Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

On 9/3/2024 at 9:35 PM, meganoth said:

Just put one point into the hunter perk and you will still see animals, granted not as much as before, but enough to occassionally lose one to a zombie

I probably only ever put 1 point in that point once (back in A21), just to see how it worked; thanks but i'm very selective in where my points go and they are always badly needed elsewhere since v1 came along 😁 (in A21 i was quite selective with points but not as much as i have to do now in v1); i'm glad the game is becoming more difficult, but virtually no animals being seen is taking things a little far (as is overdoing the screamer mechanic but there's a whole thread dedicated to that particular chestnut so i won't digress further into that)

Edited by GigglingZombie (see edit history)

Screamers are a bit much, but are really just an annoyance.  Animals aren't really that bad unless you stay in one small area.  I find more than enough. Sure, they are harder to find, but not really a problem.  They could probably be increased a bit in the forest, though.

4 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Screamers are a bit much, but are really just an annoyance.  Animals aren't really that bad unless you stay in one small area.  I find more than enough. Sure, they are harder to find, but not really a problem.  They could probably be increased a bit in the forest, though.

Better worded than me re the animals, we definitely should see a (few) more in the Pine Forest - it is a forest after all; i know we have the awesome zombies-eat-killed-animals mechanic, and being as they don't eat live animals, we should indeed see a few more animals in the nice green forest areas

3 hours ago, GigglingZombie said:

I probably only ever put 1 point in that point once (back in A21), just to see how it worked; thanks but i'm very selective in where my points go and they are always badly needed elsewhere since v1 came along 😁 (in A21 i was quite selective with points but not as much as i have to do now in v1); i'm glad the game is becoming more difficult, but virtually no animals being seen is taking things a little far (as is overdoing the screamer mechanic but there's a whole thread dedicated to that particular chestnut so i won't digress further into that)

Meat is not hard to find you just have to move around a little and do things differently.

Forest - go out at night to find deer - many farm POI often have pigs

Burnt forest seems to have quite a few pigs and snakes during the day

Snow biome - lots of cats, wolves and some bears during the day

Desert has a bunch of coyotes if you can find them after shooting them, they seem to fly forever. 

Wasteland - lots of bears during the day, (turn zombie it appears at night, but great for red loot bags)

2 hours ago, Exxodous said:

Desert has a bunch of coyotes if you can find them after shooting them, they seem to fly forever. 

Don't they always come back to try again after a while?  That's what it has seemed like to me.  They run away just to be more easily killed on the return.  That has been my experience so far; an easy lunch that comes to find you.  

1 hour ago, Dreyseth said:

Don't they always come back to try again after a while?  That's what it has seemed like to me.  They run away just to be more easily killed on the return.  That has been my experience so far; an easy lunch that comes to find you.  

They meant when you kill them and they go flying.  They do tend to land a long ways away from you, just like vultures.  Fun to do, but a pain when you want the meat.

12 hours ago, Exxodous said:

Meat is not hard to find you just have to move around a little and do things differently.

Forest - go out at night to find deer - many farm POI often have pigs

Burnt forest seems to have quite a few pigs and snakes during the day

Snow biome - lots of cats, wolves and some bears during the day

Wasteland - lots of bears during the day, (turn zombie it appears at night, but great for red loot bags)

thanks, i know all this; it's just that in early game, when you get bogged down in in the usual early game things, finding a base, staying alive, doing some quests etc etc, travelling too far to get food isn't always an option. early game can be very punishing in v1. I'm not complaining, all the extra challenge is good for the soul, my point is/was that (even if just for game atmosphere) it would be nice to see just a bit more wildlife

11 hours ago, Riamus said:

They meant when you kill them and they go flying.  They do tend to land a long ways away from you, just like vultures.  Fun to do, but a pain when you want the meat.

Speaking of desert, coyotes and vultures. If you kill a coyote in desert will the vultures swoop down and devour the coyote like zombies will if in range. I haven't tried yet.

2 hours ago, Gamida said:

Speaking of desert, coyotes and vultures. If you kill a coyote in desert will the vultures swoop down and devour the coyote like zombies will if in range. I haven't tried yet.

It doesn't, but should. Great idea. Fun Pimps, get on it, please.

23 hours ago, Exxodous said:

LOL. Ain't that the truth.

