Project Slaanhatten

Slaan

I appreciate that. Definitely looking to get back into it. Been watching your tutorial videos on youtube so I can get back up to speed on the ingame prefab editor. Can you point me to a list of all of the shortcut keys? That will help me tremendously. 😅

The basic controls are more or less the same as the older versions of the built in editor we could get the hacky DLL for if you ever used some of the early versions of that , othrwise just press escape and check the help menu there for the basics. Got a bunch of videos on the editor itself, outside of the map edits i do in paint.net im pretty much 100% in game now the way it should be, it's so much better these days.

The selection box is all - it's the Prefab masters lightsaber, probably the only thing to really practise with otherwise the rest of the editor now is just easy to use where it used to be an absolute ♥♥♥♥ around to have to learn a third party editor, it's features and especially having to rely on other people to carry work between versions... im sure im gonna run into a wall headfirst at some point but so far there have been no barriers, a few bugs and wonky bit here and there, but i pretty much build what I want how I want to now and it couldn't be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of the editor,

How to shamelessly steal someones work to save time, use it as a starting point and end up with something totally differnt, enjoying the best of both.

OP has been updated with new links.

Project Slaanhatten - new cusom map, treat this as WIP and hopefully learn from some of my mistakes :cower: it's not all bad and there's some brillant stuff to see but... you'll know what I mean

Prefab Pack v3 - Theres around 200+ random prefabs to throw around your map via the world editor

The plan was to hold onto this till 18 but as we still have some time yet and I've made huge amounts of progress I thought it probably better to see 17 out with a bang and use the feedback to roll with some new ideas in 18.

Feedback whether it's good, bad or ugly is not just welcome but strongly encouraged :jaded:

I'd have liked to do a feature release video but that will have to wait for the time being.

Hi Slaan, how is it going? Curious how somebody can be of any help. It‘s a mammoth project. What about setting up a server, I dont mind donating monthly fee, where people get assigned tasks for helping you out?

This is still me toying with ideas mainly, slowly building the prefab pack up. Gotta remember everything used on the map with few exceptions can be recycled or used again as the starting point for something new. If people really wanna help out, get building those prefabs... thats what takes so long, having to build pretty much most of the props from scratch before being able to place them.

I'd challange people to go back through their creations and tear them down into re-useable pieces, pretty much every custom prefab I've seen on this forum has some cool little props contained within and it's having access to a library of these that really speeds up fleshing out a themed area within a map.

I pushed further with this map than I expected, but it's still mainly a whole bunch of unfished ideas, you think you could do the streets better... give it a go, want to expand on the sewer prefabs... go for it, you've got a maps worth of experimenting to look at and learn from :triumphant:

We currently have a server with the Slaanhattan map. We are having trouble finding wasteland biomes. Is there an image of the map or can you give coordinates of some wasteland areas? Thanks! Love the map!

I never got as far as tweaking the biomes, i don't think there are any large areas of actual wasteland. Still to really delve into the biomes and how best to use them, but there are some guides around and it shouldn't be too hard to modify the biomes file from the project folder to suit your needs.

I am proud of what I put together and I suppose it is "playable" but it's still better thought of as my testing playground rather than a refined and finished "thing"

OP has been updated to include V4 of the prefab pack.

It now includes all required prefabs to make the maps work in a single download, special thanks to the authors. Check the version text in the folder for a list of contents and links. This is the prefab files only, i have not included the original configs/modlets for generating new maps but it's now quite ideal for use in the world editor.

Another tutorial video specifically with the world editor prefab pack in mind. You wanna contribute? then this is most certainly the video for you. All custom prefabs are welcome whether it's a secy looking lamp post or a walking dead prison, whether or not you can save someone else 5 mins or 5 days it's all good.

Another tutorial video specifically with the world editor prefab pack in mind. You wanna contribute? then this is most certainly the video for you. All custom prefabs are welcome whether it's a secy looking lamp post or a walking dead prison, whether or not you can save someone else 5 mins or 5 days it's all good.

Haha....I see wyd there lol...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Ive heard from a reliable source that Magoli wont be working on Compo in A19, so a few of us will probably hobble together a working copy for A19. Im working on other prefab projects for 19, but as soon as the train and highway set is complete, compo will probably be next on the list.

I hope all is ok with Magoli. Thanks for taking this on, I love the Compo pack.

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2020 at 6:19 AM, Slaan said:

Certainly is,  the original post and download links have been updated this morning.

Hi Slaan, welcome back... Good to see you playing 7d2d again and doing some prefabbing.  Lots of new blocks to play with as well as in-game prefab editor improvements.

Also, if you were not already aware, you can use the "Block replacement" tool as an alternative to the K menu since it was disabled in normal play.

On 11/1/2020 at 5:47 AM, Laz Man said:

Hi Slaan, welcome back... Good to see you playing 7d2d again and doing some prefabbing.  Lots of new blocks to play with as well as in-game prefab editor improvements.

Also, if you were not already aware, you can use the "Block replacement" tool as an alternative to the K menu since it was disabled in normal play.

I'm not sure I ever really used the properties to do block replacements and as I've never really made much other than 'bits' of things since A16 so in terms of maintaining the stuff in the pack, the workload has generally been much kinder keeping things up to date, prefabbing in general is in a pretty good place now.  

Im holding off building a Slaanhatten 2.0 while I still mess around with ideas but I think it'll end up a mix of all the different methods I've used in the past from around A12 onwards, just designed better and a hell of a lot more user friendly when people want to build their own layout.  We'll be playing Sim City in the world editor eventually 😁