Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

My psychiatrist told me I should punch a teddy bear instead of replying to posts here 😉

This may be a strange question, or maybe it belongs in the Mods forum, but is there a way for us to raise the total points per tier necessary while also keeping the quest-per-day progress at a larger value?  With longer days set I feel like this could provide decent balance.

I have the Daylight Length set to 16 Hours as I like a longer night. That used to match with the trader opening time (at 0600), but now traders open at 0400.

I was playing a Day 7 Horde. I didn't make a horde base, so I was fighting while mobile, basically doing laps around Trader Rekt's place the entire time.

At 0400 -- during the horde night -- Trader Rekt opened up. I opened his gates ... he might as well join the fun. I could run around inside the compound during the horde night. Sometimes I would get teleported out and sometimes I wouldn't.

I want to think there's a possible exploit here in that I might be able to spend part of a horde night in an indestructible fortress. I'm tempted to set the Daylight Length to 12 hours for the next horde night.

I suspect what would be best for the game is if the Traders open at whenever the day starts, rather than a fixed time.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

Since when is a configurable option (one that you can configure in either the server settings for a multiplayer server or in the advance settings for SP) an example of developers dictating how to play the game?

There have been a lot of requests by players in the past for a way to limit trader progression in either their SP games, on their servers, or as part of a mod.  TFP added this ability as a configurable option that you can change from 1 to 8 quests per day as counting towards trader progression.

It feels like we are getting upset over something that is easy to configure, - maybe bias to react in an angry manner before checking out what exactly changed and how it might actually impact one's game?

1 hour ago, BloodDeacon said:

This may be a strange question, or maybe it belongs in the Mods forum, but is there a way for us to raise the total points per tier necessary while also keeping the quest-per-day progress at a larger value?  With longer days set I feel like this could provide decent balance.

You can change the number of quests required to advance the tier, and possibly the value of the quests when you complete them, through xml - but I think the number of total points needed for the next tier is setup as a calculation based on the quests required per tier and the difficulty value of the tier in question.

Vanilla Settings

• Quests per tier - 10
  • Tier 1 - 1 point per
  • Tier 2 - 2 points per
  • Tier 3 - 3 points per
  • You get the picture

So the game calculates 10*1 = 10 points for tier 2 advancement, 10*2 = 20 points for tier 3 advancement

If you changes quests per tier from 10 to 7 (A21 setting), then it would be:

7*1 = 7 points to Tier 2, 7*2 = 14 points to Tier 3

On 7/11/2024 at 10:41 AM, Adam the Waster said:

I think it would be cool if the forest had another tree like Birch. 

More plant life and colorings like purple.  Light green, and even wild crops growing like corn, blueberries, potatoes etc. Wild cactus growing in the forest. 

The old maple forest is a great example and the plains

Asked about adding birch seeds years ago. Where I live they are plentyful and would have loved to have a grove of them around my base.

1 hour ago, GRITTY said:

i didn't realize this would be such a touchy subject.

I think the more "touchy" responses are a result of the following:

1. As others have stated, it's odd and frankly bewildering to complain about a feature by saying the devs are dictating the way to play, when they are literally giving you an option to play the way you want. It's a default setting. All games have them. This is nothing unique to 7 days. You are free to change it.
  2. Even when there is an aspect of the game you can't control via game/server settings, TFP made this game moddable for a reason. The devs, again, are giving you the freedom to play the way you want provided you take to the time to install or build the mods of your choice.
  3. The whole "TFP are forcing me to play a certain way" is such an old and tired argument at this point. It's cliche. Given point number 2, this argument holds no weight. And before anyone comes at me with "I prefer to play vanilla", that's your choice. I have no idea why some players have this weird stigma with using mods. If it makes the game more enjoyable to you, do it. 

33 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Since when is a configurable option (one that you can configure in either the server settings for a multiplayer server or in the advance settings for SP) an example of developers dictating how to play the game?

There have been a lot of requests by players in the past for a way to limit trader progression in either their SP games, on their servers, or as part of a mod.  TFP added this ability as a configurable option that you can change from 1 to 8 quests per day as counting towards trader progression.

It feels like we are getting upset over something that is easy to configure, - maybe bias to react in an angry manner before checking out what exactly changed and how it might actually impact one's game?

my reaction isn't an angry one, more of a perplexed, "why add this in the first place?"  i understand it can be configured, i was wondering the why behind it.

