Bad Company

StompyNZ

Great zombies! How long does it take you to make one of these?

about 5 mins :p

the only tricky part is getting the mesh/texture names right. The items uma section doesnt include the unisex_ male_ female_ prefix so you have to guess a bit what it should be.

The face/body stats you can make in the profile editor then just copy the numbers into the xml for the dna section.

Here's another list of all slots and overlays from the texture bundle in case some of them are missing from the xmls.

I also noticed that the skins from the first walking dead DLC are still in the game (Lee, Luke, Michonne, Christa, Pete). Maybe you can use them for your zombies. :)

ZHRa6ky.jpg

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany

First version is done. I made a quick edit to the entitygroups.xml for a test run.

Not entirely convinced this will work long term the way it is now, as it is a massive memory hog on my system even with UMA textures set to half or low.

Might be that unless you have a grunty graphics card with lots of ram you will have problems with lots of different UMA entities spawning over time.

Anyway, any feedback on how well it runs and what system specs (gpu and ram) would be appreciated.

Should be fine to drop into an existing save as I haven't touched the vanilla entities, and if you revert it then should not be a problem as long as there are no living versions of the modded entities floating around.

Use caution if trying to run this on a server as you might end up crashing many of the players due to the memory usage.

So Stallionsden had a go and was running into the same issue with memory usage, so I will have to rethink the spawning a bit and come up with some way of limiting the number of different archetypes on screen at one time. Will probably need to have different types for different biomes, and add a few variations to the PoI spawners.

- - - Updated - - -

Just... Wow. That's pretty damn close, too.

He's a semi boss :)

I'll give it a whirl and post some specs later today. My server specs suck but all data is useful, I suppose.

You can always create a launcher that will write the Xml based off of memory usage. Once you have an idea of how much each entity uses that is.

Can xmls be dynamically updated while the game is running? That would open a whole new slew of possibilities.

Watch out for this guy, he is tough and flails his arms rapidly (from rapid forum posting). You don't want to get in a fist fight with him :)

ZombieCur.jpg

If this is Guppycur it is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy offf lol. He needs a skirt hahahahaha and pink braids :-D :-P

- - - Updated - - -

Lol talking bout skirts. My son haha played mp with me selected madmole and put a skirt on him haha i cracked it lol :-/.

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany

First version is done. I made a quick edit to the entitygroups.xml for a test run.

Not entirely convinced this will work long term the way it is now, as it is a massive memory hog on my system even with UMA textures set to half or low.

Might be that unless you have a grunty graphics card with lots of ram you will have problems with lots of different UMA entities spawning over time.

Anyway, any feedback on how well it runs and what system specs (gpu and ram) would be appreciated.

Should be fine to drop into an existing save as I haven't touched the vanilla entities, and if you revert it then should not be a problem as long as there are no living versions of the modded entities floating around.

Use caution if trying to run this on a server as you might end up crashing many of the players due to the memory usage.

Oh nice :) been waiting to give this a try.

Will test it and advise, if you made spawning anything like your initial Bad Company I can see why texture memory is dying lol.

I have added all the standard UMA zombies from vanilla to the normal spawns and that has caused no issues so hopefully this wont kill my system ;)

Oh nice :) been waiting to give this a try.

Will test it and advise, if you made spawning anything like your initial Bad Company I can see why texture memory is dying lol.

I have added all the standard UMA zombies from vanilla to the normal spawns and that has caused no issues so hopefully this wont kill my system ;)

I havent touched the spawners yet so its just regular spawning amounts for now. The entity groups I have done are just a real quick job, most of the time was spent on the archetypes and a bit on some customised entities (most are just default zombie01 clones)

I suspect the main issues is just the total number of different textures. With 10 or so at a time it should be fine, but when it starts hitting 30+ and the ones that are dead are still held in memory it starts to have issues. I'm not sure how long before they get dropped from memory so will do some more testing over the next few days and refine it to something that runs smoothly.

I'm running a 1 gig gpu so it tends to push stuff to ram, and I have the swap file disabled, so a bit of system adjustment might also allow it to run better if I turn the swap back on.

Will you be making some sort of editor, that uses say, image files of some sort to be able to add/remove UMA features to a nude doll, then generate the proper xmls?

...'cause that would be cool.

you and me together lol... we need a editing tool like guppy mentioned as well as a ui one where you can visually move the ui around on your screen haha to where you like it :-P..Peer pressure lol .......

