Medieval Times?

Valmar

Yeah, but if you're going to distribute to the masses....

What does that have to do with it? :p

This is a full mod so using custom blocks in a prefab is fine as the prefabs and the blocks.xml will both be included :)

Exactly. I'm not concerned with it not working with vanilla since I never intended for the prefabs tot be "stand-alone" and are built specifically with this project in mind. This gives me more creative freedom. I can make specific loot groups too. For example looting a elegant lodging owned by a noble will have better loot then some hovel out in the field. Or making a fishing village that has loot more akin to what you'd expect. Lots of possibilities.

Would all of the relevant xmls get pushed to clients?

For the file I shared to add new blocks? Yes. For this mod project when its finished? Probably not. When its done it will have workstations which do not push properly, not to mention custom icons for all the new blocks and such. Though right now I'm more focused on the prefabs since without them the mod is kinda pointless. That make sense?

Would be nice to have a 30-60-90 triangle slope block for buttresses and the like.

Not sure how possible this would be in that I dont know if a shape like that exists. If you can find a block with a shape you like I can take the texture off another block and use it, though.

Here are the shapes that we can use, I believe:

Wedged60Curb

Wedged60CurbCorner

Plate

Pole

Half

Pyramid

Wedged

WedgedCornerFull

WedgedInnerFull

Cone

Table

Pole1m

Wedged60Full

Stairs

Wedged60Tip

BillboardSingleOnWall

PlateCentered

Wedged60Curb

Wedged60CurbCorner

Bush

Branch

Pole0.5m

i would like to see action to these words i see here!

Its going to take a while. A long while. Its a bit amusing, however, to me anyway, that for once the challenge isn't the xml changes. Making the XML changes to fit with the theme, while time consuming, shouldn't be difficult. Building prefabs and setting up the rwgmixer to use said prefabs to make a convincing random gen medieval world? Oh boy... lol

That is a possibility and probably the best thing to do but the amount of time to do that would be.... [shudder]

Its a big map. Though again, its a possibility. From what I understand I can set prefabs in the world using Hals so after I have enough of them built I could go around the map and place them where they would look best. Step one is getting the prefabs though.

Also, I retract some of my earlier arrogance about the xml editing. There will be some challenge there. Apple trees, fishing, new farm plants, the possibility of crops being "rotten" or "plagued", the new enemies, new healing items...There will be some work to put into it for sure. But it sounds fun so I'm looking forward to when I can can really focus on it. Until I get the prefabs done though it would be a lot of work for nothing. One step at a time.

Another thought: I don't necessarily have to wait for an entire nav sized map to be made. If I had at least a decent amount of POIs and one or two cities that should be enough to put in a random gen world and keep it entertaining for a little while. It would still need more, certainly, as diversity in prefabs and cities is important for the overall experience, but it would at least be a good "Early stage" for the mod. I can keep adding to it with the end game being the goal of having a full nav-sized map set up with unique housings and whatnot scattered around. But like Guppy pointed out, that will be a long process. I don't see it being necessary to wait until EVERYTHING is done before making the mod available. If that makes sense.

This is why I'm thinking maybe a set layout like Navezgane would work better.

you are correct , random gen, while big ... probably not your best bet... useing nav not only would be best used but also would bring that map back to use !

- - - Updated - - -

actually what you need are big enough castles about 4 should be good just to start off, then people can start making added things like mud houses , straw houses and what not! without models the game will look wierd, so you might wanna get some modelers in on this one!

@DTD7

Like I said, a preset map may indeed be the end goal. Though I can always just place them there the prefabs are finished, if I understand what I've been told about Hal's editor.

Rather than nave's map, however, what I might do instead is start up a map that is set to spawn NOTHING man-made. Just nature. Then I will explore the entire thing to map it out (oh boy! teleports for hours!) and, should I like the majority of the world, I will go around and start placing prefabs. Though Im not sure how big the random gen map is now. Is it smaller or bigger than Nave?

@Guppy

Like the Imperial City huh lol.

Lore is... well a bit undecided. At first it was just going to be a medieval setting world with zombies. Straightforward. Though I've been tossing a few ideas around with friends and I'm thinking of adding a /bit/ of a fantasy twist on things. Instead of just zombies maybe they're Blighted. Or the surged. The forsakened. The damned. Words words words. Curses, demons. With this content having fire zombies makes more sense. Instead of being "infected" players can be cursed. And to cure it they use holy water or go pray at a church.

Though in the end it doesn't matter much. Its just zombies in a medieval timeframe. Until quests are properly implemented into the game I won't be able to really explain the situation to players anyway.

As you know I am in the process of creating a medieval mod myself. I am using the Navz map. The approach I am taking so far is going to each existing prefab on the map and making a new medival one to replace it. Although when I'm completed I will move things around a bit so it's not the same layout with different houses ect. So far this has been productive for me. I have busted out 24 prefabs in 3 days. That's castles and towers as well. Hals tool is so awesome. So if you get a little stumped on where to start perhaps try the method I am using with going from one old prefab to the next and making a new medieval one in place of it. Good luck to you!

Perhaps I shall. As it stands I have a nice large, flat woodland area with a few buildings on it. I should be able to port those over to the Nav map later. When Im done with the work-in-progress there I could bring it over into nav and set it somewhere. Although knowing me all the buildings would need to go. Maybe setting all the building-blocks to "Upgraderated" to air will be enough. Just walk into a town and watch everything go to hell and the world around me crumbles lol.

We shall see.

I'm a bit more pleased with a village building:

2r5g26e.jpg

I'll likely modify my current castle now that I'm becoming more familiar with these weird (to me) ass blocks I've never really used before. BTW, roofs are a real treat, if you've never really done them before. :)

- - - Updated - - -

...I know somethings still downgrade oddly...

Speaking of, adobe roof corners have 7000 hit points, because they downgrade to concrete corners.

Rest assured when the mod is out those shouldn't be a problem. A lot of the "downgrade" and "upgrade" paths will be altered in some way.

Also, lovely house. The use of wood fence for windows is inspired, wish I thought of that. I just made a new shutters block to use lol.

Rest assured when the mod is out those shouldn't be a problem. A lot of the "downgrade" and "upgrade" paths will be altered in some way.

Also, lovely house. The use of wood fence for windows is inspired, wish I thought of that. I just made a new shutters block to use lol.

I'm tempted to use non vanilla blocks, but... on a roll now. I just wish there were more rotations. The wood fence windows would be much better if they were vertical. <shrug>

I finished a small keep, I like it a lot better than my castle. Had to fudge a few corner blocks that don't quite match, but it still looks better than having no corner blocks at all.

But, I'm done for now; taking a break, because the moment has passed. :)

2eehjf8.jpg

28ivzmd.jpg

Archived