaming hordes and poi spawns. I think that would fit better with my mod storyline rather than single bandits roaming around.

I'll leave the snow broken, it was the only respite I had. :)

Will eventually mess with snow to make it much harsher, weather wise, to compensate, but I do like the idea of no zombies in snow. Also thinking of doing bandits in a biome by biome "clan" setting, kind of like The 100's grounders. Not for performance, but for aesthetics.

New dude looks tight. Forester for sure.

I know you done small zombie fowl and rabbits etc, but I got killed within two pecks from a soletry chicken ?, a little excessive I think. Lethal hits equivalent to full human zombies by a chicken/rabbit is more akin to Monty Python law.... haha

Maybe the small things like zombie chicken and rabbits could cause harassment in tiny dosses than death.

In Snow Biomes I want : http://toddkuhns.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2012/10/Dead_Snow_Zombie.jpg

I know you done small zombie fowl and rabbits etc, but I got killed within two pecks from a soletry chicken ?, a little excessive I think. Lethal hits equivalent to full human zombies by a chicken/rabbit is more akin to Monty Python law.... haha

Maybe the small things like zombie chicken and rabbits could cause harassment in tiny dosses than death.

In Snow Biomes I want : http://toddkuhns.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2012/10/Dead_Snow_Zombie.jpg

Yeah when I do the bandits i'll be modding the items, so thats when I'll balance the zanimals hand items as well to be small damage (next version due in a couple days)

if you want to mod it yourself for now, copy the zombie hand item and give it a new id and name

Maybe this:

<item id="2000" name="handZAnimal">

<property name="Extends" value="handMaster"/>

<property name="IsDeveloper" value="true"/>

<property class="Action0">

<property name="DamageEntity" value="2"/>

<property name="DamageBlock" value="1"/>

<property name="Buff" value="bleeding,infection,stunned"/>

<property name="Buff_chance" value="0.04,0.04,0.04"/>

</property>

</item>

then reference it from the entityclasses.xml by adding:

<property name="HandItem" value="handZAnimal"/>

How do we add this to an existing save? Ive not messed with any of these XML's

if the 4 files included are vanilla you can just copy these ones over them and it should work with an existing save.

Next update will be a bit harder as it will include prefab and item modifications, and my custom rwg mixer, tho the mixer wil only take effect on new games so you could still run with an existing one but you wont get all of the new features.

I run Valmod Expansion, can i over-write your files over his? Not sure If valmod edits those 4 files

from memory val does edit all of those files and he has included UMA (which ive added to this mod). Compatibility will become much more difficult next update, so what might be easier is to copy the archetypes and entities that you want individually and add them to valmod, then include them in his spawning where needed.

Alternatively talk with val in his mod thread as he is welcome to add any of my archetypes if he wants. Most likely he would be willing to add the TFP profiles zombies in as they are just zombified version of the vanilla player profile archetypes

from memory val does edit all of those files and he has included UMA (which ive added to this mod). Compatibility will become much more difficult next update, so what might be easier is to copy the archetypes and entities that you want individually and add them to valmod, then include them in his spawning where needed.

Alternatively talk with val in his mod thread as he is welcome to add any of my archetypes if he wants. Most likely he would be willing to add the TFP profiles zombies in as they are just zombified version of the vanilla player profile archetypes

Where is just your section of the new archetypes that you created? Ill just add what you did to Valmars.

You might wanna add some expressions, makes quite a difference, and with the editor it's easy to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17674[/ATTACH]

Not much point until they fix the type=zombies issue. when type is player the expressions dont show up in game.

- - - Updated - - -

<!-- Bad Company Archetypes

to the bottom of the list is all yours?

there are 37 of them that ive added + 7 bandit leaders (to be released in next version), theres a section for valmod ones as well, at the very bottom as per commented section (21 of them)

I see. I only spawn UMAs sparingly and contextual at POIs.

Yeah that's the approach TFP have used, I thought maybe due to the memory issue, but after comments from Kin it seems they were not aware of the problem.

At this stage I'd rather have biome spawning UMA's over using the bugged type=zombies tho :)

Yeah that's the approach TFP have used, I thought maybe due to the memory issue, but after comments from Kin it seems they were not aware of the problem.

At this stage I'd rather have biome spawning UMA's over using the bugged type=zombies tho :)

Oh sure, I should've said "so far I only", having them all over the place is quite agreeable. Next step for me is making themed UMA-roaming hordes, like a sports team or workers or office folks or strange mutants.

Anyways, the expressions make a huge difference imho, the standard face just looks too bland.

Oh sure, I should've said "so far I only", having them all over the place is quite agreeable. Next step for me is making themed UMA-roaming hordes, like a sports team or workers or office folks or strange mutants.

Anyways, the expressions make a huge difference imho, the standard face just looks too bland.

yeah I started adding expressions to some but then when i realised they weren't showing up I stopped with it :)

I know I'll NEVER be able to go back to straight vanilla, because it is just too awesome to have a variety of zombies!

In search of a

, I ended up shooting some good footage of the different UMA's in a forest horde I thought I'd share, because they're awesome.

I can't wait until I come across the chickens and babies! :)

Archived