True Survival

Spider

I'm mostly looking forward for the new buffs you'll come up with. I remember what you did to injuries/diseases/poisoning in A16. The buff system was very limited back then, yet yours were so creative and rich. The new system is much more powerful, but since A17 I don't see any interesting mods about it. Vanilla has awesome book system now, but food/injuries/infections etc are rather primitive. I have high hopes for True Survival in this regard.

Howdy all. Glad to see some are still looking for a challenge. So let's get started. I am building on the A16's Profession system this time around, I want to give the player more choices to make their player feel unique and bring more options to how you can start your game. So with that in mind I am working on a Positive and Negative Trait(perks) system to go along side the Profession system. Upon spawning in the first time you will have 5 points to spend. You can spend them on Positive Traits, Negative Traits or Professions. All Negative Traits will cost 1 point and when purchased give back more points to spend. Positive Traits and Professions will all cost points.Here is what I have so far. All this is of course just a draft and I’m open to suggestions for changes and additions.

Negative Traits

Slow Driver- 5% Slower Vehicle Speed; cost 1 point; gives 2 points

Sleepy Head-Needs to rest in bed 20% longer; cost 1point; gives 2 points

Clumsy-10% more noise when moving; cost 1 point; gives 2 points

All Thumbs-10% Slower Crafting, 10% Slower Lockpicking; cost 1 point; gives 2 points

Weak Stomach-15% greater chance for Food illnesses; cost 1 point; gives 3 points

Agoraphobic-10% Slower Aim, 10% more stamina usage Outside; cost 1 point; gives 3 points

Claustrophobic-10% Slower Aim, 10% more stamina usage Inside cost 1 point; gives 3 points

Bad Leg- Random chance when moving or landing to trigger Bad Leg debuff; cost 1 point; gives 3 points

Asthmatic- 20% Slower Stam regain; cost 1 point; gives 3 points

Out of Shape- 5% Slower encumbrance speed, 5% More stam per swing, 5% Slower stam regain; cost 1 point; gives 3 points

Smoker- Tobacco Addiction, 20% slower stam regen while running, 10% slower top end speed; cost 1 point; gives 4 points

Hemophobic- 20% Less Healing from first aid; cost 1 point; gives 4 points

Thin Skinned- 10% more chance to get scratch and bites; cost 1 point; gives 4 points

Weak- 10% Slower encumbrance speed, 10% More stam per swing, 10% Slower stam regain cost 1 point; gives 4 points

Positive Traits

Fast Driver- 5% Faster Vehicle Speed; cost 1 point

Wakeful - 20% faster tired recovery; cost 1 point

Graceful -10% less noise; cost 1 point

Dextrous- 10% Faster Crafting, 10% Faster Lockpicking; cost 1 point

Iron Gut -15% Less chance for Food illnesses; cost 2 point

Outdoors Man- 10% Less weather effects; cost 2 points

Fit- 5% Less incumbrance speed, 5% Less stam per swing, 5% Faster stam regain; cost 3 points

Thick Skinned- 10% less chance to get scratch and bites; cost 3 point

Gymnest- 10% Less Stam jumping, 10% farther safe fall, 10% higher jumping; cost 3 points

Medic- 20% More Healing from first aid; cost 3 point

Amateur Mechanic- Starts with Bicycle & Mini Bike Recipes; cost 4 point

Hunter- Track Deer & Pigs; cost 4 point

Runner-20% Faster stam regen while running, 10% Faster top end speed; cost 4 point

Stout 10% Less encumbrance slowness, 10% Less stam per swing, 10% Faster stam regain; cost 4 points

Professions

Fireman- Cost 8 points

Police Officer - Cost 8 points

Ranger - Cost 8 points

Bouncer - Cost 8 points

Chef - Cost 8 points

Burglar- Cost 8 points

Carpenter- Cost 9 points

Mason- Cost 9 points

Soldier- Cost 9 points

Fitness Instructor- Cost 9 points

Electrician- Cost 9 points

Metal Worker- Cost 10 points

Mechanic - Cost 10 points

Doctor- Cost 11 points

Farmer- Cost 11 points

Chemist - Cost 11 points

- - - Updated - - -

The Professions will be mostly the same as they were in A16(on the 1st page). So to get a profession you would need to pick a few Negative Traits to get enough points. Also you could choose 2 Professions from the start with this system. O and yes I borrowed heavily from Project Zomboid.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)

Also I have 22 action skills (Blade,Blunt,Archery,Pistol,ex) that you gain xp in as you use them and as you level these skills you will get better with the tool/weapon and unlock combos. I have 52 Crafting Skills, Every quality item in the game has its own crafting skill that you improve the quality of the item by crafting more of them.