Vultures too. I want the damn feathers, but the vulture flew two POIs over and I'll fail the quest if I go harvest it. I've tried "putting English" on the vulture, tried to line them up with a wall in the background. I've tried not power attacking with the club. Sometimes. Sometimes! I get to keep the vulture. :)

Overall though, I can maybe kind of see how somebody who doesn't venture out at night and is narrowly focused on questing during the day might conclude there isn't enough hunting. I can also see on a server with many players how their can really be a shortage of spawns. But single player and willing to hunt at night -- I'm never short on meat.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

I think the problem more lies in the fact that hunting isn't challenging. The AI for the animals is of low quality, and it's easier to spray a machine gun at them than stalking and taking one down methodically. I'm asking a lot perhaps of a game that tries to touch on every sort of genre, but that would certainly be enjoyable to me at the very least.

7 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

I think the problem more lies in the fact that hunting isn't challenging. The AI for the animals is of low quality, and it's easier to spray a machine gun at them than stalking and taking one down methodically. I'm asking a lot perhaps of a game that tries to touch on every sort of genre, but that would certainly be enjoyable to me at the very least.

I think that if in "real life" hunters used machine guns instead of rifles (or bows) it would be too easy for them too.

Maybe a bit messy though.

It's like some guys that fish with explosives.

It's effective but damaging to the ecosystem, that's why in some places is prohibited by law.

This is one of the disappointing things about crafting level 6 items. The purple crossbow below took 150 steel and over 25 minutes to craft. It's inferior to the level 4 that I was using. Similarly, I have a half-dozen purple steel clubs that don't hold up to a blue one I'd found.

Would the devs be willing to talk about the stat ranges on items?:

1) Found
2) Received as rewards
3) Crafted

image.thumb.jpeg.35014ae795b1672596ccc3c9a293f81a.jpeg

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

45 minutes ago, Morloc said:

The purple crossbow below took 150 steel and over 25 minutes to craft. It's inferior to the level 4 that I was using.

That's normal. It's balanced by the fact that you can slot-in more mods in the purple.

But I agree they should make it a little less DP (I created a new word "Down-Powered" :nerd:).

1 hour ago, Morloc said:

This is one of the disappointing things about crafting level 6 items. The purple crossbow below took 150 steel and over 25 minutes to craft. It's inferior to the level 4 that I was using. Similarly, I have a half-dozen purple steel clubs that don't hold up to a blue one I'd found.

1) Found
2) Received as rewards
3) Crafted

I hope if they do tweak the stats of items they tweak the hp or add more types

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

That's normal. It's balanced by the fact that you can slot-in more mods in the purple.

But I agree they should make it a little less DP (I created a new word "Down-Powered" :nerd:).

Yeah, it isn't as clear as we might like, but fill in all mid slots and then compare.  Not only do you get the benefits of the extra mod, but each mod adds damage, so that extra mod slot should also mean more damage.  I don't use bows or crossbows, so I haven't compared damage on them, but that should be what you see.

2 hours ago, Morloc said:

1) Found
2) Received as rewards
3) Crafted

I think there is still the problem that loaded type of bolt also influences the comparison of damage. Load both with same type of bolt if you want to compare.

I say this because even in previous alphas (AFAIK) the random range was not enough to reach over two quality levels. And checking the XML right now the random variation currently is only 4%, which is much less than I remember. While each quality step adds 8% damage. If I read this correctly there is no overlap anymore:

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value="-.02,.02" tags="perkArchery"/> <!-- random EntityDmg -->
                <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value=".08,.4" tier="2,6" tags="perkArchery"/> <!-- tier bonus -->

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 9/7/2024 at 4:47 PM, Jost Amman said:

On 9/7/2024 at 6:36 PM, Riamus said:

Yeah, it isn't as clear as we might like, but fill in all mid slots and then compare.  Not only do you get the benefits of the extra mod, but each mod adds damage, so that extra mod slot should also mean more damage.

Negative. The level 4 crossbow has 4 slots just like the level 6 (no game mods).

On 9/7/2024 at 6:54 PM, meganoth said:

I think there is still the problem that loaded type of bolt also influences the comparison of damage. Load both with same type of bolt if you want to compare.

Yes!...that is the issue! 12.5 more damage, but only if I had the steel bolt selected AND loaded.
Thank you. Apologies to the devs for presuming this was an RNG range thing. ...Though there are still the clubs. They were in my last game, but that was blue vs. purple which I could understand more easily.

Edited by Morloc (see edit history)

Would it be picky if I was to ask if we could simply be able to close doors and hatches again once they get unlocked.

20240907203209-1.jpg

It has an annoying illogical element of function or in this case the lack of function a hinged door simply not closing again..  

Edited by Jay_ombie (see edit history)