Medieval Times?

Valmar

That was written before your two new replies, sorry about that.

The server claims it was still up in the task manager but its possible my net went off at some point last night while I slept and the server never reset itself. I manually restarted it. As my IP is not static it must had changed when it reset.

Sorry about that. Servers aren't usually my thing. I'll investigate later into setting up a static IP to use for the future.

The ttp files may be best zipped up and shared here for Stompy, assuming they're things you want to be made into random POIs. Or just created into prefabs in general.

FYI when going around last night I had several instances where I ran out of land... Had to wait a bit at the void to wait for it to generate. No clue if that's ram or network. It eventually generated and is no more than a nuisance, but I don't know if it points to a larger problem.

hey u zombie-Knights (LOL)

I have repaired the first Castle. Here are some screenshots of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12959[/ATTACH]

Next I repair the One from Pacco and then U can download them both here.

This one had millions of misrotations - lol - I hope Pacco's castle has not so much wedges like the first one.

till then

Mag

@Guppy

I don't think its a memory issue. I've been keeping tabs on it and memory wise it hasn't been as bad as I expected - especially given all the nightmare stories I hear about memory leaks. It could be a general PC or connection issue. My net isn't the best around. Nothing I can do about that sadly. Dont worry about it effecting the end result, however. The map is just to build the prefabs. at the moment.

This one had millions of misrotations - lol - I hope Pacco's castle has not so much wedges like the first one.

till then

Mag

Hey mag did you get a chance to have a look at mine the one with the treb ontop? No rush I'm sure you are busy

I'm happy to do the rwg for you guys, just gimme the specs you want etc :)

I'm basing my biomes on it being set in uk/eu and higher tree counts due to less deforestation etc :)

I plan to replace one of the wasteland biomes with a much greener and cooler version of the plains with some small forest sub biomes, as well as keep the current plains biome (with a few tweaks).

I think I also made it more likely to rain.

I'd suggest just cramming out whatever buildings your inspiration sparks atm. We need a lot more to fill out the world and I can restrict the castles etc to the hubs so that's not a problem.

till then

Mag

That looks awfully alot like the castle i did. It was my first prefab ever that fit inside a city block haha lol. Even has the bedrock round the moat for the zs that were lurking in the water

The size is all the more reason why we need some small POIs to litter the world with first and foremost. Though I believe we can adjust the size of the map. Not 100% certain, but I think we can. So that is a possible option.

As for what I'm looking for thats more something Sorrow and I should discuss. I don't think it really effects the prefabs. I assume common sense is enough to dictate what can be used for a medieval theme building. Though I guess its worth mentioning what I expect to see used as building material:

Log

Wood

Sod

Thatch

Cobblestone

Flagstone

Stone

Brick (rare)

For most of the small towns and villages I see it being primarily made out of wood, sod and thatch with very little stone-based blocks used. That seems more like what you'd find in more robust cities and not really little villages. Very little wood would have any paint on it. Maybe some of the small villages will be walled in with log walls.

This isn't to say there can't be any "pretty" or "fancy" houses. Those are certainly a thing. I just envision them being something you'd see in a castle city rather than in some small town or village. This is a "problem" I've seen in the past with Minecraft. Too much focus on eye-candy and making people go "wow so cool!" Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you, but I want a different atmosphere than that. Besides we all know the players will be more than eager to bling up their own castle kingdoms when the mod is done. Lol.

I also have "Common" and "Elegant" versions of some loot contains. Currently this includes bookcase, chest, wardrobe and cabinet. I will add more in the future aswell. I plan to have prefab settlemans drop loot that is more appropiate to what the local is like. For example a logging village will have a higher chance at finding tools or lumber. A fishing village would have fish. A fancy noble house will have finer things like better books or clothes.

Though those are things I can add in later.

Beds are rare as most will sleep on hay beds (another new block). Depends on the locale.