No and yes. With the way I have it set up I can set exactly how many of any specific item you need to craft to get to the next level. It can be different per item and per crafting level for each item. So balancing should be much, much easier. Also I was thinking about maybe having each repair item for tools/weapon being unlocked when you hit level 4 crafting for that item. So you could find in loot repair materials for the Iron Pickaxe and repair it but until you hit Iron Pickaxe Crafting level 4 you could not craft the repair item. I think this would make since because you don't know how to do everything within a crafting skill at the start and because tools/weapons will break at 0 durability. This idea should make spam crafting less cheesy and actually useful because you can't repair it and they break,

@Spider:

Could always use character level or days survived to gate LBD improvement? i.e. Say max gain(cap) of 5 pts via LBD per character level, or 1-3 pts via LBD per day survived. Reasoning behind this is people need both practice AND time to reflect on mistakes in order to show real improvement. No one becomes a master savant overnight. This keeps LBD, but removes the spamcrafting(undesirable) element.

Sounds very promising, but a ton of work. I look forward to playing with the results.

Edited by Cernwn (see edit history)

I keep thinking and I still can't see a good way to implement 'spam crafting'. If you make the required crafted item amount small, we will quickly do the necessary job and will enjoy the top quality tools. If you make it long and hard, we will still grind it, but spend long time and feeling miserable. The result is the same: we skip all the 'brown-green' steps and will use top quality tools the moment we can afford it.

Maybe if we needed to loot the required parts (like now with steel tools) then it could work. We would craft the tools as soon as we got enough parts, then after some days we looted more and crafted next tool and so on. But it can backfire that if we don't loot enough parts, we have the tool broken and we cannot repair it. IDK.

I know a lot of people miss old LBD, but I like the current vanilla system much better.

@Cerwn-

I thought about this over night and decided to do some testing this morning to see if it was possible. And to my surprise it was. I think using player levels as gates to the crating skills would be a great idea. Each crafting skill can be adjusted individually. So stoneaxe crafting quality levels could unlock at player levels- 3,5, 7, 10,15 and other skills could unlock at other levels. You would still need to complete the needed amount of crafting for each item for each level but the effect of leveling up would not be felt until you reached them minimum level requirement.

So Stoneaxe crafting could be set up like so-

To reach Quality lv2 Stoneaxe Crafting you need to craft 20 Stone axes and reach player level 3

To reach Quality lv3 Stoneaxe Crafting you need to craft 40 Stone axes and reach player level 5

To reach Quality lv4 Stoneaxe Crafting you need to craft 60 Stone axes and reach player level 7

To reach Quality lv5 Stoneaxe Crafting you need to craft 75 Stone axes and reach player level 10

To reach Quality lv6 Stoneaxe Crafting you need to craft 100 Stone axes and reach player level 15

With this system you could craft all 295 Stone axes on the first day but you would not get the effects until you hit each required player level. I would think this would calm the twitchy nerves of those players that feel forced to complete an objective that is available to do(spam crafting) and if it did not it would at lest limit the ability to get OP real fast from doing it.

I am glad you are back!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

So far, Alpha 18 is great. I will get bored after a while so I will definitely use your mod. I am currently playing Navezgane, haven't played it since A13.

They still need to rebalance looting/crafting ratio.

One thing where you are great and where you should focus (I know you will) is skill/perk tree. Some skills/perks are great, while some are just okay, meh. There should be at least 5 good unique builds.

P.S. Can you take a look at NitroGen RWG generator? It creates better RWG maps than InGame RWG does. Could you somehow combine your mod with worlds made in NitroGen RWG generator?