30 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

I think the more "touchy" responses are a result of the following:

1. As others have stated, it's odd and frankly bewildering to complain about a feature by saying the devs are dictating the way to play, when they are literally giving you an option to play the way you want. It's a default setting. All games have them. This is nothing unique to 7 days. You are free to change it.
  2. Even when there is an aspect of the game you can't control via game/server settings, TFP made this game moddable for a reason. The devs, again, are giving you the freedom to play the way you want provided you take to the time to install or build the mods of your choice.
  3. The whole "TFP are forcing me to play a certain way" is such an old and tired argument at this point. It's cliche. Given point number 2, this argument holds no weight. And before anyone comes at me with "I prefer to play vanilla", that's your choice. I have no idea why some players have this weird stigma with using mods. If it makes the game more enjoyable to you, do it. 

you've made several assumptions...i come here in good faith to have a conversation about this.  

1.  i understand it is an option.  i was wondering why they added it.  i'm not angry at all. 

2. i myself use mods and if there is a mod to totally remove this, i will use it.

3. if there is a limit on how many quests i can do, they are, in your terms "forcing me to play their way" because i can only do up to 8 per day.  as a player with around 5800 hours, i can grind quests and get a bike day 2.  with this change, i can no longer do that.

12 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

my reaction isn't an angry one, more of a perplexed, "why add this in the first place?"  i understand it can be configured, i was wondering the why behind it.

Because some players (or server owners) wanted the ability to limit progression. It's not complicated. Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes.

1 minute ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Because some players (or server owners) wanted the ability to limit progression. It's not complicated. Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes.

i'm not on here frequently so i didn't know server owners wanted to limit progression.  if i would have known that, i wouldn't have asked the question in the first place :) 

hence my question

8 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

you've made several assumptions...i come here in good faith to have a conversation about this.  

1.  i understand it is an option.  i was wondering why they added it.  i'm not angry at all. 

2. i myself use mods and if there is a mod to totally remove this, i will use it.

3. if there is a limit on how many quests i can do, they are, in your terms "forcing me to play their way" because i can only do up to 8 per day.  as a player with around 5800 hours, i can grind quests and get a bike day 2.  with this change, i can no longer do that.

Then you should be up front with the problem you have with the limitation rather than beating around the bush.  While it's possible you are accomplishing this with default settings, that seems unlikely.   It's possible the devs did not consider, for example, how the limitation might affect someone who plays with traders always open and 2 hour days.  But I'm not sure how a limitation of 16 quests across 2 days would prevent someone from completing the 10ish quests necessary to get the bike reward.

Edited by Kosmic Kerman (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Then you should be up front with the problem you have with the limitation rather than beating around the bush.  While it's possible you are accomplishing this with default settings, that seems unlikely.   It's possible the devs did not consider, for example, how the limitation might affect someone who plays with traders always open and 2 hour days.

i spend a lot of time doing buried quests and fetches.   i have buried supplies down to a science and can usually get them done without spawning a bunch of zombies to kill.  also, i play 90 minute days and don't mod anything related to quests/daytime

21 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

i spend a lot of time doing buried quests and fetches.   i have buried supplies down to a science and can usually get them done without spawning a bunch of zombies to kill.  also, i play 90 minute days and don't mod anything related to quests/daytime

Assuming you are able to complete 8 quests the first day, you'd still be able to compete the other quests first thing on day two leading to the same result - bike on day 2.

Just now, Kosmic Kerman said:

Assuming you are able to complete 8 quests the first day, you'd still be able to compete the other quests first thing on day two leading to the same result - bike on day 2.

i understand that...and you answered my initial question which was "why" did they add it.  to give server owners the option to limit progression.  i understand also that i could make a mod to remove it or increase it if i want to...

we can let this dead horse die 

51 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Hell they added birch trees long ago

Idkw they removed them

They never made them plantable. I don't know why.  I think a base with birch trees surrounding it looks great...also easier to see around without all the bushy limbs :)

4 hours ago, GRITTY said:

i posted about the quest progression limit on the other thread but wanted other's thoughts on the subject...

image.png.68bcf117769ab343780bd4b684cad810.png

you can change it up to 8 but what is the point of limiting us to 3 per day to begin with?image.png.64b5a7f095a0d1abaa8283c2c32d88ba.png

Yeah, 3 is a bit messed up, imo.  That means day 4 is the earliest to get a bike if you use default settings.  No, thanks.  I hate running everywhere.  At least it can be changed... unlike the horrible red icon for it that stays on your screen.  I'll probably set this to 8 just to never have to see that icon even though I'll never do that many quests in a day.

14 minutes ago, Arma Rex said:

@faatal I know it's not really your department, but is there any chance the little bear will get their own unique model? Perhaps changing it to look like a black bear or something similar.

That's what I thought they were going to do. 

Maybe they could do the color placement could be placed on animals too

Like wolfs could be Grey, black, light Grey, white, light brown. 

Etc

2 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

@faatal I know it's not really your department, but is there any chance the little bear will get their own unique model? Perhaps changing it to look like a black bear or something similar.

No plans for adding any new animals or color variants at this time.