I guess what I'm looking for his more dark in the sense that I don't want regal and majestic castles-like buildings littered everywhere. Some, certainly, you have to have some for the theme. But I dont really want a map full of nothing but stone, brick and cobble with elegant pretty lining and pretty decoration. Though again, there is plenty of space for lots of those. But they will not be the primary type of prefab you encounter. At least thats how I envision it.

I like your vision. Medieval times were ugly and harsh, so I would expect that in a medieval conversion too. Not pretty fantasy houses with my little pony themes. ;-)

Also not criticizing if people want to make pretty worlds, I just don't want that personally on 7DtD or it's mods. :-)

Internal decorative blocks may also be an issue.

Maybe some shelves and tables that are containers would be handy (baskets, sacks etc. would be ideal). The dressers, desks etc. all work in nicer POI's but peasant hovels not so much so.

The chest selection currently is rather limited to stay themed lol.

I think first step is to come up with a list of required buildings to make a hub function.

Main Hall or Castle Keep (centerpoint of the village/hub)

Smithy

Stables

Waterwell

Tavern? (a place where travelers stay)

Peasant housing (needs variety)

What else?

Maybe have each person create their 'Castle' that can be used for a hub, and some of us can create the housing.

The more I work with hubs and due to the current issues with them in 13.6 I'm strongly leaning towards doing hubs slaanhattan style where you create the hub in game the way you like it (by whatever means you want) then export the entire hub as several large square prefabs to jigsaw back together in a custom hub.

Broken tower ruin, ruins in general

Small Shrines (variety here will help flesh out the wilderness, death shrine (semi subterranean, gravestones etc) vs nature shrine/bush tree configuration/pattern ala Druids as opposed, sun shrine (think pillars or stonehenge, no roof, lots of options here if you want to tie in magic/gods etc.)

Temples

Marketplaces

Tannery

Merchants (bottom floor usually shop, stone based construction, upper floor living, wood based).

Dungeon (think prison not orcs ;) )

Alchemist

Barns (ties in with stables, less fencing)

Wagons

Val, get familiar with hals world editor, I think you'll like that you can place prefabs in game. Hit up his thread he's got a video of it. I think you'll like it.

I've tried before in the past, and even just the other day for this very purpose. I simply can't get it to work in my game no matter how long I fiddle with it. I got annoyed and decided to stick with what I know best. I might try it again at some point but I'd for the moment I'd rather spend my time on doing things I know I can do rather than figure out what stupid mistakes I am making that keep making everything fail on me.

I like your vision. Medieval times were ugly and harsh, so I would expect that in a medieval conversion too. Not pretty fantasy houses with my little pony themes. ;-)

Also not criticizing if people want to make pretty worlds, I just don't want that personally on 7DtD or it's mods. :-)

Pretty much, yeah. :)

Oh well just blew up what i had done so far. The si on this game is crap.

Val please tell me you have made the strength of blocks 1000x stronger then vanilla

Strength and SI are two different things, but I get your point. In A12.5 the SI was hardcoded and even if increased it past its max (trussing I believe?) it would still fall. For the mod I may indeed increase the SI since players wont have access to the more load-baring blocks. So flagstone might have the same SI as steel. Or whatever block is decided to be the 'best" and most expensive. They might all be adjusted (increased) to fill the new roles. Durability in general more than likely will need some minor touches as well but I'll have to wait and see.

Maybe some shelves and tables that are containers would be handy (baskets, sacks etc. would be ideal). The dressers, desks etc. all work in nicer POI's but peasant hovels not so much so.

I've been working on that as I go along. I imagine Sorrow will have more specific ones since he will be including modded assets. As for myself, Im limited to the XML. Though I have already come up with a few things. Common/elegant chests, bookcases and cabinets. A wardrobe (will make variations of this aswell) an armory (will also make variants later) and possibly down the line I will add a "fur sack" of some sort. Sounds naughty.

Variation is easy, but VISUAL variation can be tricky. I do have some ideas in mind but all this is really something to worry about further along down the line. Going to need the buildings to put the loot containers in first. :)

Also I especially liked the idea of small shrines. Will definitely be looking into that.