@xForcerx-

Thanks, it's good to be back. As for Skill Tree I’m doing something very different from vanilla. I'm going more RPG and less Arcade RPG(see above). So for TS nearly all purchasable Skills/Perks will be purchased at the start of your game. You will pick who your character was before the apocalypse and then try and stay alive as them. There will be some things you can spend points on like action skills levels and weapon combos (after you unlock them by gaining a set amount of experience with that weapon).All recipes will have 2 ways to unlock them, find books in loot that teach you the recipe or by collecting enough of the crafted item and studying it to learn how to make it. And you will still be able to collect an item in loot to learn more Professions. So for this system there will be hundreds of different builds a person could play. Just as an example I picked a bunch of random starting skills in testing and ended up with a graceful agoraphobic Park Ranger that's out of shape, smokes and has a bad leg. If that's not role playing I don't know what is :) And ya I have been keeping an eye on that NitroGen Thread it looks very good, when I get to doing the maps I’ll look more into it.

@Marinxar-

All I’ll say for now is you won't be building to keep zombies out but something much worse ………..muahahahahaha

@xForcerx-

Thanks, it's good to be back. As for Skill Tree I’m doing something very different from vanilla. I'm going more RPG and less Arcade RPG(see above).

Even more great news

@Marinxar-

All I’ll say for now is you won't be building to keep zombies out but something much worse ………..muahahahahaha

Oooooo STOKED.

Ok here's what I have been able to do to the Main Player Stats. Tell me what you think.Easy ones first-

• Thirst will still be thirst no changes
  • Current Stamina will be like vanilla
  • Maximum possible Health (Wellness)will be raised by eating cooked meals with wellness while having at least a Good Diet. Lose Wellness by becoming Malnourished or Dyeing.
  • Current Health will be your current hit points and will go down when damaged, gain health by eating cooked meals while having at least a Good Diet or resting in beds or furniture.
  • Maximum possible Stamina (Wellness)(Fatigue)will be determined by Wellness same as above. It will not be the players food stat. During the day your maximum stamina will go down until you get Tired and need to rest on a bed or furniture to re raise it. Many consumable items will stave off the Tired debuff.
  • Custom Fullness Stat that will function more like pre A17 Food Stat did. Using stamina will increase the speed that Fullness decreases and eating foods will refill it

Also have an improved Nutrition system that I will give more details on later

Ok here's what I have been able to do to the Main Player Stats. Tell me what you think.Easy ones first-
  • Maximum possible Health (Wellness)will be raised by eating cooked meals with wellness while having at least a Good Diet. Lose Wellness by becoming Malnourished or Dyeing.
  • Current Health will be your current hit points and will go down when damaged, gain health by eating cooked meals while having at least a Good Diet or resting in beds or furniture.
  • Maximum possible Stamina (Wellness)(Tiredness)will be determined by Wellness same as above. It will not be the players food stat. During the day your maximum stamina will go down until you get Tired and need to rest on a bed or furniture to re raise it. Many consumable items will stave off the Tired debuff.
  • Custom Fullness Stat that will function more like pre A17 Food Stat did. Using stamina will increase the speed that Fullness decreases and eating foods will refill it

It looks great on paper!

• Maximum possible Stamina (Wellness)(Tiredness)will be determined by Wellness same as above. It will not be the players food stat. During the day your maximum stamina will go down until you get Tired and need to rest on a bed or furniture to re raise it. Many consumable items will stave off the Tired debuff.

Yes, does look good. I always felt food is not getting the attention it needed, for a proper survival game.

In a16.2 what was the tool to move a workstation again? Sorry, I can't remember it for the life of me.

Pretty sure it was a crowbar ?...but there were also the wrench at a time to move stuff. Had to soften them up by damaging first, and then finish off with wrench... Can't remember which one came with which build now.

Edited by Marinxar (see edit history)

Yup, still going to have a Crowbar that will pick up whole blocks instead of destroying them. Also the other tools I have so far are Claw Hammer, Wrench, Screwdriver, Mason Hammer, Concrete Sledge and Welding Torch. When used to break world blocks each will give you unique components of the block. And all but the screwdriver are used as unique upgrading tools to upgrade blocks of each Building Skills(Wood,Stone,Iron,Concrete,Steel).

Ahhh, I meant with the true survival a16.2, I think I may be using the version where nothing drops, only breaks down. [i remember the dolly, but that isn't in there, and I also remember when the wrench let you relocate crafting stations, but I don't think that works either, and the vanilla crowbar doesn't exist either, I tried the reinforced concrete bar, but no go.] I think I remember you (spider) mentioning that workstation drops were disabled for the time being to prevent a multiplayer exploit. [people breaking into a base and just stealing all the crafting stations]