Been asking for the UI one for a while, couldn't crack that one on my own; I feel I could write a windows based editor for the wysiwyg UMA editor though, if someone wants to map me some uma features to some .png files. :)

Or show me where to look. Full list of archetypes, and someone to help me make image files from them.

Feedback: So... it should be said that I've only just updated to A15 Release, and I've no clue which UMA's are yours and which are theirs.

Saw a lot of Willie... like, a lot. Then after a bunch of those, I started getting the others so I think all is good there.

Swat Team girl? guy? is extremely dark. Thought the textures were broken, until I got right up on it, and turned on a miner helmet.

And I get really weird pauses while walking around. Several seconds of video freezing, but if I was moving or zombies were moving, when the game resumed we were all in new places. I'm gonna uninstall the UMA mod later tonight to see if that's it, but it kind of makes sense; when a zombie spawns out of view it locks it up for a few seconds while it loads textures. That is a killer.

Client is

Core i5 4690 (4 x 3.9GHz CPU) - 6MB Cache

8gb RAM

GTX 980 ti

SSD

Server is

AMD A8-455M APU (4 CPUs), ~ 1.6GHz

8gb RAM

SSD

...but the server never indicated any issues, this really seemed client side.

Had some time to test, very nice work on the zombies :)

I altered the spawn chances of all the UMA zombies to match what I had assigned for the vanilla UMA zombies (around 0.05).

Was working great but on a couple of occasions now the frames just dive after an hour or two of play, dropping from 80-120FPS to around 6-10FPS and staying there.

Neither time were there any zombies about within sight or sound, could understand if I had a horde of UMA zombies on the screen...

Texture memory must be stockpiling somewhere I assume but I had no unusual screen objects, terrain blacking out etc.

In comparison I did some tests with spawning UMA zombies in A14 and my texture memory seemed to start showing errors when I added 25 more UMA zombies to the mix when I already had 50 on screen.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I will keep trying some different settings to see if I can get it running smoother. If not I will probably have to really limit the biome spawning uma's which would be a pity, and instead have them assigned to various PoI groups instead.

One fix I have found if your fps tanks suddenly and stays there is enter the video settings and hit apply as that seemss to flush the caches. Any spawned UMA's will go all weird with the textures but otherwise it should allow you to keep playing and new spawns will look normal.

@guppy, they dont have any UMA zombies outside of PoI spawners or hordes, so any biome/town spawned ones will be what I added.

I will have another look at the swat guy and girl. I added them last minute so only did a real quick look at the colors so they might need to be a bit brighter for non light users.

Is y'alls lag the same as mine? 'cause even the FPS still says 80+ when my video stalls. I'll have to test it w/o the uma's tomorrow (just replace the xml's with vanilla and rejoin the same game, correct?), I thought I would have time tonight, but Dance Mom's came on, so... :)

The stalled cars must be poi's then, 'cause that's where I saw them. I thought they were random biome decorations, guess not.

Is y'alls lag the same as mine? 'cause even the FPS still says 80+ when my video stalls. I'll have to test it w/o the uma's tomorrow (just replace the xml's with vanilla and rejoin the same game, correct?), I thought I would have time tonight, but Dance Mom's came on, so... :)

The stalled cars must be poi's then, 'cause that's where I saw them. I thought they were random biome decorations, guess not.

you mean the cars on the roads? Those will just be biome spawns then, which will be the ones I added.

An easy way to tell is from the names, mine are all ZombieSomething where Something is a proper name rather than things like cheerleader, stripper etc, with the exception of Warlord and the male/female SWAT zombies. TFP ones also have localisation settings so the names all have a space in them I think.

I'm not getting the stuttering so much, but that sounds more like the chunk loading pause rather than UMA related, or it could be the uma textures, but not something I'm getting.

Saw a lot of Willie... like, a lot. Then after a bunch of those, I started getting the others so I think all is good there.

I'm not entirely sure how good the spawner code is. Everything has the same chance in the zombiesall group but you tend to see a lot more of some than others.

I've seen some very weird results in the past with large groups, so its possible it uses the sequential rolls rather than a single roll like the cell rules do in the mixer.

Did a play test with some changes to the entitygroups

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany (v1.0.1)

Still getting the memory issue and having to use the apply vid settings to clear the cache occasionally (3 times in 1 game day), but felt like a better balance of uma vs vanilla models in the biomes and town spawns.

Next version I'll go through and apply some changes to the biome spawners and make groups for each biome then split the uma's into different biomes.

Archived