Server-related update:

So setting up a static IP (public not local) is apparently not something I can do. I thought it was possible but I was apparently thinking of local IP and not the public one. So whenever my net decides to die (with my ISP it can be fairly often, sadly, they've been having hiccups lately) I will need to update the front page with the renewed public IP. Annoying I know but its best I can do for now. I'll do my best to keep it updated though so please bare with me.

Also! I have updated the blocks.xml with new things to play with and new icons for a lot of the new blocks I've added. I can't promise to have them all yet and in the future as I add new blocks it may take a while for me to update them with icons. But for now most of it should be covered. You can find the new blocks.xml and icons in the OP.

So setting up a static IP (public not local) is apparently not something I can do. I thought it was possible but I was apparently thinking of local IP and not the public one. So whenever my net decides to die (with my ISP it can be fairly often, sadly, they've been having hiccups lately) I will need to update the front page with the renewed public IP. Annoying I know but its best I can do for now. I'll do my best to keep it updated though so please bare with me.

http://www.noip.com/ That may help with your dynamic IP problem.

Thanks Khurune. I'll look into that tomorrow to see if its something I can make use of.

Unrelated but every time I see you post I feel like saying this so I'll say it now as you're addressing me:

I really, really love your avatar.

Made some changes on what we talked about to the prefabs Val. Got a few more things to mess with then I'll be ready to send over all my prefabs. Also started working on a small little village like in bravheart. All the huts are built in and around the terrain. Is looking good and I think will be a good fit .

I'm happy to do the rwg for you guys, just gimme the specs you want etc :)

I'm basing my biomes on it being set in uk/eu and higher tree counts due to less deforestation etc :)

I plan to replace one of the wasteland biomes with a much greener and cooler version of the plains with some small forest sub biomes, as well as keep the current plains biome (with a few tweaks).

I think I also made it more likely to rain.

I'd suggest just cramming out whatever buildings your inspiration sparks atm. We need a lot more to fill out the world and I can restrict the castles etc to the hubs so that's not a problem.

Thanks Stumpy I'm glad to hear that as it will be awesome with you at the controls. I took Val in to my game last night to have a look at the prefabs I'm working on. Going to make some changes and finish up a few more prefabs I'm working on then I'll send them all to a drop box u can pick them up at. This is starting to shape up and I couldn't be more excited!

Also I had the idea of not a good castle but a bad one. Full of decrypted houses. Like a cursed city. If I was to build this could you make that area a separate hub so that we could have specific zombies or monsters spawn in that area? Kinda like the big cities now but all medieval and evil looking.

here are the 2 promised prefabs:

Castle(by_Curbolt) and Fortress(by_Pacco)

I just repaired the prefabs. This means I just fixed the misrotations and Nullblocks.

The fortress from Pacco has Cobblestone-wedges inside. This block has an bug in its block/or textures-table (idk) !!!

This means no matter what i do - it will have always curious misrotated Cobblestone-wedges until TFP fixed this Issue.

The Issue also and especially belongs to a whole prefab Roatation.

So I missed the rotations of the Cobblestone-wedges for now.

(In my Pack are also prefabs that have this mishowing flagstone- and Cobblestone-blocks !!! )

All we can do here is sit and wait (for the bugfix)

anyway - Prefabs are spawning well - have fun with it

Magout

I've tried before in the past, and even just the other day for this very purpose. I simply can't get it to work in my game no matter how long I fiddle with it. I got annoyed and decided to stick with what I know best. I might try it again at some point but I'd for the moment I'd rather spend my time on doing things I know I can do rather than figure out what stupid mistakes I am making that keep making everything fail on me.

I want to make sure you know I'm talking about the World Editor, and not his Prefab Editor. It allows for a "live" manipulation of the game (inserting prefabs, etc). I keep bringing it up because it's very nice to use. :)

I'm checking it out now, and can likely help you get it running. The only thing that's really important is to copy the correct dll over. If you're using a dedi, you would copy "Assembly-CSharp Dedicated.dll" to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die Dedicated Server\7DaysToDieServer_Data\Managed

then backup the existing "Assembly-CSharp.dll" to something else, then rename the "Assembly-CSharp Dedicated.dll" to "Assembly-CSharp.dll".

