Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

24 minutes ago, JVOSS18 said:

Watching #Sgt. Kelvin streaming with friends. Spacial texture,as teammates move is friggin awesome!! New variant and POI are OMG. Can't wait for console and cross play. Thanks to all the TFP CREW!!

They have outdone themselves with this release from what i can tell so far, I cannot wait for what the future has in store, i know its not everyones thing, but id totally buy armor packs and stuff to add to the game just to help fund their future endevours

2 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

They have outdone themselves with this release from what i can tell so far, I cannot wait for what the future has in store, i know its not everyones thing, but id totally buy armor packs and stuff to add to the game just to help fund their future endevours

I honestly wouldn't mind buying the odd POI Pack (appreviated to P.P... heh, pp) from them. :)

9 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Has anyone else noticed when cooking stuff in the campfire, then leaving to quest or whatever, that sometimes the crafted foods/drinks just disappear?

I've had this happen twice. 

Also, my FPS seems to be worse with 1.0. I haven't even made it to the city yet, still in rural towns.

Check your graphics settings.  Mine were changed to default and was really laggy.  After I fixed them, it's running really smoothly.

For those which have a lower framerate in the forest biome compared to A21 - check the new "shadow quality" setting.

Reducing quality from High to Medium results (for me) in additional 30+ FPS in the forest.

On the other hand, "shadow distance" is nearly at no cost atm... i'm running it ultra+ for now 😁

Been noticing some issues with Challenges, specifically the pipe harvesting. Tells you to harvest pipes from sinks, so I do so, but receive no credit. Same for toilets.

Also not liking that zombies are just damage sponges now on normal difficulty. Feels less like "challenge" and more like over-correcting. And not fond of the Day 1 biker zombies.

Edited by Old Crow (see edit history)

10 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Has anyone noticed that occasionally when you stop running, your character continues gliding forward for half a second or so? It's nothing too bad, but a couple zombies got some cheap hits on me when I basically kissed them even after letting go of my keyboard. 😛

That happens to me in Conan Exiles. The only way for me to stop it is to cap my frames at 60fps. 

I played for a collective 15 hours in 1.0 and haven't had that happen.

2 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Yeah it completely reset mine too. So I tweaked it back to the way I had it on A21 & I'm like 10 frames off. 

When I tried A16 last year, the same thing happened. So a couple days ago I asked Faatal here if it would happen switching from A21 to 1.0 and he said yes. 

I screen shot all my settings for A21. The mouse sens doesn't match though. 1.0 is slower.

0.15 in 1.0 feels more like 0.1 in A21.

And vehicle sens is weird too. It's nowhere near as snappy as in A21. It almost feels like there's deceleration or something. 

Edited by Arez (see edit history)

4 hours ago, bdubyah said:

I would also say the item inventory sounds might need a bit of tweaking as well. Putting wood into forges and campfires one at a time is...not pleasant.

Yeah, this for sure, the raw iron sound somehow seems louder than all the others and can be grating to one's ears. The other sounds are quite pleasant, although I have noticed that sometimes the default/old pickup sound is quieter than the others. Breaking plastic also might need a tweak, it sounds more like someone dropping a bunch of thin wood sheet scraps on the floor instead (and it's made me and several other streamers I've watched think their tool broke!). My favorite new sound is the ammo one. I love the little jingle they make now. :)

btw the new decals for POIs are incredibly cool—shoutout to whoever made those! The newspapers and stuff are really cool. (Ironically though, the ones on the non-tile asphalt are not breakable. Just the new ones in the POIs, if anyone wasn't sure!). And the fact that the gore versions give rotten flesh is also sweet!

The new POIs/remnants are also great. The one thing I hoped for were more trailers/tiny POIs and the POI team delivered! They look great, feel great, and performance isn't bad despite my system being a little older than normal (and low-to-mid range by today's standards). There's still noticable drops, but that's to be expected on a pretty mid/low-tier CPU and I am not complaining!