That's it.

Run the server, log in, type "BBB ?" from the CHAT menu (not the debug menu!), and if it works, you'll know. :)

Guppy cant you give some instructions on how to get it working?

I tried when he first released it and couldn't get it to connect, but then I wasn't running a dedicated but a game on local machine so that might have been why.

Sure thing; the most important thing is editing the file HalGlobal.txt that's going to be found in the dedicated server folder. I made the mistake (several times) of assuming the server port and password were to be used but that's not the case. :)

Install Hal's DLL file (see above).

Start Dedi Server (I'm using the batch file, I couldn't get FRT to work for some reason)

Join Game (this ensures the following file is created)

Exit Server (important!)

Find your dedi folder and edit HalGlobal.txt

Pay attention to the last 4 lines, set the server active to True, add a password, add a port, and set autogenchunks to 10000

Save file

Restart server

Load the World Editor

Connections

Manage

Plus Symbol

Click New Connection (it just got added when you hit the plus symbol)

Name it whatever

Put the IP of the dedi (not localhost, or 127.0.0.1)

Put the port and password you put in HalGlobal.txt a few seconds ago

Save, X that form window

Connections

Choose the connection

Wait a VERY LONG TIME for the chunks to load. It starts at 0,0

Put your 7days into windowed mode to make it easier, then join your dedi

...and check out this video for his take on these instructions:

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, that's what worked for me; the editor is buggy, but like everything, you get used to it.

here are the 2 promised prefabs:

Castle(by_Curbolt) and Fortress(by_Pacco)

I just repaired the prefabs. This means I just fixed the misrotations and Nullblocks.

The fortress from Pacco has Cobblestone-wedges inside. This block has an bug in its block/or textures-table (idk) !!!

This means no matter what i do - it will have always curious misrotated Cobblestone-wedges until TFP fixed this Issue.

The Issue also and especially belongs to a whole prefab Roatation.

So I missed the rotations of the Cobblestone-wedges for now.

(In my Pack are also prefabs that have this mishowing flagstone- and Cobblestone-blocks !!! )

All we can do here is sit and wait (for the bugfix)

anyway - Prefabs are spawning well - have fun with it

Magout

Hi Mag,

There's till quite a few that need fixing in the fortress prefab.

Wood stairs in the main hall, upside down cobble ramps for the supports under the wall walkways (could change to wedgeCabinFlagstone if cobble has issues), the wood steps for the gallows, the angled wedges for the tower corners (both towers). Also the water well wedges :)

Other than that I think it wont need too much tweaking to fit the theme.

The castle uses a lot of modern blocks, gun safes, etc so would need a lot of changes to fit the theme.

Cheers for updating them though, gives us something to work with :)

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers guppy. I did most of that but I think it was having issues finding the game on my local machine so I'll try running a dedi on one of my laptops to see if I can get it to go.

Will be real handy for doing custom hubs.

It's... testy, that's for sure. I've quickly learned that you must really wait for the prefab to be fully inserted before moving onto the next prefab, and that getting in and out of the client redraws the chunks much quicker than moving out of the area, waiting for the chunk to unload, and moving back into the area.

The REALLY rough part is not knowing where a prefab should start on the y axis, so for instance, MY prefabs should all start at -1. Well, not knowing this, and because I only see a red box in game, I place the prefab on the ground, and I get that nice little dirt bump. What's cool, is you can reset the chunk in the editor to "start over". So, it takes some practice, but I truly feel this is the best tool to fill a world with.

Oh yeh, it also helps if you remember to make sure both the server and the client has the same list of prefabs installed. :) Otherwise, you'll be wondering why your custom prefabs aren't showing up like I did for 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there are a few functions not available when running it on a local game, so a dedi is definitely best.

Archived