So far it's going really well, definitely tougher than A21 and a bit of a struggle for a bit. I think I got really lucky, just as I was about to starve to death I killed a zombie and it dropped a loot bag with a meat stew in it. 🙏 Getting food is definitely a huge challenge this time around (and it's great). First time I ever prioritized killing a deer over a zombie in the middle of the night, that's for sure. Wandering hordes are terrifying now, early game they really make you think... should I engage with them or will they devour me? I should mention I'm playing full perception (spears/rifles) so that might be contributing.

(Sorry for word-vomitting as a response to your comment, btw!)

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

There are lunar phases, but your first night is always a full moon. :)

Is this perhaps the reason why nights are much lighter right now? I have only played one night so far.

12 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

UYHV1wb.png

First ever 1.0 world. Looks great. :)

Looks really nice, but can anyone explain me what is meant with the warning regarding the trader progression? I want to make my own map but I don´t want to break the traders.

The inventory wood sound effect either needs variation or a completely new sound. 

The inventory sound for drinks in glass jars sounds like an empty tin can. 

The levels are inconsistent. The original inventory sound effect, which is still in place for many items, is much quieter than the others. 

This is a bit of a nitpicky one, but, while the new thunder sounds great, it's no longer directional. 

I did notice that the body dropping sound after killing a zombie is in sync with the animation now. That soothes my OCD. Thanks.

And I was trying to show some people the way the blood sprays out of a zombie's face. I killed the zombie before I could bash his face off, so I decided to keep hitting him in the face and he yelled at me...after death.

That's my audio review so far.

2 hours ago, Arez said:

The inventory wood sound effect either needs variation or a completely new sound. 

The inventory sound for drinks in glass jars sounds like an empty tin can. 

The levels are inconsistent. The original inventory sound effect, which is still in place for many items, is much quieter than the others. 

This is a bit of a nitpicky one, but, while the new thunder sounds great, it's no longer directional. 

I did notice that the body dropping sound after killing a zombie is in sync with the animation now. That soothes my OCD. Thanks.

And I was trying to show some people the way the blood sprays out of a zombie's face. I killed the zombie before I could bash his face off, so I decided to keep hitting him in the face and he yelled at me...after death.

That's my audio review so far.

The spray audio is cool but should be randomized with more flowing blood audio (like 1:15 ratio). After 3 decapitations in a row I already had enough of the spray sound tbh

The new sounds added are pretty good touch, indeed.

Some balance would be needed though, such as more consistent volumes, there is also one buzzing sound in the forest biome that sounds like some big assh bug is having a tantrum. 

P.S The lake with the bridge is awesome ! Props to the POI team !

Overall feedback so far : I can't stop playing 🤘

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

4 hours ago, ScipioAsmodean said:

Is this perhaps the reason why nights are much lighter right now? I have only played one night so far.

Looks really nice, but can anyone explain me what is meant with the warning regarding the trader progression? I want to make my own map but I don´t want to break the traders.

From what i have read, each trader now spawns in a specific biome and the trader quest system sends you to a specific trader (a specific biome) when discovering/questing for a new trader. Meaning:

- natural trader progression os "locked" into a specific order, so you "discover" traders in a specific order when using trader quests, and therefore also always travel to the same biomes in the same order, in every game.

- if you don't have all the biomes generated, you will be missing a trader for each biome you do not have.

- missing a trader means you wont be able to use trader quests to be lead you to the next trader..... unless you are only missing the wasteland biome (i think) as thats the last biome/trader you are sent to.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

From what i have read, each trader now spawns in a specific biome and the trader quest system sends you to a specific trader (a specific biome) when discovering/questing for a new trader. Meaning:

- natural trader progression os "locked" into a specific order, so you "discover" traders in a specific order when using trader quests, and therefore also always travel to the same biomes in the same order, in every game.

- if you don't have all the biomes generated, you will be missing a trader for each biome you do not have.

- missing a trader means you wont be able to use trader quests to be lead you to the next trader..... unless you are only missing the wasteland biome (i think) as thats the last biome/trader you are sent to.

Thanks. So it probably won´t change anything regarding trader progression if I have still all the biomes.  Interesting.